PDA

View Full Version : Meat coolers in FSJ area

lapadat
08-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Can anyone direct me to a cooler and/or butcher near Fort St John where I can hang a moose? I don't need it cut/wrapped just hung for a few days (end of Aug)

I'd be willing to drive to Dawson Ck if I have to.

thanks in advance

bwhnter
08-08-2007, 09:45 PM
I don't know of anybody in FSJ that will just let you hang your animal. Most of them need all of the space that they have for the animals that they will be cutting up. I also know first hand that some of them are very picky about what they let into their coolers. Last year we shot a bull moose in my oat field on the 18 of Aug and other than when he was shot he never touched the ground. We lifted him with the tractor skinned him and gutted him. He was the cleanest moose that I have ever seen. Not a speck of dirt or a hint of guts in him. The first meat locker that we took him to he wasn't going to take him because he was too "dirty' and then when he took a better look at him he said that he would take him but we would have to quater him first and that it was $40 to use his meat saw. I told him where he could stuff his meat saw and we went else where. If you change your mind and decide that you might have it cut and wraped let me know and I can get you some phone #

Wildfoot
08-08-2007, 10:56 PM
its an hour away.. but the grocery store in Hudson's hope will hang game (they have a seperate meat cooler just for game) for 30 bucks / day. Have to get in early though, it was full by the end of the second day of moose season. They will not butcher though.

ARC
08-08-2007, 11:06 PM
We took our moose to Wonowon meats last year and they were pretty accommodating, but a little ways out of town. Also, as stated before, I think you will be hard pressed to find someone who will just let you store the animal, without them cutting and wrapping it for you.

BlacktailStalker
08-08-2007, 11:14 PM
I had this same problem last year with my elk.
$30 a day isnt bad though...

Now, it will be a deep freezer, generator, butcher paper, tape and some roast twine :)
Oh yes, and a celebration bottle to enjoy while wrapping :)

jethrobuddy
08-09-2007, 06:50 AM
Charlie Lake has a cooler/butcher. It is first come, first serve. He gives his cutting clients priority.I don't think he reserves hooks anymore.

tuchodi
08-09-2007, 06:53 AM
Last year we used Mike Olanski on 9439 Swanson Lumber Road. He did a nice job on 2 of our elk. Most guy's dont have much room but will cut wrap and frezze it for you. Mike's phone number is 250-785-1309.

Jetboat
08-09-2007, 08:07 AM
Mike makes awesome sausage, too. Especially his hot Italian. Tried it from two different guys and two different animals...yummy!! Richard at Charlie Lake Meats is good too...very clean and will not allow dirty meat in his shop. There are a few more meat cutters around, but they are usually full by the second day of the moose GOS around these parts.

cwocarsten
08-10-2007, 01:13 AM
Pink Mountain store used to have a cooler fired up each hunting season. Not sure if they still do but you can google their name and get a number to call.

skills
10-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Well---that's all Wonowon meats does now,just hang it in the cooler but BEWARE! His fee's are OUTRAGEOUS! We've had game cut,wrapped and frozen for less than what he charges just to cool an animal on the hook! $125.00 for three days---no consideration on size,whole,halved or quartered for him. We even packed each quarter of this small moose in and out for him,all he did was open and close the door! He commented that he's only had about ten customers this year, IS IT ANY WONDER?! I think the word is getting out about this guy at Wonowon,---not a moment too early for us outdoorsmen who find ourselves venerable and at the mercy of such price gougers.

Steeleco
10-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Due to not just a few complaints he's now off the list.