PDA

View Full Version : 20 Lb - 1Lb Propane adaptor

11-09-2017, 06:05 PM
Hey everyone.
has any one used the little valve that you can take a full 20lb bottle of Propane and Refill the little disposable bottles?
Have you had any issues with them? Are they Safe to use?

Any recommendations? I seem them on line for about 20 bucks, but don't want Any safety issues .

thanks, I value your feedback.

CT

wideopenthrottle
11-09-2017, 06:20 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?130167-1-pound-propae-bottles&highlight=propane+tanks

there was a thread on it awhie back with comments from guys that refill them

just looked at the thread and there is even a you tube vid on it...i just bought an adapter hose from home depot to use on my catalitic heater instead of using the 1 pounders...thought about trying to use it for refilling but it wont due to male to male fittings.....one thing i have noticed about those 1 pounders is when you take off the attachment in below zero they tend to leak even when bran new

goatdancer
11-09-2017, 07:40 PM
Are they CSA approved? If not, their safety is debateable.

Bustercluck
11-09-2017, 07:45 PM
I couldnt seem to fill them up all the way. Seems like they would only get about 1/2 a pound in them. I picked up two five pound bottles from Canadian tire and two hoses. It takes 10 one pound bottles to pay for a five pound bottle. Then it's a buck a pound.

Radoman
11-09-2017, 07:57 PM
If you stick the 1 lbs. in your freezer for about 10 to 15 minutes and then fill it up it will fill it up.

bighornbob
11-09-2017, 09:21 PM
I throw the empty ones in the freezer for about 15 minutes. I then attach to the 20lber and fill for about 1 minute or so. The gas flowing into the smaller bottle seems to slow down at the end. This only fills it up about half way. I then do it again for about 30 seconds. Don't know why but each time you do it you get more gas in it as opposed to just leaving it on the whole time.

I also weigh a new bottle and a empty one so I know how much gas to put in. I probably don't get them right full but most likely around 80%. I find a full 20lber to be the best for filling the little ones. Each time I fill the big one I fill a few. Of the little ones if required.

bhb

wideopenthrottle
11-09-2017, 09:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD1CmorB_qM

this is the you tube of how to do it using the relief valve...it will not work with the hose i got at home depot ..

huntcoop
11-09-2017, 10:13 PM
I bought one in the states years ago and it works great.

wildcatter
11-09-2017, 10:41 PM
If you stick the 1 lbs. in your freezer for about 10 to 15 minutes and then fill it up it will fill it up.

You can fill them right up without freezing the bottle.
Turn the 1 lb with the valve to 10 o clock and pull the
valve and when you see liquid gas coming out it's full.

11-09-2017, 10:48 PM
Thanks fellas ........ I heard of these but have never used them. HBC ....... Hunters helping hunters.

Looks like I will be ordering one or two of these, good little item to give to buddies.

wrenchhead
11-10-2017, 03:17 AM
Yup I ordered one a while back....works great

Steeleco
11-10-2017, 06:15 AM
Thanks fellas ........ I heard of these but have never used them. HBC ....... Hunters helping hunters.

Looks like I will be ordering one or two of these, good little item to give to buddies.

H! I've been using one for a few years now. Work great if you use the video above. Your welcome to try mine before you lay out any $$$$$$$$$$

David

Keta1969
11-10-2017, 07:37 AM
Any propane bottles we fill should only be filled to 80%. Don't know why the one pounder would be different. This allows for expansion if they get warm. There is danger of getting liquid propane in the line if they are overfilled which could get exciting.

sparkes3
11-10-2017, 07:01 PM
they work great

Ourea
11-10-2017, 07:11 PM
Curlytop......just pack in the 20 pounders and a drywall heater.
You gettin soft, LOL.

Have a great trip, conditions are setting up nicely.

11-10-2017, 07:56 PM
Curlytop......just pack in the 20 pounders and a drywall heater.
You gettin soft, LOL.

Have a great trip, conditions are setting up nicely.

actuall, no I'm Gettin Hard haha

maybe I can get buddy DH too, haha he's taking in his Twenty pounder, for his set up...... I asked if he's bringing the Weber BBQ too?

