PDA

View Full Version : Cut your tag when??

Morleystw
10-18-2017, 08:49 PM
Just got off the other forum,the debate is if you shoot a moose and before you get to it a grizzly claims it.do you have to legally cut your tag or not??thanks.

hoochie
10-18-2017, 09:18 PM
If I shoot it, and I know I killed it...
CUT THE TAG.

If I lose the meat to predators or my own mishandling, the death of the animal was a direct result of my actions, therefore I cut the tag.

srupp
10-18-2017, 09:23 PM
Hmm cut tag..self report to conservation officer..ask for extenuating circumstances..new tag request..all they can say is no..
Steven

whitlers
10-18-2017, 09:24 PM
I agree with above. If I saw the animal drop and I know it's dead I cut my tag. Even if your unsure of a good hit or a miss and you track the animal to find a bear on your kill. I still believe it is your moral obligation to cut your tag.

Onesock
10-18-2017, 09:33 PM
And they will say No!

Huevos
10-18-2017, 09:54 PM
That would be poor luck to have a grizz on it even before you get to it! Has this ever happened? I mean what is an average moose shot out to? Most moose I see die are under 60 yards. Even at 600, that is nuts to have a bear on it in under 20 minutes. And yes, cut the tag.

srupp
10-18-2017, 10:03 PM
Hmm the alternative..dead moose with your bullet in it..can be proven it's your bullet that killed the moose..your tag pristine...
Hmmm that's not going to end well..
Srupp

happyhunter
10-18-2017, 10:16 PM
Hmm the alternative..dead moose with your bullet in it..can be proven it's your bullet that killed the moose..your tag pristine...
Hmmm that's not going to end well..
Srupp
No, an animal in your possession with your tag pristine = big trouble. But if the animals not in your possession and your tags cut... Not sure how that will go

srupp
10-18-2017, 10:21 PM
Hmm ..hence my recomendation..cut the tag..write on it..intention to self report..grizzly took over the carcass...illegal to shoot grizzly to save the game meat.
Steven

Gateholio
10-18-2017, 11:22 PM
Just got off the other forum,the debate is if you shoot a moose and before you get to it a grizzly claims it.do you have to legally cut your tag or not??thanks.

Sounds like someone is pretty bored :)

RadHimself
10-18-2017, 11:47 PM
Or looking for an excuse to kill two moose on one tag.. give an inch and they want a mile

fishing for info, specially if they cut up their own meat

slide one in under the radar, why not.... the FN get away with it

boxhitch
10-19-2017, 12:16 AM
Ever watch how most all hunters walk up to a downed critter and give it a poke to confirm whether it is dead or playing possum? Must be a reason for that
Ever get to a spot where you swore you saw an animal drop and its not there, and a search turns up nothing ?
Ever get off a supposed-perfect shot, only to have the critter keep on walking away ?
Especially moose as they have a portion of the target area that can be hit enough to stun them yet not be a kill shot. Hunters aim for the hump thinking it is the backbone, or slip on into that small void between the top of the lungs and the spine.

All the discussions about wounded game say to not cut the tag til you put your hands on the carcass, same is true here.

scotty30-06
10-19-2017, 01:18 AM
Legally you dont have to cut tag till hands on the animal?

blackhawk19
10-19-2017, 08:09 AM
as much as you want the answer to be no ,its yes

caddisguy
10-19-2017, 08:19 AM
It is only legal to cut a tag upon retrieval of the animal. That said, I think one should "mentally cut" the tag if they killed the animal. Don't hunt for or shoot another (unless you have another tag that isn't mentally/morally cut)

rimfire
10-19-2017, 08:20 AM
Page 8:

Licence Cancellation:
It is unlawful to be in possession of a big game animal without a properly cancelled species licence or otherwise by licence, permit, or as provided by regulation. Any person who kills any big game species must immediately after the kill and before handling the big game killed, cancel the appropriate species licence in accordance with the instructions on that licence.

Once you have verified that the animal has been killed, before you start "handling" the animal, you must tag out.

tikkahunter
10-19-2017, 08:21 AM
Good question, and a valid one, as what the instructors of the CORE course teach isn't always right. In my opinion, if you shoot, and eventually find the animal, regardless if a predator is on it or not, your tag must be cut. Simple.

