PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Tundra & Tacoma - real world feedback

glennw89
10-21-2017, 05:16 PM
My 2006 Nissan Xterra is nearing the end and either a Tundra Double Cab or Tacoma Double Cab will likely be replacing it.

What sort of "real world" fuel mileage are you seeing (assuming stock"ish" tires, etc.)?

Folks find the Tacoma Double Cab roomy enough for gear storage and occasional passengers?

Any other relevant info that might not be immediately obvious after a brief test drive would be appreciated.

donny.brooke
10-21-2017, 05:23 PM
I have a 16 tacoma trd sport dclb with 265 70 17 tires and get 14L per 100kms average, thats highway, town and in the bush hunting. Lots of room in the back seat for gear and the odd passenger.

Drewtini
10-21-2017, 05:57 PM
I'd recommend getting the long box in either - I do fine on all but the worst condition roads for entry/exit angles, and the extra length has come in handy. I sleep out in it often, with a topper in winter, and the cargo space has saved me a few times.

There's all sorts of buzz about a diesel Taco for North America in 2018, and if that's true I'll be lining up. Years ago I drove a diesel Hilux overseas and my wife still reminds me to stop whining about giving it up.

Does anyone have beta on that?

Sharpish
10-21-2017, 06:17 PM
Mine is a 2012, so last generation. I can squeeze 11.9 L/100km on long haul highway trips. In the city it can be pretty bad, but not awful. Lots of short trips around the city, starting it cold and parking it after 15 minutes it drinks gas.

Mine is access cab. So the half size suicide doors. Kids and gear fit back there great.

The full 4 door long box is a land yacht. It's really long.

fuzzy
10-21-2017, 07:21 PM
I have 09 double cab trd long box. I have taken it places I shouldn't:) it was a compromise truck. Most double cab Toyota anythings have crappy payload so look out for that. The mileage is about what others are saying. No issues except front brakes x5 and a wheel bearing at 186 000k. If I were to get an all around Rd trip hunting truck it would be an access cab with 6' box with a canopy.The double cab is as long as my 04 sb crew cab dodge 3500 without the payload or towing capacity. From what i have seen of the Tundras despite being a good truck I would not get one as there mileage is not good and they don't have the payload i desire in a platform that size.

fuzzy

Ajsawden
10-21-2017, 07:28 PM
The mudflaps on the tacomas are too long, they hang up on EVERY cross ditch. I gotta find replacements as I tore mine off last weekend. Other than that I enjoy the Taco. It gets better hunting mileage than my ranger did.

Bear Chaser
10-21-2017, 07:31 PM
The Tundra mileage is not great. I think about the same as my 06 350 ford diesel except with way smaller tank and obviously less towing and payload. However compared to the 1 tons they are quite nimble and much better ride. Mine has better than 300k km on it and no major repairs needed. Doubtful that a Ford, Dodge or GM would be as reliable given some of the roads I drive for work.

selvir
10-21-2017, 10:04 PM
I have 2013 Xterra Pro4 X, and they are all including Tacoma and Tundra Gas Guzzlers
I am lining up for the new F150 Diesel even the new Colorado ZR2 Diesel i hear is great too

Good2bCanadian
10-21-2017, 10:14 PM
2015 Tundra TRD DC 6.5ft bed, 33.5" tires, 2.5"fr and 1.5" rear lift, heavy foot, short trips, 18.5l/100km.
Hwy 15.5l/100 or better.
Towing flat deck, 2 quads, and a bed full of gear and 2 moose 19.5L/100km average over 2200km.
45,000km trouble free so far.
Has tons of power.
Covers FSRs like butter.
I love this truck.

Wish it had the 2016 Larger gas tank for those long day trips.

One of the most dependable trucks on the road IMO

tangozulu
10-21-2017, 10:28 PM
2007 longbox crew absolute make is 450 km per tank if kept at 90 km per hr.

landphil
10-21-2017, 10:54 PM
2008 Tundra 5.7L, with tow package (4.30 gears) my average mixed driving from over the summer is around 15L/100 KM with stock rubber, and I averaged as bad as 18L/100 last winter with 275/70R18's (10PR) and lots of very short trips where it didn't reach operating temp, and warm up time to defrost.

I've gotten 13.2 on two separate long highway trips, owned it a year, zero issues in that time and it's over 200,000Km. Power is abundant, smooth, and the 6spd auto transmission is solid.

Had 2006 Tacoma doublecab 4L 6spd manual with 10 ply 235/85R16's on it, I could get 12.5L/100 on the highway, but it's average wasn't much better than the Tundra. I only miss the Tacoma off the pavement for it's narrower stance, nimbleness and better clearance / approach angles, but then I can fit my quad in the back of the tundra with the tailgate closed, so... And for as big as it is, the Tundra is pretty darn agile.

I owned the Tacoma 6.5 years, and loved it. I had intended to keep it much longer, but a novice driver brought it to an abrupt end, and even then, I have to say I was very impressed with it as I walked from that horrible wreck.

Dollar for dollar, the Tundra is a heck of a lot more truck though, and I'm more than happy with it. For both, there is a good reason why you see so many around, yet so few for sale.

RambleOn
10-21-2017, 11:51 PM
Went from 2006 xterra to tundra. Tundra is an awesome truck, gas and oil changes, eventually breaks. Super solid truck and built to last. Tacos are great but smaller and not as nice of a ride. Tundra is also much more capable as a tow vehicle.

The Hermit
10-22-2017, 12:06 AM
I've been driving a Frontier for about 12 years and although it has been a great little truck it is starting to cost in maintenance and repairs. It just turned 100,000 MILES so needed the timing belt kit, and a rebuild on the rear end OUCH... about $6K by the time the fat lady sang. As you know the fuel economy totally sucks but really other than that great truck for what it is.

Having said all that my next truck will be a half ton or better. I find that the small trucks just don't cut it when loaded with a full trailer vs mountain passes. So in the Toyota the only one I'd consider is the Tundra. I'll be looking into a Nissan Titan and comparing that to the RAM 2500. I don't need the diesel package often enough to warrant the added cost and maintenance so it will be a gasser. Hopefully next spring.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do. I hate spending money on vehicles.

Chopper
10-22-2017, 12:07 AM
Absolutely love my 07 tundra, 230,000km curently and drives like its new ... i get 400km out of about 73 liters in town

my boat on its trailor is about 9300lbs, when i pull it my consumption litterally tripples ...

Squamch
10-22-2017, 08:10 AM
Wife drives an 08 trd sport crew cab long box. Tons of short trips, but she doesn't haul anything other than a stroller and the odd piece of furniture. Gets 14-18L/100km depending on who's driving. Has plenty of room in the back for the in laws when they visit, and the back seat is spacious too.
The three piece tonneau cover is a piece of shit that always bends and leaks in the middle section.
It's a small, maneuverable truck compared to my f350 xtra cab long box, but it's not like it's hard to park that either. Some folks just can't drive.

Blockcaver
10-22-2017, 08:11 AM
I've been driving a Frontier for about 12 years and although it has been a great little truck it is starting to cost in maintenance and repairs. It just turned 100,000 MILES so needed the timing belt kit, and a rebuild on the rear end OUCH... about $6K by the time the fat lady sang. As you know the fuel economy totally sucks but really other than that great truck for what it is.

Having said all that my next truck will be a half ton or better. I find that the small trucks just don't cut it when loaded with a full trailer vs mountain passes. So in the Toyota the only one I'd consider is the Tundra. I'll be looking into a Nissan Titan and comparing that to the RAM 2500. I don't need the diesel package often enough to warrant the added cost and maintenance so it will be a gasser. Hopefully next spring.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do. I hate spending money on vehicles.

