PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Island Hunting

Deer_Slayer
11-15-2017, 12:49 PM
Any advice on hunting the island? Went over on long weekend for a first time island hunt and was dismayed at lack of access. Everywhere we went the logging roads were all gated off with and posted no hunting, trespassing, camping etc etc. We went from Nanaimo and up to Parksville, Horn Lake and it sucked. Is the entire southern island this way? Does a person have to go way up to north part of island? Any advice would be appreciated.

Fella
11-15-2017, 12:51 PM
Welcome to our world. You gotta go north if you want to have access.

Deer_Slayer
11-15-2017, 12:56 PM
Thanks. Guess that answers my question. Never seen that before. Well next time it's north we go. Happy hunting bud

Fella
11-15-2017, 01:13 PM
Thanks. Guess that answers my question. Never seen that before. Well next time it's north we go. Happy hunting bud
Yeah most of the South Island is owned by a couple timber companies. Some guys have ways around the gates but...

Drillbit
11-15-2017, 01:28 PM
You could try the Island section instead of the Mainland.

Might get more info there.

Harv
11-15-2017, 02:03 PM
theres no deer up here! haha

IronNoggin
11-15-2017, 02:04 PM
You could try the Island section instead of the Mainland.

Might get more info there.

Sadly, He ain't going to learn a whole lot over there either.
It is what it is at this point.
Gates EVERY Effing Where, with Pseudo-Nazi's wearing security bibs running the asylum. :mad:
Pretty much a disaster.

One way or another, I suspect things will be a little different next year. ;)
But for now, we are stuck with What Is...

Ticked, And Working On This...
Nog

IslandWanderer
11-15-2017, 02:22 PM
I’m thinking of taking my son to Gold River this weekend. Does anyone know the gate situation around there?

boblly1
11-15-2017, 03:16 PM
you should be ok up there as most of the area up there is crown land

Wagonmaster
11-15-2017, 03:33 PM
Why on earth would you want to come over to the Island to hunt? Maybe get out for a bit if you're here for other reasons as well, but, man, get on the road and head up to the Interior. As a Victoria resident, I would describe Island hunting this way - lots of gates, steep, wet, impenetrable second growth, and small deer that are only found in small pockets here and there.

Sharpish
11-15-2017, 03:40 PM
Gold river and the north island are wide open but unproductive in my experience. The opposite is true for South Island.

steel_ram
11-15-2017, 04:20 PM
What the last two posters said. The North Island deer population is at a low. Guys that are getting the deer are hunting closer to town. Those getting them in the back country know where those few pockets of animals are. Coming here blind you will be doing a lot of driving over a deer desert instead of hunting. Some nice country and you'll probably see some elk though.

I was just up Sayward ways. Gates were only where they were working.

IslandWanderer
11-15-2017, 04:57 PM
I see 20 bears for every deer- not including the deer on my lawn that is.

IslandWanderer
11-15-2017, 04:58 PM
Gold river and the north island are wide open but unproductive in my experience. The opposite is true for South Island.

We’re hoping for a late season 2nd bear.

604redneck
11-15-2017, 05:15 PM
Guess your doing it wrong......

303savage
11-15-2017, 05:35 PM
Some of the biggest bucks I've seen in the last few years on the rock have been in towns eating the shrubbery.

finngun
11-15-2017, 06:07 PM
Stay out of island,,,,unless you pa owns big land there...or ya gonna go salmon fishing,,well costco is cheaper anyways..

Sharpish
11-15-2017, 08:38 PM
We’re hoping for a late season 2nd bear.

North island is loaded with bear. Awesome late May. You see far fewer at this time of year. Although they don't truly hibernate sometimes many would be denned up.

Gate wise you're good in gold river, Campbell lake, port hardy

IslandWanderer
11-15-2017, 09:33 PM
North island is loaded with bear. Awesome late May. You see far fewer at this time of year. Although they don't truly hibernate sometimes many would be denned up.

Gate wise you're good in gold river, Campbell lake, port hardy

Much appreciated. We got one Saturday around Holberg/winter harbour, it was the only bear we saw the whole trip though. They’re definitely laying low. We enjoy driving around eating sandwiches and listening to tunes, so as long as there’s access we’re happy.

Deer_Slayer
11-16-2017, 04:42 PM
Thanks...I saw that. Just wanted to give it a try

11-16-2017, 05:06 PM
do you live here? if so keep at it.... eventually you will piece something together.... lots of big deer get shot in those areas you mentioned....
if you don't live here,,, your money is better spent else where.... unless you are just bombing around with a friend....

aside from the fact Blacktails are called Ghosts for a damned good reason... you get the gates..... and you get the high density of hunters..... and you get the weather... the island is the proving ground for patience and dedication in Hunting.
anyone can go to the interior blind and shoot a mulie or whitetail..... but you not going to just come here blind and shoot an Island Blacktail...

Spy
11-16-2017, 08:20 PM
do you live here? if so keep at it.... eventually you will piece something together.... lots of big deer get shot in those areas you mentioned....
if you don't live here,,, your money is better spent else where.... unless you are just bombing around with a friend....

aside from the fact Blacktails are called Ghosts for a damned good reason... you get the gates..... and you get the high density of hunters..... and you get the weather...and you get the predators, wolves, bears, cougars & the Keepers of the night with their billion lumen spot lights poaching 365 days a year, with gate keys to the Islands gates, the island is the proving ground for patience and dedication in Hunting.
anyone can go to the interior blind and shoot a mulie or whitetail..... but you not going to just come here blind and shoot an Island Blacktail...
.................................................. fixed it for you

11-17-2017, 11:02 AM
I was trying to give the guy some hope Mike...

srthomas75
11-17-2017, 11:37 AM
I think right now they are easy pickins. Yesterday at work ( Shawnigan lake area) I had 4 bucks hanging out within 100’ from me. Also with one doe. Three of em were about 40’ away at one point. Then they bedded down for an hour or so. I was making noise etc as I’m framing a house. I took pictures and videos and will see about posting them later on. I also say another fork buck on the way home.

Fella
11-17-2017, 12:10 PM
I was trying to give the guy some hope Mike...
Dru, its better if he has the same sense of despair that the rest of us experience lol

11-17-2017, 12:51 PM
your framing a house... ergo Subdivision.... they don't count!
I drove by 2 Massive 120ish bucks walking through my parking lot at work 2 weeks ago.... !

tinhorse
11-17-2017, 12:59 PM
The town bucks and the bush bucks are 2 completely different creatures..... Don't think that because you see some bucks standing in peoples yards that look like easy pickings that they will be that way out in the cut blocks....Not even close!

Quince
11-18-2017, 09:58 PM
5x5 within 10 feet at work. No chance of catching guys like this out of town @ 10 ft

steel_ram
11-19-2017, 11:53 AM
It is weird walking past a 150 lb 5 point in my front yard to drive 2 hours and be happy to take a 100 lb fork in legal hunting land.

Spirit's Master
11-19-2017, 09:26 PM
Hunting the Island for 9 years. First 5 years, lots of deer hunts that turned into grouse hunts that turned into mushroom picks...0 deer taken. Last 4 years, 8 deer taken... 5 bucks, 3 does and still 3 weeks to hunt this season. Many grouse and pounds of delicious Chantrelles and Matsutaki plundered.

I've had the same set of tires for 5 years but I've worn out 4 pairs of boots.

Keep your spots secret and get out of the truck.

Love this place. Add another buck from this morning.

cwf