Here we go with the other side. During my CORE course, the instructor said if you shoot an animal and are confident you hit it, but are unable to locate it, it is our responsibility to cut your tag. His words, not mine. Based on this, I cut a tag on an animal I wasn't able to find. And sure enough, we hit a game check on the way home from that trip. Of course, the CO picked up on a cut tag and no animal to show for it. After letting me sweat it out or about 20 minutes, and threatening all sorts of action against me, he realized I was trying to do the right thing, and let me go. That said, I will never again cut a tag if I don't have my hands on the animal (or just before I touch it as the manual says).

Roboduck
10-19-2017, 08:31 AM
I was always told when I pull out my knife to start gutting to cut the tag before the hide.

J_T
10-19-2017, 08:37 AM
As others have said, if you do not retrieve your animal, do not cut your tag. In the eyes of a CO, if you have a cut tag and no animal, you have failed to retrieve and remove the edible portions.

You cut your tag, when you arrive at the animal, confirm it is yours and dead, prior to commencing the process of butchering. If you walk up to where it dropped and a predator claimed it, do not cut your tag.

Ethically, you may feel poorly about shooting an animal and failing to recover it and you have a choice not to hunt that species any longer, but cutting your tag without having the animal in your possession is wrong.

albravo2
10-19-2017, 08:50 AM
That would be poor luck to have a grizz on it even before you get to it! Has this ever happened? I mean what is an average moose shot out to? Most moose I see die are under 60 yards. Even at 600, that is nuts to have a bear on it in under 20 minutes. And yes, cut the tag.

Lots of people end up shooting at last light and don't find the animal until first light the next morning.

I use the same knife to cut my tag and butcher the animal in that order.

allan
10-19-2017, 09:03 AM
When Im standing over my animal before I touch it, I cut my tag.

finngun
10-19-2017, 09:14 AM
My buddy shot a deer,,it drop like shack,,,he wait me to help...maybe 5min. Deer bounc up ..run away,,buddy was just aww...luckily he didnt cut a tag..i think just bullet neck a head.no blood trail or anything in snow..

bighornbob
10-19-2017, 09:16 AM
I recently shot a moose. Walked up to it and confirmed it was dead with a poke to the eye. I then left the scene, headed back tony quad and drove the 5 minutes back to camp. A partner had just pulled up. We loaded up and went back to the moose. Parked the quads about 60m away, chainsawed a few logs out of the way and drove the quads to the moose. Just before starting the cutting on the animal, I then cut my tag.

Bhb

Sambor
10-19-2017, 10:14 AM
When Im standing over my animal before I touch it, I cut my tag.
I was told by an active CO and retired CO. When you shoot an animal, you come to it, it is dead, then before you start processing, cut the tags. I put head tag first (either antlers or ear) and then meat/hide tag as last thing.

I heard some arguments about taking pictures after the shot and if tags should be put on animals. I always cut tags, position an animal, take pictures and then put tags on.

Bugle M In
10-19-2017, 11:30 AM
When I pull out my knife to start gutting, I cut the tag first.
If I pull out the camera, the tag gets cut first before a pic is taken.
Bear gets there first, and I have seen it happen, it's there's.

Chopper
10-19-2017, 11:40 AM
You pull the trigger, and you know the game is hit ... you cut your tag befor u even start walking to it. You shoot game, u cut your tag

604redneck
10-19-2017, 12:06 PM
You looking for the legal or ethical answer?

rimfire
10-19-2017, 12:22 PM
You pull the trigger, and you know the game is hit ... you cut your tag befor u even start walking to it. You shoot game, u cut your tag

I wasn't aware anyone in this area was able to get the Hornady "Bullet Cam" bullets in Canada...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoGRlS53U_k

In all seriousness though, the law is written differently than how you have stated it. I'm sure many hunters can attest to times where we could have sworn we hit the animal but are unable to find any trace of blood at the impact area indicating a no hit situation.

Just like anything else, regardless of your own code of ethics, following the regulations is most important so you don't run the ire of Johnny Law. If you cut the tag and do not possess the animal, you can be charged with "failure to recover the edible portions of a game animal."

The law is written in a specific way to prevent people from being charged with an offense.

Any person who kills anybig game species must immediately after the killand before handling the big game killed, cancelthe appropriate species licence in accordancewith the instructions on that licence

If you cut that tag and do not possess the animal, you run the risk of being charged. However unlikely, there is still a chance.

