PDA

View Full Version : Wolves around Region 3

steepNdeep
11-03-2017, 11:01 PM
Anyone seen much recent wolf activity around Kamloops - Salmon Arm area? How are the deer doing there these days?

Definitely more & more showing up in the central Okanagan. Here's a lil track, where I'd never seen them before (size XL)...

http://fluidstudios.ca/UP/wolf.jpg

I vividly remember bowhunting near the border 15+ years ago & seeing my first wolf face-to-face at ~70m. It is a cool experience to have their wildness as part of our ecosystem, but they are experts at what they do & would change hunting in an area for generations if their populations are not managed properly.

Since then, packs have swept up from the states north & westward, seriously affecting hunters & our wildlife populations. We all need to help any way that we can with predator management, which is a necessary component of wildlife conservation...

Steelpulse
11-03-2017, 11:05 PM
All over. Could be anywhere any day. They move many km a day. The deer are fine there's tons

338win mag
11-04-2017, 07:25 AM
Wolves are thick around Salmon arm killing deer right near town and the surrounding towns nearby. They are where the game is and if the deer are hanging around populated area's it seems so are the wolves.

bc8x8
11-04-2017, 07:38 AM
They are in the hill's by Heffley Creek. The deer seem to be staying closer to the house's.

338win mag
11-04-2017, 07:45 AM
They are in the hill's by Heffley Creek. The deer seem to be staying closer to the house's.
They will do that to escape predators, I have seen deer hang around working logging equipment while a cougar is circling around.

browningboy
11-04-2017, 07:52 AM
There are lots in 3-30, the boneparte plateau has some big *******s

bigredchev
11-04-2017, 08:09 AM
lots of wolves in region 3 period. and 5.... etc

steepNdeep
11-04-2017, 10:40 AM
Wolves are thick around Salmon arm killing deer right near town and the surrounding towns nearby. They are where the game is and if the deer are hanging around populated area's it seems so are the wolves.

That's crazy! I've never heard of wolves near town. (But I'm from the Kootenays ;)

A gutpile is good bait... If there are fresh tracks in the area, it would be worth checking out the next day...

skibum
11-05-2017, 08:21 PM

I had a wide ravine that I called the "zoo" that was full of deer/moose every morning along the Heffley / Paul Lake ridge.

Up there one early spring - found multiple kill sites in the snow - the zoo was devote of life that fall.

LBM
11-05-2017, 08:43 PM
They will do that to escape predators, I have seen deer hang around working logging equipment while a cougar is circling around.

Depending on whats being logged the deer will congregate around logging shows at this time of year to eat off the freshly falling trees, standing right there waiting for them to fall.
there has been deer killed here by falling trees. Lots of people have figured this out as well and head there at the end of the day and weekends when there not falling to get a deer.

Bugle M In
11-05-2017, 09:58 PM

Yup, the deer would rather taken chances being close to the 2 legged preds then those 4 footed ones.
See that around Cache Creek the last several years now.
Last year wasn't so bad for wolf sign, but the years before they were all over the place, howling just 500 m away
from our camp for several mornings (I should have gone looking as the howling lasted for hours in one spot, but I was intent on finding deer, by the time I was getting close, the howling stopped)
Hard to know where they will be this time, but it wouldn't surprise me if they are close by again.
There only a few clicks from town at times, and there is no logging down low as of yet, and it's obvious the deer are avoiding the wolves up top (not enough snow to have brought them down, and lots of fresh logging up top).

BigfishCanada
11-06-2017, 08:33 AM
I have an area loaded with does and this year driving in it i saw at least 4 doe kills and wolf tracks everywhere. In my 14 years hunting this area we have always had wolves but this year the packs are large. Region 3-29

ElliotMoose
11-08-2017, 12:34 PM
Hey steep -

We bumped into a large pack (8-10) at nightfall up on the bonaparte plateau a couple weekends ago. Big, healthy dogs. Not sure if you're trying to focus on the other direction towards the Arm but PM me if you're interested in a more detailed description!

Cheers

steepNdeep
11-08-2017, 01:35 PM
Thanks boys! Unfortunately, it sounds all too familiar...

I will be up there in a couple of weeks with family & would be happy to try to help out. My freezer is full, but I'm bringing my predator calls & long range rig! If anyone knows the area &/or wants to get out - PM me.

I believe that we all have to do our part helping with predator management in any way that we can. Support wildlife associations, help out trappers with bait, etc. &/or spend some time out there ourselves focused on protecting our wildlife resource. Those that don't help in some fashion, have no right to complain about it.

I have called in a few dogs over the years - they are super sharp & a fun challenge! Calling them in is similar to hunting bugling elk in the rut. It's a good excuse to GET OUT THERE in mountains in the winter...

Bugle M In
11-08-2017, 05:47 PM
Thanks boys! Unfortunately, it sounds all too familiar...

I will be ~Salmon Arm in a couple of weeks with family & would be happy to try to help out. My freezer is full, but I'm bringing my predator calls & long range rig! If anyone knows the area &/or wants to get out - PM me.

I believe that we all have to do our part helping with predator management in any way that we can. Support wildlife associations, help out trappers with bait, etc. &/or spend some time out there ourselves focused on protecting our wildlife resource. Those that don't help in some fashion, have no right to complain about it.

