PDA

View Full Version : Shooting from a vehicle

Georooney
10-30-2017, 08:47 AM
It's probably been asked a 100 times, but I'd like to get it from an official source: is it legal to rest your rifle on the vehicle (open door, hood, etc.) when shooting game? I know the regs say no shooting from a vehicle. Does that mean step away from the vehicle, or have both feet on the ground?

I've heard yes, no, and maybe. But I'd like to read the factual regulations. Opinions don't count for much with the CO, just his. :???:

cptnoblivious
10-30-2017, 08:53 AM
Given that hunters have been fined for simply leaning a rifle against a vehicle with cartridges in the clip attached to the rifle, I don't see how you're going to get a different answer i.e. it's legal, for shooting off a vehicle.

tomahawk
10-30-2017, 08:54 AM
anything you have heard like YES or MAYBE is from uninformed people. The answer is NO, you will also be charged if your firearm has cartridges in it and is leaning against the vehicle and your not near it. If it has any ammunition in it at all its illegal to be touching the vehicle. Doesn't matter what the circumstance is if you or the firearm is touching the vehicle its illegal if it has a cartridge in it.

f350ps
10-30-2017, 08:58 AM
It's probably been asked a 100 times, but I'd like to get it from an official source: is it legal to rest your rifle on the vehicle (open door, hood, etc.) when shooting game? I know the regs say no shooting from a vehicle. Does that mean step away from the vehicle, or have both feet on the ground?

I've heard yes, no, and maybe. But I'd like to read the factual regulations. Opinions don't count for much with the CO, just his. :???:
Then you're asking in the wrong place! K

RJHunter
10-30-2017, 09:00 AM
It's Unlawfull "To discharge, carry or have in possessiona firearm containing live ammunition in its
breech or in its magazine attached to the
firearm, in or on a railway car, motor vehicle,
sleigh, aircraft, bicycle or other conveyance."

I think leaning on a vehicle would be considered "on" the vehicle.

frankthedog
10-30-2017, 09:36 AM
Target shooting as well? or just hunting? Shooting is shooting, so what you are shooting at does not matter, agree? I know more than a few people who use the tailgate as a table and have shot targets while leaning over the hood of a truck. Are they risking a fine as well?

digger dogger
10-30-2017, 09:49 AM
This is what I've heard.
Buddy was charged with shooting off of the hood of his truck, in court he wasn't convicted, because he had a jacket on the hood and he also had a jacket on his body.

So technically he, nor his rifle was touching the truck.
This is what I've heard.
And f350ps, is correct, wrong place to ask, because of so many "I've heard stories"
I'd like to see a e-mail, letter, etc, from a CO for the answer, before I'd use a vehicle for a stable-ish rest.

Linksman313
10-30-2017, 09:57 AM
anything you have heard like YES or MAYBE is from uninformed people. The answer is NO, you will also be charged if your firearm has cartridges in it and is leaning against the vehicle and your not near it. If it has any ammunition in it at all its illegal to be touching the vehicle. Doesn't matter what the circumstance is if you or the firearm is touching the vehicle its illegal if it has a cartridge in it.

OH really? My brother has a circumstance and permit with which he can legally load and discharge a firearm from a vehicle (amputee). Lets make sure we dot i's and cross t's here. It is legal for some with the correct permit.

Four different permits, issued under the Permit Regulation are available to disabled hunters, should they meet the criteria:

Discharge a firearm from a motor vehicle

This is intended for those persons who are unable to safely exit a motor vehicle to shoot (e.g., paraplegics)

Use a motor vehicle to hunt in areas closed to motor vehicles

This is primarily intended for those persons who are unable to walk very far without mobility assistance (e.g., cane, walker, crutches, wheelchair, or prosthetics)

Be assisted by having one or more hunting companions, to track, kill and retrieve big game wounded by the disabled person (open or closed area)

This is primarily intended for those persons who are unable to walk very far without mobility assistance (e.g., cane, walker, crutches, wheelchair, or prosthetics)

Be assisted by having one or more designated (proxy) hunting companions, to hunt and kill big game on behalf of the disabled person

This is intended for those persons who are completely unable to discharge a firearm or crossbow due to their physical disability (e.g., quadriplegics, double arm amputee)

http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/guides/fish-wildlife/disabled-hunting-permit/print/

bighornbob
10-30-2017, 09:59 AM
I have asked this same question to the head CO in region 3. Unfortunately I did not save his email.

His answer was "if you are in a safe place to shoot i.e. a clearcut etc you are fine. he said he would rather see someone get a good rest then shoot freehand at an animal. Both feet must be on the ground.

He said most guys that get charged with shooting from a vehicle are already doing something illegal like shooting from a highway etc.

If it was me I would email the CO's and get their answer in writing. It would be hard and or stupid for a CO to give you a ticket in the field when you pull out an email from his boss saying its perfectly fine to do. Or if it went to court you could just show the judge the email and it would be your "get out of jail free card".

Like I said contacts the head CO of the region you hunt and see what he says.

BHB

Drillbit
10-30-2017, 11:54 AM
The CO statement was posted in the last thread about this by Gatehouse.

It said as long as your feet are on the ground and you're holding the rifle you can lean on the hood to shoot. The gun technically wouldn't be touching any part of the vehicle.

Weatherby Fan
10-30-2017, 01:04 PM
Oh so I'm ok after using the box of my truck for a rest to kill a coyote at 110 yards yesterday morning..........:wink:

Chopper
10-30-2017, 01:19 PM
It is illegal to discharge a firearm from a motor vehicle.

HARD NO BUD !

Stresd
10-30-2017, 04:46 PM
The CO statement was posted in the last thread about this by Gatehouse.

