PDA

View Full Version : Mushrooms

wos
10-09-2017, 06:34 PM
I was wondering why I haven't seen any shaggy mains in my area. I guess it's because it was so dry? well I don't have a deer liver to go with them so I really feel like I'm missing out. It can only get better from here.

Harvest the Land
10-09-2017, 06:45 PM
Saw a few start to show last week, and saw more this morning. I live in the lower wasteland (not sure where your area is) but they're starting to pop up here

Greenthumbed
10-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Saw some fresh ones today.

twoSevenO
10-09-2017, 07:34 PM
Haven't seen any where my dad and I usually pick them here in Langley.

Haven't tried morels yet but I doubt you can get better than shaggy mains.

Anyone know where Morels or Porcinis grow? Haven't found either one where I hunt.

Ghengis Khandrey
10-09-2017, 07:42 PM
You can find morels in areas that have been burned by a forest fire. The more recent the better!

j270wsm
10-09-2017, 07:45 PM
Had them growing in my lawn last week.

Darksith
10-09-2017, 07:46 PM
You can find morels in areas that have been burned by a forest fire. The more recent the better!

I thought not this years fires but last seasons fires? Aren't they a spring mushroom?

Greenthumbed
10-09-2017, 08:01 PM
I pick morels in the spring. I've never heard of them growing in the fall. Last years burns are a good place to start (wildfire or slash pile burns). Mixed pine/fir stands are good too. I picked most of mine this spring in town on vacant lots and neighbouring lawns.

Morels are excellent table fair. I've not tried shaggy manes before, but maybe I should. I always heard they did not mix well with alcohol. I gave up the bottle awhile back so maybe it's safe to try them now!

S.W.A.T.
10-09-2017, 08:13 PM
Morels usually grow in the spring following the fire, in my experience anyway

blackbart
10-09-2017, 08:14 PM
Morels and liquor don't mix well, trust me. Otherwise Delic.

srupp
10-09-2017, 09:26 PM
I have picked morels..and brain mushrooms..has anyone here eaten brain mushrooms?
Srupp

twoSevenO
10-09-2017, 09:32 PM
Had them growing in my lawn last week.

Yeah but where do you live.

Greenthumbed
10-10-2017, 06:03 AM
Morels and liquor don't mix well, trust me. Otherwise Delic.

I have picked morels..and brain mushrooms..has anyone here eaten brain mushrooms?
Srupp
I have never picked or eaten "brain mushrooms" (Gyromitra esculenta). I call them false morels. They are poisonous!

Squamch
10-10-2017, 07:03 AM
I have never picked or eaten "brain mushrooms" (Gyromitra esculenta). I call them false morels. They are poisonous!

Correct! Don't eat false morels!

I like chanterelles, puffballs, lobsters, boletes, and chicken of the woods. I've found boars head too, but they're always filled with bugs.
Personal favourite though, is shrimp russulas. Gotta be careful though, they don't agree with some folks guts.

Ryo
10-10-2017, 07:34 AM
A lot of euros eat the false morels, boiling them for a while to remove the toxins. I don't touch them. There are about a dozen edible species in BC that are really really easy to ID and pick - many more for the experienced picker.

Learn your mushrooms, and learn their habitats! A bag of chanterelles is a nice consolation prize after a failed deer hunt...

Ajsawden
10-10-2017, 08:57 AM
I was picking on Sunday. Got about 5-6lbs of Shaggy Manes and 25lbs of Chantrelles. Cowichan Area.

albravo2
10-10-2017, 09:02 AM
I saw a whack of shaggy mains in Prince George last week but the cold nights were pretty hard on them. Chanterelles are just starting to pop at the elevations we hunt in Squamish. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned pine mushroomss yet. The mushroom buyer in Mt. Currie seems to have closed up shop, selling his house, so I wonder if the supply of pines will increase this year. In the past the easy areas got picked over pretty quick and folks were pretty territorial because a lot of money was at stake.

srupp
10-10-2017, 09:50 AM
Hmmm picked couple hundred pounds of brains for sale ..for eating..don't look like morels again.
Steven

BCHunterFSJ
10-10-2017, 10:54 AM
Just had a shaggy mane omelet for breakfast... Delicious!

ForestWalker10
10-10-2017, 12:02 PM
the only good mushrooms are the ones that open up your mind.

Walking Buffalo
10-10-2017, 12:24 PM

The mushrooms say That's rude, you've got a bad attitude.

Maybe they will teach you, but not until you learn to open up your mind.

MichelD
10-10-2017, 12:29 PM
Mrs. and me went to two of her fave spots this weekend. No brittle gills, no chanterelles, no boleti. Everything is painfully late in our quickly accessible spots near Vancouver. A Facebook friend posted a pic of her son and gf with two big bowls of chanterelles but they were from who knows where?

A neighbour gave us a cauliflower 'shroom last week. that was good.

ForestWalker10
10-10-2017, 02:31 PM
The mushrooms say That's rude, you've got a bad attitude.

Maybe they will teach you, but not until you learn to open up your mind.

wow.......................ok...................... ............hahahaha. not even worth my time on this one.

j270wsm
10-10-2017, 04:16 PM
Yeah but where do you live.

