PDA

View Full Version : Which .270win ammo?

russm
10-19-2017, 11:01 PM
As the title says, which ammo do you recommend? Here's the situation, I sited in my .270 xbolt with 130 gr. federal power shock ammo, everything went fine with that and I didn't hunt with that gun last season.

Fast forward to last weekend, me and a buddy head out to his grandpas ranch to look for some bucks, after horrendous weather all Saturday the sun comes out and so did the bucks, we found 2 side by side and lined up on each, I missed mine twice at 100 yards (overly excited) and he ran missed with the only 2 shots he had (was playing with his scope and didn't set it back to zero so shooting way high), he ends up killing his with my gun and once we get to his buck it has been sufficiently destroyed after hitting a bone the bullet completely disintegrated.

After we get his buck dealt with we continue through the ranch and we watch 2 does that are leery about something behind them (bobcat), we kept our eye on them and spot a spike and 2 does coming up behind them, start lining up on them and notice one of the "does" is actually a 2x2, sweet! Get lined up and down he goes at about 225 yards (redeemed myself), check out the buck and same thing but not quite as bad as his buck.

Anyway, I want to switch ammo for something that won't completely annihilate what I shoot, not really into premium ammo prices, would probably be looking for something mid range? I'm not a competitive or long distance shooter at all.

avadad
10-19-2017, 11:25 PM
I use Barnes ttsx in .270 130 gr as well. Full copper with a ballistic tip. My wife got a piece of lead in a chunk of venison years ago and convinced me to try an alternative to lead bullets. Barnes isn't cheap but I'm on year 4 on a box I paid $50 for, so for me it's a good value. I use federal blue box for sighting in and practicing and my rifle shoots both brands the same. I only use the Barnes when hunting. I've noticed a significantly less amount of blood shot meat in my animals and I don't have to worry about shards of lead tainting my harvest.

two-feet
10-20-2017, 06:32 AM
Are you aiming for ribs or shoulder?

russm
10-20-2017, 11:07 AM
Mine was on the move a little and I hit him slightly forward and took out the shoulder.

REDGREEN
10-20-2017, 11:17 AM
Go to the Federal blue box. It is loaded with the Speer hot core. They work great in the 270. Stay behind the shoulder blade, and you will be fine.

russm
10-20-2017, 11:40 AM
It was the blue box

chris
10-20-2017, 11:46 AM
I'm not trying to be critical of your shot because stuff happens sometimes, but you can't expect to hit the shoulder and not have major meat loss. I use Sierra game king out of my 25-06 which is a bit faster than your .270. It is a ballistic type bullet but I have never had meat damage due to shot placement.

Linksman313
10-20-2017, 11:52 AM
Have been using Winchester Powermax bonded since they came out a few years back, have had no issues with knock down or blow out with 150gr. Personally - two WT's spined and a BB through the heart with no excessive damage and no chasing involved post shot, pickup a box for approx. $35-42.00 depending on retailer. Brother shoots same in .243 100gr and Rock Creek buddies shooting 130gr in .270 similar results.

IronNoggin
10-20-2017, 11:58 AM
No ammunition will completely compensate for hitting bone.
Those that claim to myself and a handful of very experienced Buddies have had pencil-holing issues with (resulting in game moving too far or getting away).

I have enjoyed tremendous success with 130 grain Nosler Partitions in my 270. Always do what they are designed to do. A little pricey, but compared to many other expense considerations, affordable. Your ammo is no place to cheap out IMO...

http://www.federalpremium.com/ammunition/rifle/family/vital-shok/vital-shok-nosler-partition/p270p

Cheers,
Nog

srupp
10-20-2017, 12:40 PM
Hmm I have a.270...i use Hornady 140 grain boat tails..never a failure not so expensive. .
Cheers
Steven

rimfire
10-20-2017, 12:48 PM
I have a few friends that swear by Federal Fusions. I mainly shoot "blue box" (well, now the Federal Non-Typical - exact same ammunition) and it shoots fine. If you want to be sure, buy a bonded or partitioned bullet and sight in the rifle right before hunting season.

