PDA

View Full Version : What would you do

Dour
10-30-2017, 10:16 PM
I got granola hit last hunt on a white tail doe!!! The doe had no fawns !! I was in a area where you can shoot everything was good to go I was walking the clearing all of a sudden a car shows up behind on the road. The lady starts yelling you can’t kill deer here but yes I can I know where I can and can’t I’m not a dick !!!! The doe didn’t take off until!!! She honked her horn!!!!!! I had time to shoot it but when she was yelling I didn’t . Should I have just shot the deer ???

Bullseye Bob
10-30-2017, 10:23 PM
If u know u r legal i woulda shot the deer then taken her license plate number if possible and had her charged for interfearing with a lawfull hunt

Kill-da-wabbit
10-30-2017, 10:31 PM
If u know u r legal i woulda shot the deer then taken her license plate number if possible and had her charged for interfearing with a lawfull hunt
Bullseye for...uh, Bullseye.

dmaxtech
10-30-2017, 10:39 PM
If you have a plate number you should report it, even though you didn’t shot a deer. Your hunt was interfered with. Hopefully a CO will go and have a chat with her.

Dour
10-30-2017, 11:12 PM
Really ? That’s a thing ?

Dour
10-30-2017, 11:14 PM
I’ve been hunting a long time first time this has happened !!! I didn’t know people cant do that. And I didn’t know we can report it !

J_T
10-31-2017, 06:16 AM
Why get into it with someone? That close to a road, would you want to drop a deer there? I doubt it helps the image of the hunter. It isn't always about being legal, sometimes respect comes into it. Some people are offended by killing. Just move off a little further into the bush and find another deer.

sawmill
10-31-2017, 06:26 AM
Why get into it with someone? That close to a road, would you want to drop a deer there? I doubt it helps the image of the hunter. It isn't always about being legal, sometimes respect comes into it. Some people are offended by killing. Just move off a little further into the bush and find another deer.
B.S. If you pass on a legal deer you might not get another chance. I would have zipped it. Screw her. She probably buys her meat at a store where no animals are hurt. Take her name and L # and report her. QUIT sucking up to the greenies. Sick of those basterds.

boxhitch
10-31-2017, 08:23 AM
Really ? That’s a thing ?No its not a thing. Imagine how silly the report would sound.
"but officer the lady was yelling at me !"
Just go over and try to have a civil conversation, and if thats not going to happen , walk away

604Stalker
10-31-2017, 08:25 AM
Yeah she totally interfered with a legal hunt! That being said it's your call if you care about offending her or not. Next time grab the licence plate # and report her to the CO service that's total crap if someone did that to me I may follow them right out of there and give them a peice of my mind about how they are in the wrong.

KodiakHntr
10-31-2017, 08:43 AM
No its not a thing. Imagine how silly the report would sound.
"but officer the lady was yelling at me !"
Just go over and try to have a civil conversation, and if thats not going to happen , walk away

Yeah, its definitely "a thing".... Interfering with a legal hunt is an offence. She was most definitely attempting to interfere with his lawful hunt by yelling and honking her horn.

Wild one
10-31-2017, 08:51 AM
Did you talk to her?

Did you show her facts on how you were legally hunting?

Did you explain that it is illegal to interfere with a legal hunt?

If you are 100% you were in the right doing the above in a respectful manner could have educated this lady for future run ins with yourself or other hunters. If you do the above leave your gun in the truck and conduct yourself in a calm manner. Some are anti hunting no matter what others just don't know anything about hunting

If she cannot be reasoned with tell her if you two have an issue like this in the future you will contact a CO to explain the legality of interfering with a legal hunt

Now I was not there to see how and where this played out so won't judge if you were in the right or not. I do know there are areas locals have become very defensive when it comes to hunters. Unfortunately slobs shooting deer in driveways, private land without permission, and other unsafe actions have caused this mentality towards hunters

I have been eating lunch in town wearing camo and had residents go out of there way to tell me not to shoot cows, tell me to stay off private land, and lots of other random things no hunter should. After talking to them and making it clear I don't approve of these actions I got to hear lots of stories why they were frustrated with hunters.

