PDA

View Full Version : Fly in Drop Hunts

264mag
10-11-2017, 04:27 PM
I am thinking about doing a fly in hunt in 2019. I know of a few guys that have booked trips through different operators. Some have remote cabins that they can set you up at, others a complete drop camp.

Looking to hear what others think about both options and review/opinions on operators and charters.

I have tipi and wall tent camps but thinking a cabin would work better given the weight restrictions.

We have done a couple Tuchodi trips with Riverjet and they have been awesome. Looking at options.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

srupp
10-11-2017, 04:56 PM
Hmmm have a couple suggestions...too much to type..
Send a pm with ph. Number..I will call
Cheers
Steven

white moose
10-11-2017, 05:21 PM
You could always go outfitted with steamboat. Did it with my dad and had an awesome time, got two elk. Its horseback, but everything included. Even Seymour's humour. lol.

geo guy
10-11-2017, 06:51 PM
Did a fly in out of Dease lake this year with BC Yukon Air. We were able to get in and out with one flight each way for two of us. Coming out we had a large bull moose and decent caribou. If you keep your camp light its fairly easy to do.

twoSevenO
10-11-2017, 08:32 PM
You could always go outfitted with steamboat. Did it with my dad and had an awesome time, got two elk. Its horseback, but everything included. Even Seymour's humour. lol.

Care to share the price of such an adventure? Sounds expensive

white moose
10-11-2017, 08:53 PM
Its 350 a day per person based on 10 day hunt. So 7000 for two. I think they also do a drop off, bringing your own gear for less.
Considering the effort they put in and area you get into its reasonable.
Meals were fine and everything carried out in professional fashion. Passed on a big bull moose there

264mag
10-11-2017, 09:21 PM
Has anyone used these guys and rented a cabin?

https://www.bcresidenthunting.com/south-gataga-lake

Sharpish
10-11-2017, 09:29 PM
Its 350 a day per person based on 10 day hunt. So 7000 for two. I think they also do a drop off, bringing your own gear for less.
Considering the effort they put in and area you get into its reasonable.
Meals were fine and everything carried out in professional fashion. Passed on a big bull moose there

Outfit yourself and it will cost you 1/2 of that, and that will include the diesel to drive up to Dease and back from the LML and meat cutting/wrapping for Your moose!

srupp
10-11-2017, 10:14 PM
Hmmm average fly in costs seem to average $1200 per hunter for flights..in beaver..not otter..usually don't have 6 in a group..
Separate flight for meat will up that by $600 per hunter...beaver is 1200 pound payload..turbo beaver is 1300 pound payload. .under $10 per air mile..
Steven

twoSevenO
10-11-2017, 11:45 PM
Outfit yourself and it will cost you 1/2 of that, and that will include the diesel to drive up to Dease and back from the LML and meat cutting/wrapping for Your moose!

Not everyone has a place to keep horses and trailers and everything else required for such a hunt.

Sharpish
10-12-2017, 11:28 AM
We didn't have horses or trailers. Wall tent, canoe, and boots.

Sitkaspruce
10-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Has anyone used these guys and rented a cabin?

https://www.bcresidenthunting.com/south-gataga-lake

Its Urs place, Northern Rockies Lodge. I have hunted Netson Lake before the cabin went in and we had a great hunt!! Not sure what it is like now. I am sure the lakes he has cabins on are all busy, but if you have a boat and are not afraid to burn boot leather, you will increase your odds on being successful.

I am planning a caribou hunt in 2019 and will be digging into locations and costs this winter. Will be following this post as well.

Cheers

SS

10-12-2017, 07:22 PM
I'd like to do a fly in but have been very satisfied with Riverjet adventures ( 1 ) and Steamboat Mnt Outfitters (3) times. I'd go back to either of them again. Yes more money, but great areas ..... And well worth not sleeping in a cabin lol and roughing it a tad more.

campking
10-12-2017, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE=Sitkaspruce;1943628]Its Urs place, Northern Rockies Lodge. I have hunted Netson Lake before the cabin went in and we had a great hunt!! Not sure what it is like now. I am sure the lakes he has cabins on are all busy, but if you have a boat and are not afraid to burn boot leather, you will increase your odds on being successful.

I am planning a caribou hunt in 2019 and will be digging into locations and costs this winter. Will be following this post as well.

Cheers

SS[/QUOTE

Hi;
I did a Caribou hunt fly in with Urs if you would like more information feel free to PM me be glad to help!

1/2 slam
10-12-2017, 09:18 PM
Its Urs place, Northern Rockies Lodge. I have hunted Netson Lake before the cabin went in and we had a great hunt!! Not sure what it is like now. I am sure the lakes he has cabins on are all busy, but if you have a boat and are not afraid to burn boot leather, you will increase your odds on being successful.

Cheers

SS

Did a caribou hunt with URS and we got 2 nice 5points. PM me for more.

264mag
10-15-2017, 09:29 AM
Are there any other operators offering fly in packages? Someone told me there was an operation at the outdoor show in Abby last year that was offering fly in packages.

264mag
10-23-2017, 11:46 AM
I have been reading lots of positive reviews on Alpine Air. As a first time fly in hunter I am curious how one decides on a lake or area? Does one look to the charter operator for some guidance or suggestions?

We are flexible on the species and or combination of species, with all of the discussion and our own experience last month on the Tuchodi and Muskwa being hammered with wolves we are thinking Moose, Caribou, and possibly sheep and goats.

We are looking at 2019 for 3 hunters.

Thanks to those that offer positive comments, much appreciated.

Thanks
Chuck

Bustercluck
10-23-2017, 11:52 AM
Tagged for interest.

bighornbob
10-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Flew with Alpine air twice now (the last this august). I would recommend them in a heart beat. Great people. They even came to pick me up at the Whitehorse airport before they flew me out.

I think for the most part you have to have your lake picked out. Don't think to many outfits will tell you where to go as this could be seen as guiding/outfitting by some. They are there just to drop you off and pick you up.

BHB

I have been reading lots of positive reviews on Alpine Air. As a first time fly in hunter I am curious how one decides on a lake or area? Does one look to the charter operator for some guidance or suggestions?

We are flexible on the species and or combination of species, with all of the discussion and our own experience last month on the Tuchodi and Muskwa being hammered with wolves we are thinking Moose, Caribou, and possibly sheep and goats.

We are looking at 2019 for 3 hunters.

Thanks to those that offer positive comments, much appreciated.

Thanks
Chuck

264mag
10-23-2017, 12:05 PM
BHB,
Thanks for the feedback, trying to plan a hunt of this nature without ever being in the area makes it challenging, Thats also a reason why Riverjet and Steamboat are good options. I know in the case of Kevin at Riverjet he is very good at suggesting a spot to drop you based on your hunting style and goals.

Stew
10-23-2017, 03:59 PM
i think alpine air is based in iskut
alpine aviation is based in white horse

Bustercluck
10-23-2017, 07:03 PM
What does steamboat mtn charge for a drop off sheep hunt?

Riverjet adventures seems pretty expensive for a drop off hunt.