PDA

View Full Version : Which slopes?

Husky7mm
08-05-2007, 12:10 PM
For the early season hunting in the alpine, which facing slopes tend to hold the most game?

locdog_99
08-05-2007, 12:17 PM
south slope?

Hunter4life
08-05-2007, 12:52 PM
I have found game on all slopes during the early season but apparently the north slopes are preferred since it is cooler.

h4l

lapadat
08-05-2007, 10:02 PM
In the Skagit range, muley's have been spotted on west and north facing slopes....I would imagine the heat would be uncomfortable on south facing slopes during the early season

let us know what you find out

lap

Jelvis
08-05-2007, 10:22 PM
North facing slopes, until, cold deeper snow, then south facing in late fall/early winter. That's what I know in the areas I hunt but that's at winter range, 3900ft level and lower. Deer do not like to be in warm sun over 16 degree celcius. That's 60 degrees Fahrenhiet. Believe it or not?

horshur
08-05-2007, 11:10 PM
North facing slopes, until, cold deeper snow, then south facing in late fall/early winter. That's what I know in the areas I hunt but that's at winter range, 3900ft level and lower. Deer do not like to be in warm sun over 16 degree celcius. That's 60 degrees Fahrenhiet. Believe it or not?

hey--I had a go at this with some on another board. Even posted some studies done on Mule deer and when they overheat--surprising to say the least--anyway my big rant was that cold weather in november saw more active rutting behavior than warmer weather--warmer weather sees more nightime rutting. That heavy winter coat on a fat mulie buck see's him overheat easily. I couldn't convice anyone--what do you think??? A buck is going to breed a doe regardless of the weather when she is in estrus but cold weather makes for dramatic bedroom activity in the daytime.ie good hunting.

Husky7mm
08-06-2007, 07:50 PM
WOuld they bed and feed on the same slope at that time of year?

Jelvis
08-06-2007, 08:58 PM
A mule deer has more hair per square inch in it's summer coat than winter coat. Yes they still breed the same time each year because of photo periodism ( deers life cycles are controlled by the amount of daylight entering their eyes ) but the crispy colder weather stimulates activity. Also deer don't sweat thru sweat glands, they cool like a dog by the air that goes in the lungs, they pant like a dog to cool. Deer are affected by the phases of the moon (long story) too much to explain. Anyways deer seek shade they don't like direct sun rays unless 5 degrees cecius and lower. BELIEVE IT OR NOT?
Husky7mm Deer will use trails from feeding to bedding, bedding to feeding. Deer are prey animals the predator follows their trail so deer feed and move feed and move plant to plant. It's a complicated and complex system, much study and ideas. Mule deer crap every two hours. They chew the cud because they eat quick and hide while they digest to protect themselves. Just when you think you have them figured out they will slip you. Deer feed needs water, sunshine and proper soil conditions to be nutritional. Hunting pressure changes things too, so many variables. The best is get to know an area, see where they feed and bed and water, know escape trails, cross over trails etc then you will recognize the deers habitat when you see it. Jelly Donut Good luck

lapadat
08-06-2007, 10:25 PM
I can't comment much on mule/bt deer movement and behavior in the alpine b/c i just haven't seen enough critters to form any educated opinon.

I have gathered a fair bit of generic day to day deer movement information while scouting/hunting and chatting with other hunters and provincial bio's. From what i've gathered deer movement is dictated by predator avoidance...first and foremost. The deer in my area (fraser valley) move late in the morning nearly all year round. They may feed at first light but peak activity for BT's and to some degree Muley's is 9 or 10 am...... By 11 am, they are bedded down or otherwise not out in the open areas feeding. If I were looking for an alpine buck in my area during mid-day (not sure why I'd be out hunting at that time) I'd be pushing bush with a buddy or glassing for tines/eyes/ears in the thick stuf. They"ll be bedded in the timber (for many reasons) and close to their feeding areas....I'd say less than 300 meters...sometimes within a few meters. I see lots of beds in the alpine under a small solitary tree dab smack in the middle of an alpine meadow/rocky slope.

My information for fraser valley deer (not urban ding dongs) is different than jelvis'. For example, I have shot some mature BT bucks who were in direct sunlight in 10-15 degree celcius weather on a cloudless day. They were not moving from one area to another nor where they pushed by a hunter or predator, they were simply feeding away. Also, tarpman spotted a very nice 4 pt buck a few weeks ago (during the record setting temp day for chwk 36-37degrees) at 3:00 pm in the afternoon beside a road having a little mid-day snack.....there was a breeze but im sure the temp was well above 20. Maybe its all different with Muley's.