I have called in a few dogs over the years - they are super sharp & a fun challenge! Calling them in is similar to hunting bugling elk in the rut. It's a good excuse to GET OUT THERE in mountains in the winter...

pm sent:wink:

thepitchedlink
11-08-2017, 09:28 PM
Yup, I'm gonna try this year a find them.....just need to get a half decent sled and them get out there!

steepNdeep
11-09-2017, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the intel boys! Please update with any sightings. I have a feeling this will be a scouting trip requiring ongoing effort... )

All over. Could be anywhere any day. They move many km a day. The deer are fine there's tons

Wolves movement is not random. They have defined ranges & laps around often take 1 - 2 weeks depending on the prey that they encounter. If you know their approximate territory, recent location & general direction they can be located (especially with snow on the ground)... Here is some interesting research on their home ranges: https://www.nps.gov/articles/aps-v5-i1-c8.htm

https://www.nps.gov/common/uploads/stories/images/nri/20150319/articles/FD0B0EAE-F948-F76C-525D6CAA9C821CF9/FD0B0EAE-F948-F76C-525D6CAA9C821CF9.jpg

At least 14 wolves have dispersed long distances away from Denali (Figure 7), and dozens more wolves dispersed shorter distances, within the study area or just outside of it. The longest documented dispersal was by a female wolf that left the Headquarters Pack and was shot by an Inupiat hunter near the Canning River, 40 miles from the Arctic Ocean and (in a straight line) 435 miles from Denali.

TyTy
11-11-2017, 12:18 PM
Boston bar is polluted with wolves. Both sides of the Fraser. Seems deer on the west side have taken a beating

Twice now i have screwed up on what would be considered an easy opportunity. Lessons learned

swampdonkey
11-13-2017, 03:30 PM
Seen tracks up near mile high resort last week . Looked to be 3 or 4 in 1 group walking down the road

lovemywinchester
11-13-2017, 04:37 PM
That's interesting in that map where it says its under 3 wolves per 1000 km sq. Doesn't seem so bad.

I was hunting north of Red Lake this weekend and saw lots of cat and dog tracks. I hiked the same loop two days in a row and there were wolf tracks in my boot tracks from the day before. Didn't see a deer in that area but there were a few tracks.

steepNdeep
11-13-2017, 06:26 PM
Thanks boys!

What elevation is the snow at right now??? Sun Peaks says they have ~2 feet up top.

That's interesting in that map where it says its under 3 wolves per 1000 km sq. Doesn't seem so bad.

I think that's because it's an average of the whole area & the wolves are concentrated in the valleys. If you look at the topography of that map, much of the area - high mountains is inhospitable. Lower than you'd think. It's big country in Alasaka...

Harvest the Land
11-13-2017, 07:18 PM
Definitely saw a few wolf tracks and even more coyote tracks where I was on the weekend, never seen so many predator tracks all over the place. Followed a large bear track for a while, pretty funny how they walk in the snow. Barely saw any deer or moose tracks. I was at around 1400 meters and there was about 1/2 foot of snow, and I could see snow down at the 1200 meter level for sure

steepNdeep
11-17-2017, 08:52 PM
Thanks for all the PMs boys! My research confirmed that wolves are literally everywhere up here. Official reports of wolves in town in people's yards in Salmon Arm & Sorrento. It seems they are thickest North of Kamloops - between Bonaparte Lake & Adams Lake. Sounds like around the Bonaparte plateau is getting pounded especially hard by the dogs. I stopped by the local hunting shop & they confirmed what I'd been hearing.

I Google-scouted a few areas & glassed one for a couple hours. Didn't cut any predator tracks. Deer have been moving a bit. Snow started just off the valley bottom & I made it up to ~1,000m to the the spot I wanted to glass. There was ~30cm of greasy snow & I went the farthest & was breaking trail. I've brought some chains, but I don't think that I'll be able to make it up to 1,500m to the plateaus up top. Sun Peaks says they have 90cm up top & it looks like more snow is on it's way all weekend. I'll giver a shot though...

Here's the steep, bucky looking canyon that burned a while ago. It was steeper & deeper than it looked it on a screen lol. The local that I spoke to confirmed my suspicions & said he shot a big buck not far from there & also missed a chance at a wolf below where I parked. I howled a bit before dark, but go no response. I'm heading north tomorrow am...

http://fluidstudios.ca/UP/canyon.jpg

HarryToolips
11-17-2017, 11:20 PM
Nice pic...have you ever actually howled them into shooting range? I can't wait to look for sign and do this on snowshoes this winter..

TyTy
11-17-2017, 11:32 PM
There is some country I have seen wolves travel through. The roads certainly help them cover ground effectively

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Wolf_Valley.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Wolf_Valley_Inset.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Christmas_Tree_Farm.jpg

curly_fishr
11-18-2017, 12:27 AM
We were hunting in 3-31 for the first two weeks of November and saw numerous wolf tracks in the bush and then saw a pack of five black wolves Run across a frozen lake just outside of 70 mile. Moose weren’t hanging round long in the bush if you spooked them up.

