PDA

View Full Version : Deer to prok ratio

tenrag
10-16-2017, 07:30 AM
I would like some feedback on what ratio of pork to venison you use. I typically take my animals to the butcher to grind amd add pork but this year i would like to do it myself.

Second question....If someone had to quarter the animal to get out of the bush and took home to butcher could they still take the meat to the butcher to grind?

tomahawk
10-16-2017, 07:36 AM
Depends on how moist you like your burger (I'm assuming you aren't talking sausage as the amount varies on the type your making). I use 6% for lean and 8% pork fat normally and its not dry when cooked to done and not beyond.

Most butchers will cut and grind whatever you bring in as long as its clean and good meat.

S.W.A.T.
10-16-2017, 07:49 AM
80/20 to 60/40 depending on fat content of the pork. I use a 80/20 when using deer and bear

tenrag
10-16-2017, 07:49 AM
Is that pork fat or ground pork

bighornbob
10-16-2017, 08:23 AM
I process all my own meat. I put 5lb of trim into a vacuum seal bags and throw it into the freezer until the end of the season. Thats when I take it in to get made into sausage. Butcher is not as busy and I know what i take in will be my meat coming back. For the most part I know that time of year he is not making 200lb batches of pepperoni and mixing my good meat with someone else's unknown.

I asked the guy one time what to put down as I did not know what the meat was (moose, mule or whitie) as the bags werent labeled properly and was probably a couple species there. He said just choose one as I did not have that much meat (30lbs). He said the problems arise when you bring in 200lbs of trim and only have a whitie tag cut.

BHB

Wild one
10-16-2017, 08:27 AM
Mixing pork is blasphemy in my house

Island Idiots
10-16-2017, 08:30 AM
The ratio I use is 100% Venison to 0% Pork. If I need to add fat, I would use chopped up bacon and add it.

markathome
10-16-2017, 08:33 AM
If you're new to making sausage at home - start with this tutorial.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_homemade_sausage/

Hank Shaw is likely the best web based resource for Wild Game Recipes. He's a trained chef, journalist and all around hunter.

https://honest-food.net/

Rhyno
10-16-2017, 05:34 PM
The ratio I use is 100% Venison to 0% Pork. If I need to add fat, I would use chopped up bacon and add it.

I have never added pork to any game burger and don't understand why you would, personal preference I guess. If you haven't tried it before why not try 0% and see how it goes.

tinhorse
10-16-2017, 05:59 PM
Agreed, no need to add pork or pork fat to burger. Moose, deer, bear are all excellent on their own. We make burgers, spaghetti sauce, shepherds pie, meat loaf etc etc with just the game meat. Great eats and no complaints from kids or wife, and trust me the wife is picky about taste.

Ron.C
10-16-2017, 06:13 PM
I often add pork to our ground. I add 10% to my burgers. Otherwise I find it too dry. Try it a few different ways until you get it the way that best suits you taste.

srupp
10-16-2017, 06:37 PM
Hmmm i add 20% pork shoulder to burgers or sausage.if just pork fat..5%
Steven

Squamch
10-16-2017, 07:01 PM

That's how I do it!

dd3boss
10-16-2017, 08:48 PM
I’ve tried everything from 0 pork to 50% for sausage. I find for barbequing the burgers are a little dry if overcooked. 20% pork mixed in for barbequing seeems to be nice and juicy. And pork fat is best but ground pork works ok too. Just look for the fattiest ground pork as some of it is pretty lean.

Seth
10-16-2017, 08:58 PM
Mixing pork is blasphemy in my house

Agreed. I much prefer without and I'll never take it mixed again. Just be mindful of your cooking time because it's not going to be long

skuntor
10-16-2017, 09:10 PM
I don't add pork to ground venison. I add an egg sometimes when making burgers and they stay together nicely. Instant read thermometer is your friend when cooking game. Overcooking is what dries it out I find.

Bugle M In
10-16-2017, 09:34 PM
We added pork to make hamburgers, and as Srupp said for the most part, and depending on whether you use pork fat or
ground pork.
I like my burgers a little on the juicy side.
I can't always sit there and wait to "sear" the meat 1st before bbq'ing if I were grill burgers that were 100% game only.

Salty
10-16-2017, 09:35 PM
I liked the line the butcher came back with when my buddy took some venison in to get sausages made up for his first time. The guy says ya I could take your organic lean meat and add some grain and hormone fed pork to it its your call. This was an old school german dude too not some elitist trendy shop. I agree with his take. Having said that I have added the odd strip of bacon into the grinder for like a 20-1 mix or something just for kicks some times..

Blockcaver
10-17-2017, 06:19 AM
Zero pork at our house. Meat doesn't keep as well in the freezer with the fat mixed in in our experience. If you want burgers just mix a bit of olive oil and/or other flavorings when making the patties.

wideopenthrottle
10-17-2017, 06:49 AM
moms trick was to shred some potato in with the burger mix to make it very moist and of course some egg to keep it stuck together zero pork ground into wild meat.....for some variety we will chop up a spicy sausage or two when frying it for spag sauce or chilli

antlerking
10-17-2017, 08:59 PM
Don't add any fat when grinding trim it will go rancid with in six months and you'll have terrible tasting burger instead add pork sausage at time of cooking if needed for things such as hamburgers ,meat balls or anything that needs a binder if making tacos,spaghetti sauce,chilli or anything not needing a binder just a little oil in the pan to help with browning the meat

northof49
10-17-2017, 09:12 PM
I dont use pork fat....doesn't keep as long in freezer. For deer sausage I mix with ham shoulder approx 75/25

Redo
10-17-2017, 11:05 PM
Speaking from lack of experience, I grind my own meat and do not mix with pork. Trim very well, grind and pack. If using for sauce, chili, etc. I use it as is. If making hamburgers or meal loaf, I mix 2 parts venison to 1 park ground pork. Just recently made my first batch of pepperoni, turned out great. In fact, my father in law, who usually spends about $30/lb for local organic pepperoni said my batch was the best he had tried. My mix was 3 parts venison to 2 parts pork.

Really quite inexperienced, have only been processing my own game for a 3 years.

Ubertuber
10-18-2017, 11:08 AM
No pork here either for mince. I tried it, but didn't care for it. Just don't overcook, like so many do, and you'll be good to go.