PDA

View Full Version : Broken down truck sun peaks looking for ideas

Steelpulse
11-12-2017, 05:11 PM
Hey so got a truck, suspected broken radiator or busted off hose or something, truck won't run and now it's 8km up a mountain snowy icy road. Very difficult to get a truck up to tow, maybe anyone a field mechanic? Will cover costs if anyone's got some serious ideas or the gear and know how to recover this beast

Buckmeister
11-12-2017, 05:26 PM
Did it overheat? An engine will still start and run (for a short time) even if the rad or hose is broken. But if it overheats and won't run, then you have more serious issues and I doubt a field fix will be possible.

dougan
11-12-2017, 05:50 PM
Why not start by diagnosing the leak yourself?dump water in rad see where water comes out pretty straight forward.

Steelpulse
11-12-2017, 05:54 PM
Ya we are heading back out in am for full diagnosis. And potentially to try and recover carefully with another truck

j270wsm
11-12-2017, 06:43 PM
What yr, make, model? Spark, fuel? Turns over but won't start?? Need more info before we can offer any suggestions.

Salty
11-12-2017, 06:56 PM
Plus us smart asses need to know the make, yr, model to know whether to tell you to leave the POS where it is. lol
Best of luck with it..

Steelpulse
11-12-2017, 08:58 PM
Kk we have some hunches more info tomorrow. Went full send today. Pushed to far

bigredchev
11-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Bring water and a product called iron--tite. It's meant to deal or slow leaks in a cooling system. It's not great practice to use it but sounds like you are in a punch.

Also if you run the heater on full and don't fully seat the rad cap so it won't hold pressure then the leak can slow down

Oh, and use tire chains.

Buckmeister
11-13-2017, 12:33 AM
Years ago I was wheeling solo on an old jeep trail with bald tires. Got stuck in a mud hole and overheated the engine trying to get her out. The engine simply wouldn't run at that point. I walked out a good 23kms. Went back with a friends truck a few days later to tow her out, my truck fired right up and ran great and I almost idled it out of the hole as a bunch of the water had drained out. A number of months later the truck started blowing white smoke out the tailpipe...head was warped and coolant was getting in the oil.

Steelpulse
11-13-2017, 06:58 PM
There is a large gash in the rad.

Replcing the rad in the field by us is the option unless someone is a mechanic available for pick up in kamloops

also any harm in slowly driving down the hill and making sure the engine stays cool

horshur
11-13-2017, 07:07 PM

Replcing the rad in the field by us is the option unless someone is a mechanic available for pick up in kamloops

also any harm in slowly driving down the hill and making sure the engine stays cool
Just put a rad in it..but why is rad gashed? Battery came loose..motor mount broke..
bring a tarp lay it under truck to catch bolts and help keep things dryer..light a fire on the side to warm up hands..it is not so bad really.

albravo2
11-13-2017, 07:39 PM
Before you replace the rad I would make sure the engine isn't already pooched.

Did you shut it down when you noticed it hot or did it get super hot and stall?

dougan
11-13-2017, 07:43 PM

also any harm in slowly driving down the hill and making sure the engine stays cool just out of curiosity how would you know if the engine is staying cool with no water in it ? Temp sender works off of water temp. Just change the rad it's not a big deal

lcgoatboy
11-14-2017, 12:39 AM
Use needle nose to squeeze off and bend the tubes over either side of the gash in the rad, fill with water and drive.

butthead
11-14-2017, 10:14 AM
snow was a melting real good yesterday

Whonnock Boy
11-14-2017, 10:23 AM
I'm going to guess that a stick kicked up from underneath a tire and was sent into the rad. Good ideas and questions by others. Did it stall from overheating? Bring a tarp, start a fire, and finally, search the net to see if there are any videos showing how to do it, and what tools and supplies you will need. No sense in filling the thing with water, and needing to drain and fill with anti-freeze later.

butthead
11-14-2017, 10:35 AM
if its a hole in the rad and not to big
put 12 raw eggs in the rad as the cook they will plug the hole
amount of eggs depends on size of hole

Firstblood
11-15-2017, 11:15 PM
Well what an adventure we had.
Location: 5 km past where the truck should have been and when stuck became snowmobile access only with 20 fresh cms of snow.
Cause: Really choochin her up a hill and a bolt rattled loose sending bolt and plastic fan shroud into the rad causing a big hole. Puked her fluids and they shut her down.
Fix: Replacement radiator. Day 2- sled in and figure out parts/problem then go to town buy coolant, order rad. Day 3- morning in kamloops, afternoon removing old rad. Day 4- pick up rad, sled in, have big fire drop the new rad in, filled her up and she didnt leak a drop. We broke trail with the sleds and got the big rig outta there, shes on her way home to squamish now and to a rad shop in the morning. So we learned when it hits the fan out there 4 guys who have basic knowledge and tools can do a full rad swap 5 km sled ride into the bush in the snow. We named this adventure "6.7 on the dickter scale" after she rattled so hard she almost died. Thanks to all who messaged us for help and knowledge.

IslandWanderer
11-15-2017, 11:42 PM
Use needle nose to squeeze off and bend the tubes over either side of the gash in the rad, fill with water and drive.

I like this idea! Seems like it would work well.

Fisher-Dude
11-16-2017, 12:14 AM

That would be way too easy. These guys wanted an adventure!

lcgoatboy
11-16-2017, 05:51 AM
That would be way too easy. These guys wanted an adventure!

Lol. I needed a laugh at 5 in the morning!