MichelD
11-18-2017, 10:54 AM
Saw tracks in 3-12

basscanada
11-18-2017, 10:56 AM
Saw 2 at first light on Coalmont road last weekend

Golddust
11-19-2017, 11:41 PM
Had a good sized one on a trail cam that came by just before midnight on nov. 6 in 3-28. Saw dog tacks all over the place today up in 3-18 where there is snow as well. they're everywhere

Bugle M In
11-20-2017, 11:00 AM
I saw sign of a few in 3-30, but I think the larger packs from the past several years moved....
probably due to the fire where I was....but, I don't travel all over, so they didn't move far.
Only a few tracks, no sightings, no howling this time around.

swampthing
11-20-2017, 06:29 PM
I just spent a week hunting off the end of the Bonaparte plateau. There was about 4" snow and wolves were heard in two different areas I hunted. Deer sightings were lower this year than past but it was quite warm.

steepNdeep
11-20-2017, 06:34 PM
Thanks boys. Keep 'em coming...

So the next morning, I get an early start headed north in the dark to continue my quest to find some wolves, so I can do my part in some CONSERVATION work ; ) ...

~25km's up FSRs, I got up into the lower elevation patchwork of ENDLESS cuts that I wanted to hunt. Got into the snow pretty quick. The main line was well worn in, but the spurs weren't & the snow got deep quick, so I chained up & headed up. Hit a dead end, hiked up onto a knob in a small cut, crossed a few deer & coyote tracks. I set up & called for a while... but no response.

http://fluidstudios.ca/UP/patch.jpg

Back to the truck & up the next spur. Hit a steeper, good looking cut with some medium size dog tracks at the bottom, so I parked, walked up the road & called a bit... no response.

Back to the truck, up the next spur on the other side of the valley & got to a viewpoint that I could see back where I came. Spotted a ~bobcat track, called down into some ~10 year old regen' & glassed across. I spotted a lone buck ~1,000m out, that just came out of the timber at the top of the cut where I just was. With no other action to this point, I decided there must be more deer ~there & went to get a closer look...

Turned around & drove back to the previous cut. Hiked up the timber on opposite side of the cut from the buck until I hit his last know elevation & then cut over towards him. I found a nice knob, set up & was just about to start rattling, when I hear something, so I lift my cap, cup my ears... The wind is blowing & it's faint, but it gets louder as others join in & it's unmistakeable sound of a wolf pack howling! YESSSSS!!! Finally. :twisted:

http://fluidstudios.ca/UP/wcut.jpg

Based on my experience chasing bugling bulls, although faint, I have a feeling they aren't that far down the other side of this hill. I debate about going back to the truck to get my pack, but decide I have enough & slog up to the top ~1km. The edge of the cut is LITTERED with deer tracks everwhere. No wonder they are hunting here...

tomahawk
11-20-2017, 08:15 PM
just got back from 3-29, more wolves then you can shake a stick at. Packs of 5 and more all over the area we hunted from 3700 ft to 5000 ft. One day we decided it was so bad so we moved for the day 13 km and fresh tracks everywhere. We found they travelled in the pack and when cutting a doe in heat set of tracks 2 would follow her scent. Found this several times and high and low. Can only assume its part of their strategy to find her.

HarryToolips
11-20-2017, 08:50 PM
^^^so has anyone ever had success hunting wolves using doe in heat scent??

steepNdeep
11-21-2017, 08:39 AM
just got back from 3-29, more wolves then you can shake a stick at. Packs of 5 and more all over the area we hunted from 3700 ft to 5000 ft. One day we decided it was so bad so we moved for the day 13 km and fresh tracks everywhere. We found they travelled in the pack and when cutting a doe in heat set of tracks 2 would follow her scent. Found this several times and high and low. Can only assume its part of their strategy to find her.

Crazy up there, eh! :mad: Did you see or try to call any?

^^^so has anyone ever had success hunting wolves using doe in heat scent??

Harry, I've never heard of anyone, but i'm sure it could work, if it was good quality. Some drag beaver castor scent around...

(continued)... At the top, it leveled out & thick ~10 year old regen. bush sloped down gently into rolling forested hills interspersed with cuts. I set up on the edge & this is what happened - turn VOLUME UP & listen: https://youtu.be/-TtVQNPU7vw

Whoah! When they lit up, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. I didn't expect them to be so close & so many... Wind was coming from my side & I was ~10m from the thick & didn't want them winding me or popping out that close, so I backed up to a knob where I could see all entrances into the cut & set up in sniper mode.

http://fluidstudios.ca/UP/sniper.jpg

Calling from there, they lit up again & eventually got another pack across the valley (above where I saw the bobcat track going) & another pack further away. I was in the middle as the 3 packs howled in the wind on & off for the next 20 minutes, but it sounded like they had a fresh kill (excited) & wouldn't leave it. Then the wind shifted to my back & they went ~silent shortly thereafter. I tried to flank them, but no-go... Definitely one of the coolest calling sessions with any animal that I've had!

It was rewarding that I found them in new country & got them going on my first attempt chasing wolves. I wish I had more time, but I will be back & I will finish what I started. Thanks for the info. boys! They are literally EVERYWHERE up there - I felt sorry for that buck. Get out there & hunt them...

Based on the number of deer there, I don't think they'll go too far. If you know of any experienced predator hunters in the area, PM me.

PKernohan
11-21-2017, 08:53 AM
Wow, sounded like a huge pack. That would have been intense.

Dash
11-21-2017, 02:15 PM
Wow that sounded crazy!

tomahawk
11-21-2017, 02:34 PM
[QUOTE=steepNdeep;1954661]Crazy up there, eh! :mad: Did you see or try to call any?

