PDA

View Full Version : Qustions about fly in with kid

CheesyLimper
10-23-2017, 10:50 AM
So I've been thinking about doing a fly in for caribou next year (and for many years after I hope). I also take my oldest son out hunting with me here at home and promised that when he was older, I would take him on a hunting trip too.
Anyway, I have a relatively newly diagnosed medical issue that is going to limit my mobility in the years to come; right now I'm fine, can hike and pack no problem, but there could/will be a major slide in my abilities in the upcoming years that may keep me from doing rough terrain adventures.
So what I'd like to know is, how young is too young for a fly in caribou hunt in your opinion. I'd really like to hear from people who brought their kids along on something like this, how old they were and how it worked out bearing in mind that the experience is more important than actual hunting success to me. If you don't have kids but have some second hand info, that's good too.
Thanks

dmaxtech
10-23-2017, 12:26 PM
How old is your kid? How much hunting/survival experience does he have? My oldest is almost 14 and 5’10. He can keep up all day long. Not sure I would take mine any younger than now. It’s more about their independence and skills than anything else.

CheesyLimper
10-23-2017, 02:17 PM
How old is your kid? How much hunting/survival experience does he have? My oldest is almost 14 and 5’10. He can keep up all day long. Not sure I would take mine any younger than now. It’s more about their independence and skills than anything else.

He'd be 12 at the earliest. It's not so much that I would take him at any certain age as I figure I still have a few good years left and I know there's no fine line that says old enough or not, just looking for peoples experiences.
I read a good thread about a guy who took his kid on a fly in goat hunt at 14 (I think) and it got me thinking that's something my kid could do soon too based on my experiences with his sense of responsibility, safety etc which got me wondering if other people took a kid along on that kind of thing.

tikkahunter
10-23-2017, 02:32 PM
Sorry to hear about your health issues CheesyLimper. Lots of things to think about in regards to your question, which I am sure you already have thought about. I have often thought about taking my kids on a fly in. A few deciding factors for me would be survival skills, ability to handle changes, ability to handle adverse conditions, level of responsibility etc. After doing my first fly hunt a in early september, it definitely changed how I thought about taking my kids on a similar trip. The mental aspect of a trip like that is huge. For me and my kids, that would probably be the biggest factor, how mentally tough are they. But ultimately, you will decide what you think is best for you and your kid.

That said, your idea to get out there and do it with them while you can is awesome. Hope it works out great for you.

wideopenthrottle
10-23-2017, 02:38 PM
Sorry to hear you have a condition....
May I ask what it is? ....
I have recently been diagnosed with something called ankylosing spondylitis from an x-ray I had for another reason....
From what little I have read and gleaned from my doctor, it is a form of autoimmune disease where a protein is produced and causes an immune response that results in bones growing/attaching together...

To be honest I am a little hesitant to research it much more in case it is a rapidly progressing/debilitating condition (some fear factor!!!)...if it is a rapid one, I will have to make some tough choices about what to do with my remaining good health so I better stop putting it off....I saw my recently appointed rheumatologist, Dr Yang, a couple of months ago after my GP spotted the problem and Dr Yang wanted to put me on an experimental (in Canada) drug called Humera...you may have seen the commercial with 10 seconds about the benefits and 20 seconds about the bad possible side effects..
As I was not in pain at the time and so likely not dealing with inflammation that initiated the immune response I suggested that we wait until after my MRI before going on a drug for the rest of my life and she agreed...I just got a call a couple of days ago to get a date for my MRI (Mar 14 2018) so I will research it soon

CheesyLimper
10-23-2017, 02:40 PM
$#it happens, is he old enough to get out of a bind by himself, sans babysitter?

That's a key question and I ask myself that in any situation we get in that could be risky. And at the end of the day, that's the one that needs a positive answer before I'd take him. On the flip side, I've done bush work with 50 year olds that would have got a big NO on that one :mrgreen:

Gateholio
10-23-2017, 03:25 PM
I would spend the upcoming year prepping him on outdoor skills including orientation, first aid, etc. Go on weekend backpack trips. We were spending 2-3 weeks in the bush on backpacking trips when I was 10, with adult supervision of course. Also get an In Reach and learn how to use it. The more he knows and the more confident he is the better. Kids learn fast and in a year or two he will be very comfortable on his own.

CheesyLimper
10-23-2017, 03:31 PM
Sorry to hear you have a condition....
May I ask what it is? ....
I have recently been diagnosed with something called ankylosing spondylitis from an x-ray I had for another reason....
From what little I have read and gleaned from my doctor, it is a form of autoimmune disease where a protein is produced and causes an immune response that results in bones growing/attaching together...