Hermit, be aware of the Nissan radiator/transmission cooler issue if you have an automatic. We just changed out the unit on out ‘08 Xterra as preventative maintenance. About $1200 versus 5x that much if you get a “pink milkshake” in the tranny. Good luck with it. On another note my ‘04 Titan was great for 250,000 km, then ate my lunch money for the last 80,000 km and 3 years. Good engine and tranny, the rest was constantly failing.

firebird
10-22-2017, 08:27 AM
The 2017 tundra get 13L/100km stock- my dad has one. My wife has a 2014 tundra and gets 15L/100km with duratracs. And I've got a 2011 tundra 4" lift on 35" coopers and I get 17L/100, that's running around hunting hounds.

Ive got just over 200,000km and only done the breaks 1nce and changed the oil and greased my driveline.

My dad had an 2008 tundra prior to the 2017. No issues for 8 years. Not even rust or ball joints, u joints.

They tow like a 3/4 ton.

KBC
10-22-2017, 09:04 AM
Hermit, be aware of the Nissan radiator/transmission cooler issue if you have an automatic. We just changed out the unit on out ‘08 Xterra as preventative maintenance. About $1200 versus 5x that much if you get a “pink milkshake” in the tranny. Good luck with it. On another note my ‘04 Titan was great for 250,000 km, then ate my lunch money for the last 80,000 km and 3 years. Good engine and tranny, the rest was constantly failing.
I think that problem was only in the 2005-2007 Xterras and Frontiers.

Im following this thread, it's almost time to retire my 2001 Xterra.

whognu
10-22-2017, 09:25 AM
hi folks:

I had a new 09 trd taco 4 door log box -- cost about 42k all in

no idea what L/km's mean.......I get 20 miles to the gallon - which is shameful given the Japanese could likely double that

when I tow my 15 ft trailer over the coq it gets to about 14 MPG (sweet)

the mud flaps are rigid and a joke and currently one is AWOL and another is just hanging by a suggestion (I have a supply of zap straps) - need to source some that have flexible lowers

only problem with the 09 was a wheel bearing went at 100k (apparently not a "common occurrence"....blah blah blah)

traded that one in 14 for a new 2014 one; exact same truck - they even switched the canopy

thus the beauty of Toyota ---- 5.5 years + 110kms + a cheque for 20k = new truck

resale value and few repairs really pay off in the mid - long term

overall they do not add bells and whistles like the others, yet seems to me that they have less problems too

the new ones I find ugly yet I will buy another one in a couple years

chris

lip_ripper00
10-22-2017, 10:01 AM
my daily commuter is a 2016 Toyota Land cruiser P/U diesel, man if I could get one of these in Canada i'd be a happy man.

Pacemaker
10-22-2017, 10:40 AM
Back in 2007 I bought a brand new Tundra TRD double cab down in the U.S. when a dollar was still a dollar. I put over a 125,000 Miles on it (200,00 ++ Kms) on it before it was wrecked in an accident last summer. I do a lot of back woods driving while out fishing and hunting, and it never let me down. I always ran 10PR Toyo M55's on it, plus had a 3 inch levelling kit installed plus really good Firestone airbags in the back. It was always loaded with something or other, and I easily got 20 MPG on the hwy, just by keeping my foot off the floor and doing the speed limit. It was an extremely reliable truck, and very comfortable. That combination of levelling kit, airbags, and really good 10 PR tires resulted in truck that had very nimble off-road capabilities when going through cross ditches etc. As a previous person on here noted, the angles of attack and exit are very good, and those trucks will just about go anywhere. When it came time to get a new truck to replace the old one, it was an easy decision to get another similar one. I now have a 2017 Tundra Double Cab TRD with the same 3 inch levelling kit, airbags and Toyo M55's. Again, it easily gets the same 20 MPG, and now with Toyota's new 144 L fuel tank, it goes a long way on the hwy between pit stops. There may well be other makes and models of trucks out there that do a few various things better than a Toyota, such as gas mileage, but when it comes to the overall package IMHO there are very few that have it all and Toyota wins that battle. Not only does a person want and need a truck that will get you back into the "boonies", but you really want one that will then get you back home at the end of the day. That is where Toyota and it's known reliability really shines. IMHO

jlirot
10-22-2017, 07:27 PM
Love my 2016 Taco. Great for everything - but gas mileage. It's fine unless i'm doing 75+ on the freeway. Otherwise I'm getting 18+ mpgs.

GEF
10-23-2017, 07:46 AM
2014 Tundra stock 275 65 18 ,14l /100kms stay below 100kmh and you can even do better. Excellent 4x4 and ride .Had Dodge cummins before,there is no comparison as a 4x4.

bigredchev
10-23-2017, 08:35 AM
My hunting partner had a Tacoma 4cyl 5 speed and it wasent anything to write home about. Off road it was very impressive, I've owned lots of full-size domestic trucks and this toyota was a sure footed Billy goat off road.

I didn't like the small cab though

mike31154
10-23-2017, 11:45 PM
I have the 4 cyl Taco with 5 spd as well, good fuel economy but certainly not a hauler. Great offroad as mentioned in previous post. Works for me, fuel price will never go down & I can live with less horsepower.

mike31154
10-23-2017, 11:57 PM
my daily commuter is a 2016 Toyota Land cruiser P/U diesel, man if I could get one of these in Canada i'd be a happy man.
Won't be a 2016, but there are Japanese diesel imports available. I picked up a 1992 JDM Hilux Surf years ago. Was my main ride for years . 2LTE engine had issues though, should have done my homework prior to purchase.

mike31154
10-24-2017, 12:07 AM
The mudflaps on the tacomas are too long, they hang up on EVERY cross ditch. I gotta find replacements as I tore mine off last weekend. Other than that I enjoy the Taco. It gets better hunting mileage than my ranger did.
I can relate, tore off both left side flaps backing up over a stump. I recovered them though & bought the hardware to remount. Plastic plugs with a few bolts, seems like
designed to pull out without damaging any sheet metal. Pricey bits of hardware but I like the added protection the flaps provide.

Stresd
10-24-2017, 07:16 AM
2016 Tacoma Trd OR AC, Manual Tranny. Factory 4:30 Locker. Has been an excellent truck. 265/75/16 Duratrac's. low 13L per 100k on a trip to Osoyoos or Cache Creek. Low 15's around town. Don't baby it as i am really heavy on the Gas pedal. Recent trip up north was getting 16.8 per 100k towing my trailer and 8 Wheel Argo. Not the best, but then I didn't buy my truck for its gas mileage or lack thereof.

Squamch
10-24-2017, 07:19 AM
Won't be a 2016, but there are Japanese diesel imports available. I picked up a 1992 JDM Hilux Surf years ago. Was my main ride for years . 2LTE engine had issues though, should have done my homework prior to purchase.

With a little love the older 2lt engine are awesome. A buddy has an 82 pickup that's been swapped, and on 31s with 4.56 gears, a little turn up and a straight pipe it rocks! At also seems like animals are less spooked by a small diesel.

Linksman313
10-24-2017, 09:32 AM
2014 Tundra stock 275 65 18 ,14l /100kms stay below 100kmh and you can even do better. Excellent 4x4 and ride .Had Dodge cummins before,there is no comparison as a 4x4.

You can say that again!!
watched a 2016 Taco's front end explode after hitting a WT fawn doing 80k outside town yesterday afternoon. Stopped and checked, driver/passenger fine (all airbags deployed) but truck is done, driver (male - hunter) super pissed that his main rig is smoked, glad he kept his '88 Taco out back. Had a good look at truck waiting for Tow to show, impact had no effect on cab (other than bags) and appeared to be well designed in the safety department. Would feel comfortable putting the wife and 3 year old in it anyday.

landphil
10-24-2017, 11:04 AM
You can say that again!!
watched a 2016 Taco's front end explode after hitting a WT fawn doing 80k outside town yesterday afternoon. Stopped and checked, driver/passenger fine (all airbags deployed) but truck is done, driver (male - hunter) super pissed that his main rig is smoked, glad he kept his '88 Taco out back. Had a good look at truck waiting for Tow to show, impact had no effect on cab (other than bags) and appeared to be well designed in the safety department. Would feel comfortable putting the wife and 3 year old in it anyday.