Cedar Cowgirl
10-20-2017, 12:55 PM
My Model 70 eats up 140 gr Federals. Never failed to "put down" a target yet.

hoochie
10-20-2017, 01:12 PM
This is an excellent topic, as there are so many varying opinions.
I had been told over and over that using Berger bullets I would expect major meat loss. It wasn't until a few days ago, when the .270 connected to the shoulder, that I saw first hand. The shoulder was a complete loss, the bone was imbedded in the meat and was the consistency of gravel.
I don't blame my bullet for what occurred, but rather learned from my mistake. I have taken deer from inside 100 yards, out to 250+ with this bullet, and never saw this until I hit the shoulder.
When people speak of "shot placement".. its like a light went off, and I finally, after all these years clued in to what it meant.
I would recommend that you keep using the same ammo you were, and remember not to try and anchor your deer with a shoulder shot.

Bugle M In
10-20-2017, 01:35 PM
Firstly, some guns shoot some ammo better then others.
I have a 270 Husqvarna, which shoots awesome with some ammo, but hates other stuff at 100 yards.
So, just because you find a bullet that you like, just keep in mind your gun may not.

If you only shoot 200 yards, Nosler Partition is a great bullet, even out at 300 etc.
IF it is long range, you will probably be looking for a "ballistic tip" style bullet with "boat tail" incorporated.
Back to my gun, it liked Winchester Loads ( I can only assume it has to due with the powder), but my rifle
just hates Federal.

Barnes TTSX is a good choice as some swear by it.
Honestly, I used to use Winchester Power Points for Elk back in the day, which were cheap compared to some fancy stuff
out there, but they worked, and took elk out at 325 yards often.
For some reason, all these fancy loads came out, and I switched to these fancier bullets...??????

I do know, that those Winchester xp3 just seemed to go "right thru" deer, and was not impressed.

If you can afford it, by a couple of different brands, shoot them at the range (don't sit there and re-zero each box),
just shoot, and see how they group first.
Take the box that you like best out in the field...and then filed test them:-P.

Then, by the time you find a load you like, the company who makes them, decides to discontinue them...lol

Just trying to say, there are other things to consider when switching brands/loads/bullets.

Cedar Cowgirl
10-20-2017, 02:10 PM
BMI summed up the entire question in his first sentence. My hubby used to tell me shoot what ever the rifle/shotgun "likes". I didn't really understand until he showed me the difference between his 45-70 and mine. Mine (Marlin 20" carbine) will shoot 325 gr Leverevolutions quite fine. His 22" Winchester Mod. 86 would spray them all over the paper but punch one hole in right after the other with 400+ gr. round nose bullets. What you like makes no difference if your rifle doesn't digest them well.

Foxton Gundogs
10-20-2017, 02:20 PM
Firstly, some guns shoot some ammo better then others.
I have a 270 Husqvarna, which shoots awesome with some ammo, but hates other stuff at 100 yards.
So, just because you find a bullet that you like, just keep in mind your gun may not.

BMI summed up the entire question in his first sentence. My hubby used to tell me shoot what ever the rifle/shotgun "likes". I didn't really understand until he showed me the difference between his 45-70 and mine. Mine (Marlin 20" carbine) will shoot 325 gr Leverevolutions quite fine. His 22" Winchester Mod. 86 would spray them all over the paper but punch one hole in right after the other with 400+ gr. round nose bullets. What you like makes no difference if your rifle doesn't digest them well.

This, nothing more, nothing less. When I get a "new" rifle I start with Blue Box Federals or Silver Box Winchester and take it from there, until I find a bullet that particular rifle shoots -MOA. After I find an acceptable bullet I may experiment but usually always go back to what any given rifle likes to shoot. That procedure has never done me any dirt.

Fisher-Dude
10-20-2017, 02:47 PM
Accubonds, Swift Sciroccos, and CL Ultra Bonded.