Unfortunately the slobs and poachers have given hunters a bad name in some areas

10-31-2017, 10:15 AM
I would have drilled the deer if I was alone.... ergo not had my kid...
then been polite lol

skibum
10-31-2017, 10:19 AM

This - but I would still get a picture and report so her confidence in interrupting hunters does not escalate.

wideopenthrottle
10-31-2017, 10:22 AM
would have killed it and asked her if she could help drag it out! just for the reaction...This is why I hunt away from people

boxhitch
10-31-2017, 10:31 AM
Yeah, its definitely "a thing".... Interfering with a legal hunt is an offence. She was most definitely attempting to interfere with his lawful hunt by yelling and honking her horn.It may be a keyboard thing but not in the real world

Care to point out any case histories, any attempts at pressing charges, any cases of guilty charges ?
gov.bc.ca/quarterly-environmental-enforcement-summary

Darksith
10-31-2017, 10:31 AM
I got granola hit last hunt on a white tail doe!!! The doe had no fawns !! I was in a area where you can shoot everything was good to go I was walking the clearing all of a sudden a car shows up behind on the road. The lady starts yelling you can’t kill deer here but yes I can I know where I can and can’t I’m not a dick !!!! The doe didn’t take off until!!! She honked her horn!!!!!! I had time to shoot it but when she was yelling I didn’t . Should I have just shot the deer ???
Take a pic of her license plate, she is not allowed to interfere with a legal hunt and report here. I probably wouldn't of squeezed the trigger but I guess it all depends on whether you are absolutely sure about where you are...I generally am not hunting where there are cars

Sportster
10-31-2017, 11:05 AM

That's not the point. It's 100 % illegal too harass hunters. Hunters are not bad people. And we have to stand up for ourselves. Even though time has passed, I would still report this incedent. Time date area. I wouldn't be surprised if this person doesn't have a history of harassment towards hunters.

elknut
10-31-2017, 11:23 AM
Just one question Dour...Were you on the road or off the road ?...You have to be either on the other side of a fence or a certain amount of footage from the centerline of the road...If you were legal then she did interfere with your hunt..We in BC have enshrined in law the right to hunt and not be interefered with...Also as long as you're not within a 100 metres of a dwelling you're good to go...Also private property must be respected and permission given...Dennis

wideopenthrottle
10-31-2017, 11:23 AM
http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2012/12/26/illegal-to-obstruct-lawful-hunters this is an Ontario case of interfering in a legal hunt but I could not spot anything in the wildlife act...
http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/freeside/00_96488_01#section45

Wild one
10-31-2017, 11:53 AM
Hunters who do not want to have these kind of issues may want to consider taking an educational approach rather than an offensive one. It does a lot more positive for hunting overall. Charging the person will get the point across they were wrong but if you educate them in a positive manner that person is more likely to pass on the information and a positive outlook on hunters.

It may cost you a deer and some time but has a better chance of improving things for hunters on a larger scale

That said if the individual has is rude with no interest in being educated inform them they can be charged with interfering with a legal hunt and if they push the matter do so

Sometimes it's best to try and resolve issues before making it a legal matter

BRvalley
10-31-2017, 12:16 PM
Despite the best of intentions (education, open dialogue, explain regulations, etc), never get into a conversation with these people in the bush...you are a man, with a gun, approaching a woman...even if you leave the gun in the truck it's still an intimidation factor, it's he said vs she said, guess which argument the rcmp is going to take more seriously, the interfered hunt? or the report of assault/threatened with weapon....kiss some $$ goodbye for your lawyer

record details, pictures if possible and report it

if you are fully correct you were in the right and legal to shoot, next time just shoot the deer....don't need to ask permission

Xenomorph
10-31-2017, 12:27 PM
Despite the best of intentions (education, open dialogue, explain regulations, etc), never get into a conversation with these people in the bush...you are a man, with a gun, approaching a woman...even if you leave the gun in the truck it's still an intimidation factor, it's he said vs she said, guess which argument the rcmp is going to take more seriously, the interfered hunt? or the report of assault/threatened with weapon....kiss some $$ goodbye for your lawyer

if you are fully correct you were in the right and legal to shoot, next time just shoot the deer....don't need to ask permission

Shoot deer, bag it and tag it, if cell signal don't move to road, call RCMP right away. It's interference with a legal hunt, it's liability on them not just as a fine, but civil liability to you too for your time, stress and everything else you can prove in court. They touch your car ...OH! No need to threaten, just go after their worth, you're exercising a right, you're insured, they're just expressing hurt feelings while breaking the law. Period!

