PDA

View Full Version : Is Hay considered baiting deer

BigfishCanada
11-02-2017, 09:25 AM
Question, buddy found a tree blind with fresh hay all around his shooting zone and trail cams showing the fresh hay. Is this considered baiting? I assume whether its an apple or fresh hay its still baiting? EDIT: As long as its not Bear your allowed, thank you to the wonderful people of this site clarifying ;)

BBait

- means anything, including meat, cereals,
cultivated crops, restrained animal or any
manufactured product or material, that may
attract wildlife and includes plastic or other imitation foods, but does not include a decoy as

described under these regulations.

deltawaterfowler
11-02-2017, 09:33 AM
I would think so. It's not like the hay showed up there naturally, it was physically placed there by the hunter. Call it in IMHO.

hunter fisher
11-02-2017, 09:36 AM
baiting deer is 100% legal

Keta1969
11-02-2017, 09:37 AM
Are you talking bears or deer? Can't bait bear but nothing in the regs saying it,s not allowed for deer.

TexasWalker
11-02-2017, 09:37 AM
Call him in for what??
Sounds like you need to read the regs and learn them.

BigfishCanada
11-02-2017, 09:38 AM
Thats why i asked, i assume its for deer and wasnt sure if it was allowed. Thanks for clarifying

russm
11-02-2017, 09:40 AM
Ive thought about doing the same, a couple bails of hay and some apples where I normally hunt would probably work wonders and there's nothing illegal about it, just don't shoot a bear if it comes around.

todbartell
11-02-2017, 09:43 AM
baiting (except for bear) is 100% legal as mentioned

Darksith
11-02-2017, 10:49 AM
Question, buddy found a tree blind with fresh hay all around his shooting zone and trail cams showing the fresh hay. Is this considered baiting? I assume whether its an apple or fresh hay its still baiting? Right or wrong? Would you call him in?

BBait

- means anything, including meat, cereals,
cultivated crops, restrained animal or any
manufactured product or material, that may
attract wildlife and includes plastic or other imitation foods, but does not include a decoy as

described under these regulations.

I would think so. It's not like the hay showed up there naturally, it was physically placed there by the hunter. Call it in IMHO.

Simply amazing that this conversation is still happening. No offense, but if you are aware enough to locate the baiting clause in the regs, you would also notice that it is legal to bait ungulates. This comes up more frequently than "how should the LEH system be changed for the better"

Ourea
11-02-2017, 10:57 AM
I'm speechless.

lovemywinchester
11-02-2017, 11:00 AM
I'm speechless.

There's a first time for everything

lip_ripper00
11-02-2017, 11:22 AM
and enjoying it....

Ourea
11-02-2017, 11:48 AM
and enjoying it....

Would you prefer I leave this site!?

SeaScene
11-02-2017, 11:52 AM

Never. Your skin just got a bit thicker which means vastly more fun here for you. Keep your comments coming.

deltawaterfowler
11-02-2017, 12:08 PM
OK my apologies... in the regulations it says on Page 14 under the It's Unlawful to section:

18. To intentionally feed or attempt to feed
dangerous wildlife (cougar, coyote, wolf
and bear), except when lawfully engaged in
hunting or trapping where baiting is authorized
(cougar, coyote and wolf only).

19. To hunt bears by placing bait or by using a
dead animal or using part of it as bait.

My coffee hadn't kicked in when I responded... I was thinking of predator species, not prey. Although to be fair, I can't for the life of me find where it says I am allowed to use bait for ungulates... but if I remember correctly it's one of those things that if it doesn't mention it, it's allowed.

Elkaholic
11-02-2017, 12:18 PM

Don't even think of doing it. Don't let one bad apple ruin it for the rest of us!

BigfishCanada
11-02-2017, 12:20 PM
hey all i did was ask a question, sorry guys, i dont use bait for deer so no biggie lol, all good,

Mulehahn
11-02-2017, 12:27 PM
I am more interested in if the hay worked? Apples do, but hay? Most areas are still somewhat green.

As for the comments, big fish asked a question. Nothing more. Don't like click "go back". Why all the negativity and hate?

Ourea
11-02-2017, 12:38 PM
I am more interested in if the hay worked? Apples do, but hay? Most areas are still somewhat green.

As for the comments, big fish asked a question. Nothing more. Don't like click "go back". Why all the negativity and hate?

Hay is not a key attractant until the snow flies once other food sources are deminished.
Think calories.
Think protein.

deltawaterfowler
11-02-2017, 12:39 PM
It was a fair question.

I feel like I need a PHD to interpret the regulations sometimes too... and besides, I'd much rather ask a dumb question and get my facts straight rather than not ask and end up doing something that is dumb and/or illegal.

Ourea
11-02-2017, 12:45 PM
It was a fair question.