All of us should do whatever we can to be sure of our shot and recover the game animals we target. However, tagging out on a maybe without first confirming your kill, while it might be the most ethical in your opinion, it is unlawful and if you choose to, you should be well aware that you are open to be charged with an offense under the Wildlife Act if you run the ire of an overzealous CO.

todbartell
10-19-2017, 12:25 PM
If you didn't lay hands on the moose I would not cut my tag. Never was in your possession. Ethically I would stop hunting moose for the season

rimfire
10-19-2017, 12:31 PM
If you didn't lay hands on the moose I would not cut my tag. Never was in your possession. Ethically I would stop hunting moose for the season

This is the right answer to OP's question. It satisfies both the regulations and hunter's ethics.

HighCountryBC
10-19-2017, 12:34 PM
Hmm cut tag..self report to conservation officer..ask for extenuating circumstances..new tag request..all they can say is no..
Steven

No, just no. If the animal is not in your possession you do not cut your tag.

ASPEN
10-19-2017, 12:40 PM
On a hunting trip - buck down , shooter went to town and did not come back-why is irrelevant at this point . We were leaving next day and the fella with tag was not present so we thought best to cut another to cover ( not much choice) On way home we "found" lost tag holder hunter and shortly after got stopped in game check- Fined for having extra cut tag and no animal present even after explaining incident.

cptnoblivious
10-19-2017, 12:49 PM
I was always told when I pull out my knife to start gutting to cut the tag before the hide.

That's what I do.

gmachine19
10-19-2017, 12:52 PM
I only cut my tag when I'm on top of the animal. Confirmed its dead and about to start to gut it. If a bear beats me to it, I won't cut my tag. Who's to say it was the bear that killed that animal and not me? They kill moose all the time you know...

Ron.C
10-19-2017, 01:46 PM
My buddy shot a little whitetail a few year back. We both saw it drop after the shot. He went and grabbed his pack from the truck, cut his tag and over we went. We were shocked it wasn't lying dead after the way it dropped. We searched and searched. Nothing. Never did recover that deer. Partner was pretty upset. Not because he cut his tag but because he lost the animal. In any case, things happen. You don't need to cut your tag until you are at the animal. If you lose an animal and have feelings off guilt, good. This is normal and nothing to be embarrassed about. Just proves you have some respect for the animal you are hunting.
If you want to pick yourself up and keep hunting, good on you. If you choose to pack it in and consider your tag filled, good on you. To each his own.

Kami
10-19-2017, 07:23 PM
Seems as though no matter what you do, the CO will ticket you. We are getting closer every day to being forced to lie. Hard working honest people turned into criminals.

cptnoblivious
10-19-2017, 08:32 PM
Seems as though no matter what you do, the CO will ticket you. We are getting closer every day to being forced to lie. Hard working honest people turned into criminals.

Cut the tag as you stand by the animal just before you start cutting and you really shouldn't have any problems

j270wsm
10-19-2017, 08:51 PM

2 for one deal. Great tasting meat and a grizz rug.

Honestly........chances a bears gets there before you are extremely slim. But if it did I'd do whatever I had to in an attempt to get my moose.

Bigdoggdon
10-19-2017, 09:02 PM
Chances are if a Grizz does move in on your kill its gonna when you're in the middle of gutting it (they're sneaky like that), so you'll have already cut your tag anyway.

dmaxtech
10-19-2017, 10:11 PM
Chances are if a Grizz does move in on your kill its gonna when you're in the middle of gutting it (they're sneaky like that), so you'll have already cut your tag anyway.

... and then you shoot the Grizz in self defence.

604Stalker
10-20-2017, 09:44 AM
Goodluck explaining that one! You cannot shoot a griz over a kill here. In BC regardless of circumstance you would basically need to have been mauled and your partner shoots it point blank. If he gets your kill its his as hard as that is to choke down. You do not need to cut your tag until you have retrived your animal. If a griz gets there first then its a mute point and like it was stated you dont want to run into a co with a freshly cut tag and no animal so even though it sucks.. Bigtime you can keep going and harvest another moose on that tag legally speeking. Ethically its your call.

HappyJack
10-20-2017, 08:01 PM
Ain't no dang bear going to claim my game without a fight. We can expect more and more of this happening since they have all but banned grizzly hunting.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-20-2017, 09:55 PM
In this situation I would NOT cut my tag but quit hunting for the day...return to cell coverage and contact a CO and ask their advice. They may or may NOT advise you to cut your tag but you can't go wrong with this approach IMO.