Xenomorph
10-31-2017, 12:29 PM

Yes, if you're certain the area you are in is legal to hunt, then bag your animal, unload weapon, and call RCMP. By the time they arrive, you'd have dressed it and she can get a fine ...opens up way for you to file a restriction order, civil claim (if they decide to touch your belongings, as in damage car etc).

Big Lew
10-31-2017, 12:35 PM
If you're absolutely positive you are legally allowed to shoot the deer from where you are standing,
shoot the deer while she's mouthing off, and then ask her if she'd like to help gut and skin it...maybe
even offer her a chunk.

Dour
10-31-2017, 12:41 PM
I was off the road in a grass field. She pulled up and started it . I just kinda look at her and was like really . I did get 2 white tail. That day so it wasn’t to big of a deal. I got a devil buck and a ok doe But I just wanted to see what others would have done I didn’t know people couldn’t do that That’s great to know. But like others commented It’s not worth getting into it with a granola eater I just said bye deer walked to the ride and continued on my way.

J_T
10-31-2017, 01:57 PM
I was off the road in a grass field. She pulled up and started it . I just kinda look at her and was like really . I did get 2 white tail. That day so it wasn’t to big of a deal. I got a devil buck and a ok doe But I just wanted to see what others would have done I didn’t know people couldn’t do that That’s great to know. But like others commented It’s not worth getting into it with a granola eater I just said bye deer walked to the ride and continued on my way.Well done. Life is short, why instill confrontation when you don't really need it. And at a time when hunters are under the microscope why try to stand on some legal high ground when socially it will harm us ten-fold. I'm really unclear why most people responding to you think, shoot the deer first, talk later. It's so confrontational and unnecessary. As we're all famous for saying, "just go elsewhere". Hunters blame FN for doing very similar things. I simply can't understand why so many on here don't have the ability to see all sides of this, and show some respect. Perhaps it's not the lack of hunting stories that is driving good people away from this site but the lack of experience. FN are in the right (legally) to do what they are, yet, we're spouting off constantly that what they do is not ok. Good move on your part for leaving this alone.

russm
10-31-2017, 02:09 PM
Should've done ripped it right there, then when she goes and reports you she'd find out she's in the wrong from an authority figure, not sure why people say they'd just cave and "educate" the person when what they're doing is %100 legal, everyone wants to come across as the ethical keyboard hero these days.

Gateholio
10-31-2017, 02:46 PM

Well, first things first...Was she hot?

Dour
10-31-2017, 02:56 PM
If you like 65 year old hippies sure. That drives a echo hahahah

HappyJack
10-31-2017, 03:08 PM
B.S. If you pass on a legal deer you might not get another chance. I would have zipped it. Screw her. She probably buys her meat at a store where no animals are hurt. Take her name and L # and report her. QUIT sucking up to the greenies. Sick of those basterds.

Totally in agreement, there is no need for us to worry about their feelings because the only thing that will make them happy is a total ban on hunting. So have at 'er.

HappyJack
10-31-2017, 03:16 PM
Well done. Life is short, why instill confrontation when you don't really need it. And at a time when hunters are under the microscope why try to stand on some legal high ground when socially it will harm us ten-fold. I'm really unclear why most people responding to you think, shoot the deer first, talk later. It's so confrontational and unnecessary. As we're all famous for saying, "just go elsewhere". Hunters blame FN for doing very similar things. I simply can't understand why so many on here don't have the ability to see all sides of this, and show some respect. Perhaps it's not the lack of hunting stories that is driving good people away from this site but the lack of experience. FN are in the right (legally) to do what they are, yet, we're spouting off constantly that what they do is not ok. Good move on your part for leaving this alone.

WOW....wrong call. IMHO. Don't shoot the deer and empower the witch to keep pulling that stunt. She is anti hunting and there isn't a thing in this world you could do to change her mind on that, including kissing her butt.

