PDA

View Full Version : Mulie or BT? Need advice

Throwaway
10-30-2017, 04:23 PM
I've still yet to down a MD or BT. I grew up flying back to Ontario for Whitetail season and bagging one every year from 11 to 18. Then with my Dad passing and other interests I didn't pick up a rifle again until I turned 30 last year. Didnt expect a lot being my first year back and my first year western hunting. Bagged a black bear up off Hwy 24. Was more than happy. Spent this summer scouting a sea to sky area: Saw a doe and 2 fawns. My region 3 spot a
big ol' MD doe. That's it. Been all weekend trips so far. My question is: I've got the 10th to the 20th of Nov off work... where would you focus your efforts? Blacktail spot or MD spot? MD spot definitely had more sign but also way more hunting pressure. Sorry for the long preamble but didn't want to come across as one of those 'huntin spots pleez!!!" Kind of guyz. Advice, opinions and GPS coordinates welcome. Haha

Thanks,
Throwaway

Throwaway
10-30-2017, 04:25 PM
Follow up info: comfortable backpacking in and sleeping chilly, don't like shooting further than 200 yds.

ryanonthevedder
10-30-2017, 04:35 PM
BT's are more difficult to target but if you have to spend 5-8 hours round trip driving for mules then why not stay local and go for BTs. The rut is right around the corner.

Wentrot
10-30-2017, 05:30 PM
I’d go look for a mule deer with that time.tent, sleep in the pickup or get a hotel!

Fella
10-30-2017, 06:04 PM
If you want better odds of killing something go for MD. If you're looking for a new addiction go look for a mature blacktail.

Spy
10-30-2017, 07:18 PM
If you want better odds of killing something go for MD. If you're looking for a new addiction go look for a mature blacktail.
Ha ha that's not an addiction, it's a curse ;-)

Throwaway
10-30-2017, 07:28 PM
I can feel the blacktail pull already... I love the habitat, I like the rain but I'd like some meat in the freezer as well. I'm leaning towards 2-11 blacktail...

avadad
10-30-2017, 08:01 PM
Have a look at the regulations if you plan on hunting mule deer in November...

Throwaway
10-30-2017, 08:47 PM
The 4 point or better deal is definitely a factor. What's more rare though: seeing a 4 pt mulie or any blacktail?

IronNoggin
10-31-2017, 12:32 PM
Ha ha that's not an addiction, it's a curse ;-)

Ain't THAT the truth!! :lol:

I have always found Mulies one hell of a lot easier to figure out than Blacktails.
That said, there are sometimes exceptions, and the rut is getting off the ground...

Difficult choice. Best of Luck whatever you decide...
Nog

dougan
10-31-2017, 01:02 PM
The 4 point or better deal is definitely a factor. What's more rare though: seeing a 4 pt mulie or any blacktail?
I've bin looking for a 4 point blacktail for 27 years

Wild one
10-31-2017, 01:07 PM
Where you hunt and how you hunt are bigger factors then bt or mule deer

I know spots for bt with the standard of any buck odds are I tag one in a day two tops and no I won't tell where lol. That said if you are hunting high pressure areas without knowing pockets well you may never see a buck

also hunted places for mule deer and not seen a buck after a week hunting hard. Other areas I know it's just a matter of time before I see a 4pt

Niether species is super tough but instead different. Myself I have a higher success rate on bt but that is do to better spots and a better understanding of them

Best answer to your ? Is go hunt the species you understand most in the location you have the most knowledge of

The hunters knowledge is the greatest factor in success

Ryo
10-31-2017, 02:20 PM
over on the Washington hunting forum they keep a poll of how many people shoot each species, and buck or doe. Mule deer almost double blacktail so far this year, and I bet it's the same here. Not exactly scientific, but it is telling...

If you're short on time, and don't know any given area really well, go to mule country, use your binos and play the rut and the weather. Unless somebody gives you a hot blacktail tip... but even with that, I'd probably still look for mule deer first if my freezer was empty. Spend the rest of the season playing cat and mouse with blacktails.

hickman
10-31-2017, 03:30 PM
Mule for sure. Go to your region 3 spot and hike into snow. Deer will not go higher than knee deep snow. Saw 5 bucks in my spot in thick timber last weekend. Bumped the first one after hiking for less than an hour. Saw most of them early morning semi-open east/ south facing slopes, often with rocks and rock bluffs. They move out of the sun later for afternoon nap and bed down in more shady spots.
Difficult to be quiet in frozen snow. Maybe hike in and sit at first light. Wait for them moving into sunny spots at first light.
If you have tracks in snow, follow them. Stop and look often if in timber, they are bedded down in the weirdest spots...