PDA

View Full Version : The Road to Success. (Photo Within) (Long)

Lugg
11-14-2017, 11:44 AM
My entire life had been spent wanting to hunt but it always felt like tremendous undertaking to go at alone. Then I had a reason.

You see, I grew up on the West coast just outside Vancouver whereas my family are all on the East. My family here consist of my Mother and Father both who grew up in hunting families but never hunted themselves. My mother, who grew up on a farm loved the idea of me bringing home some fresh Venison for the freezer as it was a staple in their house. She's a farmer's daughter through and through and remembers butchering deer her dad brought home. Then there's my father, he's a cranky fella who always wants the last words... and those words during my entire childhood were "No Hunting", period.

As I aged... I settled, gave up, conceded, surrendered, or one of many verbs you could use to describe my defeat of being a hunter.

Then things changed, I had a son which at the age of 5 or 6 started to express an interest in hunting. Each year his interest to hunt, and shoot, grew more intense and with each year so did mine.

At 35 I took my firearms training and started shooting again. Target shooting was another interest I have always had and a skill I had already acquired as I often went shooting while growing up. Immediately after that both my son, then 10, and I took C.O.R.E. training, he passed with flying colors and I was extremely proud of him.

We started practicing shooting with a .22LR, I purchased a nice CZ455 Canadian for myself, a fantastic gun that displays my Country's emblem on it's stock. For my son, a small single shot Chiappa Little Badger as I wanted him to appreciate each shot. We purchased a Mossberg .243 for my son to start practicing with a larger caliber and later my "dream" caliber, a 30-06, went with a Tikka T3 Lite.

I was now 37, we spent the summer building a small off-road camper as we love to explore. The end of October was our first hunting excursion with the little camper in tow and we decided to hunt regions 3-18 & 3-19 again.

Upon arriving late the first night we saw at least 20 deer on Tunkwa Lake Road, mostly females with a few Spikers. We were pumped. The second day we saw no deer, third day we saw one doe, it happened so fast and our being so new I could not tell what species it was, so no shot. Every day was spent hiking or glassing. On the last day we saw one more doe in the middle of a logging road that bolted when it saw us. My son demanded we go track it so we gave our best shot. No dice. This trip did not even present a grouse to us. Skunned.

Skip forward another year, more research under our belts, more experience gained over the off season. Again we headed out to regions 3-18 & 3-19 at the end of October. We spent 7 days there and hiked about 4-6 hours per day for the first four days. I was so proud of my son for keeping up. During our hikes we saw no grouse or deer but did find a lot of sign. My son is now able to tell me what animal produced most tracks, if not exactly then at least down to the species. The only deer we saw these days were while driving.

For the last 3 days we decided to road hunt, something I looked at as being lackadaisical way of hunting. It seems like some hunter’s look poorly at those who road hunt, as though it’s not really hunting if you do it from a vehicle. If you’re not 10+ kilometers with boots on the ground you’re not worthy. I tried to stay away from this method for that reason, I wanted to be a “true” hunter.

Finally, on this day we got our first chance at a grouse and my son connected on two and let me take the third. We were thrilled. We had a renewed spirit to continue and just enjoyed the rest of the day. That afternoon we saw a group of deer heading across a logging road near camp. We parked, jumped out and followed them up the hill into a wooded area. We saw about 6 deer but no sign of an antler anywhere and I could not tell what the species was, so no shot.

In this small wooded area with the sun setting fast we saw what can only be described as a black deer. It was darker than any I had ever seen. It stood perfectly broadside to us, looking at right us for about 10 seconds. It was an amazing site. The other deer were all much lighter in color. We had to look up Black deer when we arrived home to see if it was even possible, and it is. Maybe one is out there, maybe it was shadows, who knows.

Over the next days we got a few more grouse, we were happy. Once more we were skunked on deer.

November 12th 2017, on a very wet Sunday we got up at 3am and drove to a new spot in a new region (Region 2 where any buck was legal). We still don’t have the best clothing for this weather so we decided to road hunt in an area that we saw three female deer ("does", as in female deer plural, reads weird when I type it.) in a short amount of time, they were finishing feeding for the morning and heading back to their bedding locations for the day.

