PDA

View Full Version : salmon/halibut charters??

Jmazu
10-11-2017, 07:42 PM
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions, good reviews of fishing charters for a hopeful trip next summer/fall. Hoping to head out to the island for a few days of fishing with some buddies. Thanks, JM

tomahawk
10-11-2017, 08:40 PM
Lots of good outfits and individual guides here on the rock. depends if you want close by a city or in a sound and when your arriving and how many your fishing with and 1/2 day or full day

srupp
10-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Hmm I would PM IronNoggin. .on here. .Matt knows west coast fishing...great guy..not a accurate shooter but great guy..lol
Srupp

Weatherby Fan
10-11-2017, 08:45 PM
Check out Rocky Point Charters in Bamfield, highly recommend them.

greybark
10-11-2017, 09:36 PM

Ken and Betty have a first rate operation . Contact 250 728 3678 or visit their web site .
Cheers

weatherbyjunkie
10-11-2017, 09:45 PM
I just sent you a pm

MB_Boy
10-12-2017, 07:16 AM
Where on the Island are you thinking of going?

South...mid....northern.....inside.....outside.... ..LOTS of places to go! :wink:

good reviews of fishing charters for a hopeful trip next summer/fall.

Just an opinion.....do it in the summer and not the fall. Halibut ended up closing this year in the first week of September, add to that I was fishing off Tofino around the same time and can tell you the "summer" fishery is much better. (even though early September IS technically still summer :wink:)

BRvalley
10-12-2017, 08:43 AM

another vote for Rocky Point, had a great time and very comfortable accommodations

Jmazu
10-12-2017, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the replies!! Not sure what area I would want to go to, have not been over there to fish before. Would like to do a 3or 4 day trip, fishing for salmon, halibut, ling cod etc. Just want to go for the experience and some good fish for the freezer. Thanks again, appreciate all the feedback!

TreeStandMan
10-12-2017, 01:10 PM
In my opinion, if you want the best experience you have to be on the outside, and the further north and more remote the better. If you agree, Kyuquot is the place.

I'd recommend Murphy's if you want a good professional experience, or Slam Bang if you're looking for a more family feeling experience.

There are other good operations out there, as well as some to stay away from. Shoot me a PM if you want more info.

IronNoggin
10-12-2017, 01:17 PM
Hmm I would PM IronNoggin. .on here. .Matt knows west coast fishing...great guy..not a accurate shooter but great guy..lol
Srupp

LOL!!! :lol:

Used to be reasonably accurate, but with this damn eye issue...
Tell you what though SRUPP, if they manage to put it back together, you are definitely ON for an ol' fashioned Turkey Shoot! :tongue:

To Jmazu: Shoot me a pm. Know a bit about the Island and it's fishing, and always willing to share... :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

srupp
10-12-2017, 02:21 PM
LOL!!! :lol:

Turkeys nae reasonably accurate, but with this damn eye issue...
Tell you what though SRUPP, if they manage to put it back together, you are definitely ON for an ol' fashioned Turkey Shoot! :tongue:

To Jmazu: Shoot me a pm. Know a bit about the Island and it's fishing, and always willing to share... :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

Hmmm turkey shoot..? Is that when 2 turkeys named steven and Matt go shooting ? Lol take care of that eye Matt.
Cheers from the Cariboo
Steven

IronNoggin
10-12-2017, 02:41 PM
Hmmm turkey shoot..? Is that when 2 turkeys named Steven and Matt go shooting ?

aYup!! ;-)

Looking Forward...

Cheers,
Nog

Brez
10-12-2017, 08:56 PM
In my opinion, if you want the best experience you have to be on the outside, and the further north and more remote the better. If you agree, Kyuquot is the place.

I'd recommend Murphy's if you want a good professional experience, or Slam Bang if you're looking for a more family feeling experience.

There are other good operations out there, as well as some to stay away from. Shoot me a PM if you want more info.
X 2 on that! Check out their web site. Been going for 8 or 9 years now and it gets better each year.

