PDA

View Full Version : 3-30/3-31, any suggestions

aamenta
11-08-2017, 12:09 PM
Heading up towards loon lake for the long weekend with the gf, but since it’s in prime hunting territory I was thinking about taking a drive and a hike into the marble range area one of the days. It’s my last chance this season to get out so I thought why not reach out to some of you folks to see if there’s any info I can get before going out.

Thanks and good luck to those hunting this weekend!

edit, I still have all my tags. Had a rough year so far. No meat in my freezer. Moose, mule and white tail tags.
edit, post hunting update on page 4! :D

white moose
11-08-2017, 12:33 PM
Could check out big bar area or the jesmond road near kelly lake, south of clinton.
I cant remember the name of the mountain, but used to hike in off one of the side roads off of jesmond rd. Good mulies, would imagine it might be too snowy for hiking around up high though.

aamenta
11-08-2017, 12:43 PM
Yeah I was thinking about the power lines by kelly lake road.
Just depends on snow.

I would love to get something for my freezer!

i know moose is a long shot here, especially since it’s for spike fork only.. but does anyone have any info on moose in the region.

303savage
11-08-2017, 01:01 PM
No meat in my freezer. Moose, mule and white tail tags.

Do you have a good recipe for "Tag Soup"? That's what the wife asks me when I have tags at the end of the season?

aamenta
11-08-2017, 01:19 PM
Do you have a good recipe for "Tag Soup"? That's what the wife asks me when I have tags at the end of the season?

I usually do a trip north for two weeks for elk and moose but this year work got in the way last minute which made me cancel my trip. Now I’m left with all my tags. I’ve been out a lot on weekends too, tons of hiking and exploring. Just a rough year for me. Tag soup it is!

It’s the most expensive soup I’ll make all year

Weatherby Fan
11-08-2017, 01:28 PM
I usually do a trip north for two weeks for elk and moose but this year work got in the way last minute which made me cancel my trip. Now I’m left with all my tags. I’ve been out a lot on weekends too, tons of hiking and exploring. Just a rough year for me. Tag soup it is!

It’s the most expensive soup I’ll make all year

I'm ok with tag soup as long as I get to go hunting.......it's when I don't get to go hunting and Im making tag soup then I get bitchy ! hahaha

aamenta PM sent

xfactor
11-08-2017, 06:04 PM
Hey weatherbyfan, care to share the info with me as well?

browningboy
11-08-2017, 08:27 PM
Guys Loon is burnt out, you’ll have to travel some to get some greenery, we’ll I wouldn’t shoot them in a burnt area? Look up the elephant hill fire for extent of burn

Whonnock Boy
11-08-2017, 08:37 PM
I couldn't tell you the deer populations prior to the burn, but I can tell you that there are still deer around there. It's the perfect time to knock back the populations considering the browse available, and the winter ahead.
Guys Loon is burnt out, you’ll have to travel some to get some greenery, we’ll I wouldn’t shoot them in a burnt area? Look up the elephant hill fire for extent of burn

browningboy
11-08-2017, 08:41 PM
I couldn't tell you the deer populations prior to the burn, but I can tell you that there are still deer around there. It's the perfect time to knock back the populations considering the browse available, and the winter ahead.

there is deer there, but in a burnt out area who would have the conscious to take one?

Sangstercraft
11-08-2017, 09:45 PM
Could check out big bar area or the jesmond road near kelly lake, south of clinton.
I cant remember the name of the mountain, but used to hike in off one of the side roads off of jesmond rd. Good mulies, would imagine it might be too snowy for hiking around up high though.

I hunted the Jesmond road loop Nov 24-28 last year. Lots of snow. Minimal deer sign. The biggest tracks we cut were between Edge Hills and Marble Range. From Jesmond to Clinton (going clockwise on the loop) there was almost no deer sign.
When we looked off Cougar Lookout near Edge Hills, we saw tons of deer across the Fraser on a farmer's fields. I had the gov't land maps, and it showed private property for that area and the surrounding area. We went back down towards Lillooet and followed the road back up the Fraser on the West side. Saw a half dozen does but no buck sign.

aamenta
11-08-2017, 09:48 PM
In my post I did not talk about hunting Loon lake, I am just staying there.
I was thinking about heading up to marble range and I was looking for some information maybe on a spot I could find a white tail buck since it's any buck.