Change that deer for the side of a Hyundai Sonata at the same speed and results are pretty much the same. No broken windshield, only slight buckling of the floor from the frame being diamond at least 2".

Linksman313
10-24-2017, 01:00 PM
Change that deer for the side of a Hyundai Sonata at the same speed and results are pretty much the same. No broken windshield, only slight buckling of the floor from the frame being diamond at least 2".

I totally agree
They have come leaps and bounds in the direction of safety in these new era Taco's! I would not want to see the results of same collision with my old high-schooler built 83 Ranger!

the hopper
10-25-2017, 10:07 PM
I had a 2009 access cab with the 2.7l 4cyl.
Awesome utility truck. Some minor suspension upgrades 265/75 r16 tires and airbags.
it did firewood missions, hauled my sled all winter. And was my main hunting rig. Never had an issue.
Sold it 6 years and 120kms later for only 5k less then I bought it for.... The resale alone is reason to buy one haha.

Now I have a 2017 doublecab mini van version Tacoma.
I like it too... added airbags they are pretty much mandatory if you ever haul anything at all.
havent noticed the extra 18 inches of length yet and shortly I’ll raise the front 2 inches and the back 1. Should be good to go.
I average about 11l/100km slightly less then the 4 banger.

I debated long and hard about maybe jumping into a tundra.
But in the end, there were 4 main things

I don’t haul regularly enough and the taco can do it when asked.
The resale on on the taco can’t be beat
the aftermarket support for the taco is insane
and tacomaworld.com has literally saved me thousands of dollars solving simple problems like how to reprogram a key fob when you replace the battery in it etc, and makes it easy to get real info about what works and what doesn’t in the aftermarket parts department.

Happy shopping!

REMINGTON JIM
10-25-2017, 10:42 PM
I have worked for the BIG 3 NA companies ! BUT my NEXT 1/2 ton if i buy one will be a TOYOTA ! The others are CRAP ! jmo RJ

BgBlkDg
10-26-2017, 06:30 AM
My sentiments, exactly. My Taco, bought Aug. 28/14 and carefully modded to my specs at Capit here in Abby, is a simply awesome vehicle, will do mountain trips on the worst, old Kootenay roads with esse and is quite nice on the highway and even in LM traffic.

I have spent major coin on building an SR5 into my "dream" truck and it is 95% complete. I am actually in awe of what this little rig will do and I have driven about every 4x4 available since a 1946 Jeep and 1951 Land Rover, even a Uni_Mog. I wouldn't buy domestic iron, the QC is just not there, IME.

firebird
10-26-2017, 06:51 AM
I have worked for the BIG 3 NA companies ! BUT my NEXT 1/2 ton if i buy one will be a TOYOTA ! The others are CRAP ! jmo RJ

My father inlaw works for Format/Magna and is an engineer. He sets up the new assembly lines (when they change models) for a GM truck plant and a Ford plant that make the truck frames. And another plant that forms A pillars and other body parts. He's worked for them over 30 years and he will not buy a GM or Ford truck because he says he's seen all the cheeping out, and says the 1/2 ton GM and Ford trucks are just oversized cars, frame and all. He's still driving his 1997 GMC 1/2 ton cause he's refused to buy a new pickup because of it BUT says when he does it will be a TUNDRA.

My family has had fleet trucks since the late 1960s, always GM (the odd dodge) 1/2 and 3/4 tons, gas and diesel up until 2007. The last GM was a 2007 1/2 ton that was a complete lemon-- A arms/ball joints, u joints, wheel bearings, breaks, window motors, fuel injectors, thin paint around the rear wheel wells and tail lights, broken rear leaf springs, and random electrical issues including throttle body and going into limp mode. It was a complete nightmare, got lucky it was a 4 speed transmission because i know some guys had problems with the 6 speeds.

When the full size Tundra came out we started buying Toyotas, have 5 now and the biggest issue being the XM radio antenna wasn't connected in the one 2014 lol

off topic but the RAV4s are great too.

mike31154
10-26-2017, 07:12 AM
You folks so passionately anti NA trucks are aware most Tacomas & all Tundras sold in NA are built in a plant in San AntonioTexas? Remaining Tacos made in Mexico.....

BgBlkDg
10-26-2017, 07:25 AM
So what? Nobody is saying that "North Americans" cannot or have never built good 4x4s, the comments seem to compare Toys to current "Big Three" production and this is problematic.

The Toyotas, I have owned and others in my family since circa 1970, have consistently been outstanding in performance, value and utility, so, I favour them. Simple, really.

mike31154
10-26-2017, 07:29 AM
With a little love the older 2lt engine are awesome. A buddy has an 82 pickup that's been swapped, and on 31s with 4.56 gears, a little turn up and a straight pipe it rocks! At also seems like animals are less spooked by a small diesel.
Well due to it's age and a host of issues my Surf is off the road at the moment. It's a great little rig but after an injector pump leak November 2013 was the catalyst to purchase my '14 Taco, it became a winter beater, rode hard, put away wet. Debating whether cost effective to fix up now. A 'little love' in my case has meant a cracked head. Starting to overheat again on drives up Silver Star road.

firebird
10-26-2017, 08:38 AM
You folks so passionately anti NA frucks are aware most Tacomas & all Tundras sold in NA are built in a plant in San AntonioTexas? Remaining Tacos made in Mexico.....

Yep! My wife's got a 1794 model. I guess the Toyota plant is on one of the first ranches established in 1794.

Stresd
10-26-2017, 10:36 AM
Yep! My wife's got a 1794 model. I guess the Toyota plant is on one of the first ranches established in 1794.

You got it right. Brief history below. My 2016 Tacoma was built there as well.

http://www.toyotatexas.com/images/stories/page_headers/we-are-toyota.gif
The Best Texas Has to Offer

Cutting edge technology, hard work and, determination combine to make an award-winning vehicle unlike any other.
Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas, Inc. (TMMTX) is the home of the Toyota Tundra and Tacoma pickup trucks - built in the Southside of San Antonio!
Our plant received the 2008 J.D. Power and Associates Silver award for Assembly Plant Quality in North and South America. This is a first-of-its-kind honor for a Toyota plant in its first year of production operation.
Founded on Texas Tradition

From horses and cattle to horsepower and trucks, the oldest working ranch in Texas becomes the first Texas pickup truck automotive plant.
Few places are as linked to the history of San Antonio and early Texas as the JLC Ranch.
In 1794, a young colonist from the Canary Islands, Juan Ignacio de Casanova, received a royal grant for a league of rolling pastureland between Leon Creek and the Medina River. On this fertile land, he established El Rancho de la Purisima Concepcion, and later expanded his holdings to more than 24,000 acres.
Ignacio later defended San Antonio from Mexican revolutionary forces attempting to break away from Spain. He served briefly as the Spanish Provincial Governor of Texas before his death in October 1823. His son, Jose Ignacio Perez continued to ranch the land.
During the Texas Revolution, Perez remained loyal to the Mexican Government, moving his family to property along the Rio Grande. He continued to pay taxes on the ranch, which helped him reclaim the land when he returned in 1846.
The Texas Republic recognized only the original land grant of 4,000 acres. This was passed on to Perez's descendants as the JLC Ranch until it was acquired by Toyota in 2003.
Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas, Inc. purchased 2,600 acres of this ranchland south of downtown San Antonio. After donating 600 acres to the City of San Antonio to create greenspace along Leon Creek and the Medina River, Toyota broke ground in 2003 and began operations in 2006, forever linking the ancient family histories of Juan Ignacio de Casanova and Sakichi Toyod

Squamch
10-26-2017, 12:48 PM
Well due to it's age and a host of issues my Surf is off the road at the moment. It's a great little rig but after an injector pump leak November 2013 was the catalyst to purchase my '14 Taco, it became a winter beater, rode hard, put away wet. Debating whether cost effective to fix up now. A 'little love' in my case has meant a cracked head. Starting to overheat again on drives up Silver Star road.

