PDA

View Full Version : Poached Cow Moose

Bomni
10-11-2017, 01:00 PM
This is my first time posting and feel compelled to at this point. Our hunting party was in Region 7-26 hunting for Bull Moose, Spike Fork Moose, and deer from Sept 30 to Oct 8th. My hunting partner and I came across a cow moose that was taken on the Oct 7th. I believe that this was illegal but want confirmation from someone else on the dates. Now I know there was only one other party in there and they were there last year but given that when we found her their camp was packed up and gone real quick the morning we found it. We talked to them earlier and they were staying through the long weekend at least that how we interpreted it. They also left a souvenir (Spot flash light) so I am not sure what I can do regarding reporting the poaching if it is. All I know is the area they are from and the type of trucks they were driving

What can I do? Anything as I have no evidence?

huntingfamily
10-11-2017, 01:23 PM
Call the RAPP line and give them all the info you can.

REMINGTON JIM
10-11-2017, 01:26 PM
Just report your findings to the CO Service - they will interview them and if they feel there is enough evidence to start a CASE they will then WATER BOARD them till they confess and then toss them into prison for the rest of there Lives ! RJ

BigD_83
10-11-2017, 01:26 PM
There is no cow season, but there is a calf season (youth/senior) there. Could have been someone shooting what they thought was a calf.

If it is obvious the cow was killed by a gun/bowshot out of season, then you should be reporting it to RAPP and let the COs take it from there.

BRvalley
10-11-2017, 01:27 PM
positive it was a cow and not a calf?

the cow leh was not open on Oct 7 (Oct 10-25) but calf GOS was open to senior/youth

if you suspect foul play then report it, that's what the rapp line is for

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/hunting/limited-entry-hunting/leh-regulations-synopsis-2017-2018.pdf

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/hunting/regulations/2016-2018/hunting-trapping-synopsis-2016-2018-region7a.pdf

S.W.A.T.
10-11-2017, 01:53 PM
Natives target practice?

boxhitch
10-11-2017, 05:28 PM

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/conservation-app/id1151528829?mt=8

BRvalley
10-11-2017, 05:53 PM
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/conservation-app/id1151528829?mt=8

Cool tool! I'm installing it now

the comments are interesting, apparently some sketchy hunters out there....

Another snitch app.

by khufu12 We are becoming a nation of snitches. Remember what happens to snitches in jail! How about an app that points out environmentalists who break the law.

walks with deer
10-12-2017, 12:05 AM
Well this has gone down a dark path..if it was poached phone it in and let tbe law do there job...

Bomni
10-12-2017, 07:23 AM
positive it was a cow and not a calf?

the cow leh was not open on Oct 7 (Oct 10-25) but calf GOS was open to senior/youth

Yes very positive it was a cow and not a calf. They took everything but the hide and the head minus the snout. We were worried it was the bull moose we saw a few days earlier but when we flipped the head over it was clear that it was a cow.

Thanks for the link to the app reference I will install and will be contacting the RAPP line. Not a snitch just thinking about fairness and hunting legally etc ;)

Stresd
10-12-2017, 07:30 AM
Interesting. Hope your not speaking of us. We were also in 7-26. Camped a couple miles below a very large group from Victoria. Same group had been there the year before. We had three Tacoma Trucks. We Also left Sat morning as we had always intended. In no great rush. But we were done as had filled our Bull Moose Leh. Was a least 5 other groups that we met that were hunting this area though. We had nothing to do with any Cow Moose though, with the exception of watching them waiting for a Bull to appear

BRvalley
10-12-2017, 08:26 AM
Not a snitch just thinking about fairness and hunting legally etc ;)

good on you for caring, I'd do the same and hope others would too...just found that comment surprising, but proves the need for the reporting app I suppose

Bugle M In
10-12-2017, 09:19 AM
the snitch comment that I saw...is absolutely ridiculous, and stupid comment.
I have no issues reporting game casualties from poaching or misidentification etc.
Hunter have to follow the rules....period.
I hike in for 2 hours, straight uphill, and then some a-hole drives in with his truck/quad, in a road closure are...
of course I am going o report it!!!
sweat my bag off, and someone else just goes.."who cares"!!
If that makes me a snitch....fine by me...but your still getting reported!
Nothing wrong about reporting what you saw...takes pics of everything...tire tracks included.
If it was legal, then all is good....but CO's will look into it if you report it...
Although sometimes I am sure they don't have the time or resources for every kill...but...
if they get several reports, from several incidents in the same area, they will be on it.

RJHunter
10-12-2017, 10:05 AM
I agree with calling it in but I don't agree with pointing fingers with no evidence. If you didn't see them shoot, retrieve or transport it you have no right to accuse anyone. Not saying you did... but if you are discussing with other hunters in the area and are suggesting one group did it, that groups reputation can be damaged. I know I would be pissed if someone was suggesting my group was poaching because a dead cow was found in the area. I was called in for shooting an elk out of season because someone saw the antler sticking out from under a tarp in our trailer on the BC ferry. Definitely a hunter if they knew it was out of season. It was a moose from NE BC and was completely legal but I'm sure the hunter who called it in thought they had the facts straight. I'm not saying you shouldn't report the find but hunters also need to treat each other with respect and not damage trust over a hunch.

hunter fisher
10-13-2017, 05:38 PM
A decent sized portion of 7-26 is traditional hunting territory for the local FN, up near the Middle river if i remember correctly. good chance its a "sustenance" kill.

srupp
10-13-2017, 06:12 PM
Hmm did you say..The nose was missing? Hmmmmm very special place in aboriginal cusine.....
Steven

REMINGTON JIM
10-13-2017, 06:57 PM
Steve you thinking a Stewart of The Land FN could poss be responsible ? :tongue: RJ

Stresd
10-14-2017, 09:26 AM
Only saw two trucks with FN that looked to be hunting. One with two fn didn't want to talk to us. The other, by himself stopped us to ask if we had seen any black bear and if so where. Was a Nice guy. Didn't think he was targeting Moose as he was really motoring/ripping up and down all the side roads off the main. Blackies is what he was after. Of which there is no shortage where we were. Saw 5 in the week I was there. During the long conversation he told me that his son had taken a nice Bull the weekend before, just down the road from where we were talking.
As Steve said . Moose Nose seems to be a Delicacy to FN's.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/how-to-prepare-moose-nose-the-gwich-in-way-1.2926713

Moose Tongue is awesome. Now that I have the recipe, I will have to try some Nose Soup when the next Bullwinkle goes down.

Bomni
10-16-2017, 12:43 PM
Interesting. Hope your not speaking of us. We were also in 7-26. Camped a couple miles below a very large group from Victoria. Same group had been there the year before. We had three Tacoma Trucks. We Also left Sat morning as we had always intended. In no great rush. But we were done as had filled our Bull Moose Leh. Was a least 5 other groups that we met that were hunting this area though. We had nothing to do with any Cow Moose though, with the exception of watching them waiting for a Bull to appear

The group you are referring to was our group and no I am not suggesting it was your group (as some people might think I am) as you are also regulars there like us and that would be silly:roll:. As you mentioned there were many other groups hunting in the area.When I spoke to the CO he said it is possible that it could have be a FN but again I did witness the shot itself. I am just saddened by this action.

On a side note how big of a bull moose did your group get?