PDA

View Full Version : Success, Finally

jtred
11-06-2017, 02:25 PM
My mule deer drought is finally at an end. After four years of close encounters but just not being able to pull the trigger a really nice 5x3 found his way into my scope. This past Saturday was a snow day so in other words perfect for being up on a mountain searching for a mature mule deer buck. After leaving the truck just shortly before daylight I knew I was in the right spot when I spotted 4 does within 5 minutes. I spent the next 6 hours slowly making my way up the ridge skirting a cutblock watching groups of does, one small buck and a herd of elk feeding across the block. I watched at least a dozen or more does in small groups feeding and bedding all morning. It was the most animals I've seen in one outing all season(I think last winter was really hard on the animals, areas I used to see animals every time seemed to be deserted this year). The area is relatively new to me since a friend purchased a an acreage backing on to crown giving me access to the bottom edge of this block without having to drive into the area.

Around 1:30pm I decided to head back down to the truck by slowly making my way across the block into the wind giving me a chance to get a look at a lot of the area. Half an hour later I spot a doe, watch it for a while then there's another, a third appears out of some minor fold, followed by a fourth, doe number five shows up after scouring the immediate area closely. The sixth and seventh does seem to appear out of nowhere followed by a buck. There isn't much cover to cut the distance(400m+ steep uphill and no way to get prone or even sit) so despite really wanting to shoot I watched as they slowly fed across the hillside not really getting closer but not getting farther away. As soon as they disappeared into a small ravine I headed as quickly as I could up towards where I thought they might come out, I was wrong. As I'm picking apart the hillside where I thought they should be I just happen to glance up and to my right and there they are all grouped together staring down at me from a very steep section of the block approximately 180-200m away. I get set up on my shooting stick and wait for the buck to clear the does. They are all kind of milling around some feeding, others watching me, and the whole time the buck is sort of moving through the group but never stepping clear. This goes on for a while.

Finally he looks like he going to head up and clear the group, I'm on him as soon as he steps clear he's in trouble. Just as he almost steps into the clear he wheels around and heads down, a lot went through my head right about then 1) he's at a terrible angle for me to shoot 2) he's going to clear the group 3) he's going to disappear into the ravine below them in about 1/2 a second. I'm shooting steeply uphill at an animal quartering downhill very steeply it's like I'm shooting more at his back. Well I squeezed the trigger and watched him stagger before he was out of sight. The does seemed completely unconcerned as I made my way up and across to where I had seen the buck disappear. When I found him he wasn't quite done so I had to finish him. Really prefer one shot kills but I was just grateful that I was getting a chance to end my mule deer drought with such a beautiful animal. A big bodied 5x3, almost a 6x3 but the one sticker is only 3/4". Heavy antlers with a couple of them more blade shaped and a bit of palmation. It was a bit of work to get him off the mountain and into the woodshed at home. He's by far and away the biggest deer I've ever shot, the only thing that would have made it more perfect is if I'd got him on one of my backpacking trips. Mountain mule deer are my favourite animal to hunt. For this hunt I was using my 25-06rem shooting Federal Premium 115gr Nosler Partitions.
I took a few pictures but I've never been able to upload onto this site without using an outside website so I just don't bother.

Weatherby Fan
11-06-2017, 02:29 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen........congrats !
Ill send you a PM with my info email or text a Cpl pictures and Ill post for you

wideopenthrottle
11-06-2017, 02:55 PM
great work jtred.......and super pics man.. well done..thanks for sharing

DeepJeep
11-06-2017, 02:56 PM
nicely done. Congrats!
looking forward to pics.

jtred
11-06-2017, 03:17 PM
great work jtred...good story...many with old eyes would prolly like it more if you broke it up into paragraphs with the odd double space to make it easier to read but other than that nice story....
I do write it up with paragraphs and double spacing but for whatever reason it reformats itself from our Mac to the site. I'll work on it but I rarely post anything so I don't get a lot of practise. I just wanted to share this story because mule deer have been my favourite animal to hunt for the past five years or so. I'd rather be backpacking for mule deer than any other type of hunt. This is my best mule deer to date taken in a new area I've never really explored, on my own so I was a pretty happy guy on Saturday.

Blainer
11-06-2017, 03:23 PM
We are happy for you, great accomplishment. Flip WF some pictures, he will post for you. Sounds like a nice buck

skibum
11-06-2017, 03:59 PM
Congratulation on the big buck -- Thanks for the story dude!

twoSevenO
11-06-2017, 04:07 PM
I took a few pictures but I've never been able to upload onto this site without using an outside website so I just don't bother.

And this is why forums of all kinds are dying out ..... Owners, take note. Hire some developers. Get some extra server space!

Congrats on your successful hunt. Sounds like a great trip.

Cyrus
11-06-2017, 04:13 PM
I can picture it in my mind..congrats!

Whonnock Boy
11-06-2017, 05:10 PM
Alright! Thanks for posting up. Now get some photos to WF pronto!!! ;)

Weatherby Fan
11-06-2017, 05:59 PM
Ok the photos finally come through !

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/DSCF1666_zpsljtkyefr.jpg (http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/WeatherbyFan65/media/DSCF1666_zpsljtkyefr.jpg.html)http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/WeatherbyFan65/DSCF1668_zps1lcrieyh.jpg (http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/WeatherbyFan65/media/DSCF1668_zps1lcrieyh.jpg.html)

jtred
11-06-2017, 06:03 PM
Thanks for offering to post these up for me Weatherby Fan.

pg83
11-06-2017, 06:07 PM
Nice job man and a great way to break the drought. Congrats and thanks for the share.