Yep. A lot of guys think diesel means power these days...those things were never race cars, they're fuel efficient get-ya-where-youre-going machines. The one I mentioned I think has the pump turned up a bit, a straight pipe, and some intake work. Basically a day in the shop and it'll cruise the malahat happily.
I think you said you have an LTE motor, which is somewhat different than the mechanical LT.

As to the 1794 model...the GC I work for showed up in one yesterday. Damn that's a nice truck. He's run fleets of trucks for parks crews and bush work, says Toyota is the way to go in his experience.

mike31154
10-26-2017, 10:50 PM
Yep. A lot of guys think diesel means power these days...those things were never race cars, they're fuel efficient get-ya-where-youre-going machines. The one I mentioned I think has the pump turned up a bit, a straight pipe, and some intake work. Basically a day in the shop and it'll cruise the malahat happily.
I think you said you have an LTE motor, which is somewhat different than the mechanical LT.

As to the 1794 model...the GC I work for showed up in one yesterday. Damn that's a nice truck. He's run fleets of trucks for parks crews and bush work, says Toyota is the way to go in his experience.
The LTE engine is the same as the LT, difference is in the injector pump control, LTE is electronic, older LT mechanical. Bad head design on '91-'92 models, most crack after about 150000 k. They redesigned for later models, slightly larger engines too after that.

Squamch
10-27-2017, 06:17 AM
The LTE engine is the same as the LT, difference is in the injector pump control, LTE is electronic, older LT mechanical. Bad head design on '91-'92 models, most crack after about 150000 k. They redesigned for later models, slightly larger engines too after that.

Yep, like I said, slightly different. I'm not sure what year my buddy's motor is, but he's got a spare sitting in case this one pops. Come to think of it, it may be a bigger turbo too...whatever it is, it sounds great and works great too.

KBC
10-27-2017, 07:41 AM
You folks so passionately anti NA frucks are aware most Tacomas & all Tundras sold in NA are built in a plant in San AntonioTexas? Remaining Tacos made in Mexico.....
That doesn't mean Japanese design isn't superior or they don't have the superior quality control standards.

Ruger.270
10-27-2017, 08:00 AM
Any insight into whether the sport model or the off-road model (Tacoma) is better on the newer years? I know the different features, wondering about real-world ride and functionality. Heard the sport suspension is too stiff for logging road travel.

Hoping to get into one of these in the relatively near future, but haven't taken any for a test drive yet.

bcexmod
10-27-2017, 08:06 AM
I run a 2016 Tacoma trd with a 6speed manual(4 door version). Average 11.5 l/100km. Very nice truck, but the short box is .... short. When all is said and done, I leased mine 14-15 months ago, and it's worth more than what I owe. Overall I'd give it a 8.5-9 out of 10. Fuel economy and the short box(no long box for manual) are it's short comings. The rest is positive.

Sharpish
10-27-2017, 08:16 AM
Any insight into whether the sport model or the off-road model (Tacoma) is better on the newer years? I know the different features, wondering about real-world ride and functionality. Heard the sport suspension is too stiff for logging road travel.

Hoping to get into one of these in the relatively near future, but haven't taken any for a test drive yet.

the only difference is the shocks. Both are fleet quality shocks, so you won't notice a profound difference. My older OR also has progressive springs in the front, not sure if the new ones are the same.

Its mostly marketing and a sticker. Aside from some differences in the braking system and electronics and a rear locker. Buy whichever one is on the lot in the colour you like.

Stresd
10-27-2017, 11:19 AM
The 3rd Gen Sport has a much firmer suspension than the Trd Off Road. Sport Rides much harsher when offroad. OR has Bilstein shocks and the Sport has Hitachi shocks. Sway bar size is also different between the two trucks.
When quys lift their OR'ds their suspension throw aways are snapped up by Sport owners.
I also love my Oem Locker which the sport does not have.

More bang for your buck in the purchase of an OR model over a Sport in my opinion

Quote From TW
Drive a kidney jarring sport around all day and then jump in an offroad.....it will feel like your riding on a feather bed with marshmallow wheels

jlirot
10-27-2017, 01:53 PM
Also be aware that there is a lot of hate for the auto tranny. Mine sucked for nearly 10K MILES. Then it got broken in and no longer shifts willy nilly. Totally tractable now. I wasn't sure for the first 5-8K miles on it.

ElectricDyck
10-27-2017, 02:57 PM
2013 tundra owner..tons of power, lousy fuel economy..traction control is awesome, tip toes up loose or icy sections with ease, tunrns off in low range for some reason? and then slides all over...stock rear bumper is a damage multiplier as rear quarter panel is attached and if you back into anything the quarter is gone too..pain in the ass doing oil changes as you need to pull a bunch of crap off first..brakes are awesome, trailer brakes stopped working and went down huge grade on logging road overloaded like a boss....added air bags, when you put 1000lbs in the box and tow 7000lbs its a bit bouncy..

Had a 91 diesel landcruiser previously....will never own another diesel or turbo vehicle again...too expensive to maintain and you have to wait for the turbo to get power..

I also own a 2014 chevy for work and although I really like the way the engine/transmission works everything else on the toyota trucks just seem to be over engineered and of better attention to detail.....

Only negative is fuel economy and price..

glennw89
10-27-2017, 08:47 PM
Update

I test drove the Tacoma (Double Cab TRD Automatic) and Tundra (Double Cab TRD). Tacoma underwhelmed me for a vehicle the dealer wanted $48 k for taxes in. It just didn't feel like a vehicle worth nearly $50k. The Tundra felt like an extremely solid vehicle, but the price tag of nearly $57 k taxes in and the well documented poor fuel economy give me pause.

I took a new "leftover" 2017 F-150 (Crew Cab) for a test drive today. The dealer wanted about $47 k taxes in - less than the Tacoma. I know Toyotas have a sterling reputation, but the Tacoma left me a bit cold despite being the sort of truck (midsize, roof rack available, etc.) that I would ideally design.

Tough to know ...

REMINGTON JIM
10-27-2017, 09:07 PM
Update

I test drove the Tacoma (Double Cab TRD Automatic) and Tundra (Double Cab TRD). Tacoma underwhelmed me for a vehicle the dealer wanted $48 k for taxes in. It just didn't feel like a vehicle worth nearly $50k. The Tundra felt like an extremely solid vehicle, but the price tag of nearly $57 k taxes in and the well documented poor fuel economy give me pause.

I took a new "leftover" 2017 F-150 (Crew Cab) for a test drive today. The dealer wanted about $47 k taxes in - less than the Tacoma. I know Toyotas have a sterling reputation, but the Tacoma left me a bit cold despite being the sort of truck (midsize, roof rack available, etc.) that I would ideally design.

Tough to know ...

Buy EXTENDED warranty you will need it ! :tongue: I sell Ford Parts every day I would not own one Myself ! jmo RJ

Ruger.270
10-28-2017, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the advice re sport vs. off-road. Looks like I'll have to take an off-road for a test-drive!

donny.brooke
10-28-2017, 04:41 PM
Buy the sport and put bilstein 5100 shocks in it if you want the dclb option. I did this and truck handles amazing offroad.

glennw89
10-28-2017, 06:57 PM
I drove them all again today. Tundra is the "best truck - for the most money", but the Tacoma checks more boxes for me I think (narrower, 6 foot box, factory roof rack rails, enough room for gear in the Double Cab). Zero deals on them and the financing rates are pretty high too - guess that is what demand does ...

REMINGTON JIM
10-29-2017, 10:52 AM
I drove them all again today. Tundra is the "best truck - for the most money", but the Tacoma checks more boxes for me I think (narrower, 6 foot box, factory roof rack rails, enough room for gear in the Double Cab). Zero deals on them and the financing rates are pretty high too - guess that is what demand does ...

SO i am NOT surprised - Have you test drove the GM and Rams too ? For getting the COST which truck would you rate #1 of all those you have test drivin ? RJ

MichelD
10-29-2017, 11:07 AM
I've got a 2015 access cab Tacoma with the four cylinder engine.