I feel like I need a PHD to interpret the regulations sometimes too... and besides, I'd much rather ask a dumb question and get my facts straight rather than not ask and end up doing something that is dumb and/or illegal.

No such thing as a dumb question.

Ourea
11-02-2017, 12:53 PM
Never. Your skin just got a bit thicker which means vastly more fun here for you. Keep your comments coming.

Suffice it to say I have very thick skin.

Bugle M In
11-02-2017, 01:02 PM
Suffice it to say I have very thick skin.

not sure if the guys were being serious or taking a poke at you???
sure hope it was the later....

skibum
11-02-2017, 01:17 PM
Another stupid question - anybody actually see a mule deer eat hay? (not a whitie)

I never have - and assume those pictures from the prairies of late winter deer feeding are all white tail?

Ourea
11-02-2017, 01:27 PM
Another stupid question - anybody actually see a mule deer eat hay? (not a whitie)

I never have - and assume those pictures from the prairies of late winter deer feeding are all white tail?

Attractants for MD and elk post summer, in the back country, is ineffective from my experience.
They hit the salt during the summer but food attractants post summer.....low results.

Agriculter areas are a different story.
Can't correlate the two.

bighornbob
11-02-2017, 01:31 PM
Although to be fair, I can't for the life of me find where it says I am allowed to use bait for ungulates... but if I remember correctly it's one of those things that if it doesn't mention it, it's allowed.

If they had to write down everything that was legal you would need an 18 wheeler to carry it with you. thats why the above rules are in the "Unlawfull Section"

BHB

Linksman313
11-02-2017, 01:40 PM
It is not bait - - - it's placed there so if hunter falls out of treestand and bump head, will not hurt as much

Or so the Buck has a comfy bed for the night
:roll:

Ourea
11-02-2017, 01:44 PM
It is not bait - - - it's placed there so if hunter falls out of treestand and bump head, will not hurt as much

Or so the Buck has a comfy bed for the night
:roll:

Baiting for deer is legal.
Many are doing it, including CO's I know that hunt.

IronNoggin
11-02-2017, 02:04 PM
Hay is not a key attractant until the snow flies once other food sources are diminished.
Think calories.
Think protein.

Think COB!!! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

Ourea
11-02-2017, 02:10 PM
Think COB!!! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

sweetened rolled oats is money as well

Sitkaspruce
11-02-2017, 05:44 PM

I get lots of Muleys on bait: barley, oats and alfalfa are all baits of choice. Would post, but Phucketbucket is a PITA and I don't have time to download and add to the other sites right now.

Attractants for MD and elk post summer, in the back country, is ineffective from my experience.
They hit the salt during the summer but food attractants post summer.....low results.

Agriculter areas are a different story.
Can't correlate the two.

And as Ourea pointed out, I am on the fringe of the ag zone. I don't hunt them as I much prefer a WT for table fair and only need one deer a year. But mule deer do hit the bait through the fall/winter.

Cheers'

SS

Mulehahn
11-02-2017, 06:34 PM
Hay is not a key attractant until the snow flies once other food sources are deminished.
Think calories.
Think protein.

Thanks Ourea. Until the storm today there seemed to be lots of easily accessible feed. Now I know.

REMINGTON JIM
11-02-2017, 07:38 PM
baiting (except for bear) is 100% legal as mentioned

Baiting BEARS should be LEGAL- then a LOT more of those predators would be SHOT ! I HATE bears ! they chased me when i was a KID so i have a Hate ON for them ! Kill them all ! :smile: lol jmo RJ

HappyJack
11-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Baiting BEARS should be LEGAL- then a LOT more of those predators would be SHOT ! I HATE bears ! they chased me when i was a KID so i have a Hate ON for them ! Kill them all ! :smile: lol jmo RJ

I'm with you there!! Especially if your seeing more bears than moose while out hunting, that means there are too many of them!!

mastercaster
11-02-2017, 08:15 PM

It's strange why BC hunting regs would be different from Alberta where it's legal to bait bears. Not sure if you can bait deer there, though. The strangest law in Alberta, I think, is the one that disallows the use of a dog to locate a dead deer that you can't find. Sure seems like a waste if the deer was never found,,,,,, even though something in nature will end up ingesting the calories.

Gateholio
11-02-2017, 08:58 PM
It's strange why BC hunting regs would be different from Alberta where it's legal to bait bears. Not sure if you can bait deer there, though. The strangest law in Alberta, I think, is the one that disallows the use of a dog to locate a dead deer that you can't find. Sure seems like a waste if the deer was never found,,,,,, even though something in nature will end up ingesting the calories.

Every province has different rules, mostly based on tradition and also socially influenced. BC used to allow baiting bears but changed the laws at some point, probably to stop baiting of grizzlies. All other big game other than bears is legal to bait for the purposes of hunting in BC. Most provinces allow baiting of bears, but some don't allow baiting deer.