For the rest of morning and afternoon we saw no deer. Spoke to a few other hunters who confirmed we were in a good spot. With rain drops the size of marbles and the sun started to set, our time was running out. My son was giving up hope but still had a touch of it left.

Driving slowly down a lightly used road we had driven up and down numerous times already we approached the end where would turn around. I looked out and saw a deer that looked big given my low level of experience. It had antlers! I stopped fast and told my son “Deer! Antlers!” he grabbed my magazine as I got out of the Jeep then handed it to me when I was ready… this was his plan. He did not want to get out until he heard me shoot. He did not want to scare it off. His face was priceless.

I loaded the rifle faster than I ever had, the magazine slammed into place with a satisfying knock. I raised the rifle to my shoulder and sighted in on the Buck who was standing as perfect as I could ask for. My rifle is sighted in at 100 yards and I had guessed the Buck was about 80 yards off.

BANG!

The Buck jumped then ran. The entire time I was thinking to myself “Please fall, please fall, please fall… I don’t want to track you in the dark.” He made it maybe 20 feet before falling out of site into a puddle.

Buck down.

The sound of the rifle firing echoed over and over but I don’t remember hearing the initial blast, I did not feel the rifle kick. This is when my hands started to shake, my son ran around the Jeep directly towards the Buck, I had to call him back. He was so excited he did not know what to do, his smile was ear to ear, he ran over and hugged me tight for about 20 seconds. “We did it dad! We did it!” he gave me a high five. He wanted to run to the Buck and I told him to slow down, we were both still shaking from the excited, we were laughing now, a nervous laugh, a happy laugh. Congratulating each other. It was an amazing experience we’ll remember forever.

I asked him to get the skinning knife, gloves, and the gallon of water we brought to wash out the carcass. I grabbed the camera and our deer drag harness.

Gutting was a bit awkward but we learned a lot, I think it took about 30 minutes, he says 20, let’s call it 25. Dragging the carcass back to the Jeep has left me sore, lifting the carcass into the Jeep was a learning experience but only took about 3 minutes to figure out.

My father ended up sending me a text “Even though I’m not fond of hunting myself, I just want you to know I’m pretty proud of you. You’re a great dad as well.”

What a trip it has been.

If the photo does not show up let me know.

3x3 with a brow tine.

https://image.ibb.co/bUQ8tG/IMG_20171112_154943_1.jpg

KodiakHntr
11-14-2017, 11:48 AM
Well done!

And great work on getting out there with your son. You are doing a great job.

Lugg
11-14-2017, 11:51 AM
Thanks KodiakHntr.

And thanks to everyone who has helped me over the years, some of you have sent me some great PM's, talked to me on the phone, etc. Much appreciated.

Oh, and would people call this a three point? 3x3? 4x3? 6 Point? I don't think brow tine counts, correct?

People keep asking me "How many points!" I just keep saying "3x3".

Thanks,

IronNoggin
11-14-2017, 11:51 AM
Congratulations! A VERY Fine tale of persistence, and best of all bringing your Young Gun into it properly!
KUDOS all round!
Going to be a fine Eating Buck methinks!
And it certainly sounds like you have a great up & coming Partner for life!

Cheers!
Nog

Lugg
11-14-2017, 11:54 AM
Oh, and here's the camper for those interested in such things.

https://image.ibb.co/i2Axnb/Camper_outside_001.jpg

PKernohan
11-14-2017, 11:55 AM
Wow, great story and congrats to you and the kid! A moment you'll never forget. And to hear those words from your dad must have felt pretty good too. Congrats again!

LuckyIfYouGetOne
11-14-2017, 12:10 PM
Great story and buck and camper. my dad started hunting around the same age as you and he had me out on all his adventures since I was five...best memories we have together are when we were hunting

Island Idiots
11-14-2017, 12:18 PM
Made my day! Great story and good job bringing the young one in. I would buy you a beer right now if I could. High five dude!

wideopenthrottle
11-14-2017, 12:18 PM
wow...epic adventures leading to so many good memories..thanks for the inspiring share

f350ps
11-14-2017, 12:52 PM
Congrats Lugg and son, that story made my day, you are one hell of a role model! Beautiful Buck you got yourselves, well done! K

CBH
11-14-2017, 01:26 PM
Congrats on a memory that you and your son will share forever. Great story, really hit home for me and put a smile on my face. Well done!

finaddict
11-14-2017, 01:31 PM
Well done Lugg. I "resurrected" my passion for hunting about 10 years ago at age 45 and my son had just turned 19. We too suffered a few dry years. Lately we have been luckier than previous and have come back with at least one buck every year for the past 4. I cherish those trips with him and every year we seem to enjoy them more and more.

