PDA

View Full Version : West Harrison, Hemlock Valley region still bad?

CSaw
10-15-2017, 02:37 PM
Hey everyone,
Anyone gone up to the West Harrison/Hemlock Valley region this year?
Tried for blacktail and bear up at East Harrison but we saw about 20 trucks and 10 quads going up in an hour so needless to say the pressure was on. As a side note the Cogburn and Bear Creek FSR are closed 24/7 due to active logging so that was a bust.

buckhunter76
10-15-2017, 03:12 PM
Just came out of that area with two bucks saw 8 bucks and over 60 does as well, who cares about the quads and trucks park and hike find where the pockets of deer are and you'll get on em, the ruts a little easier hopefully later part of the first week of November

CSaw
10-15-2017, 05:38 PM
That's amazing! We did some hiking but didn't see anything at all, the road was closed at the 20km so we couldn't go further than that. Tried a bunch of smaller quad trails but couldn't get to any cut blocks without hiking for a few hours. Any suggestions given that Cogburn, Bear and Harrison East FSR are all closed?

buckhunter76
10-15-2017, 06:25 PM
I was up west Harrison not that far up either, I have shot a few deer up east Harrison below 20km mark more around 11km mark but later in the year, once east Harrison is open again pine tree mainline and hornet creek are both good areas to try, it's a pain in the ass when, theirs some really good cutblocks not to far up east Harrison road to under the 5km mark, just gotta explore, I like cutblocks a lot but we cut a lot of deer in the mature timber as well
just gotta put the boots to the ground and spend ALOT of time scouting and finding where their at

ducktoller
10-15-2017, 06:51 PM
If you were a big old blacktail (and they do get big in there just like everywhere), would you be near the quads and trucks.

Sure you'll find bucks eventually (shot my first ride off the road after still hunting all day), but the big smart bucks certainly get that way being away from the cacophony of trucks and quads.

CSaw
10-15-2017, 08:20 PM
Yes of course, the east side was a bust as the main access is closed due to active logging, regardless of the trucks and quads. I haven't gone out to the West side in a few years and it was really rough up there, no sign, tons of deadfall in the slashes and road closures everywhere making it hard to even hike.

buckhunter76
10-15-2017, 09:53 PM
West side is rough and steep in some areas but that's what the deer like, we spent 2 years putting boots to ground in their finially found some good spots last year we were in their for 5 days last year saw 140 deer( obviously some duplicates) and between three people shot 5 bucks, also hiked 78km lol closest one to a road was around 4km farthest was about 11km I've seen them on the main roads before mostly when the snows deep or the ruts on just comes down to how bad you want it

twoSevenO
10-15-2017, 11:46 PM
West side is rough and steep in some areas but that's what the deer like, we spent 2 years putting boots to ground in their finially found some good spots last year we were in their for 5 days last year saw 140 deer( obviously some duplicates) and between three people shot 5 bucks, also hiked 78km lol closest one to a road was around 4km farthest was about 11km I've seen them on the main roads before mostly when the snows deep or the ruts on just comes down to how bad you want it

You got pics to prove you saw anywhere close to 100 deer on West harrison?

buckhunter76
10-16-2017, 10:50 AM
Nope don't carry a camera with me while hunting, but like I said some were duplicates that's deer sightings, maybe next year I'll pack a camera....

twoSevenO
10-16-2017, 11:03 AM
I seriously doubt you bushwacked for 11km through the harrison jungle or that you saw 100 deer.

At least post the 5 dead ones to show your story holds some water.

Wentrot
10-16-2017, 12:16 PM
I seriously doubt you bushwacked for 11km through the harrison jungle or that you saw 100 deer.

why do you doubt 11km in those woods exactly?

twoSevenO
10-16-2017, 12:44 PM
why do you doubt 11km in those woods exactly?

Because 1. It's extremely thick terrain full of blow down and often quite steep. 11km hike in this type of bushwack? I don't see it. Not unless you're mobile camping and in for several days.

2. I don't think any terrain in harrison is even left where you can hike for 11km and not hit a road. LOL. That place is chock full of roads all over the place. Logged the sh*t out of it last few years.

