PDA

View Full Version : Moose hunt closure BCWF??

flyboy
10-08-2017, 11:41 AM
Hello BCWF??? Anyone around???
Just wondering if you heard the news about the moose closure in the Caribou?
Can we get a response from you?
I need to know where you stand on a closure for certain B.C. residents

krispykritters
10-10-2017, 05:00 AM
Hello.. i believe in conservation and protecting moose populations but to only close it for licenced white peoples is absurd!! It should be closed to everyone especially first nations who take population producing cows.. I think its time to do a protest!!

drakfero
10-10-2017, 07:03 AM
I heard one native guy got 24 moose last year and he was selling the meat.. How the moose can survive this way???

Buckmeister
10-10-2017, 09:46 AM
BCWF has membership on this site. But I just checked their profile which told me the last time they logged on or had any activity on HBC was July 17, 2017. So it would seem that HBC isn't of high importance to them. A quick look at their signature shows however that they encourage people to use facebook or twitter to contact or promote(?) BCWF. So if anyone has any questions, maybe use those media streams???

https://www.facebook.com/BCWildlifeFederation

Twitter- @BCWildlife

Bugle M In
10-11-2017, 12:42 PM
Personnally, the BCWF lacks teeth....always have.
I am not taking away from the members there that take a lot of time to help wildlife in BC...they do a lot....try to.
But, as for truly representing hunters in BC, with a voice, or as a "lobbyist group" for BC Resident Hunters, they have
"0" effect.
Something to do with how this federation is organized/tax reason/funding, they basically have heir hands tied.
Maybe they need to consider "disbanding", then coming back in a way, under a different name, under a different
organization, where they can actually make a difference for hunters on the "political front".
Become something more like the NRA is in the States.???
But, however it is set up right now, it won't work or benefit us as hunters.....no teeth.
Couldn't do anything during the GOABC LEH fiasco, and, they will have nothing to add to help against the
different rules applied for RH and the different rules for FN.
And right now, the FN are pushing hard and all day long.....they have lawyers, and are pushing the envelope,
and government that exists right now, is making it easy for them....even helping them.
I never see them "hitting the media" or even "hitting back in the media".
If it wasn't for other members here posting some of the changes and ongoings in our province and some of the issues at hand, I would be in the "total dark".
Too much "faith" in the BCWF by some folks here that they will make a difference...

Opinionated Ol Phart
10-11-2017, 03:11 PM
Oh yes-- the BCWF can just wave a magic wand and everything will be flowers and light!!!!!

So tell me Bugle M In-- what have you done lately to change things you dont like ???? Have you managed to get our Constitution changed so all of us are on an equal level???? No ?? I didnt think so...............

rimfire
10-11-2017, 03:54 PM
Oh yes-- the BCWF can just wave a magic wand and everything will be flowers and light!!!!!

So tell me Bugle M In-- what have you done lately to change things you dont like ???? Have you managed to get our Constitution changed so all of us are on an equal level???? No ?? I didnt think so...............

Username checks out...

Wild one
10-11-2017, 04:13 PM
Personnally, the BCWF lacks teeth....always have.
I am not taking away from the members there that take a lot of time to help wildlife in BC...they do a lot....try to.
But, as for truly representing hunters in BC, with a voice, or as a "lobbyist group" for BC Resident Hunters, they have
"0" effect.
Something to do with how this federation is organized/tax reason/funding, they basically have heir hands tied.
Maybe they need to consider "disbanding", then coming back in a way, under a different name, under a different
organization, where they can actually make a difference for hunters on the "political front".
Become something more like the NRA is in the States.???
But, however it is set up right now, it won't work or benefit us as hunters.....no teeth.
Couldn't do anything during the GOABC LEH fiasco, and, they will have nothing to add to help against the
different rules applied for RH and the different rules for FN.
And right now, the FN are pushing hard and all day long.....they have lawyers, and are pushing the envelope,
and government that exists right now, is making it easy for them....even helping them.
I never see them "hitting the media" or even "hitting back in the media".
If it wasn't for other members here posting some of the changes and ongoings in our province and some of the issues at hand, I would be in the "total dark".
Too much "faith" in the BCWF by some folks here that they will make a difference...