Finding a 4x mule won't be as easy and same with spike fork bull moose.

aamenta
11-08-2017, 09:49 PM
I hunted the Jesmond road loop Nov 24-28 last year. Lots of snow. Minimal deer sign. The biggest tracks we cut were between Edge Hills and Marble Range. From Jesmond to Clinton (going clockwise on the loop) there was almost no deer sign.
When we looked off Cougar Lookout near Edge Hills, we saw tons of deer across the Fraser on a farmer's fields. I had the gov't land maps, and it showed private property for that area and the surrounding area. We went back down towards Lillooet and followed the road back up the Fraser on the West side. Saw a half dozen does but no buck sign.

Interesting, thanks for that info.
I think I'll just go explore, that's part of the fun and go see what I can find.

But information like this is always helpful prior to heading out

shed-hunter1
11-08-2017, 10:22 PM
3-31 is not whitetail country

jackpine
11-08-2017, 10:23 PM
Ask Jelvis...

Bpower
11-09-2017, 07:04 PM

There's a few in that area actually.

Weatherby Fan
11-09-2017, 07:23 PM
I’ve hunted 3-30 for 35 years and just last year seen 3 Whitetails together out by Clinton ???
My brother has seen a few out by Bonaparte Lake in the last 5 years

russm
11-09-2017, 07:39 PM

Maybe not major whitetail country, I know of a few that were shot there this season.

604redneck
11-09-2017, 07:43 PM
there is deer there, but in a burnt out area who would have the conscious to take one?
Whats wrong with hunting burns? Or are you just referring to the year of the burn?

Whonnock Boy
11-09-2017, 08:13 PM
It's all about carrying capacity. Really, more deer than usual should be taken out of areas like the elephant hill fire to give the ones that survive the season a better chance of surviving the diminished food supply through the winter. I have zero qualms about hunting deer in there.

aamenta
11-09-2017, 08:15 PM
On the road, I’ll check back in after the hunt. Good luck to anyone going out this weekend and thanks for all the help.

browningboy
11-09-2017, 11:06 PM
It's all about carrying capacity. Really, more deer than usual should be taken out of areas like the elephant hill fire to give the ones that survive the season a better chance of surviving the diminished food supply through the winter. I have zero qualms about hunting deer in there.

Well for what they went through and the amount of food loss, it’s the man you are I guess, good luck

Whonnock Boy
11-09-2017, 11:37 PM
It's science. For arguments sake, let's say prior to the Elephant hill fire, the area could sustain 1000 mule deer, even in the harshest winters. Now with, I'm guessing based on my own visual observations, 75% of the landscape burned, the area can only sustain 250 mule deer. Those 1000 deer are competing for food that can sustain only 25% of them. The assumption is, 750 mule deer, or 75%, are going to die due to a lack of feed, but in reality, a much greater percentage is going to die, possibly 900 or more! IF..... there was maybe 400 deer vying for that same 25% of feed, theoretically maybe half of them will die due to starvation, leaving 200 deer. More deer will die due to starvation, than hunters will possibly harvest. Does that make sense?

Well for what they went through and the amount of food loss, it’s the man you are I guess, good luck

wideopenthrottle
11-10-2017, 12:06 AM
there will be massive winter kill if there is not enough food....as said a huge percentage will die when all the food is gone early..shooting as many bucks as possible out of there is not just a humane thing to do but also the best assistance a conservationist could give..they will eat till all the food is gone and then starve ..they dont know how to ration food

Weatherby Fan
11-10-2017, 12:08 AM
It's science. For arguments sake, let's say prior to the Elephant hill fire, the area could sustain 1000 mule deer, even in the harshest winters. Now with, I'm guessing based on my own visual observations, 75% of the landscape burned, the area can only sustain 250 mule deer. Those 1000 deer are competing for food that can sustain only 25% of them. The assumption is, 750 mule deer, or 75%, are going to die due to a lack of feed, but in reality, a much greater percentage is going to die, possibly 900 or more! IF..... there was maybe 400 deer vying for that same 25% of feed, theoretically maybe half of them will die due to starvation, leaving 200 deer. More deer will die due to starvation, than hunters will possibly harvest. Does that make sense?

Do you really think those deer will just stay in a burn with no food and starve to death ? They only have to move a few kilometres west or east and there in good food and cover, animals are pretty adaptive I️m curious as to where your getting your assumptions from ? Is this just a theory of yours ?