MY only complaint is the high geared reverse. I get a burnt clutch smell nearly every time I use it.

Toyota dealership and service centre claim they've never heard of such an issue, though it is mentioned on line on Tacoma World.

glennw89
10-29-2017, 01:08 PM
SO i am NOT surprised - Have you test drove the GM and Rams too ? For getting the COST which truck would you rate #1 of all those you have test drivin ? RJ

I have not test drove the GM. Not interested in the Ram due to past experience experience with Chrysler/Jeep products.

Tundra hands down. Rock solid feel, strong engine, Double Cab is a good compromise between extended and crew cab. Only downside is no factory roof rack rail as the Tacoma does - roof rack is important for me as I do a lot of paddling (whitewater kayaking, etc.) Plus the fuel economy sucks compared to the other two.

Squamch
10-29-2017, 01:31 PM

Off-road has a rear locker, and better skidplates. Sport is a cosmetic package.

thick
10-29-2017, 01:41 PM
I own an '08 tundra with the double cab. I avg 17l/100km since I've owned it- that's mainly town, bush and towing my boat. Don't do a lot of highway driving. I too debated with the Tacoma vs tundra- I am very glad I went with the tundra. Tacomas are too small for me inside, the narrow advantage of the Tacoma is a moot point for me, Unless I lived in Vancouver. I can get my Tundra every where I ever need to in the bush, maybe once in a blue moon would I wish my truck was narrower. The minimal width difference is not a selling point for me. Use full size pickups in the bush for work and they go everywhere we need. I have taken 5 full size guys on a 5 hr road trip with no issue, I couldn't do that in the Tacoma. As far as fuel economy goes, how many km do you actually drive in a year? Avg person does 20,000. Some of my friends with F150s avg 14l/100km under similar driving as me. So 20,000/100 X 3 extra litres/km = me using an extra 600l of fuel per year than if I had an F150. X $1.20/l =$720 extra in fuel per year. $720 a year is easily burned up in the extra mechanical repairs they have had over the years. I have done only maintenance. Unless you are driving 50-100k/yr I feel like the extra gas is more than saved in repairs and in future re-sale. Tacoma would be the same as tundra for resale but the comfort of the larger cab outweighs the fuel savings in my mind. I could still get over $20k for my truck if I sold it today, can't say the same for a domestic in the same condition.

10-29-2017, 06:46 PM
Not to be an a-hole but my old cummins is into the 11s litre, the Taco is the size of my box what gives.Not saying there bad trucks but for what you pay

Squamch
10-29-2017, 07:26 PM
Not to be an a-hole but my old cummins is into the 11s litre, the Taco is the size of my box what gives.Not saying there bad trucks but for what you pay

Not to be an a hole, but it's a dodge not a cummins. The Cummins is just a motor. Not to be an a hole, but "into the 11s litre" makes no sense at all. Not to be an a hole, but the taco is significantly bigger than the box on a dodge.

10-30-2017, 06:08 PM
Yah samsquach I know what kind of truck it is, I have been driving it for over half a million kms.Into the 11s means avg somewhere in the 11/100km range. I guess you dont know how to take something with a grain of salt about the Tacos size.There hope you can now sleep at night

Squamch
10-30-2017, 07:21 PM
I sleep great. And I know how to take things with a grain of salt, like a dodge driver talking about mileage:roll:

10-31-2017, 05:02 PM
If your calling me a liar then I guess your the a-hole.Done with you

bigredchev
11-01-2017, 07:34 AM
Comparing a toyota Tacoma to a dodge one tone pickup is like saying my 223 is better than my 338win mag.... two very different applications and uses...

I'm a ford suprrduty guy most of my life but the Toyota's are a life time owner truck and excellent off road. I don't think anyone in a toyota brags about fuel mileage, unless it's a prius

firebird
11-01-2017, 08:27 AM
I have not test drove the GM. Not interested in the Ram due to past experience experience with Chrysler/Jeep products.

Tundra hands down. Rock solid feel, strong engine, Double Cab is a good compromise between extended and crew cab. Only downside is no factory roof rack rail as the Tacoma does - roof rack is important for me as I do a lot of paddling (whitewater kayaking, etc.) Plus the fuel economy sucks compared to the other two.

My Dads 2017 tundra crewmax gets 13L/100km I wouldn't consider that bad at all.

Wifes 2014 1794 gets 15L/100km with Duratracs. And my 2011 platinum get 17.5-18L/100km lifted and 35s.

not sure about the Fords but a friend has a new GM 1500 and its gets 13L/100km aswell

firebird
11-01-2017, 08:28 AM
I own an '08 tundra with the double cab. I avg 17l/100km since I've owned it- that's mainly town, bush and towing my boat. Don't do a lot of highway driving. I too debated with the Tacoma vs tundra- I am very glad I went with the tundra. Tacomas are too small for me inside, the narrow advantage of the Tacoma is a moot point for me, Unless I lived in Vancouver. I can get my Tundra every where I ever need to in the bush, maybe once in a blue moon would I wish my truck was narrower. The minimal width difference is not a selling point for me. Use full size pickups in the bush for work and they go everywhere we need. I have taken 5 full size guys on a 5 hr road trip with no issue, I couldn't do that in the Tacoma. As far as fuel economy goes, how many km do you actually drive in a year? Avg person does 20,000. Some of my friends with F150s avg 14l/100km under similar driving as me. So 20,000/100 X 3 extra litres/km = me using an extra 600l of fuel per year than if I had an F150. X $1.20/l =$720 extra in fuel per year. $720 a year is easily burned up in the extra mechanical repairs they have had over the years. I have done only maintenance. Unless you are driving 50-100k/yr I feel like the extra gas is more than saved in repairs and in future re-sale. Tacoma would be the same as tundra for resale but the comfort of the larger cab outweighs the fuel savings in my mind. I could still get over $20k for my truck if I sold it today, can't say the same for a domestic in the same condition.

Good way to weigh in on fuel mileage vs repairs!

11-01-2017, 05:42 PM
The pouint I was trying to make is,yes the are good rigs,but for the size of a Taco the fuel mileage is dissappointing and the prices on them are more than I personally think there worth

WWBC
11-01-2017, 06:34 PM
My Vote is Tundra over Tacoma. Bigger truck, more payload and towing capacity for similar mileage.
It doesn't take much to over load a half ton ( tundra) depending on what your doing so for that reason I think the Taco is too small.

#49 - I agree: its crazy the fuel economy of some one tons especially under load compared to little trucks.

Kevin So
11-04-2017, 10:31 AM
1998 tacoma TRD off road. 3.4 v6. 460K and I get roughly 16 to 19L/100km depending on what I am doing (not stock tires, 10 x 31" so probably a little better than 16-19/100km). Had a 89 3.0 v6 before and by the end I was getting really poor mileage at 560K on the engine and some serious wear on the engine.

Arctic Lake
03-31-2021, 08:23 AM
My Toyota 4x4 pickup is getting tired 1990 3VZ engine ,5 speed,Extra Cab 300,000 K on it . I need to put some money into it . Valve cover gaskets. Tune up . One small dent and one little bit of surface rust . Maybe a bit of paint. Couple of other things . So It needs a bit of work.
I’m thinking maybe buy a newer used one , if you can find a good condition used one !
I have been looking on You Tube at the 2021 man they are sweet , really like some of the colours,
Army Green,Cement,Lunar Rock . So many models to choose from Kripes . I like manual tranny but you can only get that option in the short box . I like the 6 foot box, I can stretch out in that with a couple of inches to spare . The TRD Off Road seems like a good model then maybe do some mods after rather than going with the TRD Pro. I guess you can build one the way you like from the ground up. If I bought new it will last me until I’m done driving . Just letting some thoughts go ....
Thanks
Arctic Lake

MZac
03-31-2021, 09:17 AM
I'm quite excited about the rumored 2022 Tundra re-design. If you're considering a new truck and not in a big rush I would wait for the details this summer/fall. I'm in the market to replace a 2003 Mazda truck but in no rush and suspect the tundra may be out next truck.

wideopenthrottle
03-31-2021, 09:42 AM
tried to get a trd offroad in mid 2020 but none available...ordered and waited for a 2021 TRD off road in army green- I hate the fake air scoop so no sport for me...suspension is soft...softer and more bouncy than my 05 4runner LTD but the 4 runner had the Yamaha x-rias suspension and rode like a dream.

only frustration is with the tranny shifting too soon but in ECT ( towing and extra power) mode it seems fine. i will upgrade tires eventually ...still cant decide on a canopy or not..tonneau and/or rack system...