There is no real reason that BC shouldn't allow baiting black bears, but there you go.

lip_ripper00
11-02-2017, 09:07 PM

Hell no, just a friendly poke, sorry if I offended you.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-02-2017, 09:17 PM
Every province has different rules, mostly based on tradition and also socially influenced. BC used to allow baiting bears but changed the laws at some point, probably to stop baiting of grizzlies. All other big game other than bears is legal to bait for the purposes of hunting in BC. Most provinces allow baiting of bears, but some don't allow baiting deer.

There is no real reason that BC shouldn't allow baiting black bears, but there you go.

There are areas of Alberta that do NOT allow baiting for bears. These areas are known to be grizzly habitat.

Grizzlies can exhibit behaviour similar to carcass defence while on bait.

Alaska is experimenting with baiting grizzlies in recent years. From one video I saw of a sow grizzly defending a baitpile, they can have it!:eek:

SSS

fuzzybiscuit
11-02-2017, 09:18 PM
Wow, you should see the comments that come out on Alberta Outdoorsman when someone makes mention that baiting deer should be made legal. Comments like “unethical”, “unsportsmanlike”, etc... get thrown around like you would not believe. But baiting bears is all ok unlike BC.

It’s almost as controversial as when someone brings up that crossbows should be allowed in an archery-only season. Now that’s get out your popcorn time!

How can two provinces that boarder on each other be so different in views?

I’d love to be able to bait ungulates in Alberta. And I believe the arguments for being able to bait bears is valid also.

Crossbows though...we all know that’s just wrong.

bownut
11-02-2017, 10:00 PM
But does it make it right?
With all the talk about CWD we should as ethical hunters of B.C. have a better look at the problems this may create in the future.
Just saying.

Bugle M In
11-02-2017, 10:47 PM
Wow, you should see the comments that come out on Alberta Outdoorsman when someone makes mention that baiting deer should be made legal. Comments like “unethical”, “unsportsmanlike”, etc... get thrown around like you would not believe. But baiting bears is all ok unlike BC.

It’s almost as controversial as when someone brings up that crossbows should be allowed in an archery-only season. Now that’s get out your popcorn time!

How can two provinces that boarder on each other be so different in views?

I’d love to be able to bait ungulates in Alberta. And I believe the arguments for being able to bait bears is valid also.

Crossbows though...we all know that’s just wrong.

They don't really need to bait deer/elk there in Alberta....
The place is one big agricultural zone already, the bait is already out there:-P

Ourea
11-03-2017, 08:14 AM
With all the talk about CWD we should as ethical hunters of B.C. have a better look at the problems this may create in the future.
Just saying.

Comments like this I just don't find the logic in (all due respect).

Most of Alberta is a giant bait zone.
Agriculture brings dozens to hundreds of deer together in a given field.
This does not happen in natural habitat.

To put some salt out, or a sack of grain, that brings in a family unit of WT or the odd buck, is not a CWD concern compared to a field that attracts up to hundreds of deer daily. I find that most that make negative comments on using attractants have never done it.

wideopenthrottle
11-03-2017, 08:38 AM
Ethics are mostly a personal thing if you are following the law.....if I see a deer crossing sign, get out of my truck, hike in a few hundred yards and get a deer am I being unethical.....as your hunting experience gets more and more you tend to find tricks that make success easier...in your mind you may want to make it harder on yourself so that it does not seem "too easy" and that is where personal ethics come into play sometimes...perhaps getting up before light to post up in the woods would seem unfair to the deer...perhaps hunting in the rut is "too easy" for you...

Walking Buffalo
11-03-2017, 09:20 AM
Just saying.

Disease management should not be conflated with ethics.

While Alberta's deer baiting regulations have roots in fair chase ideals, the concern has shifted to disease control, particularly CWD.

WHEN CWD (if it hasn't already) makes its way into BC it is going to be a challenge changing minds of hunters who have become set in their ways.

As noted, in Alberta bear baiting is limited to areas outside of established Grizzly bear populations. Every year as the Grizzlies population grows more areas are closed to baiting.

J_T
11-03-2017, 09:45 AM
Disease management should not be conflated with ethics.

While Alberta's deer baiting regulations have roots in fair chase ideals, the concern has shifted to disease control, particularly CWD.

WHEN CWD (if it hasn't already) makes its way into BC it is going to be a challenge changing minds of hunters who have become set in their ways.

As noted, in Alberta bear baiting is limited to areas outside of established Grizzly bear populations. Every year as the Grizzlies population grows more areas are closed to baiting.

FYI, we do continue to test for CWD in our ungulates here. (tagging and submitting heads of all harvested ungulates) To date, in SE BC there is no evidence of CWD.

When we look at using feed placement as ungulate attractants, we do need to see it as very similar to winter feeding. And placing feed in the same location does present concerns about animals eating feed that is readily urinated and defecated on. As well as an obvious predator pit.