We only had 6 days total and that included travel from the Island and back. Ferry broke down on the way up and we didn't get to Vanc till 7 hrs afterwards and Kamloops in the dark so had to take a motel and set up tent day 2. Days 2 and 3 the wind was wicked and you had to stand behind something or with feet planted or it would knock you to the snow at 5000 ft. Day 4 is when the wolves showed up, woke us up in the night, by daybreak they had been through a huge area and as I said only followed the hot does tracks. Didn't want to create wolf havoc more then they had done by calling as it was second to last day for a 4 point for us. Dropped 1300 ft and went 13 km and there was fresh tracks that morning in the new snow. one pack only though. crazy how many were in our area alone!! I have called em with success but we agreed to only kill one if we seen them. One track was almost 5 inches wide and 6 long, never seen one that large and ive seen lots.

Sirloin
11-21-2017, 02:44 PM
Hey SteepNDeep, me again.

While you're out doing your conservation work make sure you don't kill the lead female lead male breeding pair. If you do though make sure you kill a majority of the whole pack in one go. Otherwise you'll end up just fragmenting a pack and creating several new breeding pairs, causing an uptick in the wolf population. When in a social pack wolves breeding mechanisms are supressed, when the lead breeding pair is killed more and younger wolves start breeding.

Unfortunately those are the study findings. I'd like to hear these are bunk interpretations.
Good luck, waste them all.

kelowna.jordan
11-21-2017, 03:58 PM
steepNdeep, I'd be down for joining you sometime. PM me if/when you plan on going again

DeepJeep
11-21-2017, 04:29 PM
crazy howling... definitely an experience..
Good on you to hunt them.

LBM
11-21-2017, 08:44 PM
Steepndeep listened to your video have a few thoughts/ideas that may have helped if your in a situation like that again if interested send me a message.

skibum
11-22-2017, 10:25 AM
Wolf tracks and blood trail around Turtle Corner (Lac Du Bois) - the tracks were fresh from Friday night. That is what, 15 - 20 minutes away from Town?

We followed the tracks for a while, neat to see how they work (circle) a deer and how the deer uses the trees. Didn't find the exact kill site, but a couple fresh vertebra (small deer) in an opening in the trees -- that seemed to gathering area for the wolves by all the circling tracks.

We heard them in the morning a hill or two over, so they had pulled back come sun up.

Sundown
11-22-2017, 01:56 PM
Wolf tracks and blood trail around Turtle Corner (Lac Du Bois) - the tracks were fresh from Friday night. That is what, 15 - 20 minutes away from Town?

We followed the tracks for a while, neat to see how they work (circle) a deer and how the deer uses the trees. Didn't find the exact kill site, but a couple fresh vertebra (small deer) in an opening in the trees -- that seemed to gathering area for the wolves by all the circling tracks.

We heard them in the morning a hill or two over, so they had pulled back come sun up.

Yeah theyve been getting bad in that area the last two years. I know of a couple different guys takimg wolves out of that area in recent years.

bc8x8
11-22-2017, 02:32 PM
Just over the hill from Turtle Corner and just above the N Thompson river is Inskip ranch. They have been loosing cattle to the wolves for the past two years.

skibum
11-22-2017, 03:17 PM
We were wondering about the cattle, they were fenced only about 1/2 a km down.

In the general area, I had called in a couple bucks in years past. Didn't bother Saturday.

We did run into multiple does, but that was way up in the steep, steep rocky crap after a couple hour hike. They were not skittish at all. No deer down low, obviously.

steepNdeep
11-22-2017, 05:24 PM
crazy how many were in our area alone!! One track was almost 5 inches wide and 6 long, never seen one that large and ive seen lots. We agreed to only shoot them if we see them.

I hear you tomahawk. Sadly, Reg. 3 is infested. The only time that I saw wolves rifle hunting was opening day of elk & we were focussed on getting some meat. I saw a big black (too fast to get a bead on) driving into camp at 5k feet & my partners saw 2 in camp the day before. We got nothing but howls to respond to our bugles. Trapper got 25 in the valley that winter & said there were just as many left with more coming... Barely any elk tracks the next year. I gave up on that area.

If the same thing were to happen now, I would immediately switch to hunting wolves, before I left the area. With education, hopefully more guys will be prepared to do this, when it happens to them...

steepNdeep, I'd be down for joining you sometime. PM me if/when you plan on going again

Sure, but you have them in your back yard. Get some local boys together & get out there. Yotes are good practice... Youtube it ;

Steepndeep listened to your video have a few thoughts/ideas that may have helped if your in a situation like that again if interested send me a message.

Thanks for the ideas LBM!

Do wolves mark their territory? I saw this at the bottom of the cut, but it was by tire tracks & I thought it might have been a domestic. You can see the yotes had added to it, also...

http://fluidstudios.ca/UP/wpee.jpg

Wolf tracks and blood trail... We followed the tracks for a while, neat to see how they work (circle) a deer and how the deer uses the trees. Didn't find the exact kill site, but a couple fresh vertebra (small deer) in an opening in the trees -- that seemed to gathering area for the wolves by all the circling tracks.

Nice. Fresh snow is a hunters dream. I've learned a ton following predator & big buck tracks in the snow & do every chance I get!..

kagia
11-22-2017, 08:51 PM
I dont hunt much but spend a fair bit of time in the bush fishing, camping, and exploring. Shoot the odd grouse once in a while but that's it so far. I've seen wolf sign a few times and would like to do my part if I ever see one.