SSS

Redneck Rocket
10-20-2017, 10:05 PM
This is the right answer to OP's question. It satisfies both the regulations and hunter's ethics.

Absolutely. I can't believe there's people suggesting that they would cut tags without 'possessing' the animal first. There's even people sharing stories about getting heavily grilled by CO's about having cut tags and no animal. Just asking to put oneself in a very difficult situation for failing to recover edible portions.

We can choose to stop hunting whenever we want, for whatever reasons we feel are correct and ethical, but we have a responsibility to follow the law. And not just to ourselves but to other hunters - imagine the story popping up in the press: "Hunter charged for shooting a Moose and leaving it to Rot." Could way more to the story but the optics suck.

KodiakHntr
10-20-2017, 11:15 PM

Yeah, absolutely don't follow this "advice". Definitely illegal, and asking to get yourself in trouble.

mod7rem
10-21-2017, 08:53 AM
Yeah, absolutely don't follow this "advice". Definitely illegal, and asking to get yourself in trouble.

I agree completely, there's some sketchy advice being given out here that can cause a person some un-needed and un-deserved grief. A CO doesnt know youre a standup guy just because you say so.

russm
10-21-2017, 09:29 AM
This bear scenario just happened to someone in my Facebook, shot a bull went to recover and there was a sow and cub on it, lost it after a stare down with the bears, I don't know if he cut his tag or not but I wouldn't until my hands were on it and I knew that it was mine. Being honest and ethical is great and all but what's the point if it's going to get you in trouble.

whitlers
10-21-2017, 11:02 AM
I understand then rule and I get what everyone is saying but I do think you should 'mentally' cut your tag as stated earlier if you find a bear on your kill. Atleast that's what I would do. Keep the tag for the season but I would stop hunting and call the CO's office. Not saying anyone should do that aswell but that's just my personal opinion. Wrong or right.

Also I do agree that this kind of situation is probably fairly uncommon.

mod7rem
10-21-2017, 01:00 PM
I understand then rule and I get what everyone is saying but I do think you should 'mentally' cut your tag as stated earlier if you find a bear on your kill. Atleast that's what I would do. Keep the tag for the season but I would stop hunting and call the CO's office. Not saying anyone should do that aswell but that's just my personal opinion. Wrong or right.

Also I do agree that this kind of situation is probably fairly uncommon.

We could easily take this "ethical" debate too far. It doesnt make you a bad person when things go wrong. If you hunt long enough things happen, animals get wounded or unrecovered for different reasons, but it doesnt automatically make you unlawful or unethical. Who decides what is ethically right or wrong? In cases like this I think its different for everybody and the individual situations. In the grand scheme of things I dont think its going to amount to much if a person decides to keep hunting in an unintentional situation described by the OP. If I hit and killed a deer with my truck on the highway, would it make me unethical to still go deer hunting that year?
I would definately not cut a tag for an animal that I couldn't recover for the simple reason that it could put me in an "unlawful" situation.

MichelD
10-21-2017, 02:43 PM
All I know is that I was spotted by a C.O. 10 feet away from my bike with my wallet in my pack on the bike when he asked for my licence and he gave me holy old fecal matter for not having my licence and tags on me.

"What if you saw a deer and shot it?" he said. "You have to cancel your tag as soon as you kill an animal."

Wild one
10-21-2017, 03:25 PM
All I know is that I was spotted by a C.O. 10 feet away from my bike with my wallet in my pack on the bike when he asked for my licence and he gave me holy old fecal matter for not having my licence and tags on me.

"What if you saw a deer and shot it?" he said. "You have to cancel your tag as soon as you kill an animal."

That CO sounds a little special that's all I am going to say

whitlers
10-21-2017, 03:26 PM
We could easily take this "ethical" debate too far. It doesnt make you a bad person when things go wrong. If you hunt long enough things happen, animals get wounded or unrecovered for different reasons, but it doesnt automatically make you unlawful or unethical. Who decides what is ethically right or wrong? In cases like this I think its different for everybody and the individual situations. In the grand scheme of things I dont think its going to amount to much if a person decides to keep hunting in an unintentional situation described by the OP. If I hit and killed a deer with my truck on the highway, would it make me unethical to still go deer hunting that year?
I would definately not cut a tag for an animal that I couldn't recover for the simple reason that it could put me in an "unlawful" situation.