Stick with those and Bob's your uncle.

Tamahi
10-20-2017, 02:57 PM
I've been using Hornady Superformance SST in both 130 and 140 and never been disappointed with either!

russm
10-20-2017, 04:00 PM
I would like to start shooting further out, Right now the max I'd be comfortable with would be about 250 or so and that's just because that's what distance Ive practiced at, any previous shots Ive taken have been well inside 100, I don't mind spending a bit of money if it means a quicker more effective kill at a possible further range ( not that the buck suffered, it killed him dead), im sure it did have a bit to do with shot placement but I looked the ammo up online and there's a lot of people saying the same thing, I already tried some Winchester stuff and it shot like crap off the bench.

I normally shoot (from my left handed Remington 700SPS) federal blue box 130GR for deer, and have been happy with the accuracy. A little less so with the shot damage, as they don't seem to open up much. Most shots go right through, no problem. Always ends up with a deer on the ground.
I switched to the 150gr Federal Fusion for when I had both my Rosie Draw 3 years ago and for my moose this year because I wanted a little more punch, without changing rifles. The 150gr went clear through the elk, and both his lungs at 75 yards. On this year's moose, the 150gr blew through the shoulder, a rib, both lungs, another rib, and lodged in the hide on the far side from 175 yards.

todbartell
10-20-2017, 10:55 PM
you dont want excess damage to your game, but too cheap to buy good ammo........and you want to shoot further from unstable field positions. This will require a lot of ammo, even cheap stuff. Id suggest Federal 150gr Fusion. Its bonded, the heavier weight will reduce impact speeds. It's fairly inexpensive, typically shoots well. Rest is up to you

russm
10-21-2017, 01:41 AM
you dont want excess damage to your game, but too cheap to buy good ammo........and you want to shoot further from unstable field positions. This will require a lot of ammo, even cheap stuff. Id suggest Federal 150gr Fusion. Its bonded, the heavier weight will reduce impact speeds. It's fairly inexpensive, typically shoots well. Rest is up to you

Thats not what I'm saying at all, I'm just not in the position to pay $100 a box like some guys, I'm perfectly willing to spend what I can that's why I'm asking for opinions and recommendations, never said anything about shooting from unstable positions, obviously I'm not just fining to start flinging shots out at 5-600 yards with no practice.

todbartell
10-21-2017, 01:00 PM
all hunting situations will be from unstable rests (kneeling, sitting, offhand, prone). Each position has its own level of stability or lack of. It will take quite a bit of practice to be able to hit a 9" pie plate with your first shot 90+% of the time @ XXX distance. Even with blue box Federals the price will add up. Handloading would be a good option, and you can tailor your ammo to your needs. The 270 is a high velocity cartridge and will make a jacketed soft point bullet of vanilla construction to expand really fast inside 300 yards. You could load that same bullet to 2700 fps instead of 3050 and see an improvement in damage to meat.

Bugle M In
10-21-2017, 02:01 PM
Here's a thought....just aim "behind the shoulder", not "thru the shoulder":idea:.
Yes, hit thru the shoulder, generally stops them cold, behind it, not so much, but a lot less meat damage.

miner_luke
10-21-2017, 08:20 PM
If you haven't tried them yet in your gun give the regular Fed/Rem/Win 150 gr loads a try. The 150 great load at +/- 2800 fps was brought out for guys wanting a bit less meat damage from their 270's over faster 130 gr loads. A bit of a trade off in trajectory but within 250 yards probably not much noticeable difference over the 130 gr loads.

todbartell
10-21-2017, 08:56 PM
The Federal & Remington 150gr round nosed loads turn the 270 into a 30-30 downrange in a hurry. That blunt ass bullet acts like it has a parachute tied to the back of it. But you're right Luke, if you're not shooting past 250 there's really no down side to them. Totally goes against what the 270 is all about for me, and thats why I would look at the bonded core 150gr Fusion