PDA

View Full Version : Hunting without a dog

BStrachan
11-12-2017, 02:10 AM
Does anybody waterfowl hunt without using a dog to retrieve the ducks/geese? If so how do you go about it? I have read people use a fishing rod, boat, or a float tube. Has anybody used either of these methods?

Big Lew
11-12-2017, 04:48 AM
I have on occasion, using a canoe, small punt, or chest waders.
Keep in mind though, especially if you're hunting waterfowl in the Interior or Cariboo,
that the bottom of many lakes and sloughs have quicksand like mud that can be very
dangerous and hard to get out of.

BStrachan
11-12-2017, 05:19 AM
Thankyou for the tip. I live on Vancouver Island. I'm not sure what the marshes are like where they typically hunt bit I will deffinatley ask around as to what the areas are like in the way of the bottom of the marsh or body of water they hunt.

swamper
11-12-2017, 06:44 AM
I built a small boat from plans I got on the web. Its called a one sheet skiff. Very light so it's easy to pack. Mounted a set of oarlocks on it and it works great.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/08/projects/oss/index.htm

Firstblood
11-12-2017, 11:32 AM
Have hunted many days without a dog and taken many limits, a small boat helps, a fishing rod is useless too much to get snagged on, waders are great for shallow areas. It can all be done without a dog but the level of effort required is significantly more. I just got a dog to prevent me walking kilometers in heavy neoprene waders for a few teal.

Wild one
11-12-2017, 11:39 AM
Stick to small water not too deep waders and fishing rod works or hunt fields

limits where you can hunt

ACB
11-12-2017, 11:45 AM
Once you'v hunted over a dog you'll wonder how you ever did it before, it's so enjoyable to watch a well trained dog retrieve dead or wounded ducks that more than likely that you would have never found, I'm talking about birds that you know you hit but keep going for 100- 200 yards before going down.

Wild one
11-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Once you'v hunted over a dog you'll wonder how you ever did it before, it's so enjoyable to watch a well trained dog retrieve dead or wounded ducks that more than likely that you would have never found, I'm talking about birds that you know you hit but keep going for 100- 200 yards before going down.

A dog opens up many options but some people their life just won't allow a dog or they are just trying out waterfowl for their first season. Then take myself I am making due well training a new pup because my old one passed

Dogs involve time, commitment, and responsibility that some can't provide

Awesome for waterfowl no doubt but some hunters need to make due without

BStrachan
11-12-2017, 06:35 PM
I built a small boat from plans I got on the web. Its called a one sheet skiff. Very light so it's easy to pack. Mounted a set of oarlocks on it and it works great.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/08/projects/oss/index.htm

That looks awesome and not very difficult to build.

BStrachan
11-12-2017, 06:39 PM
I would love a dog but due to work schedule and just starting out I figured best give the sport a try first and make sure I have time to train a dog.

Big Lew
11-12-2017, 07:32 PM
Something to consider...Acquiring a dog, training it, including to retrieve, and having it at home
throughout the year is not only a huge commitment, but will severely tie you down as well.
If you would like to have a dog for most of the non-hunting year then go for it...otherwise maybe
hunt without one the best you can. Even my wife and I, who really enjoy having our lab as a companion
throughout the year, sometimes wish we weren't shackled with having to either take it along with us,
leave it at home for short periods of time, or find a kennel to keep him. So many times when we couldn't
take him with us we've had to cut short our outings in order to accommodate our dog's needs.

BStrachan
11-13-2017, 01:47 AM
I use to have a dog 20 years ago and I totally understand what you are saying about the commitment of owning a dog. I recall having to cut trips short or find someone to take care of him. For now I will definitely be finding ways to duck hunt without a dog.

Ron.C
11-13-2017, 08:53 AM
I use a canoe extensively to hunt a couple tidal spots here around Duncan. I carry my layout, and about 3 to 4 dozen decoys and hook up my electric motor to the canoe. I like to set up my layout at water edge and stash the canoe a little ways behind me. Then I reposition my layout and decoys as the tides dictate. A bit of work but effective. When a buddy comes along, I sometimes bring my 14' flat bottom punt just because it has more room. Most of my ducks can be retrieved by wading but if a cripple wants to swim straight out, then I use the canoe. And on windy days in a falling tide, a dead bird can drift out very far very fast. I cant see running down a cripple or a long bird like this in a float tube.

If you do wade out, make sure you have a pole in hand. Lots of "holes" that you can fall into quickly putting the water level over your waders. I found this out last year the hard way. Luckily for me, only my pride was hurt, but I could have been much worse.