What do I do with it once I shoot it though? Never skinned or gutted anything before. I guess I wouldn't mind maybe having a mount or hide of some kind, but I'm guessing it ain't cheap.

tipper
11-22-2017, 09:34 PM

Hell I saw one going like hell crossing the road at padova city. Not as far out in the bush sometimes as most would think.

HarryToolips
11-22-2017, 10:22 PM
I dont hunt much but spend a fair bit of time in the bush fishing, camping, and exploring. Shoot the odd grouse once in a while but that's it so far. I've seen wolf sign a few times and would like to do my part if I ever see one.

What do I do with it once I shoot it though? Never skinned or gutted anything before. I guess I wouldn't mind maybe having a mount or hide of some kind, but I'm guessing it ain't cheap.
You tube is your friend...if you have a good knife, and the carcass is still warm skinning is a lot easier..

skibum
11-23-2017, 10:07 AM

This is one of the best skinning videos I have seen, put out by the Yukon Gov. It is a bear but basically the same on a wolf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-7UyZA24pg

I had no experience and skinned out a wolf solo - did what I think was a pretty good job. Was not hard at all (I thought it would be before I did it once) Stopped by the local feed supply store on the way back in and picked up a bag of salt, they knew what I was after.

steepNdeep
11-23-2017, 12:02 PM
Just over the hill from Turtle Corner and just above the N Thompson river is Inskip ranch. They have been losing cattle to the wolves for the past two years.

We were wondering about the cattle, they were fenced only about 1/2 a km down.

Wolves wreak havoc on livestock.

To give you an idea, their tiny cousins, coyotes (a large coyote is 40 lbs) have a huge impact on livestock:
- In the US, coyotes kill ~200,000 cattle, sheep, etc./ year, which costs $100+ Million annually!
- Here are the coyote killed sheep stat's: https://www.sheepusa.org/NewsMedia_WeeklyNewsletter_2015_October_October920 15_PredatorAndNonpredatorDeathLossReportPublished

Wolves are much bigger, stronger (a large wolf is 150 lbs) & more efficient predators. They are just getting started, again..

Here's an interesting article on wolves effect on cattle in NE Washington - across the border from the W. Kootenays. They are working their way north & west from their reintroduction in Idaho. This little corner (~30 x 30 miles) holds the majority of WA wolves & they are already killing ~100 cattle per year (imagine how many deer). Wolves are still protected as endangered species in WA & the pro-wolf group want another 10 year ban on hunting them... https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/states-wolf-kill-turns-up-the-heat-in-washington-cattle-country/

That first wolf that I ever saw ~15 years ago, was where that Salmo pack is on this map:

https://static.seattletimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/WEB-wolf-country-map2.jpg

Wolf populations must be managed, like any other predator, as part of wildlife conservation.

TyTy
11-25-2017, 01:16 AM
Hey SteepNDeep, me again.

While you're out doing your conservation work make sure you don't kill the lead female lead male breeding pair. If you do though make sure you kill a majority of the whole pack in one go. Otherwise you'll end up just fragmenting a pack and creating several new breeding pairs, causing an uptick in the wolf population. When in a social pack wolves breeding mechanisms are supressed, when the lead breeding pair is killed more and younger wolves start breeding.

Unfortunately those are the study findings. I'd like to hear these are bunk interpretations.
Good luck, waste them all.

How does one specifically achieve this when actually behind the trigger, given an opportunity to hunt - even have a shot at a wolf?

If we could hunt under 'studies findings', we would have much more opportunity at improving localized ungulate populations, despite habitat loss.

ve7iuq
11-25-2017, 11:12 AM
Hey steep -

We bumped into a large pack (8-10) at nightfall up on the bonaparte plateau a couple weekends ago. Big, healthy dogs. Not sure if you're trying to focus on the other direction towards the Arm but PM me if you're interested in a more detailed description!

Cheers

Seven or eight wolves is the standard, family sized wolf pack. Up to nine, but almost never ten, in a family pack. Twice this amount, like about fifteen, is two family packs, hunting together for greater efficiency.

Bugle M In
11-25-2017, 03:01 PM
Seven or eight wolves is the standard, family sized wolf pack. Up to nine, but almost never ten, in a family pack. Twice this amount, like about fifteen, is two family packs, hunting together for greater efficiency.

I had a pack of "18" heading down the river bottom....single file!!....18 of them.
Big packs do exist....and in such a tight "corridor/watershed"...nothing escapes.
The drivers in the area have told me, and several of them, not just one driver...
they could see a deer, mostly whitetail, trying to flee, in deep snow, with huge packs on its tail.
Multiple times they would see that.....these dogs hunt...24/7.

steepNdeep
12-11-2017, 11:40 PM
I just read something interesting & SCARY:

According to Western Wildlife Outreach, an adult grey wolf eats an average of 5 to 14 pounds of meat per day. (To use round #s say average 10)

1 wolf eats 10 lb/day x 365 = 3,650 lbs/year
3,650 / 100 lbs meat/deer = 36.5 deer/year

An average pack has 6 wolves & therefore eats:
6 x 36 deer = 196 deer/year/pack

Even at half that - 5 lbs/day = ~100 deer/year/pack :shock: :shock:

How many packs are just around Kamloops???