Agree with a lot of what your say but when it comes to FN BCWF can only talk and cross their fingers. FN issues are not easy to deal with do to their political power do to their rights

Hate to say it but all the hunters in BC don't have the teeth to deal with FN issues.

Bugle M In
10-11-2017, 05:41 PM
Agree with a lot of what your say but when it comes to FN BCWF can only talk and cross their fingers. FN issues are not easy to deal with do to their political power do to their rights

Hate to say it but all the hunters in BC don't have the teeth to deal with FN issues.

No, when only a few (Resident hunters and some Sports fisherman) are concerned about the ongoings of the FN,
and the political debauchery that is going on federally and provincially, there is no bite in those teeth.
As most people don't even know what is going on....although, I guess if they, or there relatives in the near future
travel to a Park, say like Jasper, and start taking pictures of "gutpiles" beside the highway, then maybe, just maybe,
they will start asking "what the hell is going on".
I don't blame the BCWF either....really, in easy understandable terms, the BCWF is just here for "wildlife".
Yes, hunters benefit from them, by them trying to aid and direct government (in the past that is), to where issues lay
in terms of "this area needs improvement for moose", or "over here needs assistance for salmon".
And, we as hunters support them thru membership and donations etc.
Thus the federation/hunter fisherman relationship, but, in the end, they are similar to the WSS, who help sheep.
Neither of these 2 have any relationship in regards to "preserving resident hunter rights and freedoms".
They both need hunters to continue to exist in any real manner.....but....seems like resident hunters are on the
"extinction list".
In the end, I don't care what happens to WSS or BCWF, if I can't hunt anywhere anymore, or to a degree that it just
makes it downright ridiculous to even attempt the "gauntlet" in the future.
Without us, hunters and fisherman, they are nothing.
And for the most part, being with them, hasn't shown any signs of being beneficial, atleast not in a long time.
How many members are there?
How many "licensed hunters and fisherman" exist in BC?
Must be a great deal of separation in those numbers.
Now, if there was an Organization/Association, that was "truly" for BC Sportsman (Resident Hunters/Sports Fisherman),
and the only role was to "further our voice", then maybe that membership would have a much larger number.??
Just saying.
As for getting other people who don't care or don't know....
All I can di is bring up subjects like this a dinner conversations/gatherings.
You would be surprised how "interested" some of the "misinformed" are....
IT's starts with talk, to everyone and anyone who will give the time to listen.
And, maybe one day, we have something in place that give us a voice.
But it better be sooner then later...IMO

Rob Chipman
10-11-2017, 07:05 PM
I think hunters in BC have to give their future a bit of serious thought. There are some hard realities to be recognized and some hard questions to be answered.

The world doesn't need hunters, but hunters need the world. Think that through. If a bunch of people voting in the right places don't like hunting, hunting will be banned. The world will survive. Hunting won't.

It doesn't have to happen all at once. Ban a "trophy" hunt for grizzlies. Then ban a meat hunt for them. Then ban black bear hunting. Do it in stages if you like. Get rid of hunting with hounds, then spring hunt, then get rid of the hunt, period. Then get rid of other predator hunts.

I know, there will be some on this forum who will yell that without hunters Nature won't function. You miss the point. If there are enough voters n urban and VanIsle ridings now who ignore science and support a non-scientific ban it doesn't matter if nature needs resident hunters. Those people don't care about science or what nature needs. They don't like hunting and they have more electoral capital than hunters do. That's just reality. We've seen it begin to unfold already, so by all means tell me I'm wrong, but then explain why we have a G-bear ban.

Some will scream that hunters fund conservation. That's true in the US, and it's true that just about all shooters in the US fund conservation through Pittman-Robertson. That's the US, not BC. As I understand it, most hunting revenue goes into general revenue, not wildlife management. I stand to be corrected, but I think that's the case.

Taking that a bit further, if hunters do fund wildlife conservation in BC, we're doing a piss poor job of it and we probably don't want to call too much attention to the fact. Again, I could be wrong, but my understanding is that funding for wildlife has flatlined for decades. Flatlined for decades is not something to be proud of.

Maybe one day? Will anyone ever do anything? How come someone else isn't doing this for us?

I hear and read that a lot. Here's another hard question: if not now, when? If not you, who?