Congrats on bringing up the next generation with a well rounded exposure to the natural world. In this day and age of far too many people who have completely removed themselves from it, these experiences are invaluable.

Slip
11-14-2017, 01:32 PM
Thats a niiiiiiice camper, how much for one like that aprox?

Rupert Retired
11-14-2017, 01:57 PM
Congrats, great deer and great story. That is a 4X3, (or 3X4) for sure, if the brow tine is over an inch, you count it in my book!

Big Lew
11-14-2017, 02:07 PM
Congratulations to the both of you! Glad you persisted and hung in there until it happened.
Nice story!

ajr5406
11-14-2017, 02:08 PM
Well done, Lugg! Great story and thanks for sharing.

scotty30-06
11-14-2017, 02:10 PM
Damn good read....and what an awesome job....you did it right....great job there papa bear!!

Whonnock Boy
11-14-2017, 02:12 PM
Excellent, simply excellent. Awesome retelling of events, almost brought a tear to my eye. A sincere congrats to you and your son, and thanks so much for sharing.

Salty
11-14-2017, 03:27 PM
Thanks for taking the time for this great write up Lugg I'm with the others, made my day. Just a great story all the way around. Sounds like you've created a little carnivore monster there. lol. In actuality I'm a firm believer its there in most of us its in our DNA you just have to learn a little, get out there and let nature do the rest. Enjoy that venison :)

Blainer
11-14-2017, 03:55 PM
Fantastic Share!
Fantastic Zmemories made!
congratulations

bloody bellies
11-14-2017, 03:55 PM
I sent you a PM

bloody bellies
11-14-2017, 03:57 PM
this is not true, brow tines are not countable for mule deer in the regulation book!

Congrats, great deer and great story. That is a 4X3, (or 3X4) for sure, if the brow tine is over an inch, you count it in my book!

dmaxtech
11-14-2017, 04:18 PM
When is someone going to suggest to self report as that is not a legal 4x4 mule deer which is what you are limited to now?

TexasWalker
11-14-2017, 04:22 PM
When is someone going to suggest to self report as that is not a legal 4x4 mule deer which is what you are limited to now?

What are you talking about??

Whonnock Boy
11-14-2017, 04:24 PM
He mentioned that he changed regions, which I assume was here locally in 2. Looks like a blacktail....

dmaxtech
11-14-2017, 04:45 PM
Thanks, I guess i missed that.

He mentioned that he changed regions, which I assume was here locally in 2. Looks like a blacktail....

Knute
11-14-2017, 06:12 PM
Good for you and your son.
It's great that his passion was the motivating factor in spurring you on and making sure that the both of you could get out and form
the hunting bond. Nothing better in my books.
Congrats.

albravo2
11-14-2017, 06:21 PM
Lugg, that is a great story, well told. Thanks for sharing.

My eldest son was the catalyst for my hunting bug too and it remains one of the favourite things we do together. It is even more fun now that he can have a few drinks around the campfire.

Citori54
11-14-2017, 06:24 PM
I agree with the others, great story and great deer. Good on you for sticking to it. Now that you have had success, more will surely follow. What a great memory for you and your son that you both will cherish for a long time. Some of my best hunting memories are when I was young and learning to hunt with my late father.

Rhyno
11-14-2017, 06:30 PM
Great story, congrats and thanks for sharing.

Lugg
11-14-2017, 07:56 PM
For those suggesting I self report as it's not legal, everything is good as we were in region 2. Region 3 is too far for a day trip for me! The location in region 2 that we went to was any buck. I'll edit my story to make this clear.

We can stop the PM's now. haha.

Nice to know so many people are good at policing the policies though.

My son kept asking questions regarding random things.

What if a bear attacks and we have to shoot it, what do we do? Self report.
What if we shoot a deer we think is a buck and it's not? Self report. (And this should not happen son, don't shoot unless you know what you're shooting)
What if we accidentally cut the tag wrong? Self report.
What if.... Self report.
What if.... Self report.
What if.... Self report.