Here is Gatehouse's post

10-13-2017, 10:43 PM
#29 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?140270-Stewart-Lake-CO-s-and-tickets&p=1943961#post1943961)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/image.php?u=153&dateline=1295240216 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?153-Gatehouse)Gatehouse (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?153-Gatehouse)
http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/statusicon/user-offline.pngMmmm...Beer

Join DateMar 2004LocationPemberton BCPosts2,048

Re: Stewart Lake CO,s and tickets
I write to clarify the opinion provided on September 10, 2009, regarding the use of a motor vehicle as a rest for the discharge of a firearm.

After further discussions with the COS and legal counsel the interpretation provided previously may not have been completely accurate. An individual is probably not breaking the law if they lean against a vehicle to steady their shot, provided both feet are on the ground. There is a possibility that the term “in or on” applies to the person and not the firearm.

However, this is not a recommended practice as there is a limited field of vision in an area where there is a high likelihood of other people being present. This activity comprises only a portion of a hunt, and as with every situation, the actions of a Conservation Officer would reflect specific circumstances

Regards,

Stephen MacIver
Fish and Wildlife Branch
Ministry of Environment
(250) 387-9767

sumonda
10-30-2017, 05:42 PM
I get that they don't want anyone discharging a firearm FROM a vehicle.. ie: road hunting, But seriously if I'm out in the bush target shooting outside of hunting season and I set up my steel plate and balloons and then use my truck lift gate as a bench rest what is the big deal!?

Buckmeister
10-30-2017, 07:36 PM
I guess those hillbillies I saw a few years ago who were leaning out of their vehicle, WHILE it was driving down the road, and shooting at the birds that often fly in front of you as you drive, must have had some special permit or something, cause no person in their right mind would ever do such a thing....would they??? :roll:

Georooney
10-31-2017, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I think I'll run this past the CO, and report back here.

srthomas75
10-31-2017, 01:33 PM
Sub question to this:?
I think I know the answer but am curious as to how others view it. - a hunter goes for a ride on a quad, finds a nice area to view, and watch for animals. They are sitting on the quad because it’s more comfortable than the stump they are parked near. An hour or so goes by and a deer appears that they want to shoot at. Do you think the guy would be busted for shooting off of the quad? I see this as a very common occurrence even though it may not be perfectly legal.

Ozone
10-31-2017, 02:49 PM
Sub question to this:?
I think I know the answer but am curious as to how others view it. - a hunter goes for a ride on a quad, finds a nice area to view, and watch for animals. They are sitting on the quad because it’s more comfortable than the stump they are parked near. An hour or so goes by and a deer appears that they want to shoot at. Do you think the guy would be busted for shooting off of the quad? I see this as a very common occurrence even though it may not be perfectly legal.

No different than shooting from inside the truck.

Leaseman
10-31-2017, 02:51 PM
Common sense is a huge factor with most of the questions asked.....:wink:

Travalanche
10-31-2017, 03:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUnI4XqZfYk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZlLtG7Zwho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f46fhFDCNGc

303savage
10-31-2017, 04:18 PM
I think I'll run this past the CO
You could run it past several C.Os. and get several different answers :-)

BRrooster
11-12-2017, 04:19 PM
A couple of years ago I was checked out by two CO's , while I was sighting in my rifle in a gravel pit. Had my spotting scope on my window mount and was using my dry box as a rest. Nothing was said about doing anything illegal; they checked out my hunting license and tags and said I was good to go. One even looked thru the spottingscope and commented on my shooting. Good backstop, clear field of view , not shooting across a road. I was not shooting from "in the vehicle", and obviously had both feet on the ground.
A loaded firearm not in your control is an accident waiting to happen. Have you ever seen a rifle that was leaning against something fall over? I have. Don't trust safeties . Open the bolt or in the case of autoloaders and such, unload them before leaning them against something. If I have to lean my rifle up against the truck , the barrel goes in the side of the tire tread .

tomahawk
11-12-2017, 05:58 PM
With all due respect Linksman313 were talking here about the law that controls the general population. There are always exceptions but this guy was asking about the norm as he did not mention he had any exception. I have hunted with and assisted disabled hunters and killed moose for others as well on there behalf and its wonderful that the ministry includes the exceptions for these folks.

OH really? My brother has a circumstance and permit with which he can legally load and discharge a firearm from a vehicle (amputee). Lets make sure we dot i's and cross t's here. It is legal for some with the correct permit.

Four different permits, issued under the Permit Regulation are available to disabled hunters, should they meet the criteria:

Discharge a firearm from a motor vehicle

This is intended for those persons who are unable to safely exit a motor vehicle to shoot (e.g., paraplegics)

Use a motor vehicle to hunt in areas closed to motor vehicles

Be assisted by having one or more hunting companions, to track, kill and retrieve big game wounded by the disabled person (open or closed area)

Be assisted by having one or more designated (proxy) hunting companions, to hunt and kill big game on behalf of the disabled person

This is intended for those persons who are completely unable to discharge a firearm or crossbow due to their physical disability (e.g., quadriplegics, double arm amputee)

http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/guides/fish-wildlife/disabled-hunting-permit/print/

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
12-25-2017, 01:31 PM
You could run it past several C.Os. and get several different answers :-)

Thats right i have been thru it . i called 3 COs on a question and got 3 different answers

blacklab
12-26-2017, 08:54 AM
The answer will depend on the CO that you're dealing with at the time.
You may end up in court to get another opinion.
I use my vehicle as a rest if needed, it's all about safety first.

Wild one
12-26-2017, 09:33 AM
Get out of your truck take a knee or rest off something that is not the vehicle and you will never be debating legality with a CO/cop. If you want to always have a rest keep shooting sticks in your truck

Do the above and you won’t have to worry