To be honest I am a little hesitant to research it much more in case it is a rapidly progressing/debilitating condition (some fear factor!!!)...if it is a rapid one, I will have to make some tough choices about what to do with my remaining good health so I better stop putting it off....I saw my recently appointed rheumatologist, Dr Yang, a couple of months ago after my GP spotted the problem and Dr Yang wanted to put me on an experimental (in Canada) drug called Humera...you may have seen the commercial with 10 seconds about the benefits and 20 seconds about the bad possible side effects..
As I was not in pain at the time and so likely not dealing with inflammation that initiated the immune response I suggested that we wait until after my MRI before going on a drug for the rest of my life and she agreed...I just got a call a couple of days ago to get a date for my MRI (Mar 14 201 so I will research it soon

Advanced Osteoarthritis in both knees, at least one shoulder and posssibly some smaller joints. And as this was all self inflicted over the years, I appreciate any sympathies but they are unwarranted as I should a known better :tongue:

yama49
10-23-2017, 07:30 PM
Go for it carry a sat phone.. My sons first fly in was at 11, for stone sheep.. His first horseback hunt, was this year at 15, did great.

CheesyLimper
10-23-2017, 07:50 PM
Go for it carry a sat phone.. My sons first fly in was at 11, for stone sheep.. His first horseback hunt, was this year at 15, did great.
That's awesome. Did you go in a group for the fly in, or just the two of you?

Alfonz
10-23-2017, 08:16 PM
I took my 12 year old boy and a fly in sheep hunt and never thought twice. It. Really depends on the kid and how competent they are if they need to deal with stuff on their own. I spent time to show him how to make emergency communication if need be, and made sure they new how to cope with some moderate shit should it present itself.
Great memories, go!

tigrr
10-23-2017, 08:25 PM
At 10 I was hunting on my own. I don't see why with a little firearms training and some orienteering classes he should be good to go at 12.

scoutlt1
10-23-2017, 08:37 PM
Your answer lies in post #8.

All the best to you and your son!

walks with deer
10-23-2017, 08:39 PM
every kid is different get him out lots between now and then.will make them tougher later..

Bustercluck
10-23-2017, 08:49 PM
Im pretty sure I was 14 when I went goat hunting north of terrace with my uncle. It wasn't a fly in trip, but I had to pack my own frame and pack. I don't remember it being a big deal. I was in pretty good shape though, I was riding my bike down to the river in kitimat every day to go fishing.

I think of the food food we brought too. Cans of pork and beans, soup.

yama49
10-23-2017, 09:18 PM
That's awesome. Did you go in a group for the fly in, or just the two of you?

There was 3 of us, my brother was with us also. Just make sure he isn't overloaded so its uncomfortable. he took 27lbs my pack was 75 going in it that year hopefully he can repay the favour in a few years lol

Weatherby Fan
10-23-2017, 09:38 PM
As long as he can work a Sat Phone and or a Delorme Inreach to send messages in an emergency, knows basic first aid I’m sure he’s good to go, my Dad was dropping my older brother and I off for weekend camp outs when I was 8 and he was 12 all the time, we always made it home one way or another, kids learn really fast this day and age and are usually very tech savvy

Probably the worst part of our fly in was the bugs ! Get him out on a few weekend trips and If he can handle that shit he should be fine.

you probably know him Best.....so your judgement will suffice

swampthing
10-23-2017, 10:02 PM
It depends on your kid! My son started with me in the field at 4 years old. By 10 he was a great partner. He started backpacking at 14 and I trusted him with my life. Take a look at your kid? Some develop faster than others. I think you should take him!

fozzy
10-24-2017, 01:40 AM
Sorry to hear about your health issue. We never know what’s around the corner in life, must make everyday count. In 2014 I got cancer, this summer it came back so I’m spending a chunk of it doing a bone marrow transplant

When it comes time to do the trip with your Son maybe a 3rd person could go with you? A hunting partner or close friend

emerson
10-24-2017, 07:20 AM
Advanced Osteoarthritis in both knees, at least one shoulder and posssibly some smaller joints. And as this was all self inflicted over the years, I appreciate any sympathies but they are unwarranted as I should a known better :tongue:
My wife says get off sugar for a month to 6 weeks. She was a hardcore runner, both knees had surgery before 35. If she has any sugar her hips, knees, hands ache. I sure notice when she has fallen off the no-sugar wagon.

Dougielightning
10-24-2017, 07:34 PM
Took my 14 year old daughter on a tuchodi elk hunt. Jet boat in. She's been hunting since ten. Hiked maybe 100 km over 10 days and she did better than me, (and enjoyed the mountain house more than me too). She packed a 55 lb pack 8 Kms full of elk and my rifle. They sure do surprise you sometimes. We're already planning our next trip. I would not hesitate to take my younger daughters either. That is if they were so inclined. No better time spent than hiking camping, outdoors etc with the children. Doug

CheesyLimper
10-25-2017, 09:11 AM
Lots of good stuff, thanks for the replies everyone. We have inReach, GPS etc thanks to work and I will be showing him the basics of them over the winter. We live in a great spot where we can practice survival skills and orienteering in my "backyard", while still being exposed to bear/deer./moose, and camp out in woods in the snow, and still be able to walk back down to the house if need be. Should be a good winter.