PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Hunting Trip

chaser10
11-14-2017, 05:35 PM
Not in BC, but went back home to Alberta for a quick hunting trip. Got my first moose and an elk. Game populations sure are exploding over there. At least in the areas where we were hunting. Herds of 300+ elk everyday.

VFX_man
11-14-2017, 06:17 PM
Not in BC, but went back home to Alberta for a quick hunting trip. Got my first moose and an elk. Game populations sure are exploding over there. At least in the areas where we were hunting. Herds of 300+ elk everyday.

That explains it all, they have been bussing them in from BC! :)

Great job!

Blainer
11-14-2017, 07:26 PM
Nice animals, very fortunate to have the opportunity to hunt Alberta. Open season? Or draw?

11-14-2017, 07:37 PM
Nice looking critters, congrats, nice share.

Wild one
11-14-2017, 08:54 PM

Way different management out there

Miss hunting Alberta as a resident makes it worse getting sent pics from buddies every year

twoSevenO
11-14-2017, 09:10 PM
Way different management out there

Miss hunting Alberta as a resident makes it worse getting sent pics from buddies every year

Just curious ... what do they do differently over there?

I posted a similar question comparing our management to that of western USA states. Curious how BC and Alberta compare.

Wild one
11-14-2017, 09:34 PM
Just curious ... what do they do differently over there?

I posted a similar question comparing our management to that of western USA states. Curious how BC and Alberta compare.

I type too slow to get into it all but they are a lot more conservative on harvest and do manage with trophy class in mind. This forum is also not friendly to anything that may suggest that BC might be doing things wrong. Will cause too much drama posting on open forum

BCs management is to go for max allowable harvest but yet lack funding to properly keep track of populations.

Take a look at regs across North America and compare them to BC. Look into different management goals used as well

Lets not highjack the op thread and stop here but let's say a few years of living in Alberta was an eye opener for me

Salty
11-14-2017, 10:34 PM
Congrats chaser!
Game regs are one thing but its pretty hard to beat the east slope of the rockys for raising big game. We've got some in the Peace and not surprisingly a ton of ungulates. Alta has more, plus a ton of prairie which is another bread basket.

chaser10
11-15-2017, 01:32 PM
Nice animals, very fortunate to have the opportunity to hunt Alberta. Open season? Or draw?

The elk is a general season and the moose was a draw. Usually am able to get my elk out of the zone every year. Moose is 10 year wait and I guess that explains why you see 50/day.

chaser10
11-15-2017, 01:35 PM
Congrats chaser!
Game regs are one thing but its pretty hard to beat the east slope of the rockys for raising big game. We've got some in the Peace and not surprisingly a ton of ungulates. Alta has more, plus a ton of prairie which is another bread basket.

Yes, its hard to beat the country back home. I hoping I can find something similar in BC next year. A lot of scouting in my future.

HarryToolips
11-15-2017, 10:22 PM
I type too slow to get into it all but they are a lot more conservative on harvest and do manage with trophy class in mind. This forum is also not friendly to anything that may suggest that BC might be doing things wrong. Will cause too much drama posting on open forum

BCs management is to go for max allowable harvest but yet lack funding to properly keep track of populations.

Take a look at regs across North America and compare them to BC. Look into different management goals used as well

Lets not highjack the op thread and stop here but let's say a few years of living in Alberta was an eye opener for me
A lot of BC's terrain allows for open seasons, as its harder to hunt in many areas.....and beauty critters Chaser!

Wild one
11-16-2017, 08:57 AM
A lot of BC's terrain allows for open seasons, as its harder to hunt in many areas.....and beauty critters Chaser!

Its not the terrain Alberta has plenty of areas you would swear you were in BC

Lots of tough access in western Alberta and a lot of Albertas crown land has less roads and less logging blocks