What sucks about wolves is that (unlike cats) wolves rarely kill the animal before they start eating it - alive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRuxCMhvl84

swampthing
12-12-2017, 06:23 PM
Those two wolves wouldn't have done that if I was there!! I would have have run them pricks off before I would sit n watch that!! And as for Kamloops I am sure there is hundreds of wolves around there.

steepNdeep
12-14-2017, 10:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bgHYxQw74Y

RackStar
12-14-2017, 10:53 AM
Man that’s a shitty way to go.
I saw a big lone wolf on Sunday night when out for a cruise just north of PG In the wright creek field.
Time to go doggy hunting over Xmas break.

RackStar
12-14-2017, 10:57 AM
As for reg 3 closer to kammy I heard a pack one night up haybrook fsr. Sounded like a pack of 5

VFX_man
12-14-2017, 05:14 PM
51.098287, -120.148403

3km up --- was chuck full of wolf prints chasing bunnies last weekend. Please don't pass this on or they might be eliminated. ;)

steepNdeep
12-17-2017, 09:16 PM
While you're out doing your conservation work make sure you don't kill the lead female lead male breeding pair. If you do though make sure you kill a majority of the whole pack in one go. Otherwise you'll end up just fragmenting a pack and creating several new breeding pairs, causing an uptick in the wolf population.

I'd like to hear these are bunk interpretations.

WRONG - according to one of the longest running (30 years) wolf studies. After the death of a breeder packs remain intact 67% of the time & there were no significant effects on populations.

IMPACTS OF BREEDER LOSS ON SOCIAL STRUCTURE, REPRODUCTION & POPULATION GROWTH IN WOLVES

Read full paper HERE (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1365-2656.12256/abstract)

From 1986 to 2012, 387 individual wolves were radio-collared from 70 packs were monitored in Denali NP, Alaska.

Pack Fate and Breeder Loss: Using 94 cases of breeder loss for our analysis, we found that packs dissolved the season following breeder loss in 31 cases (33%) and remained intact following breeder loss in 63 cases (67%).

There are many factors affecting results. Packs were more likely to dissolve if a female or both breeders were lost and pack size was small. Harvest of breeders increased the probability of pack dissolution, likely because the timing of harvest coincided with the breeding season of wolves.

Population Effects: Packs that lost breeders exhibited lower denning and recruitment rates. Breeder mortality and pack dissolution had no significant effects on immediate or longer term population dynamics.

SO, IT DOESN'T MATTER IF IT'S A BREEDER/ALPHA wolf...

Now, what's the next excuse for not helping?

HarryToolips
12-17-2017, 09:25 PM
^^^^now, if a pack dissolved into smaller packs after an alpha was killed or for whatever reason, wouldn't ya think that the smaller packs would then become less efficient in killing?? Could this then possibly result in an even greater die-off??

Weatherby Fan
12-17-2017, 09:25 PM
Just kill em all............

Whonnock Boy
12-17-2017, 09:28 PM
I just remembered about our discussions last month now. How did your trip go in regards to deer populations in, and around the burn? How was it for wolf sign?

Just kill em all............

Stone Sheep Steve
12-18-2017, 06:02 AM
^^^^now, if a pack dissolved into smaller packs after an alpha was killed or for whatever reason, wouldn't ya think that the smaller packs would then become less efficient in killing?? Could this then possibly result in an even greater die-off??

I always wondered about this. I guess it may depend on the pack size to start with?

If they eat eat less they may have a lower reproductive rate then well fed wolves.

steepNdeep
12-26-2017, 01:13 PM

I always wondered about this. I guess it may depend on the pack size to start with? If they eat eat less they may have a lower reproductive rate then well fed wolves.

I agree. It makes sense that with the loss of a strong leader, the weaker the remaining wolves would be less efficient in killing & breeding. It's good to know that the big ones can be removed with the proper results.

I read that wolves diet averages from 5 - 14 lbs of meat per day & the minimum intake for breeding was ~7 lbs of meat per day.

Jagermeister
12-26-2017, 02:41 PM
I agree. It makes sense that with the loss of a strong leader, the weaker the remaining wolves would be less efficient in killing & breeding. It's good to know that the big ones can be removed with the proper results.

I read that wolves diet averages from 5 - 14 lbs of meat per day & the minimum intake for breeding was ~7 lbs of meat per day.
BearValley disagrees with this. He and others contend that only the alpha animals breed and even if the others do, their offspring are killed by the alpha. Elimination of the alphas allow the other pack members to fragment and form new packs. So in the case where one poster viewed 18 wolves, and the pack was evenly divided between male and female, then there was a probability of 9 new packs forming. This might explain why SteepNDeep was in between 3 distinctive packs.
And sometimes wolves don't kill out of necessity. Years back I was talking to a grader operator that ploughed road toward Nyland Lake east of Quesnel. He had stopped for lunch when this buck busted out of the brush with a wolf hanging on to the rear end and several others running parallel. The buck kept circling the area and as one wolf would drop off another would latch on. This was all the while the grader was idling. Unfortunately the grader operator did not have a gun with him. Once the wolves tired of their game, they departed, the deer still alive but immobile. He dispatched the deer with an axe. His opinion was that it was just a fun kill for them as they never returned to the carcass as near as he could determine and the only critters partaking were the ravens and a couple of coyotes.

