PDA

View Full Version : Last trip of the season

mulieaddiction
11-12-2017, 04:23 PM
Just got back from my last trip of the season i hunted hard for a mature mulie passed on multiple smaller bucks never seen a 4 point though hiked hours and km's only one weekend i didnt hunt since September another year of tag soup!

Danielcan
11-12-2017, 04:33 PM
Where’d you hunt?

mulieaddiction
11-12-2017, 04:42 PM
Region 3 and 8 lillooet Ashcroft princeton lots of places and places ppl recommend on where i can find a mature buck lol every year its same story for me i got bad luck lol

twoSevenO
11-12-2017, 08:53 PM
Brandon, You dont have bad luck. You get out of the truck, walk half an hour, walk back, drive elsewhere and repeat. You don't scout enough. Your idea of "hunting hard" isn't actually that hard.

Sorry to lay the truth out but I feel like I need to point out that nobody is consistently lucky or consistently unlucky. Guys who shoot bucks every year shoot them because they are good hunters. And if you want to be one of them you must learn from your mistakes.

So having said that, what have you done differently this season compared to last? Or what do you wish you had done differently?

The recipe must change if your muffins are to change

mulieaddiction
11-12-2017, 09:58 PM
I will walk in half hr or so and sit and wait for a few hrs and then road hunt around the area i have been walking around before i would only drive around like lots of other ppl i had seen with bucks this year i have learned to do alot more glassing ridges and waiting to see if anything moves before i would just slow down and look and see if i would see anything while driving
And also my other trips in sept and oct i would hike for hours in to remote areas and have a base camp and hike in more and hike and glass ridges far from roads the last time i did that i met a guy coming out from there and he had shot a nice mulie just one ridge away in the alpine

Wild one
11-12-2017, 10:27 PM
With the number of areas you listed sounds like you might need to pick an area and stick with it instead of wondering. I am talking multiple seasons

I know a hunter who takes huge mule deer from one of the locations you listed every year. It's not luck it's knowledge of the area, the deers habits, their seasonal migration, and resident populations

Luck has very little to do with hunting

604redneck
11-12-2017, 11:36 PM
I shoot a small buck at the end of any buck every year in the same spot give or take a km or so i know the area very well

Liveforthehunt
11-13-2017, 12:03 AM
Brandon, You dont have bad luck. You get out of the truck, walk half an hour, walk back, drive elsewhere and repeat. You don't scout enough. Your idea of "hunting hard" isn't actually that hard.

Sorry to lay the truth out but I feel like I need to point out that nobody is consistently lucky or consistently unlucky. Guys who shoot bucks every year shoot them because they are good hunters. And if you want to be one of them you must learn from your mistakes.

So having said that, what have you done differently this season compared to last? Or what do you wish you had done differently?

The recipe must change if your muffins are to change
This fella is being a bit on the negative I'd say ... You can get lucky year after year in multiple different spots . Keep your head up it will come in time. Here is one very small example I put out close to 30 cams a year focusing on a few species and my father who rarely gets out of the truck because he is older now has shot quite a few immys and he has more Muleys and whiteys on the wall than myself .

boxhitch
11-13-2017, 04:48 AM
Just got back from my last trip of the season i hunted hard for a mature mulie passed on multiple smaller bucks never seen a 4 point though hiked hours and km's only one weekend i didnt hunt since September another year of tag soup!Nothing wrong with a season like that, attago. Sounds like you sure put in the time, most others are envious I'm sure.

blackhawk19
11-13-2017, 08:39 AM
just like the above said his father shoots a lot of nice bucks from his truck .a lot of game is shot off roads every year , the main thing is your having a good time out in the bush . good on you

mulieaddiction
11-13-2017, 07:12 PM
Thabks guys and yes just becuase one day or one trip i only walked half hr in the bush doesnt mean i dontput in the time i have been out every weekend since sept and i live in the city that is not easy to do as a 25 year old with no hunting partner and im going to worl hard if i spend that much money to come out every weekend i could be doing something wrong but learning lots just never works out i just talked to a guy i was in a spot all day i walked out he said he was guna go walk ina bit to try his luck not even 20 min later he shot a 4 point

Grizz.325
11-14-2017, 09:36 PM
Its very important to be patient and trust in the area your hunting. There r big mature bucks throughout their entire range. Zone in on an area that interests you and learn everything you can about the area that might give u an edge. Glass from the truck, explore every trail and drainage, identify water sources, scout for timber cover.etc. A

Above all, patience while hunting cannot be stressed enough. I say that because I've rattled in 2 monster deer in the last few days but I was not patient enough to wait that extra 30 mins.

dblung
11-14-2017, 10:01 PM
Thabks guys and yes just becuase one day or one trip i only walked half hr in the bush doesnt mean i dontput in the time i have been out every weekend since sept and i live in the city that is not easy to do as a 25 year old with no hunting partner and im going to worl hard if i spend that much money to come out every weekend i could be doing something wrong but learning lots just never works out i just talked to a guy i was in a spot all day i walked out he said he was guna go walk ina bit to try his luck not even 20 min later he shot a 4 point
I had to stop three times to catch my breath reading this.