No doubt. I totally get what you are saying.

HappyJack
10-21-2017, 04:57 PM
Absolutely. I can't believe there's people suggesting that they would cut tags without 'possessing' the animal first. There's even people sharing stories about getting heavily grilled by CO's about having cut tags and no animal. Just asking to put oneself in a very difficult situation for failing to recover edible portions.

We can choose to stop hunting whenever we want, for whatever reasons we feel are correct and ethical, but we have a responsibility to follow the law. And not just to ourselves but to other hunters - imagine the story popping up in the press: "Hunter charged for shooting a Moose and leaving it to Rot." Could way more to the story but the optics suck.

We do this all the time....our animals go directly to the butcher shop most of the time, so we have cut tags and no animal. I am thinking this situation is being over blown. You are not legally required to have an animal in your possession if you have a cut tag. period.

KodiakHntr
10-21-2017, 05:00 PM
If you are returning from a hunt, and have a cancelled tag and no animal, you are going to be in shit and get a fine, period.

If you are returning from the butchershop and have blood on your pants and a cancelled tag and no animal, but you can tell him where it is and it’s PROVABLE, you won’t have any issues....

mod7rem
10-21-2017, 05:11 PM
We do this all the time....our animals go directly to the butcher shop most of the time, so we have cut tags and no animal. I am thinking this situation is being over blown. You are not legally required to have an animal in your possession if you have a cut tag. period.

Your animal at the butcher has been retrieved, was in your possession, and you can prove where it is.

HappyJack
10-21-2017, 05:13 PM
If you are returning from a hunt, and have a cancelled tag and no animal, you are going to be in shit and get a fine, period.

If you are returning from the butchershop and have blood on your pants and a cancelled tag and no animal, but you can tell him where it is and it’s PROVABLE, you won’t have any issues....
\

Absolutely untrue....you are not required to have a game animal in your possession just because your tag is cut. Perhaps you left it hanging in camp while you ducked into town to see the wife for an over nighter. Perhaps your buddy took it home with him [with proper documentation of course]. There are lots of reasons you wouldn't have the carcass with you, and there is absolutely nothing wrong or illegal about it.

mod7rem
10-21-2017, 05:15 PM
That CO sounds a little special that's all I am going to say

i agree, the guy sounds like an over eager idiot. Missing a little common sense.

mod7rem
10-21-2017, 05:24 PM
\

Absolutely untrue....you are not required to have a game animal in your possession just because your tag is cut. Perhaps you left it hanging in camp while you ducked into town to see the wife for an over nighter. Perhaps your buddy took it home with him [with proper documentation of course]. There are lots of reasons you wouldn't have the carcass with you, and there is absolutely nothing wrong or illegal about it.

I think you're missing the point, we're talking about a cut tag and animal you can't account for because it's never been in your possession. Are you saying that in the original situation the guy should cut his tag then lie to a CO if he gets questioned, tell them that it's at the butcher or hanging in a camp somewhere? If you have to lie, why cut the tag in the first place.

HappyJack
10-21-2017, 06:10 PM
I think you're missing the point, we're talking about a cut tag and animal you can't account for because it's never been in your possession. Are you saying that in the original situation the guy should cut his tag then lie to a CO if he gets questioned, tell them that it's at the butcher or hanging in a camp somewhere? If you have to lie, why cut the tag in the first place.

No, I am saying that you are not legally required to have the carcass in your possession if your tag is cut. People are spreading stories about people getting ticketed for a cut tag with no game animal...young inexperienced hunters are reading these false statements...they don't equate that type of information as meaning you don't have the carcass because the bear beat you too it.

todbartell
10-21-2017, 06:34 PM
This is the easiest topic ever, yet is always a shit fest when it comes up, which it does, often. Cut your tag when you get up to your animal, before you start processing it.

If you cannot recover animal for whatever reason (poor hit, goat fell off a cliff, grizzly found moose first and ate it), do not cut your tag. Make all efforts possible to recover, obviously. If ethically/morally you feel like you should cut your tag when you gut shoot a goat that falls off a cliff into a grizzlies den and the bear eats it all, do NOT cut your tag, but please feel free to pack up camp and drive home and go hunt another species

quadrakid
10-21-2017, 06:42 PM
If you can,t figure out when to cut your tag you should not be out hunting. Its pretty straightforward.Sometimes i wonder if half the people on this site have ever actually been hunting.

