PDA

View Full Version : Calling Moose

bc traper
10-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Hi Wondering if it is to late to call a moose out? Is the rut over? We have been calling Had one bull come in but never grunted at all and ran off before it would come into the open. We had cows answering our first cow call but would not respond after that.
Any info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

I called in a bull on Sunday (zone 5) but he winded me and took off before I could get a shot. Monday morning I called him in again, and was able to drop the hammer on him. Don't give up! I'm a first-timer, but have been told that they will come to calls until the 20th...

whitlers
10-10-2017, 09:54 PM
We called all last week and were able to harvest two bulls. One at 75 yards other at 25. I still think it was luck as I don't have the best cow call haha

moosecaller
10-10-2017, 09:58 PM
The bulls are still in rut call away!

srupp
10-10-2017, 10:04 PM
Keep calling..they are still in the rut and will respond..still prime..

In conjunction with buck expert soaked tampons..

Some bulls are leary..they call once or 2x..then go silent..i believe with all the wolf action..they don't want to advertise moose buffet in isle number 5...
The bull did come in..so no problem with the issue of calling..and the rut being on...
I suspect a errant swirling wind blew you out..
Also when calling titration of the volume level..to match the approach of the bull. ...important that when he calls..you answer..
Also before you get a reply..call every 15 minutes..stay put for the day. .give him..them..a specific location to head for..to..
Hope this helps a bit...
Cheers
Srupp

srupp
10-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Ps...call from open meadows..cut blocks..along ROUND lakes..places where your voice will travel longest distance..not in deep forest..that chokes off your distance..call as loud as you can..then listen as hard as you can..
Srupp

bc traper
10-10-2017, 10:19 PM
Thanks The wind has been bad almost every day Will keep trying

srupp
10-10-2017, 10:23 PM
Hmmm JUST got a email from another successful hunter called a pretty big bull out at last light tonight..photo is of pretty damn decent bull..hunter said he was horse from calling..lol that's why you pack Halls cough drops..
Congrads Charles..

Yes strong wind chokes down your call, limits distance. .and your ability to hear replies and incoming loaded..
Srupp

Buckmeister
10-10-2017, 10:36 PM
We have a group LEH for an area with only 5 authorizations, and I just so happen to know someone in both of the other groups. I talked to one guy tonight and they were able to call in a bull a few days ago.
I also recall a story from about 8 years ago or so, some logging was going on nearby in a moose rich area. I heard the machines (processors or bunchers) working from a distance and noted that they sounded a bit like a calling cow. Then I heard from someone who had talked to one of the operators of one of the machines. The guy had been busy knocking down trees, and then he turned his machine around to find not one, but three bulls standing within 50 or so yards away, looking around for this really horny cow they had heard.
So I tend to think that if you even sound remotely close to a cow, you have a chance of calling in a bull if he can hear you.

bc traper
10-10-2017, 10:42 PM
Thanks You are giving us some hope

Drillbit
10-10-2017, 11:47 PM
Thanks You are giving us some hope

Now is prime time.

sparkes3
10-14-2017, 07:22 AM
we came down from region 7 yesterday and seems like they would come in to a fart.
we saw more moose this trip than I have seen put together In b.c since 1995.
we got two leh bulls and a youth calf.
party of 6.

srupp
10-14-2017, 09:41 AM
we came down from region 7 yesterday and seems like they would come in to a fart.
we saw more moose this trip than I have seen put together In b.c since 1995.
we got two leh bulls and a youth calf.
party of 6.

Congradulations. Well done, fun, tasty..
Steven

Fella
10-14-2017, 09:44 AM
We had a shared draw a couple years ago for November, called in 2 bulls at once November 1, hunt over after first morning.

sparkes3
10-14-2017, 08:29 PM
thanks myself and my two sons each tagged our first b.c moose

sapper
10-14-2017, 09:22 PM
In conjunction with buck expert soaked tampons..
Srupp
what is this soaked tampon business? I read another post recently about such antics.
Who knows, maybe it would have helped our unsuccessful hunt in 5-1. We did our part to keep game numbers up in the area. :-)

