PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have success 3-33f goat leh

Steelpulse
11-05-2017, 05:28 PM
Anyone of the other 7 tags out there get to 3-33f success? Sightings? Tag soup? The biologist had suggested that I would probably be the only successful tag holder in this zone based on historical success rates and that I was there opening days

ryanb
11-06-2017, 09:39 AM
When it comes to leh goat hunts, if they give out 10 tags for a zone... 5 people never even buy a species license.

Of the 5 that do, 3 of them drive around on logging roads until they realize they won't shoot one on the road. The last 2 that actually do hunt usually 1 or none are successful.

Congrats on your success, you've beaten the odds.

Darksith
11-06-2017, 10:14 AM
lets see him

Steelpulse
11-06-2017, 02:31 PM
These are the exact numbers I figured as well

When it comes to leh goat hunts, if they give out 10 tags for a zone... 5 people never even buy a species license.

Of the 5 that do, 3 of them drive around on logging roads until they realize they won't shoot one on the road. The last 2 that actually do hunt usually 1 or none are successful.

TexasWalker
11-06-2017, 04:39 PM

Hahaha this sums it up perfectly.

j270wsm
11-06-2017, 09:43 PM
It amazes me that people put in for goats and have no intention of going. The zone I hunt goats in has 128 tags given out. In 2014, there was 8-10 goats shot.

twoSevenO
11-06-2017, 10:03 PM
It amazes me that people put in for goats and have no intention of going. The zone I hunt goats in has 128 tags given out. In 2014, there was 8-10 goats shot.

People do this for a lot of game. I don't know why. I think it seems like a good idea in May. Then they either forget about it or wait too long to start planning or look into it and realize they don't have that kind of dedication.

Personally I know bison, grizz, sheep and goat LEH winners that never even went out.

$6.30 is cheap enough that people just play regardless I guess .... though for some of these highly coveted reg 3 goat tags it'd be nice if they could be transferred or something. Some units only get like 7-8 tags allocated

hickman
11-07-2017, 10:24 AM
Got an LEH goat in 3-33A three days after opening. Agree, a lot of people put in and then never go. Goat hunt is tough - physically challenging. The tougher the better, the fewer people.

bighornbob
11-07-2017, 01:50 PM

I think a lot of guys throw a goat or grizz tag in when they are applying for sheep, moose or elk. Them or their party does not get the coveted meat LEH so they dont even bother going just for a goat or grizz tag.

BHB

twoSevenO
11-07-2017, 02:42 PM
Got an LEH goat in 3-33A three days after opening. Agree, a lot of people put in and then never go. Goat hunt is tough - physically challenging. The tougher the better, the fewer people.

Cool. Congrats. How tough was yours to get? How long was the hike in and out?

TreeStandMan
11-07-2017, 05:00 PM
Goat hunting is no joke. I ate tag soup on my goat hunt on 3-35/36. Much respect to you guys who got it done. That said, I will put in again.

Steelpulse
11-07-2017, 06:16 PM
"Got hunting is is no joke" that's the truth right there. Takes a whole lot of hard hard hiking to get into a lot of these places

Goat hunting is no joke. I ate tag soup on my goat hunt on 3-35/36. Much respect to you guys who got it done. That said, I will put in again.

hickman
11-09-2017, 10:31 AM
It's a fun hunt. Physically more demanding for sure than alpine mule deer. Definitely easier to find goats, figure them out and stalk them. They are not shy. I had goat tags 2016 and this year. Last year I never found a shotable billy, just nannies and young billies. This year I filled my tag in 3-33 on opening weekend. I agree, lots of people put in and get the LEH tag and never go into their zone or if they do expect to drive up in their truck. Unfortunately (or luckily), that is (usually) not the way goat hunting works...

twoSevenO
11-09-2017, 11:37 AM
It's a fun hunt. Physically more demanding for sure than alpine mule deer. Definitely easier to find goats, figure them out and stalk them. They are not shy. I had goat tags 2016 and this year. Last year I never found a shotable billy, just nannies and young billies. This year I filled my tag in 3-33 on opening weekend. I agree, lots of people put in and get the LEH tag and never go into their zone or if they do expect to drive up in their truck. Unfortunately (or luckily), that is (usually) not the way goat hunting works...

you won goat tags in reg 3 two years in a row?!? wtf?

ughhh .... i can't manage 1 in 4 years :(

hickman
11-09-2017, 01:51 PM
Sure, I got lucky with goats but only drew one other LEH in 5 years even though I put in where the odds are really good. I like goats and goats like me ;-)

you won goat tags in reg 3 two years in a row?!? wtf?

ughhh .... i can't manage 1 in 4 years :(

twoSevenO
11-09-2017, 06:11 PM
Sure, I got lucky with goats but only drew one other LEH in 5 years even though I put in where the odds are really good. I like goats and goats like me ;-)

super jealous!