Whonnock Boy
11-10-2017, 12:27 AM
Honestly, I have no idea how many deer will remain in the area, versus leaving for greener pastures. It would certainly be an interesting study. Personal observations have shown that deer are still in the area, I'm assuming because it's all they know. That said, the theory is sound. The carrying capacity of the area is severely diminished, and those that have stayed, or going to stay, could have a tough winter ahead of them. Based on the "theory", I really don't believe continuing to hunt the area is doing more harm than good. Something else to think about is, how will added numbers to areas surrounding the burn impact the carrying capacity of those areas? What I know for sure is, wolves wouldn't still be frequenting the area if there wasn't anything to eat.

I'm curious. What are your own observations for the area? Are the numbers still there, or are the fringe areas carrying more deer?

Do you really think those deer will just stay in a burn with no food and starve to death ? They only have to move a few kilometres west or east and there in good food and cover, animals are pretty adaptive I️m curious as to where your getting your assumptions from ? Is this just a theory of yours ?

Weatherby Fan
11-10-2017, 01:10 AM
Honestly, I have no idea how many deer will remain in the area, versus leaving for greener pastures. It would certainly be an interesting study. Personal observations have shown that deer are still in the area, I'm assuming because it's all they know. That said, the theory is sound. The carrying capacity of the area is severely diminished, and those that have stayed, or going to stay, could have a tough winter ahead of them. Based on the "theory", I really don't believe continuing to hunt the area is doing more harm than good. Something else to think about is, how will added numbers to areas surrounding the burn impact the carrying capacity of those areas? What I know for sure is, wolves wouldn't still be frequenting the area if there wasn't anything to eat.

I'm curious. What are your own observations for the area? Are the numbers still there, or are the fringe areas carrying more deer?

I will have a better idea after Dec 9 as I’ll be up that way from November 28 for a cpl weeks, from the limited time I have spent up there this year, surprisingly there seems to be a good number of doe’s with fawns, I did see a handful of bucks to.

Whonnock Boy
11-10-2017, 01:24 AM
I'm interested to hear what you observe. One thing I did see, was a good number of deer frequenting the farmers fields and surrounding hills, but I'm assuming this is normal for that area. I would be willing to bet that those fields are going to be pretty full come the dead of winter, something the locals have not seen in a while. This year will be the hardest for the survivors, but the coming years, oh man.....

I will have a better idea after Dec 9 as I’ll be up that way from November 28 for a cpl weeks, from the limited time I have spent up there this year, surprisingly there seems to be a good number of doe’s with fawns, I did see a handful of bucks to.

wideopenthrottle
11-10-2017, 08:02 AM

I am not so sure about that...I have heard of deer staying in their winter range starving because that is where they think they should be to avoid snow....even in years when the snow has melted early outside their winter range they don't budge...I learned about this in school but I will try to find a link for you if you like...

browningboy
11-10-2017, 10:13 PM
Well I'm up here right now for the next few days, I'll update tomorrow night so long as we don't stay up too late!

REMINGTON JIM
11-10-2017, 10:42 PM
I think the DEER have mostly all moved out due to the Fire and will stay away till there is sufficent food source for them to return ! They are VERY Smart ! :smile: RJ

aamenta
11-14-2017, 09:04 AM
Well.. finally after a crazy tough season.
I am not ending it with just tag soup.

On Saturday Nov 11th I connected with my FIRST mature Mule deer!
This beautiful 4x4 showed himself after following some fresh tracks.
My friend and I stopped and were discussing the area, how we should hunt it for the evening and then in the corner of my eye this guy was staring at me from about 40 yards.
He looked shocked and was immediately on the run.

I go to a vantage point and spotted him again 50-60 yards away, he turned and looked at me where I was able to confirm he was legal but he was on the run.

At this point I was breathing heavy, running like my life depended on it as he was on his way down a slope into some marshland with the timber right behind it.

He was on the left of a patch of trees and was turning right into it and on the other side was a wide opening where I could get a shot.
I tried to control my breathing but.. after running close to a combined 100 yards and seeing a MONSTER like this, there was no controlling the heart but I did my best, had my gun ready hoping he would come out to the opening and there he was running.

BOOM....
MISS..

I take a deep breath and reload instantly with the gun back up.. I still have some time so I didnt rush the 2nd shot,

BOOM.

HIT.