OceanMon
12-26-2017, 02:51 PM
I'm looking to take my wife and kid camping this weekend. Would be nice to get a wolf too. Anybody have any recommended locations in terms of landscape beauty and wolf abundance?

Also, to confirm, I just need my regular hunting license to get wolves, correct?

Thanks!

Rupert Retired
12-26-2017, 03:21 PM
If I had a choice out of a pack, then I would shoot the biggest. The BC Record Book does recognize wolves, unlike the Boone and Crockett book, and so it adds fun to be able to have a scroll to frame and put on the wall next to its skull and hide. In my hunting career, I have killed 10 wolves. I have one in the BC record book (a bitch, which is rare, but shows how big they grow up north, that one was near Atlin). The most fun I had was shooting 3 out of the same pack, unfortunately I missed the biggest (twice! a kneeling shot, which I have always had a problem with). And in addition to my 10 wolf kills, I have missed more and flubbed the opportunity to even shoot on more! But they are a ton of fun to hunt, I consider them the smartest animals in the bush by far. You'll have a hard time outsmarting them in their territory, but if you're lucky you can get the drop on them by ambush over bait, or just looking where you know they are hanging out. I have recently moved to Region 3 (From Prince Rupert) and so I intend to try for one in the coming year near here, should be fun. If I am successful, I will post something!

KingB
12-26-2017, 03:43 PM
I'm looking to take my wife and kid camping this weekend. Would be nice to get a wolf too. Anybody have any recommended locations in terms of landscape beauty and wolf abundance?

Also, to confirm, I just need my regular hunting license to get wolves, correct?

Thanks!

North end of Adams Lake. Yep just hunting license.

OceanMon
12-26-2017, 09:41 PM
North end of Adams Lake. Yep just hunting license.

Thanks for the tip! Cant wait for wood pepperoni sticks!

HarryToolips
12-26-2017, 10:35 PM
If I had a choice out of a pack, then I would shoot the biggest. The BC Record Book does recognize wolves, unlike the Boone and Crockett book, and so it adds fun to be able to have a scroll to frame and put on the wall next to its skull and hide. In my hunting career, I have killed 10 wolves. I have one in the BC record book (a bitch, which is rare, but shows how big they grow up north, that one was near Atlin). The most fun I had was shooting 3 out of the same pack, unfortunately I missed the biggest (twice! a kneeling shot, which I have always had a problem with). And in addition to my 10 wolf kills, I have missed more and flubbed the opportunity to even shoot on more! But they are a ton of fun to hunt, I consider them the smartest animals in the bush by far. You'll have a hard time outsmarting them in their territory, but if you're lucky you can get the drop on them by ambush over bait, or just looking where you know they are hanging out. I have recently moved to Region 3 (From Prince Rupert) and so I intend to try for one in the coming year near here, should be fun. If I am successful, I will post something!
Impressive, did you harvest the majority by baiting?? Finding fresh sign and howling??

steepNdeep
12-27-2017, 07:43 PM
And in addition to my 10 wolf kills,

You have saved a lot of deer & moose!

BearValley disagrees with this. He and others contend that only the alpha animals breed and even if the others do, their offspring are killed by the alpha. Elimination of the alphas allow the other pack members to fragment and form new packs. So in the case where one poster viewed 18 wolves, and the pack was evenly divided between male and female, then there was a probability of 9 new packs forming. This might explain why SteepNDeep was in between 3 distinctive packs.

According to this 30 year study, packs only fragment 25% of the time when an alpha is killed & it does not increase their population long-term. Read here: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?140747-Wolves-around-Region-3&p=1963153#post1963153

Cant wait for wood pepperoni sticks!

OceanMon - You have made a few comments about eating wolf meat. Do you understand that predator control is an essential component of science-based wildlife management and it has nothing to do with eating their meat?

steepNdeep
12-27-2017, 07:51 PM
Here is a good ongoing study that shows that the effects of predators, particularly wolves...

“Determining Factors Affecting Moose Population Change in British Columbia: Testing the Landscape Change Hypothesis.” READ FULL REPORT HERE (http://www.llbc.leg.bc.ca/public/pubdocs/bcdocs2016_2/603453/factors_affecting_moose_population_in_bc.pdf)

BCWF Summary Presentation HERE ( http://www.bcwf.net/files/2016%20AGM/2016%20AGM%20Presentations/Gerry_Kuzyk_FLNRO_-_Update_on_Provincial_Moose_Research_Project_in_Ce ntral_BC.pdf)

With a 50–70% decline in some moose populations within the last decade, a 5-year (2013-2018) provincially-coordinated moose research project was initiated to determine moose population change in relation to mountain pine beetle (MPB) and salvage logging. '

Researchers had put GPS radio-collars on 336 cow (or female) moose in five areas of central B.C. as part of a study begun in 2012,

Researchers recovered 49 of the collars from moose that had died & determined that predators killed 21 or 45%:
• cougars killed 2 and a bear killed 1
• wolves killed 18 or 86%

>>> I'd like to see these same stat's for deer in this area (before it's too late)!

http://fluidstudios.ca/UP/moose.jpg

Gateholio
12-27-2017, 08:34 PM
Some wolves were howling across the valley from me as I was getting in my truck to go to head out this morning. They always seem to come around and howl during a cold snap. They were pretty close to a little hobby farm, hopefully they hadn't killed one of his animals.