Chopper
10-12-2017, 10:53 PM
I agree Kyuquot is tough to beat, But for those that cannot handle the big water outside. Campbell River's June Chinook fishery is world class

http://crsportfishing.ca/

MB_Boy
10-13-2017, 08:39 AM
As others have said....my vote would also be Kyuquot. On the outside I have fished Tofino, Ukie, Nootka and Kyuquot would be my favourite by a long shot; it's actually one of my absolute favourite places period.

One thing to bear in mind is there really isn't anything there as opposed to somewhere like Tofino, but if there for fish and the West Coast experience you can't beat it IMHO.

As a side note, 'sometimes' there are slot limits on chinook that come into play on the inside waters. This year Kyuquot didn't have one but in years past it usually kicks in around July 15th.

One other piece of advice if you choose to hit the outside waters is even if it's calm the swell can ruin a day with pukers. Even if people say "I don't get seasick" don't underestimate the swell out there as if one person gets ill the boat gets pretty small for all aboard. I always when running out offshore give people on the boat Meclizine first thing in the morning purely as a preventative measure and have yet to have anyone get sick when they've taken it and I have a buddy who is a chronic puker even on calm days. He's fine on inside water but the swell destroys him. A quick remedy that has worked wonders is I make sure he takes gravol before bed as it tends to make some people sleepy....but he's got it well in his system and then I give him Meclizine in the morning and his puking days are now in the past.

Rhyno
10-13-2017, 08:55 AM
Lances sport fishing adventures out of Tofino, has accom as well. Great guy and a fish killer.

MB_Boy
10-13-2017, 08:58 AM
Lances sport fishing adventures out of Tofino, has accom as well. Great guy and a fish killer.

He is a great guy....I know him well. Jeff from Braedy Mack in Tofino is another good one, he's a close bud and introduced me to Lance a few years back...have had great days with both.

bloody bellies
10-13-2017, 09:44 AM
not sure if he still owns it or not but Wayne ridley out of winter harbor, or try outpost at winter harbor, or qulicam charters out of winter harbor, best fishing spot down the west coast of the island in my opinion, big water though.

Whonnock Boy
10-13-2017, 10:03 AM
Wayne sold out 2 or 3 years ago, and I wouldn't be recommending Qualicum. Had some experiences there last year that were quite unbelievable.
not sure if he still owns it or not but Wayne ridley out of winter harbor, or try outpost at winter harbor, or qulicam charters out of winter harbor, best fishing spot down the west coast of the island in my opinion, big water though.

Sitkaspruce
10-13-2017, 06:55 PM
I am a Port Hardy/Winter Harbour fisher.

If you want first class fishing. David and company will go to the ends of the earth to catch fish.....but they are pricey and expect to pay for fish processing.

http://www.serengetifishingcharters.com/

Wade has a great set up as he has individual cabins that you can stay in and he catches fish!!

http://www.bearcovecottages.ca/

I like Hardy due to some great fishing in the inside waters, for those with a weaker stomach, and the town of PH offers somethings to do when you have down time. WH is a small little fishing village on the west coast that has some amazing fishing steps from the wharf. Like Kyuquot, it is an outside fishery that allows you access to salmon and bottom fish and if you are not sea worthy, you will be tossing your cookies.

I used to live and guide in Bamfield and would recommend Ian as the go to guy for fishing in Bamfield!!!! I used to fish with this guy and he knows how to catch fish!! As a bonus he is a pretty good hunter as well

http://www.bamfieldsportfishing.com/

PM me if you have any questions

Cheers

SS

Hammerhead
10-14-2017, 07:38 AM
Been going to Port Hardy and fishing with Dave Conner of Starfish Charters for the last 8+ years and always do well with him. If you have a big crew of guys he can accommodate 7 guys plus himself on the boat. Have always come back with fish with some years more than others of course but that's fishing. Salmon and ground fish.
778-227-1129
HH

Phila
10-17-2017, 09:59 PM
Wayne Ridley has retired. Ole's charters now runs a fair sized operation out of Winter Harbour. Good area for Halibut. Remote, open water exposed, love the area.