Ill be making Soup at 11:30 on the ol Peak 1, if ya wanna come by for lunch:smile:

leftfield
11-14-2017, 03:19 PM
valve and when you see liquid gas coming out it's full.

Can you elaborate on this a bit, thanks

Steeleco
11-14-2017, 04:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD1CmorB_qM

this is the you tube of how to do it using the relief valve.....not sure if it will work with the hose i got at home depot as it may have a check (oneway)valve in it ...i think it is CSA approved

See the link above!

quadrakid
11-17-2017, 09:53 PM
i got sick of one pounders and use a 5 lber thats refillable.

wildcatter
11-17-2017, 10:05 PM

Without freezing the gas expands quickly and you won't get a full fill.
When you have the valve of the 1 pounder at 10 o clock that should give you the right amount.
Pulling the valve while you are filling will let some of the expanded gases out and when liquid gas coming out you shut it off.
Here is a video that may explain it better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD1CmorB_qM

srupp
11-18-2017, 03:05 PM
Sorry Curly didn't see this section ? Yes used them and they work..already gave mine away little use for 1 Pounders..
Cheers
Steven

Mosin
11-18-2017, 07:46 PM
I use the adapter hose and all my things that ran on one pounders are hooked to a 10 pound bottle, lasts forever. I haven't tried one of those splicers yet that let u run 2 appliances at a time ie: lamp and heater

Saskhunter
01-19-2018, 04:39 PM
Thanks for posting that video, I always kept mine in the freezer. It's a pain, this is way better. We use a lot of one pounders in situations that a hose and a five pounder don't make sense. We haul a lot of water in the winter and use a torch a lot. I agree that if you can convert then go ahead and get a hose and tank, makes sense. Now all I need is forceps...

Frosty
03-18-2018, 06:56 PM
I have the little adaptor to refill the 1lb bottles, but I can't get any transfer at all. I've watched all the videos tried everything and I still can't refill the pounders. Has anyone else had this problem, maybe its a bad adaptor?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Johnny G1
03-18-2018, 09:28 PM
I have the little adaptor to refill the 1lb bottles, but I can't get any transfer at all. I've watched all the videos tried everything and I still can't refill the pounders. Has anyone else had this problem, maybe its a bad adaptor?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks How new is your 20lb tank, if new in the last 10 yrs??? it has a saftey valve built in and it won't let the gas out as quick as you need it, all my 30 lbs are like that, you can open the valve with nothing attached and they shut off, something to think about.

Firstblood
03-18-2018, 09:57 PM
There is a way around the new safety shutoffs. I use my adapters every day to refil the one pound bottles. Old tanks you could just crack the valve and go but the new tanks automatically close if you open it too fast. Open it as slowly as humanly possible, just crack it, then creeeeep it open, might only go a quarter turn but suuuuuuuper slowly, you will hear a steady gas flow then listen for the trickle of liquid into the tank, they sound different, then slowly open the valve a bit more. In one minute its full. It takes some practice but I do it every day, fill two bottles in less than five minutes, saves me a ton of money.

Frosty
03-20-2018, 06:09 PM
Thanks guys, I know there is a float in there, but all new tanks have them and most people are using newer tanks because of expiration. How is everyone able to fill the 1lbers still lol.

Firstblood I tried this and I could hear the trickle of liquid. But the trickle stops when I open the valve more. And I'm doing it super slow and tried many different times.

Appreciate the help

Dannybuoy
03-20-2018, 08:00 PM
You have to let air/pressure ? out of the 1 lb tank as it is being filled . I use needle nose pliers to gently pull the relief valve .

okas
03-27-2018, 09:03 AM

yes and the 20lb inside warm and purge the valve on the 1 lb.

Firstblood
03-28-2018, 09:27 PM
Thanks guys, I know there is a float in there, but all new tanks have them and most people are using newer tanks because of expiration. How is everyone able to fill the 1lbers still lol.

Firstblood I tried this and I could hear the trickle of liquid. But the trickle stops when I open the valve more. And I'm doing it super slow and tried many different times.

