PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations for radio to use on fsr

buck nash
10-12-2017, 12:13 AM
Looking for recommendations for a radio I can use to call and receive my position on logging rds. I don't know what type of radio is used (vhf uhf.?) Looking for an economical brand. I mean cheap btw not "buy quality once" economical. Other question is, do i need a license to call my position? I assume people would rather see me calling without the paperwork as opposed to not calling and being surprised to see me on the rd. Also would need to know how to find the channels being used on a given rd.

I know this has come up before but I'm not very proficient with the search feature here.

Brew
10-12-2017, 04:33 AM
just go the the nearest radio shop and purchase a icom radio for your truck. Ask them to put the resource road channels in it.
Handheld radios don't transmit very far so get one for your truck. Most people are not certified to legally run a radio but I've never heard anyone being asked for paperwork.

S.W.A.T.
10-12-2017, 05:25 AM
I recommend a Kenwood. Also ask to have it so you can plug it in to your cigarette lighter so it can easily be removed.

If it's a reputable shop you will have to sign a license. Unless you know of some specifics channel that you want to chat with buddies all you will need is the RR and LD channels. I also recommend getting the LAD channels installed in a different bank. LAD channels are typically used by highway haulers but can be monitored by RCMP from time to time and if nothing else they can be extremely funny to listen to.

Weatherby Fan
10-12-2017, 06:57 AM
just go the the nearest radio shop and purchase a icom radio for your truck. Ask them to put the resource road channels in it.
Handheld radios don't transmit very far so get one for your truck. Most people are not certified to legally run a radio but I've never heard anyone being asked for paperwork.

Good information right there,

also if you do decide to go with a handheld Icom makes excellent handheld radios, I use the 6Watt IC-M36 they're light, waterproof and it floats, as Brew says the transmit distance can be sketchy at times depending on height of land and line of sight, but for keeping in touch with a hunting partner and a being handheld doesn't get much better than that.

Checkout http://www.icomcanada.com/index.html

Stresd
10-12-2017, 07:07 AM
Your looking for a 2 meter band VHF Radio. I've been using a truck mounted 65 watt Icom 2200H for years that I use to communicate with. When running a FSR I also will use my Puxing handheld to monitor and call on FSR freq. This system allow me to communicate (BS) with the rest of the trucks I am travelling with using my 2200H and still be able to monitor and call on the FSR freq I am travelling on. Puxing 777 or Baofeng handheld can be had for in the $60 range. The small $20 magnetic antenna I temporarily stick on the roof of my truck will give me a 5-10 mile range out of my 5 watt handheld. More than enough for a FSR.
This system also works great if you are travelling with someone who does not have a truck mounted VHF. I just give them my handheld and slap the antenna on their roof. You now have two way communication between vehicles.

https://www.amazon.ca/Generic-Magnetic-Vehicle-mounted-Antenna-Kenwood/dp/B00JAH90GO/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1507815864&sr=1-7&keywords=baofeng+uv-5r+antenna

I also use a small $9 handheld mike with my puxing that saves me having to pick up the handheld every time i want to call or listen.

https://www.amazon.ca/Baofeng-Original-Handheld-Speaker-Microphone/dp/B00KKZYCAE/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1507816875&sr=1-3&keywords=baofeng+uv-5r+microphone

huntingtime
10-12-2017, 07:09 AM
I know people with the baofeng uv-5r that quite like them. They are fairly easy to program and only cost about $60. They are hand held and get pretty good coverage.

buck nash
10-12-2017, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I think if i can broadcast/ transmit a km or 2 i should be OK. The big thing for is being ask to listen. My buget is pretty tight now so cheap hand held is probably the right direction for me.

How do I find the appropriate channel for the rd I'm on? I know they're not always the same because I've turned onto roads with signs that tell you to change to one particular Channel or another however some roads don't have that sign. Is there a default Channel in that situation

buck nash
10-12-2017, 09:47 AM
I know people with the baofeng uv-5r that quite like them. They are fairly easy to program and only cost about $60. They are hand held and get pretty good coverage.

This one gets good reviews (for a cheap chinese made) can i get one off the shelf somewhere here in the Lower Mainland or do I need to order it

Johnny G1
10-12-2017, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I think if i can broadcast/ transmit a km or 2 i should be OK. The big thing for is being ask to listen. My buget is pretty tight now so cheap hand held is probably the right direction for me.

