PDA

View Full Version : Flying with rifle - heads up check your scope

Salmon Belly
10-21-2017, 07:41 AM
I've flown with a rifle quite a few times and never had a problem until last week. Rifle was in one of the Cabelas Armor Xtreme Plus hard cases (airline approved) and was stowed by the airline in the wing compartment of the twin prop Piper Navajo.

Rifle was perfectly sighted in before trip. After the short flight, the rifle was off 10" high and 8" to the right at FIFTY yards. Couldn't believe it. Not sure whether it was from case getting bumped/dropped/thrown (would have had to be HARD) or the vibration in the wing. It was a commercial flight so I didn't see the rifle after checking in at airport until I landed. Read a few posts on internet that wing vibration can put a scope off so maybe that was it. Either way, got it sighted back in and no problems, so it's not a pooched scope.

Just a heads up to keep checking your zero after flights -- ya never know.

Cheers,
SB

Sambor
10-21-2017, 07:59 AM
Good comment! I think this applies to every situation: good idea to check your firearm (not only scope).

I think low frequency vibrations over extended period of time could be more damaging then a few bigger bumps.

northof49
10-21-2017, 08:01 AM
Would not trust that scope....what brand

Stone Sheep Steve
10-21-2017, 08:01 AM
Good advice. Never trust a commercial flight.

sako79
10-21-2017, 08:06 AM
My rifle always sits in a pelican 1750 but I always take one shot at least after I land to make sure it's still sight it in

Wentrot
10-21-2017, 08:30 AM
My rifle always sits in a pelican 1750 but I always take one shot at least after I land to make sure it's still sight it in

Do you now also test float your rigs to make sure they don't sink?.......;)

russm
10-21-2017, 08:48 AM
Baggage handlers aren't gentle with stuff, chances are it wasn't handled it was thrown into where it sat while it flew, could be vibrations from the plane or taken a hard bounce while landing, good thing you test shot it.

sako79
10-21-2017, 09:02 AM
Do you now also test float your rigs to make sure they don't sink?.......;)

The Pelicans are waterproof and they do float so I'm good to go

Wentrot
10-21-2017, 09:24 AM
The Pelicans are waterproof and they do float so I'm good to go

Awesome LOL

Salmon Belly
10-21-2017, 04:05 PM
Would not trust that scope....what brand

I had this is an initial reaction too, but it's a decent scope that's been on the rifle for a number of years (never a single problem) and has flown a bunch. Don't want this to become a brand vs brand thread... my honest opinion is it could have happened to any scope.

Shot it a bunch after sighted back in and everything perfect.

cheers,
SB

Salmon Belly
10-21-2017, 04:07 PM
I think low frequency vibrations over extended period of time could be more damaging then a few bigger bumps.

Yep this is what I kept coming across on the web. The small twin props do shake rattle and roll

SB

Ryo
10-21-2017, 04:26 PM
Do you keep the bolt in the rifle, in the case? I found that this really compromises the 'float' of the rifle within the padding. Just curious

Salmon Belly
10-21-2017, 10:57 PM
Do you keep the bolt in the rifle, in the case? I found that this really compromises the 'float' of the rifle within the padding. Just curious

No, I have the bolt out and inside a wool sock, which is in the case (so doesn’t rub against rifle). It’s an orphaned sock don’t know where other one went

SB