If you are after a canoe or something for ducks, Cabelas in Nanaimo is blowing out there canoes and kayaks. I just bought a camo 15.5' square stern canoe for $999 that reg sells for $2199. They had two left yesterday (one green , one camo). They are also flogging thier kayaks. Have a couple camo ones that would be good little duck rigs.

I have a 14' green old town canoe that I have no use for now since I bought my new one. If you want you are interested, drop me a pm. I'll be letting it go for about $250

BStrachan
11-14-2017, 11:48 AM
Hi Ron, Thank you for all the great information and tips. I appreciate of offer of buying your canoe. I will keep that in mind as it would be handy to use for trout fishing as well. I love my pontoon boat but having a canoe would be great so I can bring my kids out fishing.
I fellow that works at Cabelas offered to take me out and show me the ins and outs of waterfowl hunting. I believe he hunts in Cedar just over the Cedar bridge.

I am concerned about the shotgun I borrow from my dad as it is older and has a full choke that shoots 2 3/4 shells or smaller. From doing some reading it seems the most common is a 12g IM choke with 3" shells.

Wild one
11-14-2017, 12:11 PM
Lots of waterfowl has dropped from 2 3/4 12ga nothing wrong with it. I started with a single shot 2/34 12ga as a kid with no issues

You will have no problem just don't be sky blasting and I would say that even if you were shooting 31/2s

BStrachan
11-14-2017, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=Wild one;1952487]Lots of waterfowl has dropped from 2 3/4 12ga nothing wrong with it. I started with a single shot 2/34 12ga as a kid with no issues

You will have no problem just don't be sky blasting and I would say that even if you were shooting

It's a 20g but should do the trick I feel. As long as I don't try and make long shots. From what I have watched and read seems like you want to make most shots no longer than 30 yards.

Wild one
11-14-2017, 12:52 PM
I have never hunted waterfowl with a 20 so don't know what to tell you there. Geese are tough so they might be an issue

odds are there is someone here with more knowledge on 20ga for waterfowl then I. Definitely not my first choice

lorneparker1
11-14-2017, 01:28 PM
I shoot a 20 gauge about 50% of the time. Can kill anything a 12 gauge can.

elch jager
11-14-2017, 02:46 PM
.... I am concerned about the shotgun I borrow from my dad as it is older and has a full choke that shoots 2 3/4 shells or smaller. From doing some reading it seems the most common is a 12g IM choke with 3" shells.

I'd be concerned that old gun won't handle steel shot safely... can't use lead...

BStrachan
11-14-2017, 10:28 PM
I was wondering about the steel and lead. Maybe it's time I go shopping for a 12g anybody recommend a decent shotgun around 500 to 700 bucks or cheaper?

Big Lew
11-14-2017, 10:41 PM
I was wondering about the steel and lead. Maybe it's time I go shopping for a 12g anybody recommend a decent shotgun around 500 to 700 bucks or cheaper?

I have an older Remmington 1100 3" full choke that I also was concerned about.
I took it to a gunsmith who evaluated it, measured the choke part of the barrel, and then
bored it out, cutting the choke amount in half. I tested it's pattern and can say that the
fellow certainly knows his business. It handles any 3'' steel shot very well, including having
a very good pattern and better range then I expected. If you can find a gunsmith, maybe that's
an option. It cost me just under $100 although most of the big shops quoted me around $150.

BStrachan
11-15-2017, 09:52 AM
Good idea I will check with a gunsmith and see what he has to say. Might save me a few dollars

Ron.C
11-15-2017, 11:57 AM

Browning BPS

Sasquatch
11-16-2017, 01:26 PM
It's not only the retrieval of dead birds that's an issue, chasing down cripples is pretty tough without a dog. Unless you are an expert shot, you are definately going to wound a bird here and there and chasing it, hell even finding it to chase can be difficult without a dog.

I would suggest joining a local club and making friends with someone who has a dog. I don't mind taking out dogless friends sometimes as it gives my dog extra work.
Just make sure you treat their dog like a person when it comes to shooting near them....nothing ends a hunt faster for me than someone who shoots too close to my dog.

BStrachan
11-16-2017, 10:45 PM
Sasquatch I totally understand what you are saying about treating a dog like a person. I love and respect dogs. I grew up with dogs my parents have 4 dogs yes 4 dogs..lol ..my kids love going over to gramma and grandpa's house to see the dogs. I'm deffinatley going to take the fellow who works at Cabelas up on his offer to take me out with him and his friends to show me the ropes on waterfowl hunting.
Thank you for the advice.

MichelD
11-17-2017, 06:56 PM
I hunt fields or shallow water.

BStrachan
11-17-2017, 08:05 PM
[QUOTE=MichelD;1953529]I hunt fields or shallow
I'm not sure where I would even start to look for ducks other than Nanaimo estuary or get permission to hunt on a farmer's field.