KodiakHntr
10-21-2017, 07:02 PM
No, I am saying that you are not legally required to have the carcass in your possession if your tag is cut. People are spreading stories about people getting ticketed for a cut tag with no game animal...young inexperienced hunters are reading these false statements...they don't equate that type of information as meaning you don't have the carcass because the bear beat you too it.

I can’t tellnof you are being deliberately obtuse, or if you just have poor reading comprehension?

If you have a cancelled tag, and no animal to show for it, you are going to get a fine. If you have left an animal in camp, you can prove that by going there and showing that animal. If you have left it at the butcher, the butcher will have a record of the animal.

If you took a shot and are “pretty sure it should be dead so I cancelled my tag” you are in violation of the law. Is that clear enough?

TexasWalker
10-21-2017, 07:04 PM
I can’t tellnof you are being deliberately obtuse, or if you just have poor reading comprehension?

If you have a cancelled tag, and no animal to show for it, you are going to get a fine. If you have left an animal in camp, you can prove that by going there and showing that animal. If you have left it at the butcher, the butcher will have a record of the animal.

If you took a shot and are “pretty sure it should be dead so I cancelled my tag” you are in violation of the law. Is that clear enough?

What law??
Care to show us??

HappyJack
10-21-2017, 07:16 PM
This is the easiest topic ever, yet is always a shit fest when it comes up, which it does, often. Cut your tag when you get up to your animal, before you start processing it.

If you cannot recover animal for whatever reason (poor hit, goat fell off a cliff, grizzly found moose first and ate it), do not cut your tag. Make all efforts possible to recover, obviously. If ethically/morally you feel like you should cut your tag when you gut shoot a goat that falls off a cliff into a grizzlies den and the bear eats it all, do NOT cut your tag, but please feel free to pack up camp and drive home and go hunt another species

Good advice.

j270wsm
10-21-2017, 08:07 PM
what happens if a bear comes into camp and takes the animal?? Tag is cut and now you don't have anything to show for the cut tag......no different than shooting an animal at first light and then being stopped by a CO that night. I've been stopped a few times and they've never asked me where the animal is for my cut tags.

gmachine19
10-21-2017, 09:03 PM
what happens if a bear comes into camp and takes the animal?? Tag is cut and now you don't have anything to show for the cut tag......no different than shooting an animal at first light and then being stopped by a CO that night. I've been stopped a few times and they've never asked me where the animal is for my cut tags.

Completely different scenario!

j270wsm
10-21-2017, 09:12 PM
Still have a tag that is cut and no animal to show for it!!

Guys are claiming that you will get fined if your tag is cut but don't have an animal to go with the tag. So how is this a completely different scenario??

I have never heard of anyone getting fined for having a tag cut and not being able to provide evidence that they recovered the animal.

todbartell
10-21-2017, 09:20 PM
why would you cut your tag if you didn't recover the animal???

j270wsm
10-21-2017, 09:33 PM
Double post.

j270wsm
10-21-2017, 09:38 PM
I'm not saying that I would or that anyone should cut a tag if they don't recover the animal.

Im questioning the comments about getting fined for having a tag cut and no animal with you. I don't recall anything in the regs stating that it is illegal to cut your tag if you don't recover the animal. You might have a lot of explaining to do but the conservation officer also has to prove that you intentionally left meat in the bush.

j270wsm
10-21-2017, 09:46 PM
On a hunting trip - buck down , shooter went to town and did not come back-why is irrelevant at this point . We were leaving next day and the fella with tag was not present so we thought best to cut another to cover ( not much choice) On way home we "found" lost tag holder hunter and shortly after got stopped in game check- Fined for having extra cut tag and no animal present even after explaining incident.

did you go to court and fight this ticket?? Curious what the outcome would have been if the charge was fought

Gateholio
10-21-2017, 11:49 PM
This really shouldn't be so complicated.

On the old HL booklets it said quite clearly "Pre cancellation of a tag is an offense" Now, why someone would say "I'm going deer hunting today so I will cut my tag this morning" I don't know. I don't know why pre cancellation is an offense, but it is.

So it's really easy to figure out- cut your tag when you are standing on top of the animal, not before.

