PDA

View Full Version : Allergic to moose meat?

Quince
10-27-2017, 12:13 PM
Anyone hear of or is allergic to moose meat?

huntcoop
10-27-2017, 12:19 PM

Most FN's :shock:

Ryo
10-27-2017, 12:49 PM
My youngest sister is allergic to red meat. It's come about in the last couple years, and it's suspected that she was bitten by a tick while camping in Texas.

Bustercluck
10-27-2017, 12:56 PM
It's been known to give people bad guts until they get used to it.

ajr5406
10-27-2017, 01:10 PM

Apart from Mammalian Meat Allergy, which is an immunological response following a bite from certain tick species, why would an allergy be to moose meat only, but not other ungulates? Does this person also have a response to deer/elk as well?

Just interested... My wife has a mild allergy to lamb.

Island Idiots
10-27-2017, 01:10 PM
Allergies are horrible. If anyone has Moose Meat and finds that they are allergic to it, I would be willing to take it off your hands.
Best to remove the source of the allergy right away so as to avoid getting any bad side effects.

Quince
10-27-2017, 01:21 PM
Wife has no problems eating deer or lamb. Have to wait and see...Might have 300lbs of moose to trade for elk or deer...

wideopenthrottle
10-27-2017, 01:21 PM
I have heard of this ...my mom has it....it's called "squeamish" cant handle wild meat...heheheh
but in all seriousness what made you wonder?..what kind of reaction is she having?

ajr5406
10-27-2017, 01:32 PM
Wife has no problems eating deer or lamb. Have to wait and see...Might have 300lbs of moose to trade for elk or deer...

What are the symptoms of her allergy?

Quince
10-27-2017, 01:48 PM
Crazy hives 2-4 hrs after eat(only thing we can think of right now) no upset stomach, no sh#ts. Bunch of people have eaten the meat and its been great tasting moose.

Frango
10-27-2017, 02:13 PM
Crazy hives 2-4 hrs after eat(only thing we can think of right now) no upset stomach, no sh#ts. Bunch of people have eaten the meat and its been great tasting moose.I have a feeling there might be something else going on? Unless the moose was harvested in a certain part of the Ukraine The Moose cause would be the last thing I would suspect.

wideopenthrottle
10-27-2017, 02:19 PM
does she have other allergies?...perhaps something in the marinade or side dish?.. dinner guest's cat?....how many times has she reacted this way?

moosecaller
10-27-2017, 03:53 PM
Moose eat a lot of willow this is aspirin or an early natural form of it here are some of the reactions to aspirin
Hives
Itchy skin
Runny nose
Red eyes
Swelling of the lips, tongue or face
Coughing, wheezing or shortness of breath
Anaphylaxis — a rare, life-threatening allergic reaction

Just a thought?

two-feet
10-27-2017, 05:51 PM
AlphaGal- look it up. Tick born allergy to red meat. The Texas connection could be very real.

1/2 slam
10-27-2017, 09:06 PM
It's been known to give people bad guts until they get used to it.

Fed a buddy some once. He stunk me out of my apartment.

Chuck
10-27-2017, 09:20 PM
Moose eat a lot of willow this is aspirin or an early natural form of it here are some of the reactions to aspirin
Hives
Itchy skin
Runny nose
Red eyes
Swelling of the lips, tongue or face
Coughing, wheezing or shortness of breath
Anaphylaxis — a rare, life-threatening allergic reaction

Just a thought?

Funny you should mention the aspirin. I can't take it, and I also don't prefer moose. I have no problem with deer or elk, but I don't hunt moose. It just gives me the heebie-jeebies thinking of it. Hell, I'll even eat cougar or beaver for that matter, but I'll pass on the moose roast every time.

Frango
10-29-2017, 09:22 PM
Funny you should mention the aspirin. I can't take it, and I also don't prefer moose. I have no problem with deer or elk, but I don't hunt moose. It just gives me the heebie-jeebies thinking of it. Hell, I'll even eat cougar or beaver for that matter, but I'll pass on the moose roast every time.The human body and more important the human mind is a complex thing. If you think that moose eating willow is a common aspirin allergenic then I have a bridge I would like to sell. I understand that people have wild game preferences totally natural. I don't like bear although I will eat it. I have never said that any wild game has given me the heeby -jeebies . I think its way more likely that it is a psychological issue than anything else. If one says they don't like Deer ,Elk,Bear or Moose that is fine just say so..If one gives you the heebee Jebbees or gives you hives ,boils or syphilis then I think there is more involved. Sometimes common sense is a bitch but rarely . Depends on whether you have any?? No insult intended but?

srupp
10-29-2017, 09:37 PM
My wife Susan has a allergy to deer ..but not the meat ..just petting deer..it's the dander..same with horses..put her in hospital first time petting a deer.now I don't ask her for help on deer till after the hide is bagged, deer hair is washed off the deer ..and she uses rubber surgical gloves latex with no powder.
She can consume deer meat no issues.
Srupp

Surrey Boy
10-29-2017, 11:06 PM
Any specific protein may be an allergen to an individual, though some are more common than others. Sorry if you're the one who got the one in a million odds.

avadad
10-29-2017, 11:27 PM
Try a food sensitivity test. Most naturopathic physicians can point you in the right direction.

Quince
10-30-2017, 09:36 AM
Had moose ribs last night and no break out. Seems to only get hives when we argue...
maybe all just coincidence

ajr5406
10-30-2017, 09:55 AM
Had moose ribs last night and no break out. Seems to only get hives when we argue...

Ah, the "husband allergy"... Thats a tough one to treat!

303savage
10-30-2017, 10:58 AM
I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

The years you when to school have very little to do with how smart you are.
I got through grade 7 and thought that was enough so I went work.

Leveraction
10-30-2017, 08:30 PM
well one thing about eating wild, whether it's moose deer elk or bear, the fact is this meat has no growth hormones in it, no steroids, no antibiotics, no meat coloring, no meat preservatives, no meat tenderizing chemicals, what your eating when you eat wild is meat, the way it was eaten for thousands of years by us humans.........but as your gut is so atuned to eating meat full of antibiotics, the bugs that live in your gut don't know what to do when a real piece of meat is dropped into it. so all the good bugs that live in your gut and have been on vacation their entire life now have to stand up and fight off the natural bugs that live in wild real meat, and a few cramps are normal until your stomach gets its bug house in order.
try not eating any meat for a month, Purge yourself off all the chemicals in store bought meat, then slowly introduce wild meat 1-2 times per week and give your guts the time to learn how to work again.

Surrey Boy
10-30-2017, 09:56 PM
^^^
"Natural" or not, there will be a specific arrangement of atoms in question here. Doesn't matter how it's formed, it just needs to be identified and separated.

russm86
10-31-2017, 01:30 PM
My wife Susan has a allergy to deer ..but not the meat ..just petting deer..it's the dander..same with horses..put her in hospital first time petting a deer.now I don't ask her for help on deer till after the hide is bagged, deer hair is washed off the deer ..and she uses rubber surgical gloves latex with no powder.
She can consume deer meat no issues.
Srupp

I have/had a dander allergy. Sucked for gutting and skinning game. I would get hives. I got desensitizing shots for the different pet danders and it seems to have helped a bit but I just automatically take an antihistamine and put on gloves before I touch any game.

BRvalley
10-31-2017, 03:18 PM

stress does cause hives too

I had a coworker who would break out during busy deadlines lol