Weatherby Fan
11-06-2017, 06:14 PM
Thanks for offering to post these up for me Weatherby Fan.

Your welcome and congrats on a nice buck, good work

Liveforthehunt
11-06-2017, 06:15 PM
Nicely done ! Good to see !

Salty
11-06-2017, 06:23 PM
Sweet !

rocksteady
11-06-2017, 06:36 PM
Nice tall buck.. was he stanky?

dd3boss
11-06-2017, 06:51 PM
Nice buck! Congratulations!

quadrakid
11-06-2017, 06:53 PM
Great story and a heckuva nice buck.

RackStar
11-06-2017, 06:58 PM
Great great buck. Congrats. Love the thick neck

Blainer
11-06-2017, 07:04 PM
Very Handsome Buck! Thanks for sharing

jtred
11-06-2017, 07:12 PM
Nice tall buck.. was he stanky?
His neck looked like a linebackers but strangely he does not stink, I grilled up some last night as a starter and you can tell it's venison but not a stinky rutted up mule deer.

dougan
11-06-2017, 07:20 PM
Stud buck thanks for posting!

ghost
11-06-2017, 07:29 PM
Nice buck,always feels good to shoot one after a few years .

f350ps
11-06-2017, 07:50 PM
great work jtred...good story...many with old eyes would prolly like it more if you broke it up into paragraphs with the odd double space to make it easier to read but other than that nice story....
Seriously, that's all you got!! K

JoeSixPack
11-06-2017, 07:51 PM
Beauty, that's a shooter for sure!

f350ps
11-06-2017, 07:54 PM
That's one beauty of a buck jtred, very well done, you should be awfully proud, you played the game and won! K

Rattler
11-06-2017, 09:15 PM
Nice buck, congrats!

russm
11-06-2017, 09:37 PM
Nice buck, you probably cursed yourself for a few years though, my first was a 5x6ish whitetail and for 5 years after I got skunked lol

Looking_4_Jerky
11-06-2017, 10:08 PM
Terrific buck; congrats.

I love the fact you took him early in the month. I hear so many guys not giving it all they have or not even going out yet because it's not "peak rut" yet, lol! Peak rut may be the peak, but the rut itself stretches from late Oct to mid Dec, and any time therein there is a chance to see great bucks like yours. Just gotta get out there like you did. Good job.

Ryo
11-07-2017, 05:41 AM
Nice looking buck! Admire the rack while enjoying your steaks!
Congratulations on a successful hunt.

boxhitch
11-07-2017, 06:15 AM
Good story of a good hunt, love those snow days, attago

......As soon as they disappeared into a small ravine I headed as quickly as I could up towards where I thought they might come out, I was wrong. As I'm picking apart the hillside where I thought they should be I just happen to glance up and to my right and there they are all grouped together staring down at me............... been there=priceless

floden
11-07-2017, 06:25 AM
Congrats. Btw you wrote a really good story and then when WF posted your pics it made it all come together. Msg to site owners.... Can you look into easier ways for folks to post pics???

tayleoscar
11-07-2017, 09:05 AM
Awesome buck!! Way to go

albravo2
11-07-2017, 09:15 AM
Great buck JT! That must have felt good.

BDAJ
11-07-2017, 09:21 AM
Great buck JT! Congrats!

DeepJeep
11-07-2017, 09:47 AM
thats a good looking buck... congrats again.

jtred
11-11-2017, 07:57 AM
My 14 year old daughter and I headed back into the area for the last day of mule deer to see if another buck had taken over the harem, had a good day spotted 8 or so deer. Two of them were bucks just not legal 4-points. We got to within 20ft or so of a group of does and fawns, my girl thought it was pretty exciting just being so close to wildlife. The elk were really making some noise early on, I've heard more bugling in November then I did through Sept/Oct combined. Sure wish the elk season went into November, I'd love to hunt them in the snow and when temperatures are cooler.

jtred
11-11-2017, 08:09 AM
Terrific buck; congrats.

I love the fact you took him early in the month. I hear so many guys not giving it all they have or not even going out yet because it's not "peak rut" yet, lol! Peak rut may be the peak, but the rut itself stretches from late Oct to mid Dec, and any time therein there is a chance to see great bucks like yours. Just gotta get out there like you did. Good job.
I hunt mule deer in the alpine starting right at the beginning of the season, bucks can be found quite high. My partner and I usually head into one of many alpine lakes in the area that we know has cutthroat and spend a few days fishing and hiking the high ridges glassing bowls. It's awesome just not particularly successful as far as shooting a mule deer. We always catch fish and my buddy often elects to pack a shotgun so we can shoot blue grouse/ruffies. We eat like kings, cutthroat stuffed with huckleberries and garlic with a starter of grouse kebabs that have been marinated in spices and scotch.

I don't wait until the rut to hunt mule deer, I prefer the taste of them before they get all rutted up. Besides the season ends here on November 10th, it's not like I can wait until later, I got that deer on the last Saturday of the season.

kennyj
11-12-2017, 06:53 AM
Great story and awesome buck!!
kenny

avadad
11-12-2017, 12:22 PM
Great buck!

HarryToolips
11-12-2017, 03:19 PM
Very nice buck, congrats!