Gas milage varies hugely depending on how much lead is in your boot....

surprised how few bells and whistles the taco has compared to the old 05 4runner (but the 4runner was an LTD). Things in the 05 4runner that are not in the 2021 taco TRD offroad are: 17 inch wheels( they come on the sport though), a 2nd sun visor, laser pointer on the speedo needle, super smooth shifting auto tranny, 110v plug in in the center consul, passenger side power seats, hidden second compartment in the glove box, spare change holder, solid built door assembly, running boards, beefy skid plates..... basic is good in my books though

....some things on the new taco TRD off road not on the 05 4runner ltd include: crawl control, telephone/infotainment system, satellite radio, remote start, 110v plug in in the box, plastic pick-up box (floor and walls) 2 different trailer plug ins, manual style mode for shifting gears on the auto tranny....i was pleasantly surprised to see how far behind the taco was at adding some of the extra stuff my 05 4runner had..

wildcatter
03-31-2021, 11:21 AM
My Toyota 4x4 pickup is getting tired 1990 3VZ engine ,5 speed,Extra Cab 300,000 K on it . I need to put some money into it . Valve cover gaskets. Tune up . One small dent and one little bit of surface rust . Maybe a bit of paint. Couple of other things . So It needs a bit of work.
I’m thinking maybe buy a newer used one , if you can find a good condition used one !
I have been looking on You Tube at the 2021 man they are sweet , really like some of the colours, Army Green,Cement,
Lunar Rock . So many models to choose from Kripes . I like manual tranny but you can only get that option in the short box . I like the 6 foot box, I can stretch out in that with a couple of inches to spare . The TRD Off Road seems like a good model then maybe do some mods after rather than going with the TRD Pro. I guess you can build one the way you like from the ground up. If I bought new it will last me until I’m done driving . Just letting some thoughts go ....
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Haha you think your pickup getting tired?
I got a 92 Toyota pickup with the V6 engine 5 speed tranny and it's over 400K now.
But it still runs good, the valve covers leak some oil, but no big deal just keep topping up.
The frame is still not rusted out and I will drive this till it falls apart:)

whitlers
03-31-2021, 12:26 PM
I have owned a half dozen toyota pickups and 4runners. A few of them were built and some stock. They can take a ton of abuse. Currently in an 07' Tundra 240,xxx and running strong. Have had a few upwards of 400,xxx with regular maintenance. They are great vehicles.

As for Tundra vs Taco. I went with the Tundra for interior space and I needed a long box. Its pretty big when off road but it gets me enough places. My old mini trucks would go wherever you would take an atv with some body abuse haha.

Arctic Lake
03-31-2021, 01:16 PM
Great information posted above ! I have not even considered a Tundra don’t know much about them except they are larger.
Maybe it’s just the Tundra’s that I have seen on the road but they look like they are low to the ground ,don’t have that 4x4 look to them , not that I’m wanting that Roller Skate Monster Truck that the young crowd like . Maybe it’s just the models I have seen . Someone could probably enlighten me !
I will need to do some research into the rumours for what is coming in the 2022 model year .
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
03-31-2021, 01:21 PM
Wildcatter . Have you had any Recall work or Service Bulletin work done on you 1992 ?
I had an email from Toyota Canada about a recall on my 1990 for steering components they said contact the dealership I emailed WestCoast Toyota and they said they don’t have the tools to do the work . What the heck does that mean ? Would they not have the tools to do it ?
Arctic Lake

Haha you think your pickup getting tired?
I got a 92 Toyota pickup with the V6 engine 5 speed tranny and it's over 400K now.
But it still runs good, the valve covers leak some oil, but no big deal just keep topping up.
The frame is still not rusted out and I will drive this till it falls apart:)

whitlers
03-31-2021, 06:20 PM
Wildcatter . Have you had any Recall work or Service Bulletin work done on you 1992 ?
I had an email from Toyota Canada about a recall on my 1990 for steering components they said contact the dealership I emailed WestCoast Toyota and they said they don’t have the tools to do the work . What the heck does that mean ? Would they not have the tools to do it ?
Arctic Lake

They probably don't have an alignment rack depending on what steering components need to be replaced. Maybe?

walker1985
03-31-2021, 06:36 PM
I heard the 2022 Tundra's are getting rid of the V8 and going into a V6 Turbo that's supposed to get better mileage. I don't own one but I think I would prefer a V8. Not sure how many km's to a tank either.

Arctic Lake
03-31-2021, 06:44 PM
Thanks Whitlers ! What do they do for wheel alignments then , sub it out ?
They probably don't have an alignment rack depending on what steering components need to be replaced. Maybe?

Rob Chipman
03-31-2021, 06:53 PM
I've got an '03 Tundra. Within spitting distance of 500,000 km. I've driven it as far as Inuvik and beaten the sit out of it. Still keeps on going.

I added a Dodge 1 ton because I need to pull horses and the '03 didn't have the capacity.

I've loved Toyotas since Central America in the '70s with Landcruisers, and I've only owned 2 cars in my life ('63 Valiant 3 on the tree and a '72 Celica with tons of primer on it) - otherwise always trucks.

You can't go wrong with Toyota's but...don't get too little truck if you're hard on equipment. I'd go bigger and get the Tundra rather than the Taco.

And if Toyota is the same now as in the pat, they lie like rugs about mileage. :-)

whitlers
03-31-2021, 09:44 PM
I heard the 2022 Tundra's are getting rid of the V8 and going into a V6 Turbo that's supposed to get better mileage. I don't own one but I think I would prefer a V8. Not sure how many km's to a tank either.

Interesting. I'd prefer the 8 aswell but I'd like to hear more about the v6 turbo.

Thanks Whitlers ! What do they do for wheel alignments then , sub it out ?

They may but it would be pretty easy to ball park and send you over to an alignment shop within a couple weeks. If its just the center link and rods its basic hand tools. Not sure why they would pass you up.

wildcatter
03-31-2021, 10:07 PM
Arctic Lake

I don't know any recalls and it wouldn't matter, I am not the first owner, I don't even know how many owners it had before.
I bought it about 6 years ago cheap and just driving it, mind you spent some money on fuel pump, timing belt, water pump, new shocks, etc.
Probably Whitlers is right and they don't have the alignment equipment, but you can take it to another shop that do have.

Squamch
03-31-2021, 10:11 PM
I have been looking on You Tube at the 2021 man they are sweet , really like some of the colours,
Army Green,Cement,Lunar Rock . So many models to choose from Kripes . I like manual tranny but you can only get that option in the short box . I like the 6 foot box, I can stretch out in that with a couple of inches to spare . The TRD Off Road seems like a good model then maybe do some mods after rather than going with the TRD Pro. I guess you can build one the way you like from the ground up. If I bought new it will last me until I’m done driving . Just letting some thoughts go ....
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Your valve cover gaskets are easy...but if you follow the recommendations, they'll still leak.

Clean put the trough in the cover with brake clean, dry it completely, and lay a teeeeeny bead of rtv in there. Pop the gasket in. Teeeeeeny bead of rtv on the gasket surface. On the half moons, not just on the corners like all the books say, but all the way around. Give it a little more torque than the book says too.
They will not leak again, I promise.

wildcatter
03-31-2021, 10:13 PM
I've got an '03 Tundra. Within spitting distance of 500,000 km. I've driven it as far as Inuvik and beaten the sit out of it. Still keeps on going.

