PDA

View Full Version : Overwintering Trail Cameras?

VFX_man
10-23-2017, 02:46 PM
Hi all, am thinking about overwintering about 15 trail cameras. Any advice?

Roughly how high should they be on the trees to avoid snow-in at around 1,500 feet?

Thanks, VFX

Slinky Pickle
10-23-2017, 04:28 PM
The snow depth depends on your location but if you assume 3-4 feet of snow depth you should be ok. The biggest thing is the branches around the camera. The snow could bring them down in front of the camera. Just make sure to de-limb the trees accordingly. Watch that you don't place the camera in such a way as to get snow drifts around it too. I've had cameras end up with the lens cover filled with snow.

The other big thing will be your batteries. Typical alkaline batteries don't like the cold and will often pack it in early in the season. The best approach is to use lithium batteries like the Energizer Ultimate Lithium. They are quite expensive but last much longer. In my opinion you actually save money using them but others might not agree.

Winter time can be a really fun time to run a camera.

https://youtu.be/mmEjmVdtY2k

hunter1947
10-24-2017, 05:03 PM
Depending on the average snow fall withing this area then set accordingly trail cams should be 6 feet above the snow height..

deadlyshot19
10-25-2017, 03:46 PM
It's a complete guess sometimes. I managed to get to one of mine in the very early spring this year because the snow was so frozen I could ride my ATV on top of it. I was unable to find my camera at first, I had thought the tree it was on had fallen. Turns out I found it a couple minutes later a foot under the snow.. I never expected that spot to get that much snow. Other than snow level and fresh batteries there isn't much else you have to do differently.

BuckChaser
10-25-2017, 04:02 PM
Don't waste your money on the Lithium batteries. I have tried them and find that there is no significant advantage to using them. Just buy the Costco alkaline big pack and you're good to go.

todbartell
10-25-2017, 04:32 PM
Ive had Alkalines crack and leak acid and wreck cameras in sub zero temps. Lithiums will work well at -30c and last 18 months

nazarow
10-25-2017, 04:47 PM
Ive had Alkalines crack and leak acid and wreck cameras in sub zero temps. Lithiums will work well at -30c and last 18 months

^^^ what he said ^^^

MAMMOET
10-25-2017, 05:02 PM
I use lithium batts as well.
Also if you don't mind spending $250 for a trail cam, buy spypoint solar.
I've got 3 of them and am very happy!!
You will not have to check batts as the solar cams will only use batt power when it is cloudy.
Hope this helps.
Good luck this season!!

todbartell
10-25-2017, 05:43 PM
I use lithium batts as well.
Also if you don't mind spending $250 for a trail cam, buy spypoint solar.
I've got 3 of them and am very happy!!
You will not have to check batts as the solar cams will only use batt power when it is cloudy.
Hope this helps.
Good luck this season!!

I have 2 of these they're great. $250 is cheap we used to spend $450 on a POS ten years ago

HighCountryBC
10-25-2017, 06:22 PM
Don't waste your money on the Lithium batteries. I have tried them and find that there is no significant advantage to using them. Just buy the Costco alkaline big pack and you're good to go.

This is poor advice imo.

Lithiums are significantly better in cold weather temps and last much longer than regular alkaline batteries.

Slinky Pickle
10-25-2017, 07:05 PM
This is poor advice imo.

Lithiums are significantly better in cold weather temps and last much longer than regular alkaline batteries.

I'm sure glad you guys backed me up. I've spent a ton of time testing different batteries and your dollar/day on trail cams is much better with lithium batteries.

The cheapest that I have found them lately is at Canadian Tire. The Source used to be the best but C.T. has blown them out of the water on pricing in the last few months.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/energizer-ultimate-lithium-aa12-battery-12-pk-0651607p.html#srp

VFX_man
10-25-2017, 10:16 PM
I'm sure glad you guys backed me up. I've spent a ton of time testing different batteries and your dollar/day on trail cams is much better with lithium batteries.

The cheapest that I have found them lately is at Canadian Tire. The Source used to be the best but C.T. has blown them out of the water on pricing in the last few months.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/energizer-ultimate-lithium-aa12-battery-12-pk-0651607p.html#srp

Thanks, will look at picking a few up. Already have a ton of the others already so might have to use them up as well. Plus looks like CT is short on them at my nearby stores.

Can't wait for spring now . . . Well, November leh moose first ;)