I do think some good hunting could be had further north on that side, around the fire lake area. I've explored a little up there years ago and there is potential, but by the time you make up there on the dirt road you could be in some better mule deer country. I also wouldn't consider thay far north "harrison west" anymore

buckhunter76
10-16-2017, 02:11 PM
Well I did say get off the main roads theirs tons of gated roads that reduce access I also said the farthest deer was 11km off a road, my gps tracked me at 73.6 km walked/ bycycled in and out of the areas I go in 5 days no I will not post pics of what I have gotten, no it wasn't at the top of the lake, and I'm not to concerned if you believe me or not, it is what it is, spent a lot of time in their scouting, if the original poster of this thread would like to message me I will give you some areas to try out and help you along the way, as I have done for quite a few people on this website, I'm not worried about my credibility in the least bit,

happy hunting out their

Wentrot
10-16-2017, 03:08 PM
Because 1. It's extremely thick terrain full of blow down and often quite steep. 11km hike in this type of bushwack? I don't see it. Not unless you're mobile camping and in for several days.

2. I don't think any terrain in harrison is even left where you can hike for 11km and not hit a road. LOL. That place is chock full of roads all over the place. Logged the sh*t out of it last few years.

I do think some good hunting could be had further north on that side, around the fire lake area. I've explored a little up there years ago and there is potential, but by the time you make up there on the dirt road you could be in some better mule deer country. I also wouldn't consider thay far north "harrison west" anymore

Pure blasphemy.....it's perfectly hikeable terrain.

twoSevenO
10-16-2017, 03:45 PM
Pure blasphemy.....it's perfectly hikeable terrain.

Have you ever actually bushwacked for 11km?
Go hike for 11km in West harrison Then tell me how much hunting time you had left. Prove me wrong with an actual trip report.

Boner
10-16-2017, 08:57 PM
It's a hunting thread for Christs sakes. No one needs to prove anything. No wonder some people don't post their stories.

Everyione should take internet posting with a grain of salt. Just enjoy the tales.

TexasWalker
10-16-2017, 09:04 PM

Who are you to question anybody??
Where are all your successful hunting photos??
I don't think I've ever seen you start a thread about deer you killed, only questions for people who do kill deer.

Every year many nice bucks are taken up Harrison on both sides and every year guys claim there are no deer up there, just quads and trucks.
All your posts are negative, you need a new hobby.

Wentrot
10-17-2017, 05:56 AM
Have you ever actually bushwacked for 11km?
Go hike for 11km in West harrison Then tell me how much hunting time you had left. Prove me wrong with an actual trip report.

its really the only way to successfully hunt region 2. I'm not going to get in to a pissing match with you about this. Go give it a try and you may be able to stop interrogating other successful people and find some deer for yourself!

ElectricDyck
10-19-2017, 08:13 PM
pics or it didnt happen..i shot 2 small bucks west harrison close to the road lol in my first year hunting...wheres your pics? you post yours ill post mine

twoSevenO
10-19-2017, 09:09 PM
Who are you to question anybody??
Where are all your successful hunting photos??
I don't think I've ever seen you start a thread about deer you killed, only questions for people who do kill deer.

Every year many nice bucks are taken up Harrison on both sides and every year guys claim there are no deer up there, just quads and trucks.
All your posts are negative, you need a new hobby.

Who are YOU to question ME? Lol.

twoSevenO
10-19-2017, 09:11 PM
its really the only way to successfully hunt region 2. I'm not going to get in to a pissing match with you about this. Go give it a try and you may be able to stop interrogating other successful people and find some deer for yourself!

11km reg 2 bushwack ... lol.

100 blacktails ... lol

fuzzy
10-20-2017, 11:16 PM
I suck at hunting and am often to dumb to look up when hiking. I spent a ton of time in the west Harrison area in the early 2000s not hunting. I don't doubt those numbers in the least bit.

walks with deer
10-21-2017, 10:02 PM
probably hiking gated roads or other pockets.. i have had multiple 25 deer hikes and depending where you are he could have been counting the same ones..blacktail hunting isnt how quite or cunning you are. its how lucky you are and how strong your legs are.. i have had many 20 plus blacktail days throughought region 2 to see 100 in 5 days espeacially in nov i beleive it.

Wentrot
10-22-2017, 05:47 AM
11km reg 2 bushwack ... lol.

100 blacktails ... lol

Remember to read before posting..

”West side is rough and steep in some areas but that's what the deer like, we spent 2 years putting boots to ground in their finially found some good spots last year we were in their for 5 days last year saw 140 deer( obviously some duplicates) and between three people shot 5 bucks, also hiked 78km”