Conservation doesn't need hunters, but hunters need conservation. What are we doing for conservation that we can draw direct lines to? There are some things. Don't get me wrong. I know lots of hunters and anglers who do real, concrete boots on the ground work. We don't do enough and we don't promote it enough. You want to argue that I'm wrong? Show me the groundswell of public support for hunting similar to what is enjoyed by people who want to ban hunting.

We have a great story to tell. Free range organic meat harvested in a healthy manner, highly regulated and sustainable. We control our food. We are connected with the real world.

That's great for us. Why should it matter to anyone else? You better come up with or find an answer to that. Why?

Because we need social license from non-hunters who vote and pay taxes but who are not yet anti-hunters.

Social license will give us funding and scientific management if we play our cards right.

How do we get social license? You can try not by creating a lobby group to pursue a narrow interest (protect our minority rights, dammit, or we'll hold our breathes until we turn blue!) or we can start doing the conservation work this province needs, draw a straight line between it and us, and make sure that people in media, politics and the corporate world know about it.

The Grizzly Foundation was founded by a corporate developer. A rep of theirs was on the radio today educating the public about grizzlies. Lush, a big and profitable company, funded an anti-frizz hunt poll. Insights West, a very high profile polling company, promoted the poll.

Dio hunters want to beat those guys? We need to clear our heads and get in the fight. And we need to fight it wisely. Demanding our rights isn't wise. Demonstrating our value is wise.

Social license, funding and science.

Anyone with a desire to talk to MLAs, do social media work, educate, relate success stories of conservation work done by hunters and anglers, do investigation into other organizations to find out how they succeed and find out how they work, expose conservation shit shows or areas that need attention, any of that - contact me through here or through rob@robchipman.net

</rant> I'm going moose hunting. If you want to be part of an attempted solution you know where to find me :-)

HarryToolips
10-11-2017, 09:27 PM
^^^^great post Rob, will send a pm.....

Bugle M In
10-12-2017, 03:22 AM
RC,

Well said, agree with everything you've stated.
Society doesn't need hunters....that's the reality.
The other thing you mention is even more important...
We do not do a good job at all "promoting" what we do.
As one member stated, most of us have "real jobs" in the real world, so it makes promoting hunting difficult.
Meanwhile, the Anti's, spend all day promoting their agenda.
They do it as "their real job".
Thru funding I suppose, from many world wide organizations.
Being in the media, under a "positive spotlight" is something we, as hunters, and I will include "our organizations",
have done a piss poor job at.
Can't blame us completely, as the media has their own set agenda, and for the most part, for the Anti's cause (IMO).
Example, look at that last game check on Global.
Made it sound like it was there in Boston Bar, and was a "complete surprise to hunters", as if we were all poachers and that it was set up last year in Cache Creek (even though we all expect it to be in Boston Bar from experience)
And that we were "happy", because, most of us were "successful" (the reason for our smiles).
The "real truth" for those smiles was mostly because, as ethical hunters, we want to see the CO's out there, to make sure the rules are followed.
Anyways, maybe I have a bad taste in my mouth over much of what I see of late in the media, and it's rarely ever
positive for hunters.....
My only thought is, based on your facts, that we need an organization that works directly in a "PR" arena, for us.
And that requires people with talent/skill, and they don't work for free.
I agree, all the money we spend, should go towards wildlife and habitat restoration...but....
right now, we need to find a way to direct money into what I just mentioned...positive PR.
My issue with BCWF, is not what they do, or to put down the time and energy that some of them put in.
They are doing what they can, with what they have, in the direction that the BCWF was set up for.
They are basically here to help "wildlife" here in BC.
And yes, they have no where near enough money to be of any great effect to help wildlife.
The Fresh water society has an easier time of it....I may be wrong, but I don't think they require the amount of money for
trout, restocking and restoration, as is needed for wildlife habitat for ungulates here in BC.
There are a lot of people still out there in the general public, who , when you talk to them, and tell them all the reasons for hunting, do accept it as ok.
They may never go out and pick it up for themselves, but at the same time, feel ok with people like me that do hunt.
But, then every time they turn on the news, they are exposed to a world of "Anti's".
It is becoming ever so easy to turn a person who "accepted" hunting, to become "non supportive" now.
The higher up's of the BCWF can hammer me all they want, put me down etc....but it doesn't change what is really going
on now.
I am fairly adapted to "striking up conversation" with anybody, at any time.
When I talk to other hunters in the field, I don't encounter too many BCWF members anymore.
And, after talking for a while, they all seem to be of the same opinion as I.
There is just nothing going on that truly puts hunters in a positive spotlight, and no organization that is having any effect.
It wasn't too long ago, the GOABC got what they wanted (atleast some of it).
They had a "seat at the table" (not sure if any FN did), but I know BCWF didn't.
And now the recent ATV ban or ATV/vehicle licensed hunter ban, that just came out (even though there was some "science-related reports" stating that the fires did in fact, NOT, open up large shooting/sighting corridors), again, was made at the
table, this time probably with the FN having a seat....but....doesn't sound like there was a "seat" for Resident Hunters...
Now, is that a seat the BCWF should of had????? if so, then why didn't they??
And if not.....then who do we find to "get us that seat at the table"???