I added a Dodge 1 ton because I need to pull horses and the '03 didn't have the capacity.

I've loved Toyotas since Central America in the '70s with Landcruisers, and I've only owned 2 cars in my life ('63 Valiant 3 on the tree and a '72 Celica with tons of primer on it) - otherwise always trucks.

You can't go wrong with Toyota's but...don't get too little truck if you're hard on equipment. I'd go bigger and get the Tundra rather than the Taco.

And if Toyota is the same now as in the pat, they lie like rugs about mileage. :-)

I used to rally a 73 and 74 Celica GT.
I would love to have one in good shape!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Celica001.jpg

thick
03-31-2021, 10:23 PM
what is your purpose and majority uses for a new truck? I work in the bush and have primarily used chev/gmc/fords as bush trucks over the last 15 years both in 1/2 and 3/4 ton. For my personal truck, I own a tundra. It is just straight up built tougher and less of the small Mickey Mouse maintenance type issues that are $3-400 here and there.

BUT I know your question is specific to Tacoma vs Tundra. I would go Tundra all day based solely on room. I hate being stuck in the smaller sardine can of a pickup, granted I am 6’. The tundra also makes highway road trips comfortable for 4 adults. SR5 double cab with the 6.5’ box is what I have and love it. I can go as many places as most tacomas will go in the bush. The places I can’t, you are getting into quad country or a true off road buggy scenario. I have never wished for a Tacoma at any time due to the potential of driving a bit further. At that point, I can get out and hike to my desired destination.

The fuel economy difference in my mind is moot. How much do you actually drive? They V8 and V6 in the tundra and Tacoma are both relatively thirsty in their class. The potential $1000-2000/yr difference between the two does not justify the Tacoma for me. The room and much higher towing capacity has sold me on my tundra.

Great information posted above ! I have not even considered a Tundra don’t know much about them except they are larger.
Maybe it’s just the Tundra’s that I have seen on the road but they look like they are low to the ground ,don’t have that 4x4 look to them , not that I’m wanting that Roller Skate Monster Truck that the young crowd like . Maybe it’s just the models I have seen . Someone could probably enlighten me !
I will need to do some research into the rumours for what is coming in the 2022 model year .
Arctic Lake

walker1985
04-01-2021, 06:59 AM
what is your purpose and majority uses for a new truck? I work in the bush and have primarily used chev/gmc/fords as bush trucks over the last 15 years both in 1/2 and 3/4 ton. For my personal truck, I own a tundra. It is just straight up built tougher and less of the small Mickey Mouse maintenance type issues that are $3-400 here and there.

BUT I know your question is specific to Tacoma vs Tundra. I would go Tundra all day based solely on room. I hate being stuck in the smaller sardine can of a pickup, granted I am 6’. The tundra also makes highway road trips comfortable for 4 adults. SR5 double cab with the 6.5’ box is what I have and love it. I can go as many places as most tacomas will go in the bush. The places I can’t, you are getting into quad country or a true off road buggy scenario. I have never wished for a Tacoma at any time due to the potential of driving a bit further. At that point, I can get out and hike to my desired destination.

The fuel economy difference in my mind is moot. How much do you actually drive? They V8 and V6 in the tundra and Tacoma are both relatively thirsty in their class. The potential $1000-2000/yr difference between the two does not justify the Tacoma for me. The room and much higher towing capacity has sold me on my tundra.

Is there a big difference in the Tundra crew cab compared to the double cab? Is it worth losing the box space?

Stresd
04-01-2021, 07:20 AM
Thanks
Arctic Lake

I have a 2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road Access cab 6 speed Manual Tranny 6' Box. Still available in manual in 2021 with 6' box but only in access cab in Canada.

Redthies
04-01-2021, 07:58 AM
We sold our Land Crusier and bought a ‘20 TRD OR Premium Taco in Feb of last year. It’s a great truck. I do have a 3500 Cummins as well for the camper. If I only had one truck, I think it would probably have to be a bit bigger than the Taco, but I tow a lot. The Tacoma is really a fantastic truck though. I love it as a runabout and for exploring.

Arctic Lake
04-01-2021, 08:18 AM
Thanks Squamch ! I will need to get a mechanic to do it as I’m hitting the busy season right now , and with my skill set mechanically , I would need the truck down for a few days at least LOL !I will let the mechanic know .
Arctic Lake
Your valve cover gaskets are easy...but if you follow the recommendations, they'll still leak.

Clean put the trough in the cover with brake clean, dry it completely, and lay a teeeeeny bead of rtv in there. Pop the gasket in. Teeeeeeny bead of rtv on the gasket surface. On the half moons, not just on the corners like all the books say, but all the way around. Give it a little more torque than the book says too.
They will not leak again, I promise.

Arctic Lake
04-01-2021, 08:30 AM
Someone told me I could probably get $4000.00 private sale for my current Toyota I doubt that but will have a look on Craigslist. 1990 Pickup Xtra cab 5 speed 300,000 K with canopy as mentioned before The truck has a few issues .
It also has a leak that results in the driver side and passenger sides being damp . It’s not a heater issue that’s been repaired . Someone said it may be coming in from behind the front tires . I’m thinking a few guys here would say just get rid of it .
Arctic Lake

REMINGTON JIM
04-01-2021, 08:35 AM
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-toyota-tundra-pickup-truck-everything-we-know/ RJ

Arctic Lake
04-01-2021, 08:49 AM
That was a interesting read RJ. A couple of questions though

#1 Would the coil springs be better than leaf ?
#2 Would that be a solid axe or like an independent suspension ?
#3 Would the V6 be a good engine , some are saying the V8 was good in prior Tundras ?

Arctic Lake. Man of many questions !

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-toyota-tundra-pickup-truck-everything-we-know/ RJ

wideopenthrottle
04-01-2021, 08:59 AM
check your door gasket for leaks..maybe tighten up the latch so it squeezes the gasket tighter...GL I hate leaks
Someone told me I could probably get $4000.00 private sale for my current Toyota I doubt that but will have a look on Craigslist. 1990 Pickup Xtra cab 5 speed 300,000 K with canopy as mentioned before The truck has a few issues .
It also has a leak that results in the driver side and passenger sides being damp . It’s not a heater issue that’s been repaired . Someone said it may be coming in from behind the front tires . I’m thinking a few guys here would say just get rid of it .
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
04-01-2021, 09:01 AM
It sure is a lot of cash for a new ride, WOW !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
04-01-2021, 09:05 AM
Thanks Wideopen . I need to lift back the carpet on both sides and check where it’s coming in maybe the stuff they use to seal the body parts together ,windshield etc...... . Sorry to the Op but this is turning into a Toyota Thread For Sure
Arctic Lake
check your door gasket for leaks..maybe tighten up the latch so it squeezes the gasket tighter...GL I hate leaks

whitlers
04-01-2021, 09:27 AM
Arctic Lake

Toyota tax is a thing these days. Realistically a truck like that with a 3.0 slow isn't worth more than $2k but people are paying more for some reason.

Is there a big difference in the Tundra crew cab compared to the double cab? Is it worth losing the box space?

The tiny box on the crew is useless. My brother has a crew cab and he wishes he got the DC with the 6.5' box or better yet my DC with the 8'. Although the wheelbase in my truck is garbage.

Blacktail1
04-01-2021, 10:02 AM
Had a 2018 tundra hated that god damn gas gushing pile of crap . Back to my good old gmc 3500 happy happy

wideopenthrottle
04-01-2021, 10:27 AM
spend it on gas or spend it on repairs...no free rides...heheh
Had a 2018 tundra hated that god damn gas gushing pile of crap . Back to my good old gmc 3500 happy happy

Redthies
04-01-2021, 01:17 PM
I had an ‘89 4Runner that I bought for $2000 a couple of years ago. Sold it last month for $10,000, and had a line up of guys wanting it. I did put a couple of weekends worth of time and around $1000 into it, but $4k for a 300,000 km pickup is totally normal these days if it isn’t rusted to hell.