OceanMon
12-27-2017, 10:30 PM
OceanMon - You have made a few comments about eating wolf meat. Do you understand that predator control is an essential component of science-based wildlife management and it has nothing to do with eating their meat?

Yes, I do. Thanks.

Outcast
12-27-2017, 11:05 PM
I'm seriously looking at heading up into region three from the island to do some wolf hunting. Just need to learn the area a little better. Is the area around Bonoparte Lake open for hunting. Looks like a good place to start.

280 77
12-28-2017, 05:14 AM
Yes it is , there are wolves all over the north side of Kamloops . You won't have to go too far up.
I'm seriously looking at heading up into region three from the island to do some wolf hunting. Just need to learn the area a little better. Is the area around Bonoparte Lake open for hunting. Looks like a good place to start.

Bugle M In
12-28-2017, 02:27 PM
Yup, north side of Kamloops, anywhere from north of cache creek and east above the north side of Kamloops lake.
shouldn't be hard to hit some tracks along there, and they seemed to be expanding the last 5 years or so now.
good luck!

steepNdeep
12-28-2017, 03:16 PM
Based on what I saw, every drainage should have tracks in it. The main thing is to find fresh tracks with decent road access. There is 3+ feet of snow up top in some areas. Talk to locals about fsr conditions...

Bugle M In
12-28-2017, 03:58 PM
Based on what I saw, every drainage should have tracks in it. The main thing is to find fresh tracks with decent road access. There is 3+ feet of snow up top in some areas. Talk to locals about fsr conditions...

So true, I can only imagine some areas right now are to deep to travel.
However, if the snow is that deep, then all the game has probably dropped to lower elevations....below 1000m's.
If so, then the wolves will be there too.....just look at hitting the roads that travel from the highways etc at low elevation up towards the main plateau.
Too bad that the snow shows up so late now...it used to be that the snow levels could reach 3+ feet during November
when deer hunting was still open, which would create some great hunting/sighting opportunities back then.
Now days, that never happens till way after the season closes, and probably is a factor why people don't see the deer #'s the way the once did....they are just too spread out still in November.
Anyways, chains and telling friends where you plan on going is always a good idea right now for sure.

twoSevenO
12-28-2017, 04:32 PM
Anyone hunt the triangle between Anderson Lk, Seton Lk and Duffey Lk this fall?
Was talking to a member on here last night and apparently the wolves are pretty thick in there?

Curious if anyone hunts this part of reg 3 in the later season this year that has a wolf report?

Rupert Retired
12-28-2017, 07:57 PM
HarryToolips - "
Impressive, did you harvest the majority by baiting?? Finding fresh sign and howling?? "

I have tried baiting, but although I have had close calls, have not shot one yet over a bait that I put in place. When I shot up that pack, shooting 3 and missing the big one, was because I knew where the highways contractor was disposing of the road killed moose, and so I went and checked, frequently. A real fresh moose carcass was deposited in this place, and so I saw it in the AM, went home and then went back at about 3PM, thinking I would wait until dark, which was about 2 - 3 hours, it being January. When I was walking into where I was going to sit, I saw a wolf sitting keeping watch over the sight, while all his buddies were feeding on the moose. I got on my belly, and snuck up sideways away from the brushes that were between us, and when I saw one walk across the road I let him have it. The rest took off, including the one I had just shot, so I waited a bit, then started tracking it, fresh snow so no problem there. Anyway, it circled way around, like 2 km or so, and then started heading back to his buds.
So he circled around back to an old road that was unserviceable, and it was getting dark, and so I figured I would head back to the truck, and pick up the trail in the morning.

Rupert Retired
12-28-2017, 08:01 PM
So, I was heading back to the truck, and there was a frozen pond or small lake to my right, and I looked out, and sure enough, there was a big wolf standing in the middle of the frozen pond, looking at me!

I couldn't get prone, because I couldn't see him then, so I tried a kneeling shot. Bad choice! Hindsight being 20 / 20, I should have ran forward to the edge of the pond, flopped down prone, and shot the damn thing! Anyway, I didn't, and proceeded to miss him twice!

Rupert Retired
12-28-2017, 08:09 PM
Then I had to reload, and did so, and meanwhile, the whole pack streamed onto the pond, following the big male who was running away, obviously!

So then I ran up to the edge of the pond, and was able go get prone, and had a choice of two nice wolves running beside each other, one black and one tawny colored.

I wanted the tawny colored one, and so I shot it, and it went about 15 yards or so and piled up.

By then, most of the wolves had left the scene, but I saw one black one across the lake (or pond) sneaking through the timber, and so I lined up and flattened that one! Luckily I hit him, because that was my last bullet that I had with me!

Rupert Retired
12-28-2017, 08:18 PM
So I had three wolves from that hunt. I got the skins tanned and have them hanging in my room (man cave). So that is the story of 3 of my 10 wolves! Hope you liked the story!

Outcast
12-28-2017, 08:38 PM
Yes it is , there are wolves all over the north side of Kamloops . You won't have to go too far up.

Perfect thanks. Time to go exploring.

browningboy
12-29-2017, 09:14 PM
Up at loon lake and dumping snow so access is limited, try again tomorrow

sausage lover
01-01-2018, 03:34 PM
Lots of snow in K town now! Just what the wolves like,can't wait to get out and hunt them. Have heard them howling in the hills behind pinatan lake