Another bit of experience for rut deer in warm weather. The two bucks that Tarpman and I shot last year within minutes of each other were shot on Nov 18 at 0937 hrs hot on the tail of a lady deer. The temp was approx 8-10 degrees with periods of clouds and sunny breaks.....they were in timber but the sun still shone threw in many areas.

The question isn't when do bucks rut....the question is when do does come into estrus AND what causes her to become receptive???? daylight/time/temp/diet/health????

Jelvis
08-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Deer use smelling and hearing, plus eyesight for protection. Deer can't see an object well, if it's motionless. A deers scent pads on the outside of lower back legs when it lays down, picks up vibrations. If you stand very still or sit in the bush, or walk really slow you will hear better then when your walking fast. A deer is the same but a deer can stand for hours, in one spot or lay for days in a bed. A deer doesn't have to go to an appointment or drive the kids to school, they live in the bush 24 7 everyday and night. They know their environment. The best way to know what the deer are doing, is to hunt and hike, scout an area. See the deer beds, the trails, the scrapes, tracks, manure, deer hair, dropped off antlers, etc. Read posts and mags etc. Then put it all together. Slopes north west early, then south east later. There's always an exception to the norm, there is no void area. Nature uses all of it's domain. Number one, is get out in the bush, that's where you will get a chance. Keep on keepin on. good scouting to you. Jel

hunter1947
08-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Always north east facing slops ,look at it this way if you had your winter coat on wear would you go to get out of the sun ???.

lapadat
08-07-2007, 09:44 AM
No offence Hunter, I know you've killed a lot of critters.

I would caution against using RULES for deer hunting and words like 'always' or 'never'.

Most animals are patternable, however, they aren't pre-programmed robots either.

lap

horshur
08-07-2007, 09:58 AM

I would caution against using RULES for deer hunting and words like 'always' or 'never'.

Most animals are patternable, however, they aren't pre-programmed robots either.

lap

what do they do in general--I seen big muley bucks out in alfalfa fields in town limits of Keremeos in 40 degree weather--

rollingrock
08-07-2007, 10:00 AM
When I was driving around on a main logging road right at noon in 25 degree of temperature the other day, I saw a huge buck feeding on the roadside. Unexpected at that time of the day. But then I figured that was because there wasn't any traffic at that time, and I wasn't surprised at the same time because that was one of my favorite spots where I've seen nice bucks and shot a nice one before. I agree that the movement of deer is mostly about predator avoidance.

frenchbar
08-07-2007, 10:17 AM
hey--I had a go at this with some on another board. Even posted some studies done on Mule deer and when they overheat--surprising to say the least--anyway my big rant was that cold weather in november saw more active rutting behavior than warmer weather--warmer weather sees more nightime rutting. That heavy winter coat on a fat mulie buck see's him overheat easily. I couldn't convice anyone--what do you think??? A buck is going to breed a doe regardless of the weather when she is in estrus but cold weather makes for dramatic bedroom activity in the daytime.ie good hunting. when im hunting areas up high in late oct ,early nov,ive found the bucks like to do there rutting in the cold weather during the day also .more times than not its on north facing slopes covered in snow.

hunter1947
08-07-2007, 12:01 PM

lap The majority of the deer family ETC that i have found when hunting them the first part of Sept have been on the north east slopes. Right now ase we speak they still have there summer coats and it is like having a tee shirt on ,rather then a fur coat on ,this applies to very hot areas ,like cranbrook wear it gets up to the mid 30c. And yes you will find animals on the south facing slops at this time of the year ,but i find them less on the south rather then the north side. In early mornings you will see some in fields ,but soon after sun up they head for cover ,you might find the odd one out there in the open well after sun up ,but few and far between. Usly when you find deer out in the open late in the day or afternoon ,they feel safe were they are. Ase fare as elk go i can tell you this ,most elk i hunt in the first part of Sept are on the northeast slops. As for most animals into the first part of Oct and on into Nov they will move almost anywhere wear they will feel safe and the same time will do there rut.

oldtimer
08-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Look for the shady slopes until late in the season when it is bitter cold. It is my experience that mulies don't sunbathe unless they are freezing.

Jelvis
08-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Hunting pressure pushes deer to places people don't like to go, like the top of hills or on a steep thick covered slope after the season starts, If deer are in a private ranch setting in the ranchers huge property, surrounded by fences they will be there all season cuz you can't trespass and the deer stay within the huge acreages living all year. On Crown land hunting pressure changes things all around, the shots fired and all the people. Weather affects deer, the rut changes behaviour, moon phases and so on. Air drops down slopes at night and early morning then as a air warms rises up til late afternoon, hunt accordingly. Good luck!

slowkey
08-07-2007, 01:55 PM
you just got to be at the right place at the rigth time