PDA

View Full Version : 3-33f goat pics

Steelpulse
11-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Here is my goat from 3-33f leh. I drew 1 of 8 tags and went in early sept thinking I wanted first shot At a goat as it's a small area, I figured probably only one goat per season probably came out of the area, so I made a plan to hunt the mountain goat.

Had a a flight booked. Arrive at airport all good and then they start to ask for anyone willing to get next flight as overbooked to Kamloops where I'm picking up my brothers Suzuki tracker which is the hunting whip for the real backcountry. I volunteer for the bump because they are also giving $800 bucks to change planes. Took the money and hitched a ride up to Kamloops with my friend who was leaving at the same time. I was in no rush and had the next 3 weeks off. Great start 800 richer

Get to the spot around 230am and park somewhere down a back road and camp for the next few hours until sunrise.

Day one circled of the entire zone on the only two roads. Did some glassing trying to scout and see what the area actually looked like not just from google earth. I stuck with original plan and that afternoon I made my first hike in from the south with a plan to search an area I had seen on google earth that I heard and thought might have some goats. Walked 2 hours in made camp ready for a morning glass

day 2 hike another 2 hours in the am and am really not liking the area as it might be a far trek back solo so turn it around right away pick up camp and hoof it out get in the car and drive all the way around to my initial 2nd plan where I now think might be more goaty. Get to new spot around 4 and hike up this ridiculous hill to a spot where I can not physically climb anymore and have to make a camp there. My tent is slowly sliding down the hill all night and I have to keep getting up and pulling back up about 3-4 feet every time not ideal but I don't believe these hunts are ideal in any scenario

day 3-6 finally hunting goats in country that looks great. Tracks all over. And then the smoke rolls in hard for the next 3 days and spotting is very difficult could only use the binos. but day 6 the smoke clears a bit and I spot the first goat of the trip after many ptarmigan and marmots it was nice to see a goat. I spotted him 100 yards behind me after I had taken a break sat down took some pics ate some food. Then turn around and bam goat

immeditley get binos and spotter out and see his balls pretty quick as he climbs along the cliff to a bed 221 yards away. I set up and wait for him to stand up 2 hours later confirm again he has balls and let fly. Shoot high hit the spine dropped on the spot fell 600 feet down and 100 yards closer

pcked up and back at car 6 hours later and home 5 after that

https://imgur.com/gallery/v9QUG

twoSevenO
11-05-2017, 07:12 PM
Cool story. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on the elusive reg 3 goat LEH. I'm still trying for mine.

Good to hear you were able to plan your hunt properly and dedicate 10days to it. That's the way to go.

I ran into a couple hunters in the alpine last year that were on a goat leh. They headed out after 3 days. They were beat and couldn't take it anymore. Day after that I found numerous goats just 2km away.

Ourea
11-05-2017, 07:13 PM
https://i.imgur.com/1fd8fU7.jpg

Steelpulse
11-05-2017, 07:18 PM
Guess I could have done that haha

Blainer
11-05-2017, 08:02 PM
Great share, congratulations!

Buck
11-05-2017, 08:33 PM
Awesome brings back the goat hunting memories

LuckyIfYouGetOne
11-06-2017, 07:31 AM
Great story and billy congrats!

decker9
11-06-2017, 07:43 AM
Congrats on a nice billy!! Good job on sticking it out through the tough stuff, it paid off! Thanks for sharing, cheers!

happyhunter
11-06-2017, 09:04 AM
That's hardcore, good job on the goat!