PDA

View Full Version : Got me a last minute doe

sawmill
10-31-2017, 03:48 PM
Been working out at Invermere so I though I would lose the last few days of doe season.But I got an unexpected day off ,went out and saw a BIG doe with what I thought was a fawn. Going to pass on her(I watched Bambi) but the "fawn" was a 2 point buck. She was a third bigger than him. Bang flop. 245 paces. And FAT, my god she was full inside and 2+ inches outside after skinning.
Ain`t as young and tough as I used to be, thought somebody would find us laying side by side dead half way up the hill during the drag. Sure love my old Brno 30.06,never lets me down.

RackStar
10-31-2017, 04:03 PM
Well done!!
il be feasting on mine tonight with a cold beer.
Enjoy that delicious table fare.

Salty
10-31-2017, 04:29 PM
Right on sawmill thought I was long in the season taking one Sunday morning but yep you're pretty much last minute there :) Sounds like a big doe all right makes a guy wonder what jr. will grow in to ..

Travalanche
10-31-2017, 04:33 PM
Nice one! I'm sure that will beat the hell out of the camp food I'll be choking down tonight. Happy Tenderloining to you!

gamehunter6o
10-31-2017, 04:49 PM
Congratulations. If I was over your way I would have skinned it for you, just for the sheer enjoyment of the way those fat whitetail skin.:cool:

sawmill
11-01-2017, 07:03 AM
Congratulations. If I was over your way I would have skinned it for you, just for the sheer enjoyment of the way those fat whitetail skin.:cool:
Yeah ,get the legs done and just peel the hide. Bought me a real nice food saver machine from Can Tire for 100$ off on sale. Looking forward to use it today.

Travalanche
11-01-2017, 08:00 AM
Yeah ,get the legs done and just peel the hide. Bought me a real nice food saver machine from Can Tire for 100$ off on sale. Looking forward to use it today.

Little tip with the food saver.....make like a snowball with the burger then put it in the bag and seal it, then you can flatten it and you end up with a book sized flat pound of burger that stacks very nicely in the freezer. I just started doing that this year and it saves a ridiculous amount of space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCL9tB47Zso

Travalanche
11-01-2017, 08:02 AM
Also, don't need to thaw it that way, so thin you just throw in the pan frozen and it cooks just as fast as thawed.

sawmill
11-01-2017, 01:05 PM
Thank you for the tip.

lovemywinchester
11-01-2017, 01:19 PM
Way to go Sawmill. I got one late afternoon yesterday as well. Big dry doe and covered with fat like yours. Should be delicious!!

HarryToolips
11-01-2017, 09:21 PM
Way to go, they're tasty!

Whonnock Boy
11-01-2017, 09:34 PM
I was hoping for a last minute animal as well. Good to hear someone was fortunate.

markomoose
11-01-2017, 09:43 PM
Nothing wrong with shootin Does Sawmill.They taste great.I was hoping for a moose this season but I'm pretty stoked with a Quesnel & Prince George double on 2 point Muleys although my son brags "Mine is bigger than yours"LOL Cheers Mark

hunter1947
11-02-2017, 06:18 AM
Meat in the freezer for the old cowboy ,,congrats Joe..

sawmill
11-02-2017, 11:54 AM
Got lucky again ,I love hunting in the snow. And Lord, is it snowing here now.Stopped at Petro Can to get a new tag and some fuel....WTF!!! 1.25.9 today! Out just at first good light and saw a nice 4 point chasing a doe and fawn around. They took off over the hill so I walked up and sure enough, broadside at 150 paces. I got to quit smoking, puffing like a steam engine by the time I got him loaded. Deer sure are fat this year.

lovemywinchester
11-02-2017, 12:06 PM
Hey Sawmill. Have you ever considered a game cart? I use mine all the time if I can and it is a huge help for pulling out deer. The flatter the terrain the better obviously but it might save you from having a jammer getting a deer back to the truck. It's easy to load as well. Just put the end of the cart on the tailgate and slide it in. It's one of the best $150 I've invested in hunting gear. I've used it through snow but a ice fishing sled works better for that situation.

https://i.imgur.com/iJpiBhdl.jpg