Yes, we need some better PR...but that requires talent and money, and is definitely needed....(like, right now).
And the other issue is....we need a "representative" at the table in Victoria (or wherever those discussion/decisions are made)
So, if BCWF is "our" representative, then why are they being shut out???
And, if BCWF is "not" our representative....well then...we are in some "deep s***" now!
Basically, we as hunters require a "2 prong attack" right now.....somehow??
Right now my concern isn't about wildlife (which, usually it is).....
It's about keeping resident hunters of the "endangered species list".
Hunting regs used to be 1 page long.
Then it became a small book, which, many times you didn't pick up, because there was not much to be concerned about.
Then the book got larger, and got to the point where you didn't dare not to pick one up and read it from end to end.
But now...shit....that book isn't worth dick...because now you have to go to the "website DAILY" to see what changes
have happened "Over Night".
Anyways...ya... I need to get out hunting here real soon as well, as all this BS of late is doing me no good.
Honestly, I am getting to the point where I just want to delete the link to this hunting forum or any other hunting forum
on my pc, just to get away from the chaos as of late (and yes, I have been a part of that....my own fault).
I stopped watching Global news, and have switched from CTV to now CBC....but again....
I think I am heading to "just shut that crap off altogether", and just stream "pirated movies"....lol.
But then I say to myself....what good is it to just turn my back to all of this....to just shut it off and pretend nothing is
happening.???
Hunting in BC is really at the cusp of heading to a real downturn spiral....
I know some will say.."it's not that bad"...
But, in my opinion, it's coming real soon.....it's already started (GBear ,and licensed hunter bans).

mpotzold
10-15-2017, 11:00 AM
Latest
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/hunters-upset-moose-hunt-closure-cariboo-1.4352036

Finally signed the petition as requested by BCWF.

Don’t understand why the new restrictions, closures don’t apply to FN. This is a serious conservation issue & should apply to all hunters whether licensed or not!

Bugle M In
10-15-2017, 12:47 PM
Latest
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/hunters-upset-moose-hunt-closure-cariboo-1.4352036

Finally signed the petition as requested by BCWF.

Don’t understand why the new restrictions, closures don’t apply to FN. This is a serious conservation issue & should apply to all hunters whether licensed or not!

where's the link??? for the "petition part"???
found a petition on BCWF site that I signed, but nothing in regards to "fn still being allowed to use atv/vehicles while residents can not"??
is there a petition for this exact issue??
if so, can someone direct me please.

Also, good job Jesse on what you said to the media...well done.

mpotzold
10-15-2017, 01:13 PM
The petition I signed was from last month.
http://bcwf.net/index.php/2017-political-election-questions/sign-the-petition

Bugle M In
10-15-2017, 02:38 PM
oh, okay, I did do that one when it came out.
was hoping there was a petition about not using quads/ vehicles, while one user group does not have to abide by.
I know, I am asking too much on that issue.....but hey, I won't stay silent on that one....
I may have to accept it is that way now....but, ya got to start protesting at some point if it is ever going to change.
Equality is all I am asking for....nothing more.
hope everyone understands my point of view....

HarryToolips
10-15-2017, 03:17 PM
^^^^im sure most of us here agree on that one..

Opinionated Ol Phart
10-15-2017, 07:51 PM
Username checks out... And that is the best you can do ?????

303savage
11-22-2017, 10:56 AM
First Nation can always use the race card, Anything done to control their actions is racist.