J_T
10-31-2017, 03:40 PM
^^ I didn't see that she was a witch. Just a person who thought they were in the right. Mistakenly of course. I offered my opinion, perhaps not as aggressively as most on here. How is that wrong? You can't deny my comment about the double standard that hunters think they should be able to live by. The non/anti hunter won't change. What changes is our 'desire' to let it go, or escalate it into something ugly. I'll take the high ground every time. The non hunter already see us as bottom feeders, why prove them right?

But, hey guys, unless each of you is doing something positive each and every day to ensure the heritage of the hunt continues, then I'd suggest you take a hard look at the attitude of kill the animal in view of non hunters, burn the witch and challenge the court. You'll lose every time.

HappyJack
10-31-2017, 03:51 PM
^^ I didn't see that she was a witch. Just a person who thought they were in the right. Mistakenly of course. I offered my opinion, perhaps not as aggressively as most on here. How is that wrong? You can't deny my comment about the double standard that hunters think they should be able to live by. The non/anti hunter won't change. What changes is our 'desire' to let it go, or escalate it into something ugly. I'll take the high ground every time. The non hunter already see us as bottom feeders, why prove them right?

But, hey guys, unless each of you is doing something positive each and every day to ensure the heritage of the hunt continues, then I'd suggest you take a hard look at the attitude of kill the animal in view of non hunters, burn the witch and challenge the court. You'll lose every time.

I believe the act of shooting a deer is a thing of beauty, not ugly as you've painted it? Why would you see that as escalating anything when clearly it was the anti hunter that was already acting in a loathsome manner?? She had already created a scene, and disturbed the serenity of his hunt....

BgBlkDg
10-31-2017, 03:57 PM
J-T, as my father used to say, from his days at "The Yankee Girl", "The Second Relief" and "The Gold Belt", starting aged 16, 1920, when dealing with certain types, "What can you expect from a pig, but, a grunt" .

So, you are right, but, it is a waste of time to discuss this as most issues with this character. "Natural Conservationist" and all that.......... ;)

Dougielightning
10-31-2017, 04:08 PM
All season long, so called hunters have come to our community, to hunt the local whitetail populations. They don't however go past "the community" to do their hunting. Lots of deer live locally and I can't count the number of fricken hunters I see driving around our country streets, some clearly driving up posted private property driveways, hoping to bag thier deer.!!!!a few deer have been taken out of their vehicles, on the very streets our children walk home on. Some charged some not. What a joke. if your gonna shoot a deer beside a road where the public drive you need to think about perception. Who's gonna see it legal or not, where's the bullet gonna go? Just because there's a legal deer standing there doesn't mean blaze away. Get away from the villages, the city centres, we pay 500 bucks for our mendles boots, put the fricken things on the ground and enjoy a hunt, just a rant, I'm not talking directly to the poster as I don't know his peticular situation just to all the cowboys out their who continue to give us hunters out their a bad name. Treat my backyard like you'd treat your own if it had deer

Gateholio
10-31-2017, 04:18 PM
If you like 65 year old hippies sure. That drives a echo hahahah

Then I would just ignore her. At that age, she's not going to come around to be pro hunting. :)

Dougielightning
10-31-2017, 04:25 PM
embarrassed of my fellow hunters blazing cowboy ways, appreciate the calm, level, high road approach that some on here convey, this is what we need more of. Thank you for this approach, without it all hunting is doomed.

Gateholio
10-31-2017, 04:26 PM
Here's another spin on it- The hunter is in a legal to shoot area, and there is no safety concerns. He's on his way to chase the giant buck he has picked up on his trail cam a few times and seen glimpses of through the season, but no opportunity for a shot. This buck is the largest he's ever seen, and is larger than most record book bucks. and the hunter has been going hard, using every moment he has to be out hunting. He's down to the last day of the season, it's now or never, so he goes to take one more crack at the buck.

Just like the OP, the hunter is walking a clearing when the giant buck shows himself. He's lining up on this big buck when a 65 yr old hippy lady in an echo starts yelling at him.

Should he refrain from taking the shot because it might upset her? :)

JDR
10-31-2017, 04:43 PM
Assuming you were in a legal area to shoot, you were well within your rights to do so and she was not within in her rights to do what she did (i.e. interfere with a legal hunt). I would have shot the deer, taken down here plate #, and reported her to the CO's. No need to say anything to her just let the CO's deal with it. She may not give a crap what they have to say, but it's an opportunity to educate someone who is likely oblivious to the rules. May cause her to think twice next time.

