PDA

View Full Version : 2017. The year of thr White Tail for us?

Kami
10-14-2017, 11:56 PM
So my buddy moves out into the country. Crown land right out of his back yard. He's an hour from town. Pretty nice quiet spot. He's got a little extra room to store my quad, so I leave it there. The hunting area is new to both of us. We rubbed our hands in anticipation as hunting season arrived.

Not knowing what was out in the bush near his place, no idea where the quad trails go, we had fun exploring. Owles, coyotes, deer, moose, squirrels, birds, you name it. Typical South Central BC mammals and birds.

First day out we spot some mule deer does, and a big healthy fluffy coyote. Second day out white tail! Also another coyote. We're leaving the coyotes until deer hunting season is over. We'll get to yotees later.

We have been parking the quads and walking lots. Seeing lots of fresh sign. No people anywhere. We found an area not easily accessible by roads. You pretty well have to go through private land to get to the crown land we're hunting. I think we have found a deer refuge. No hunting stress. No roads. No road hunters.

So we start seeing WT in the same area. 4 times we have gone to this area and are seeing WT. I can't be sure if we're seeing any WT bucks yet. The damn things are so freaked out you mostly just get a view of their white rear ends as they bolt.

In 1 Friday evening hunt, and 1 Sat morning hunt, we've spooked maybe 12-14 WT deer. We're walking the dark timber and finding them. We are walking as slow and as quiet as we can. WT quickly spot any movement it seems, and they bolt. We're deadly quiet. Wind in our faces. We're just not ivisible. Damn WT are sketchy and fast. Good news is no other sign of any hunters.

We like to stalk. We prefer not to sit in a blind and wait for WT to arrive. One time we may get lucky and get a chance to fire a round at one. Does and Bucks are open. We'll take a doe. But boy, we're finding them, we're just not getting any shots.

2 days before doe season, we had a WT doe walk right toward us. Got within 25 feet of it. In an open area. The doe had no idea we were there. That was a fun experience.

My hope is we can rattle in a buck when the rut starts. When is the WT rut in South Central BC? Third week of Oct?

I think we know where we'll be getting a WT. We just need more time and experience out there. We're getting this figured out.

Tron
10-15-2017, 07:33 AM
Use a buck grunt and when they bolt hit the call loud, they will stop for a short time as they are curious.