How do I find the appropriate channel for the rd I'm on? I know they're not always the same because I've turned onto roads with signs that tell you to change to one particular Channel or another however some roads don't have that sign. Is there a default Channel in that situation Your radio will be programed with the number's , RR1,RR2, etc.

Brew
10-12-2017, 10:56 AM
The entrance to the fsr will have the road channel posted usually on a yellow sign

Stresd
10-12-2017, 10:58 AM
How do I find the appropriate channel for the rd I'm on? I know they're not always the same because I've turned onto roads with signs that tell you to change to one particular Channel or another however some roads don't have that sign. Is there a default Channel in that situation

Buy yourself a radio and then you can program all the FSR RR Freq's into your radio. Lots of how vids to prog on line no matter which hand held you decide on. You can buy local but will pay more than if you just order on line.

RR Frequencies:

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11127.html

buck nash
10-12-2017, 12:03 PM
https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11127.html

Perfect this is exactly what i was after. Thx

buck nash
10-12-2017, 01:13 PM
So does any vhf radio work. Cuz I'm here in Bass Pro right now looking at a marine radio that's VHF and these guys are telling me that it's not going to work you can't program it to the channels that I'm looking for is that true or these guys just full of it

buck nash
10-12-2017, 01:14 PM
They're saying I can only use a CB radio Citizen band to reach those frequencies

S.W.A.T.
10-12-2017, 01:18 PM
Go to a real radio shop,

Stresd
10-12-2017, 01:31 PM
They're saying I can only use a CB radio Citizen band to reach those frequencies

They obviously do not know what they are talking about.
CB is old and is no where near the Freq's you want.
A marine radio will not work for your purposes.
You want a self programable VHF with a Trans & receive freq range 136-174 MHz Check out the specs of the Puxing 777 or Baofeng uv-5r. Either will work fine. With something like these radios you will be able to program in the RR channels. Also the marine channels and a few thousand others if you want.

huntingtime
10-12-2017, 02:37 PM
They obviously do not know what they are talking about.
CB is old and is no where near the Freq's you want.
A marine radio will not work for your purposes.
You want a self programable VHF with a Trans & receive freq range 136-174 MHz Check out the specs of the Puxing 777 or Baofeng uv-5r. Either will work fine. With something like these radios you will be able to program in the RR channels. Also the marine channels and a few thousand others if you want.

Agree with above. Dont buy a marine radio or a motroloa family radio, you will not be able to program them to work

huntingtime
10-12-2017, 02:41 PM
This one gets good reviews (for a cheap chinese made) can i get one off the shelf somewhere here in the Lower Mainland or do I need to order it

You can find them all over online, including amazon.ca , I am not sure about locally. Make sure you purchase the programming cable as well.

buck nash
10-12-2017, 04:57 PM
OK I just spent the last our at my local radio shop I got myself a pair of Alinco DJ 500tb they are dual band VHF UHF FM transceiver made in Japan and the guy in the store showed me how to use them and programmed all the RR channels for me

Johnny G1
10-12-2017, 05:02 PM
Good radio but did he unlock them for you????

buck nash
10-12-2017, 05:06 PM
Honestly don't know johnny

S.W.A.T.
10-12-2017, 05:17 PM
Your set. Should be no need for more programing at least until they change frequency again

buck nash
10-12-2017, 06:59 PM
Turns out the shop is about 10 blocks from my house and the guy working there is an enthusiast who seems to like sharing his knowledge. That's why I was in his shop for an hour. He made sure i knew what I needed to before I walked out the door.

I feel confident I'll get good service from these guys

Squamch
10-13-2017, 06:54 AM
What's the shop name?

buck nash
10-18-2017, 12:59 PM
Sorry squamch I've been away from Internet for a bit.

http://www.rhecomm.com/RHE_Radio_Communications/Home.html

buck nash
10-18-2017, 01:05 PM
Im Loving these radios by the way the reception's really good on them and the programming is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Johnny they don't appear to be locked out of any functions that I've found so far. I've been able to program Marine channels and gmrs channels as well has the channels that were already programmed for me

Johnny G1
10-18-2017, 01:27 PM
Good to know that they are not locked.