Travalanche
10-31-2017, 04:44 PM
Show her the pink mist then pull the heart out and take a big bloody bite while she watches, then invite her over for a fine merlot, some tenderloins and a hot tub. Never know, the wild meat might bring out the beast in her and she'd be all up on ya.

BgBlkDg
10-31-2017, 04:50 PM
Older "hippy ladies", from my days of yore, are often a bit "gamey" so the latter bit may be more than you bought the Merlot for......... ;)

Xenomorph
10-31-2017, 07:29 PM
Here's another spin on it- The hunter is in a legal to shoot area, and there is no safety concerns. He's on his way to chase the giant buck he has picked up on his trail cam a few times and seen glimpses of through the season, but no opportunity for a shot. This buck is the largest he's ever seen, and is larger than most record book bucks. and the hunter has been going hard, using every moment he has to be out hunting. He's down to the last day of the season, it's now or never, so he goes to take one more crack at the buck.

Just like the OP, the hunter is walking a clearing when the giant buck shows himself. He's lining up on this big buck when a 65 yr old hippy lady in an echo starts yelling at him.

Should he refrain from taking the shot because it might upset her? :)

Doesn't need to be a booner buck. If you've put in the effort and you're getting bothered that won't stop unless someone takes legal action. Let me see how many people she bothered if one only takes her to court and relieves her of the expenses. My guesses a big fat 0.

Rhyno
10-31-2017, 07:34 PM

Sorry Jim but I am with Joe on this one.

HarryToolips
10-31-2017, 09:36 PM
Yes it's in the regs, interfering with a lawful hunt, nail her..

HighCountryBC
10-31-2017, 09:55 PM

Respect what?

Hunters have been trying to hide our activities for too long and look where it's taken us. Not the direction we want to be heading.

Buckmeister
10-31-2017, 11:27 PM
Ok, if the horn honks and the deer runs away here is what I recommend. Walk up to vehicle, take picture of licence plate. Give the lady the R.A.P.P. phone number and suggest strongly that she self report herself for interfering with a legal hunt, it will go better for her if she turns herself in before you turn her in. If she is confused or indignant, inform her she just committed an illegal offense, then be on your way.

Dour
11-01-2017, 07:03 PM
Thanks everyone. For your posts some good ones some funny ones and some that well were ummm ok ha If that ever happens again I’ll take some pics and inform them that they broke the law And for the guy talking about shooting in small towns I was around 10 k from the closet house I was beside a lake and 3 more clicks down the road I would have hit a logging road. No fences Only grass hills and trees Like I said before I got 2 after that event so it was a good thing! I also got a turkey the day before. It was a good area going back for sure !!!!!

Ddog
11-01-2017, 09:25 PM
under the wildlife act:
Obstructing licensed persons

80 A person commits an offence if the person interferes with or obstructs a person licensed or permitted to capture wildlife or to hunt, fish, guide or trap while that person is lawfully so engaged.

so there you have it,,but i strongly suggest, although you were in the right to shoot the animal, you think of your actions before you shoot,

so yes boxhitch,,it is a thing in the real world under the wildlife act.

hunter1947
11-02-2017, 06:21 AM
If you know you are right hunting this land I would had shot the doe and then took her plate number and reported her to the CO ,,it is illegal to inter fear with any other hunters hunting activities..

HappyJack
11-02-2017, 04:29 PM
Some people would have done a tap dance on top of her car.....

Bugle M In
11-02-2017, 05:45 PM
if it was a monster buck...I would of shot.
a doe, well, I don't think it would be worth the argument.
But yes, you have the right to do what you want in the case you put forth.

Looking_4_Jerky
11-04-2017, 10:14 AM

This is a smart post, and bang on. Hard to remember to use a cool head when some leathery hippie-chick starts spouting off and blows a hunt, but it would pay to do so. As much as giving her a piece of your mind, or a polite education (depending on who you are and how good looking she might be...) might feel nice, it's risky. I'd flip her the bird and go on your way, hopefully toward the deer you dropped while she was beaking off.