Little town in the elk valley called Elkford. My house sits just shy of 4200'. I pay to have my lawn professionally fertilized so I was really surprised to see them growing in my lawn

Greenthumbed
10-10-2017, 04:17 PM
I picked a nice group of oyster mushrooms today.

floden
10-10-2017, 07:46 PM
Saw a bunch of shaggy manes this weekend outside Pemby - but I hate them so I left them for others. Found 3 boletes and that was it. It's still pretty dry at the elevation we were at. Our usual spot usually gives us 3-5 of the 5 gallon ( wine buckets of course !)--- but I think it's a bit too early.

I have found morels in the in the fall in 5-1, but I was surprised to see it. I know my morels and this one as in a weird spot- never seen anything there before.

with the hunting season underway I'm gonna focus on that now....thx for the Intel on the mount currie guy- we were wondering why no one was buying....

TexasWalker
10-10-2017, 09:39 PM
Hmmm picked couple hundred pounds of brains for sale ..for eating..don't look like morels again.
Steven

You're selling false morels??

Squamch
10-11-2017, 06:49 AM
A lot of euros eat the false morels, boiling them for a while to remove the toxins. I don't touch them. There are about a dozen edible species in BC that are really really easy to ID and pick - many more for the experienced picker.

Learn your mushrooms, and learn their habitats! A bag of chanterelles is a nice consolation prize after a failed deer hunt...

Emphasis on knowing! Last year I found guys with a freezer bag full of....I don't know what. The bright orange ones that grow in clumps in the middle of old roads. They told me they were chanterelles. I showed them an actual chamterelle and recommended a book!

Dannybuoy
10-11-2017, 06:56 AM
Emphasis on knowing! Last year I found guys with a freezer bag full of....I don't know what. The bright orange ones that grow in clumps in the middle of old roads. They told me they were chanterelles. I showed them an actual chamterelle and recommended a book!
I,ve picked and ate alot of those .... definitely not chanterelles but tasty . Absolutely should be positive of the ID of any shrooms you eat .

Ddog
10-15-2017, 04:44 PM
friends picked about 50 or so in my yard today in Cranbrook.

Bugle M In
10-15-2017, 04:53 PM

Oh boy, its been a long time since those days.....
Where is the best source in the LM these days???(might help my pain management?)

PKernohan
10-15-2017, 05:37 PM
Oh boy, its been a long time since those days.....
Where is the best source in the LM these days???(might help my pain management?)

I've been on the lookout for the last few weeks and have yet to find any. I use them for depression and it works wonders, lots of new science out there showing they actually slow down areas in the brain that are over active in patients who are depressed, not to mention the benefits of s simple shift in perception. So if you find a nice field or happen upon a patch or two I'd really like to hear about it.

Xenomorph
10-15-2017, 05:40 PM
Mrs. and me went to two of her fave spots this weekend. No brittle gills, no chanterelles, no boleti. Everything is painfully late in our quickly accessible spots near Vancouver. A Facebook friend posted a pic of her son and gf with two big bowls of chanterelles but they were from who knows where?

A neighbour gave us a cauliflower 'shroom last week. that was good.

Should have packed out a couple buckets out of your elk draw area. SW of that mountain is a wicked spot for them.

Xenomorph
10-15-2017, 05:42 PM
Nothing better than fresh oyster mushrooms with a bit reduced sauce and a nice fresh deer steak on the downpour. I'm telling you, it mends the heart. Then you get back to the city, and remember why you ****ing hate it.

*sigh*

wos
10-15-2017, 05:48 PM
Well we got the deer liver for tonight still no mushrooms. We also saw the first snow fall so I'm guessing I'm out of luck this year.

Bugle M In
10-16-2017, 10:02 AM
I've been on the lookout for the last few weeks and have yet to find any. I use them for depression and it works wonders, lots of new science out there showing they actually slow down areas in the brain that are over active in patients who are depressed, not to mention the benefits of s simple shift in perception. So if you find a nice field or happen upon a patch or two I'd really like to hear about it.

May consider growing at home?!

Very little research on them, but there seems to be some strong supporting evidence that some shrooms will have
major positive health potentials in the future.
Lack of studies is due to drug companies not wanting to lose some cash because of their potential.
1 in particular seems to out due methadone treatments for opioid addicted people in just 24 hrs!

Sorry to the OP for being off topic.....but it's nice to share:-P

PKernohan
10-16-2017, 11:00 AM
May consider growing at home?!

Very little research on them, but there seems to be some strong supporting evidence that some shrooms will have
major positive health potentials in the future.
Lack of studies is due to drug companies not wanting to lose some cash because of their potential.
1 in particular seems to out due methadone treatments for opioid addicted people in just 24 hrs!

Sorry to the OP for being off topic.....but it's nice to share:-P

I've gone that route in the past. It was a fun project but a bit of a PITA. Plus I have no more spore prints/syringes to start from.

There's actually quite a bit of science out, more coming every day. http://reset.me/studies/ this is a fantastic site, with many scientific studies and papers regarding "alternate" medicine.

I as well will echo the apology to the OP, sorry for the derailment!