Appreciate the help

Once you hear the trickle dont open it more, I usually only crack it less than a quarter turn. trickle will fill it. It took some getting used to but I do 4 tanks every morning so now its easy.

twoSevenO
09-30-2018, 08:28 PM
Bumping this thread because I just got a 5ft hose to get rid of the 1lb canisters

And I got a problem.... my Coleman stove wont work with it. Seems the piece inside the stove part isnt long enough to depress the pin on the hose

Anyone had this? Hose works OK for my buddy heater and BBQ though.

Ferenc
09-30-2018, 09:02 PM
Just wondering if your able to unscrew the pin with a socket and space it out with some material , O ring or washer ... I do believe you can take them apart .

okas
10-01-2018, 11:06 PM
valve and when you see liquid gas coming out it's full. yub that's the way to do it

elch jager
10-11-2018, 02:28 PM
Anyone know of a local shop that stocks these adapters?
Planning on a 10 night stay and think I'll need my little buddy heater...
Hate laying out $60 and then tossing 10 empties...

Steeleco
10-11-2018, 02:56 PM
Anyone know of a local shop that stocks these adapters?
Planning on a 10 night stay and think I'll need my little buddy heater...
Hate laying out $60 and then tossing 10 empties...

They are or at least were illegal in Canada when I bought mine a few years back. Amazon might get you one in time?

lip_ripper00
10-11-2018, 09:21 PM
Why not use a 10 pound tank and an adapter?

Johnny G1
10-11-2018, 11:55 PM
I have 2 of these adapter's that I never used, they might be 4sale if we know where they might have to be sent, if poster would give a general area where they live, it would help a lot, do you live in BC etc. I see a lot of this on all forum's, Just my thought's

twoSevenO
10-12-2018, 12:15 AM
They are or at least were illegal in Canada when I bought mine a few years back. Amazon might get you one in time?

What a illegal? The heaters or adapters?

Because both are sold by large retailers like Canadian tire and amazon.ca .... definitely wouldnt be the case if they were illegal.

Busterpayton54
10-12-2018, 08:38 AM
Amazon, 1-2day delivery.

10-12-2018, 08:48 AM
Got mine last year on Amazon.
But Cabelas does sell them just more money. Id imagine CT would sell them too. Just never seen them there.

twoSevenO
10-12-2018, 10:14 AM
Amazon, 1-2day delivery.

got one. was crap. didn't work for 2 appliances. The pin is recessed way too far in and can't be depressed by the appliance regulator. Annoying.

Sent it back and new one arrived just today (diff manufacturer) will have to try it at lunch time and see.

Chewie
11-29-2018, 09:15 PM
I don’t have a freezer so had to come up with my own way of filling them. Took what I considered the good points off of YouTube and went from there. I never mess with the relief valve either. Never put in more than a pound. Start filling my own because I didn’t have room for a bottle in the galley on the boat. Used up a 30 pound bottle this summer. At around 9 bucks a pound for the canisters it didn’t take long to pay for the 25 dollar adapter. I bought mine off Amazon.
In my opinion the danger lies in over filling and then getting the canister hot (leaving in the hot sun) which will cause it to blow off through the relief valve. If it does that around an ignition source,well you should know the rest of the story. Or over filling and getting liquid in the line to the burner. Flame on!!
Done right there is no danger and you can save yourself a pile of money if you use lots like me.
I’m sure as sure can be though that there will be a corner cutter out there that will hurt him or herself and that is why is why the practice is not encouraged.

twoSevenO
11-29-2018, 11:24 PM
Update, I returned the adapter hose off amazon and ordered a different brand one. Works fine now for my BBQ, buddy heater, and cooking stove

Frango
12-02-2018, 12:07 PM
I got one from Amazon.ca for $7.95 .It came from China. Works great refill 1 lb cans all the time no issues .

elch jager
12-05-2018, 08:50 AM
Ended up getting a 10 ft hose with correct fitting from Canuck tire for $20...
20lb tank and no getting up at night to change the 1 lb thimble...