Arctic Lake
04-01-2021, 05:52 PM
Redthies are you Serious ! $10,000.00 Surely you are kidding me ?
Arctic Lake
I had an ‘89 4Runner that I bought for $2000 a couple of years ago. Sold it last month for $10,000, and had a line up of guys wanting it. I did put a couple of weekends worth of time and around $1000 into it, but $4k for a 300,000 km pickup is totally normal these days if it isn’t rusted to hell.

Arctic Lake
04-02-2021, 10:42 AM
Couple questions . Is there a place to order Toyota OEM parts online that is cheaper than going to the dealership ? Just a reminder my truck is 1990 model year 3
Have you found a particular Toyota Dealership better for servicing your Toyota pickup than others ? I would think they are all Toyota trained so all the mechanics would be somewhat equal ? Yes I know there are different skill sets with all trades !

#2. I have a mechanic but I’m thinking I may want to try Toyota Dealership or other that specializes in Toyota trucks or Toyota vehicles ?

#3 Some repair shops put aftermarket parts in when repairs are done and then they markup said parts which I find blizzare as they just phone up Lordco and they get them delivered right ? What about buying OEM parts yourself and having them installed if you are not going to the dealer ?

Arctic Lake. Asker of questions !

MichelD
04-02-2021, 10:52 AM
I bought a 2015 Tacoma extra cab new and now 5 1/2 years later I've got 48,500 some-odd kms on it.

I special ordered it because it was impossible to find a used 4-cylinder manual transmission model.

The only issue I had with it when it was new is that the reverse gear is really high-geared and every time I used reverse, I could smell clutch burning. settled down after the first 10,000. I guess I burned enough clutch off to smooth it out.

Arctic Lake
04-02-2021, 11:16 AM
LOL ! My 1990 has the 3VZE the 3 Litre 5 speed . Can’t make it through the shortest intersection without shifting gears .When using 4 wheel drive ,Bull low as all would know 1 st gear and 4 low in the transfer case and you can take your foot off the gas and it just crawls . Glad your issue resolved itself MichelID !
I just love a standard tranny . Really my truck needs some work but not abused at all ,but it’s like I said getting tired . The thought of payments on a new vehicle is scary I would have to finance for a new one !
Arctic Lake
I bought a 2015 Tacoma extra cab new and now 5 1/2 years later I've got 48,500 some-odd kms on it.

I special ordered it because it was impossible to find a used 4-cylinder manual transmission model.

The only issue I had with it when it was new is that the reverse gear is really high-geared and every time I used reverse, I could smell clutch burning. settled down after the first 10,000. I guess I burned enough clutch off to smooth it out.

Sitkaspruce
04-02-2021, 08:03 PM
Couple questions . Is there a place to order Toyota OEM parts online that is cheaper than going to the dealership ? Just a reminder my truck is 1990 model year 3
Have you found a particular Toyota Dealership better for servicing your Toyota pickup than others ? I would think they are all Toyota trained so all the mechanics would be somewhat equal ? Yes I know there are different skill sets with all trades !

#2. I have a mechanic but I’m thinking I may want to try Toyota Dealership or other that specializes in Toyota trucks or Toyota vehicles ?

#3 Some repair shops put aftermarket parts in when repairs are done and then they markup said parts which I find blizzare as they just phone up Lordco and they get them delivered right ? What about buying OEM parts yourself and having them installed if you are not going to the dealer ?

Arctic Lake. Asker of questions !

AL

I had a 1987 that I traded in on a new 1993. That truck was amazing; the only thing that I had to replace was the clutch, everything else was wear and tear. After talking with my local mechanic, he recommended that I go with a Toyota clutch as I had 250000 on the first one, with lots of towing and bush time. They might cost more, but I think they are worth it. I also had a private mechanic who did all my work. It's not like they are the space shuttle, those trucks were pretty easy to work on. I add headers, ignition system, K&N Air Filter and bumpers and nerf bars. Most parts came from Northwest Offroad Specialties in Bellingham. I found them the best place to buy parts. But that was 20 years ago! Sold the truck when I needed another truck to tow the boat. Miss that truck every hunting season!!

For everyone who had the 3.0L V6, have you had your head gasket replaced? Toyota replaced mine at 210000 N/C. If it is not done, should ask Toyota as it was under warranty.

Cheers

SS

wildcatter
04-02-2021, 08:11 PM
AL

I had a 1987 that I traded in on a new 1993. That truck was amazing; the only thing that I had to replace was the clutch, everything else was wear and tear. After talking with my local mechanic, he recommended that I go with a Toyota clutch as I had 250000 on the first one, with lots of towing and bush time. They might cost more, but I think they are worth it. I also had a private mechanic who did all my work. It's not like they are the space shuttle, those trucks were pretty easy to work on. I add headers, ignition system, K&N Air Filter and bumpers and nerf bars. Most parts came from Northwest Offroad Specialties in Bellingham. I found them the best place to buy parts. But that was 20 years ago! Sold the truck when I needed another truck to tow the boat. Miss that truck every hunting season!!

For everyone who had the 3.0L V6, have you had your head gasket replaced? Toyota replaced mine at 210000 N/C. If it is not done, should ask Toyota as it was under warranty.

Cheers

SS

That's interesting, my truck has over 400K and other than leaking under the valve covers still seem to be running fine.

Arctic Lake
04-02-2021, 10:21 PM
Sitka . I contacted Toyota Canada last year about the head gasket issue which you find on every Toyota Forum out there . Toyota even went as far as to say that it’s not listed WHAT ? I said that I would like to speak to your supervisor , the guy said that won’t change anything . I was pissed ! It’s my fault for not tackling the problem many years ago as I bought the truck from a fella when it was 3 years old . So I never had the head gasket done .I may try again on the issue . The fella I did talk to though said all they had down for recall was steering control arm and day time running lights problem,which I’m not sure what that is about .

Arctic Lake

Cheers

SS[/QUOTE]

Arctic Lake
04-02-2021, 10:31 PM
Wildcatter . It seems that some 3VZE engines never have the problem , well I won’t say never but they apparently can chalk up huge Kilometers before going like the 400,000 you have on yours . But many ,many 3ZVE went very prematurely . Some say it’s due to the heat from the crossover exhaust pipe at the rear of the engine . I’m going to look into it again
Please keep any information concerning OEM parts and where you have your truck serviced . Dealer or Independent etc.
Thank You !
Arctic Lake

That's interesting, my truck has over 400K and other than leaking under the valve covers still seem to be running fine.

whitlers
04-02-2021, 10:50 PM
Wildcatter . It seems that some 3VZE engines never have the problem , well I won’t say never but they apparently can chalk up huge Kilometers before going like the 400,000 you have on yours . But many ,many 3ZVE went very prematurely . Some say it’s due to the heat from the crossover exhaust pipe at the rear of the engine . I’m going to look into it again
Please keep any information concerning OEM parts and where you have your truck serviced . Dealer or Independent etc.
Thank You !
Arctic Lake

I dont know where you live but I would call Ryan at Disturbed Industries in Abby. By far the best independent Toyota mechanic I have ever known. He worked for Sunrise Toyota for years and then started his own business. I have known him for over 10 years and he has always taken care of me. He has built me a few engines and done long term maintenance on a few of my trucks over the years. Top notch mechanic.

Arctic Lake
04-03-2021, 10:30 AM
Thanks Whitlers ! I’m in Maple Ridge so maybe Abbotsford is a little out there . I will think about it though for sure !
Thanks Again !
Arctic Lake

I dont know where you live but I would call Ryan at Disturbed Industries in Abby. By far the best independent Toyota mechanic I have ever known. He worked for Sunrise Toyota for years and then started his own business. I have known him for over 10 years and he has always taken care of me. He has built me a few engines and done long term maintenance on a few of my trucks over the years. Top notch mechanic.

Arctic Lake
04-03-2021, 10:34 AM
Do you fellas usually put in Toyota OEM parts or aftermarket ?
Arctic Lake