srupp
10-14-2017, 09:52 PM
Hmm used horse in heat urine..some labeled as actual moose urine? Hmmmm Betty used this and passed this strategy on..we used torn up pillow case strip. .i changed to tampons..as they are light, inexpensive, soak up lots of urine and come with own tie up string.
Why the urine ? Moose find each other by cows calling..and peeing which has hormone levels that change as she gets near peak receptive time, bulls have a : organ in the roof of their mouths..they literally taste the air for receptive cows...
Hang the tampons high in the open..so winds carry the scent..and Thermal take the scent up and down in elevation..i chose trees branches that tent the scent dispenser from rain snow.
The urine will attract bulls moving during the rut..holding them in the area..works while your sleeping eating..24..7
It's part of a strategy. .
Cow calls...with the added stimulus of the scent stimulus truly befudfles these love crazed behemoths..
In these northern tree covered areas..they only have 3 senses to find a lovely lady..listen for her call..it's the females that initiate these encounters..then the peeing...hey big boy I'm ready..no questions asked.the site stimulus is very short ranged location stimulus.
Here in region 5 in past 3 years..know of 25 bulls shot within 50 yards of these scent tampons .
This year one at 40 yards from scent..the other 70? Yards..
If a bull hears you call..doesn't have to be great call..more of location..here I am..then gets the added stimulus of fermone" estrus" pee he is even more convinced .
Covers your scent as well..been working as cover scent for decades...

Once placed I never go back to check. .don't want my human scent in there..i locate 100...150 yards..to call..
I don't use montana decoy because too many anxious overzealous hunters throw lead and sort out the mess later..

Moose eyes are 10 inches apart..ears are 11 inches..so 31..33 inches ear tip to ear tip plus satelight" dish rreceivers. .aka horns amplify your calls..highly effective location devices..PLUS a nose the size of a loaf of bread....all the better to smell you my deer...
Use everything you can....
Cheers
Steven

Caribou_lou
10-14-2017, 09:56 PM
I'd say not prime time for calling. The cows will be out of there first heat and will be coming back into another late October if they weren't serviced start of October. But the bulls would likely still be interested if you threw a call out on a cool frosty morning. Call away! Can't hurt

boxhitch
10-15-2017, 06:49 AM
good info srupp
method must use up a lot of liquid though

srupp
10-15-2017, 07:06 AM
good info srupp
method must use up a lot of liquid though

Thanks..actually you have to really concentrate on using lots..1 bottle will easily do 18 " applicator dispensor"....bottles vary but $25 seems average.and use it all up..once oxidized by the air it does go sour..new bottle every season .bottles we got at Canadian Tire...roughly a tin of pops volume?
Srupp

whitetailsheds
10-15-2017, 06:30 PM
Call, call, call!!! Side bonus to calling is wolves coming in!! Choot 'em......good shot Jim!!

lip_ripper00
10-16-2017, 05:18 AM
Hmm used horse in heat urine..some labeled as actual moose urine? Hmmmm Betty used this and passed this strategy on..we used torn up pillow case strip. .i changed to tampons..as they are light, inexpensive, soak up lots of urine and come with own tie up string.
Why the urine ? Moose find each other by cows calling..and peeing which has hormone levels that change as she gets near peak receptive time, bulls have a : organ in the roof of their mouths..they literally taste the air for receptive cows...
Hang the tampons high in the open..so winds carry the scent..and Thermal take the scent up and down in elevation..i chose trees branches that tent the scent dispenser from rain snow.
The urine will attract bulls moving during the rut..holding them in the area..works while your sleeping eating..24..7
It's part of a strategy. .
Cow calls...with the added stimulus of the scent stimulus truly befudfles these love crazed behemoths..
In these northern tree covered areas..they only have 3 senses to find a lovely lady..listen for her call..it's the females that initiate these encounters..then the peeing...hey big boy I'm ready..no questions asked.the site stimulus is very short ranged location stimulus.
Here in region 5 in past 3 years..know of 25 bulls shot within 50 yards of these scent tampons .
This year one at 40 yards from scent..the other 70? Yards..
If a bull hears you call..doesn't have to be great call..more of location..here I am..then gets the added stimulus of fermone" estrus" pee he is even more convinced .
Covers your scent as well..been working as cover scent for decades...

Once placed I never go back to check. .don't want my human scent in there..i locate 100...150 yards..to call..
I don't use montana decoy because too many anxious overzealous hunters throw lead and sort out the mess later..

Moose eyes are 10 inches apart..ears are 11 inches..so 31..33 inches ear tip to ear tip plus satelight" dish rreceivers. .aka horns amplify your calls..highly effective location devices..PLUS a nose the size of a loaf of bread....all the better to smell you my deer...
Use everything you can....
Cheers
Steven

this is without a doubt some of the best information I have read here in a long time, thanks Steven!