11-14-2017, 08:03 PM
The a Internet police at their finest.

congrats to you both, great share.

Very cool getting family involved. My wife took her first last year, the youngest daughter got her first this year, along with a Boyfriends first ....... Deer that is.

NICE Blacktail ! 3 X 3

Lugg
11-14-2017, 08:06 PM
Thats a niiiiiiice camper, how much for one like that aprox?

Thanks for thinking so! We love it.

I had the frame custom made, it alone was around 1700 if I recall. I already had the wheels as they are the stock Jeep wheels I had left over from my upgrade. Also, I only have to carry one spare tire as it will fit both the trailer and Jeep.

The camper portion I built over about 3 months after work in my backyard. Would have been far less had I had a garage to build it. I had to take out and put away tools everyday.

To be honest I never kept a log o the money count as I had to purchase some tools as well which increases the cost, but I use the tools almost monthly so I get good use out of them. Home renovations, etc.

However, I'd wager raw materials were less than $1500 - $2000.

Here's a few more pics.
https://image.ibb.co/byva8R/Camper_outside_002.jpg
https://image.ibb.co/caxoTR/Camper_inside_001.jpg
https://image.ibb.co/c1FWhm/Chehalis.jpg

whognu
11-14-2017, 08:08 PM
well done; great story

strong family bonds

I too was choked up thinking back when............

whognu

Lugg
11-14-2017, 08:16 PM
I'm happy people liked the read! It's hard to portray how amazing the day was. I'm glad it captured some of you, even on an emotional level.

My son and I will never forget it.

As for the buck, I finished processing him today. Lots of work. But it went from field to table without leaving my sight. I've tasted a small steak so far, dipped in flower and spices then fried. Yum! Then today I ground up what we had for that pile with some hickory pork ends. Cooked up a burger to taste. Best burger I've in a long, long time!

Another pile is going to dog food.

Took some back strap and ground, and the leg bones to my neighbor as he gives us venison when he can.

-Lugg

TreeStandMan
11-14-2017, 08:38 PM
The Archer on the iPad is a nice touch.

I'm yet to take a Blacktail, and your story of persistence is inspiring. I took Thursday off work to take another shot at it, but I have a feeling I'll need many more days at it. Even though I live in the LM, I'm primary a region 3 mule deer hunter, where you can almost pick a random FSR and find sign. Persistence kills, as you know, so I'm going to stick to your plan: cover ground, find sign (surprisingly difficult in region 2), shoot buck.

Even better if you can do it with your kid.

silvertipp
11-14-2017, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the great story and congrats to you and your son on your first of many to come

quadrakid
11-14-2017, 08:50 PM
Great story,great buck.Best thread in quite awhile.

gcreek
11-14-2017, 09:45 PM
Great story and congratulations.

BStrachan
11-14-2017, 10:41 PM
Congrats to you and your son! Must have felt so good to see the deer drop!

steepNdeep
11-14-2017, 10:53 PM
Awesome! Nothing better than adventures with your kids. Im sure you will both remember that moment forever. Congrats!!

(Nobody in my family hunted either & I started while living in an apartment in Kits. lol) Cool that you finally started...

Budman
11-15-2017, 08:30 AM
Congrats to you and your son for a job well done! Nice looking unit you built there too.

JLsteel
11-15-2017, 08:42 AM
That is a great story. Congrats

45freezer
11-15-2017, 09:22 AM
Awesome story and a nice buck, good on you for getting the next generation involved, I recently got into hunting for the exact same reasons. My trips have been a lot more limited with the boy tagging along and we still haven't got our buck or bear but following a set of tracks together in the rain is one of the most rewarding experiences, can't wait for our own success story to come together!

DeepJeep
11-15-2017, 03:11 PM
great story and nice set up there! jealous...

Brez
11-15-2017, 06:33 PM
great story. It's just the beginning of many more great memories. Thanks for posting

kennyj
11-15-2017, 07:30 PM
Way to persevere! Congratulations on a fine buck!
kenny

avadad
11-15-2017, 08:50 PM
That's a great story! You'll remember this event for the rest of your life. Love the trailer....