PDA

View Full Version : Deer Species Licences

Lugg
10-16-2017, 07:22 AM
Whats the reason for having two types of deer licences (White tail and Mule / Black tail.) Rather than just one?

Is it simply because they are a different species as the name implies or is there something I'm missing? Why not just lump them into the same license?

I don't hunt waterfowl but I don't think they have different species licenses?

I know grouse don't.

Thanks!

brian
10-16-2017, 09:01 AM
Different management concerns between the two.

Wild one
10-16-2017, 09:02 AM
Different management concerns between the two.

This is correct

Lugg
10-16-2017, 09:22 AM
So does this mean when we purchase a species license that the money goes towards management of that particular species? Be it Deer, Bear, Moose, etc?

Thanks again!

Wild one
10-16-2017, 10:06 AM
So does this mean when we purchase a species license that the money goes towards management of that particular species? Be it Deer, Bear, Moose, etc?

Thanks again!

Nope $ seems to be pissed away by govt instead

Slinky Pickle
10-16-2017, 07:00 PM

Thanks again!

No, it mean that they treat them differently with season lengths, antler requirements and such. Take a look at the regs and you will see that the two species are handled differently with respect to hunting.

bang flop
10-16-2017, 07:42 PM
Yes, the regs are different for each species, but it's a crock to have two different deer species tags. Cash grab in my opinion.

Bugle M In
10-16-2017, 08:10 PM
the money has for years gone into general revenue, with only a "minimal percentage" going to supposed "habitat conservation":roll:

I believe all of it is now to go to the "habitat fund", or at least that was the last I heard....
not sure if that was implemented yet, or will be for next year or at all?

steveo
10-16-2017, 08:18 PM
Yes there is different management concerns but that doesn't really justify having to buy a separate tag. Have one type of deer tag and mark on it if you harvest a whitetail or mulie just like having to mark if the harvest was antlered or antlerless. I would think it is just a cash grab but was told it may be a way of measuring the popularity of the whitetail hunt. Do you have to buy separate tags to hunt Dall, Stone or Bighorn sheep?

Jagermeister
10-16-2017, 08:30 PM
Yes, the regs are different for each species, but it's a crock to have two different deer species tags. Cash grab in my opinion.It was not always that way. once upon a time, when the earth was green, the sky blue and the water clean, you bought a deer tag for a deer. The somebody said, "let us try to sell individual deer species tags and see if the dumbass hunters will buy into it." And lo, they did and the government got more money for MLA pensions.

Buckmeister
10-16-2017, 08:31 PM
I say its all about the premium they can bring in. We are allowed to only harvest a max of three deer in the province. So if we had a dual tag, people might only buy 3 tags total. But as it sits now, a person can buy 4 tags easily. For example: I buy a WT and a MD tag, and then harvest a WT and MD in region 8. I can then buy another WT and MD tag and go hunting in region 3 hoping to harvest one more deer out of the two species. 3 deer killed, 4 tags purchased. The govt ain't dumb when it comes to getting $$ from you.

Xenomorph
10-16-2017, 09:38 PM
I say its all about the premium they can bring in. We are allowed to only harvest a max of three deer in the province. So if we had a dual tag, people might only buy 3 tags total. But as it sits now, a person can buy 4 tags easily. For example: I buy a WT and a MD tag, and then harvest a WT and MD in region 8. I can then buy another WT and MD tag and go hunting in region 3 hoping to harvest one more deer out of the two species. 3 deer killed, 4 tags purchased. The govt ain't dumb when it comes to getting $$ from you.

And if you're trigger happy or just want general skinning practice, then go to QC and dump 5 extras, all on top of mainland numbers.