PDA

View Full Version : castlegar whitetail

white moose
11-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Hey just wondering if anyone can suggest some areas to look for a whitetail, considering all this snow. I was up on the bombi, the other day, didnt see too much sign and lots of snow. Any ideas? have an atv. Thanks

rocksteady
11-05-2017, 10:31 AM
Any thoughts that the deer were not moving because of the storm?

ST tend to wait it out in the thickets til weather improves

white moose
11-05-2017, 10:34 AM
Was thinking that, going go take another look. I did see fresh elk tracks around.

rocksteady
11-05-2017, 12:10 PM
Elk are not as sensitive to bad weather

DeepJeep
11-06-2017, 11:19 AM
I hunt around castlegar as well. I visited all my spots from last year and havent seen any fresh sign compared to last year.

white moose
11-06-2017, 11:38 AM
Hey, DeepJeep. You live in ooteschenia right? Any luck this year up here?

dapesche
11-06-2017, 11:46 AM
I'm over in Nelson and trying to figure out where to find the deer as well.
I was up smallwood on Sunday. Had a look around and saw a lot of deer tracks moving down the road. Not many tracks moving up hill. Headed into the timber looking for benches and potential travel and there wasn't much. I'm think Sunday morning had them transitioning lower....purely a guess as I really don't understand deer very weel.
No doubt last winter is fresh in their mind.

I'd be curious to know if there is much in the way of hunting spots above castlegar GC. I had driven up there to poke around and unfortunately the one spot I was interested in was gated...

good luck out there

DeepJeep
11-06-2017, 12:39 PM
Hey, DeepJeep. You live in ooteschenia right? Any luck this year up here?
I do... No nothing yet. PLENTY of grouse though. maybe i am just seeing them more this year.
Planning on hunting this weekend.
Wanna meet up for a beer/coffee?

maxtrax
11-06-2017, 08:16 PM
Been seeing the same stuff over in Slocan Valley as well. Very little travel on last year's hot spots. Also noting tracks predominantly moving downhill. Been seeing deer almost daily though in Valley bottom. I think over the next couple days I'll be in the woods where access to Valley bottom is likely. Good luck out there.