PDA

View Full Version : Lytton - Lillooet rut hunt "strategy" *TIPS* (not locations)

TCMX
11-07-2017, 11:42 AM
Planning on hunting the rut (mule deer) in Lytton - Lilooet area, just looking for help with how to go about it as far as strategy goes.

Are they up high still ?

Down low?

Everywhere?

rattling/calling?

never hunted this area so not sure where to start.

hickman
11-09-2017, 04:30 PM
Depends on where exactly. From my experience rut should be on in that area now.I have seen bucks in the past anywhere from 800m to 2200m elevation. Keep in mind it is 4pt in most areas. Those are harder to find and are typically up high. I found smaller bucks lower. I will go for 4pt this weekend near Lillooet and will do some calling. Find does and sit, wait for the bucks. Every time I hunted in that area in mid November I saw bucks when I found does.

Sangstercraft
11-09-2017, 05:28 PM
If you're sitting in a bush rattling... consider wearing some orange. I had a guy sneak up on me, rifle at the ready, thinking I was a buck. And that is AFTER I told the guy that I was going to go rattle in a thicket.

twoSevenO
11-09-2017, 06:10 PM
If you're sitting in a bush rattling... consider wearing some orange. I had a guy sneak up on me, rifle at the ready, thinking I was a buck. And that is AFTER I told the guy that I was going to go rattle in a thicket.

what part of a human being looks like a buck? Were you wearing your Rudolf xmas hat complete with antlers?

i've heard this before ..... could never figure out how the hell someone mistakes a human for a deer. Unless they're just stalking movement not actually knowing what it is??