Buck immediately slows down and is clearly maimed but is moving fast. He enters the forest and I head down to try and confirm blood.

I find his blood and was so revealed that it was gushing out.

After a small track and a slight chase he got up from his bed and ran back up hill towards where I shot him from. I was able to finish the job.

Thank you to all those who messaged me and sent me tips, It was helpful to get out and check those locations but I ended up finding this buck in a different spot.
Since we had no luck anywhere you all told me to go. We needed to start spreading out and getting higher.

Unfortunately, the area was very dead and no movement.
This deer was the only deer we saw in 3 days of hunting.
My friend had a doe draw for 3-31 but there wasn't anything but tracks.
Yes there was tracks but no movement at all.

A CO stopped us at a gas station and said we were the first people he's check that had a tag filled in a couple days.

Until next year! This closes out my season, and like I said, thankfully it's not just tag soup!

-Anthony

https://i.imgur.com/aChOg2u.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/yVDqRT5.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Lc8wYgM.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/OT91zuM.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zfImmj4.jpg[/QUOTE]

Weatherby Fan
11-14-2017, 09:12 AM
Awesome work Anthony, congrats on a nice buck, glad it all worked out for you.
Nice rifle Ruger 77 Tang safety..............caliber ?
Thanks for sharing
WF

LuckyIfYouGetOne
11-14-2017, 09:27 AM
Nice buck congrats

wideopenthrottle
11-14-2017, 09:27 AM
great work on that buck...thanks for the story and the pics and taking the time to put them up for us

Whonnock Boy
11-14-2017, 10:15 AM
Quality buck right there. Thanks for sharing.

aamenta
11-14-2017, 10:19 AM
Awesome work Anthony, congrats on a nice buck, glad it all worked out for you.
Nice rifle Ruger 77 Tang safety..............caliber ?
Thanks for sharing
WF
Ruger M77 Mark II in 7mm Rem Mag

This rifle has been a blessing. From deer, bear and moose.
My scope is an old one but incredibly reliable.
bausch and lomb elite 3000, 3-9

huntcoop
11-14-2017, 11:13 AM
Well done, I'd be very please shooting that 4 point, nice work!

Eva_Hunts
11-14-2017, 02:08 PM
incredible dude! way to persevere!

wideopenthrottle
11-14-2017, 02:26 PM
Ruger M77 Mark II in 7mm Rem Mag

This rifle has been a blessing. From deer, bear and moose.
My scope is an old one but incredibly reliable.
bausch and lomb elite 3000, 3-9
just an FYI on your scope....when my B&L fogged a few years ago I sent it to bushnell (they bought B&L) to get new seals and a fresh charge of gas...they said it was too expensive to repair and sent me a bran new bushnell scope to replace it....

browningboy
11-14-2017, 02:39 PM
Great job!

aamenta
11-14-2017, 11:30 PM
just an FYI on your scope....when my B&L fogged a few years ago I sent it to bushnell (they bought B&L) to get new seals and a fresh charge of gas...they said it was too expensive to repair and sent me a bran new bushnell scope to replace it....

Interesting, when the time comes for my scope.. and honestly I hope it never does. This thing has never failed me, I will try that!

What scope did they end up sending you?

wideopenthrottle
11-15-2017, 08:10 AM
Interesting, when the time comes for my scope.. and honestly I hope it never does. This thing has never failed me, I will try that!

What scope did they end up sending you?

I think it is a 3500 but my B&L was nothing fancy (scopechief) so definitely an upgrade

Rob Chipman
11-15-2017, 03:31 PM
Nice buck! Did you go Loon Lake or Jesmond area? I was up Jesmond way and saw a tent by Porcupine Creek and couldn't help thinking: I wonder if that's him? :-)

aamenta
11-15-2017, 04:38 PM
Nice buck! Did you go Loon Lake or Jesmond area? I was up Jesmond way and saw a tent by Porcupine Creek and couldn't help thinking: I wonder if that's him? :-)
We literally covered almost all of 3-31 and we saw one deer. There were tracks everywhere, fresh and old but nothing was moving at first light or last light. We hit jesmond Saturday morning and covered lots of the power lines, nothing. Big bar, nothing, white lake had some more fresh sign but as did the top of Hooke road.
Strange times in 3-31.

oh and by 70 mile there was lots of sign as well, some big buck tracks but nothing showed up.
We did a mixture of hiking, road hunting/exploring for tracks and sitting/calling.