If yiou shoot an animal and wound it and it escapes, if you shoot an animal and it falls into a cavern or into a river and gets washed away or a grizzly claims it before you get there, then no, you don't cut your tag.

If you feel that you have killed an animal but you can't recover it because it dropped off a cliff or into a river, then just stop hunting for that species. Actually cutting your tag is to make a point is meaningless.

Every year there are hunters that hit an animal and despite many attempts, don't recover it. There is alwasy some idiot who says "you need to cut your tag" Well, no, you don't need to. It's actually illegal to do so. So don't.

If, between your shot and you arriving at the animal, a grizz jumps on it, then again- don't cut your tag. If you get to your moose, you cut your tag. If a grizz claims it overnight, then that's a crappy deal but it is what it is.

I"m sure it has happened, but how frequent is a grizz jumping a carcassin between the shot and the hunter arriving at the animal? Like I said, someone must be bored as eff is this is actually a real discussion.

REMINGTON JIM
10-27-2017, 08:32 PM
why would you cut your tag if you didn't recover the animal???

Exactly ! and if i walked up on a BEAR eating my Moose i would SHOOT that Bast*ard dead there too ! jmo RJ

TexasWalker
10-27-2017, 11:20 PM
I hit a deer in Kamloops tonight on the hwy in front of Lafarge.
Do I have to cut my muley tag?
It was a doe so I'm really confused how to punch my tag because there's no antlerless season here.
Should I self report?

boxhitch
10-28-2017, 03:59 AM
I call bullspit on the tales of charges for a cut tag and nothing to show. Charges were likely laid pertaining to something else that came about in conversation or confession.
Having a cut tag may raise questions about where the meat is, leaning toward utilization, especially for those that have a trophy head and no or little meat.
I could believe a charge for failing to produce or failing to retrieve, again hinged on utilization
Another charge could be continuing to hunt for a critter that the hunter has already tagged out on, which is going toward bag limit rules, or hunting for something without an open tag.
But for the simple act of cutting a tag?

wideopenthrottle
10-28-2017, 11:41 AM
i had a dream last night about shooting this awesome 6x6 monster muley...it felt so real that i think i better go cut my tag right now....:razz:

Frango
10-29-2017, 08:52 PM
I get the feeling that a lot of the answer are from people who have never cut a tag. That is understandable to a point. It is a very common sense question. If it is not a common sense question to you then I would suggest you take or retake the Core course. Come on people if you know the rules play by them. If you don't know the rules and you are still hunting then you are an idiot. I was going to be more gentle but really ? Read the regulations.

russm
10-30-2017, 01:19 PM
It says right on the back of the new tags that pre cancellation is an offence, shoot something and it gets away or something happens to it then don't cut it, pretty simple.

walks with deer
10-30-2017, 01:56 PM
a more liklet scenario is shoot moose..cut tag..gutt moose go to get help and return to grizzly on it..that might be when a call to cos hoping for assistance...other than that unless you stand over it tag stays uncutt

Ryo
10-30-2017, 01:58 PM
It seems the original question is answered.

With the old fashioned booklets, we carried around cut tags, showing our record for the season. Now that the tags are individualized, I'm unsure whether it is proper to carry them all around (cut or otherwise) or pin them up in the fridge with a photo, once the meat is in the freezer.

It seems better to carry the previously cut tags around, to prove you're not harvesting two mulies in region X but I don't think this is mandated yet is it? One of the many items not yet thought through with the new digital system

bighornbob
10-30-2017, 02:08 PM
It seems the original question is answered.

With the old fashioned booklets, we carried around cut tags, showing our record for the season. Now that the tags are individualized, I'm unsure whether it is proper to carry them all around (cut or otherwise) or pin them up in the fridge with a photo, once the meat is in the freezer.

It seems better to carry the previously cut tags around, to prove you're not Harvesting two military in region X but I don't think this is mandated yet is it? One of the many items not yet thought through with the new digital system

That's a very good question. I harvested a moose 3 weeks ago. Canceled my tag etc etc. The meat is now home and in the freezer, do I need to carry the moose tag with me from now on??? Im not hunting moose any more so do I have to carry it around.

I know when I got stopped by the CO's a few weeks back, they scanned my tag (I think to just read the bar code) and the CO asked me what tags I all bought that year. I confirmed what was on his phone for what was purchased.

BHB