PDA

View Full Version : Disheartened

Gunpoint
10-07-2017, 10:21 AM
Can't seem to find the game. Hunting areas with good sign, I've tried calling, gassing, still hunting. After three years and a few worn out boots I can't seem to even find something let alone shoot it and fill the freezer. It's seems like every truck coming home has antlers mounted to the atv. I start to feel like the quad hunters are pushing game back further than I can hike. Unfortunately spending thousands on a quad is not an option for me. It seems like hunting is becoming more suited for the boys with all the toys.

monasheemountainman
10-07-2017, 10:27 AM
sorry but boo hoo man! its hunting!! where are you hunting? where do you live? if you are finding good sign, stick with it! you will be successful eventually, just remember its not about killing animals. enjoy the scenery, fresh air and freedom. get a buddy who knows some things and learn off him/her.

Weatherby Fan
10-07-2017, 10:29 AM
nothing further from the truth, what and where are you hunting ?,

I do ride my quad but hardly hunt from it, only bought to save on thrashing my truck, I drive it to where I used to drive my truck to and hunt from there.

If your seeing good fresh sign than your timing may be off or they are totally nocturnal in that area which I have seen in busy areas, keep at it and really watch your WIND, find that and lack of patience is what ales most new hunters.

Whonnock Boy
10-07-2017, 10:30 AM
It's a growing trend, and known problem. The tides are going to swing pretty soon with more closures, and deactivation's, which will be welcomed in my opinion. That said, we all have our dry spells, and it's just a matter of time before the flood gates open for you. Keep at it!

sako79
10-07-2017, 10:33 AM
I used to go with the bunch of people to Princeton and have a good time and have Thanksgiving dinner all in the bush with all the fixings I went for 13 years without even seeing a buck lots and lots of does moose and Elk but no buck. The last 4 years I've gotten a buck within the first hour of hunting the same area. Keep at it eventually you will get a buck

PKernohan
10-07-2017, 10:37 AM
Can't seem to find the game. Hunting areas with good sign, I've tried calling, gassing, still hunting. I would say less gas, more glass. And if you are seeing good (fresh) sign then just slow down!!

S.W.A.T.
10-07-2017, 10:43 AM
Slow down is the key can often take days to get a moose to move a few hundred yards

sawmill
10-07-2017, 10:58 AM
I never use my Rhino to hunt, pain in the ass to load it and haul it around in the trailer.
I have good sucsess hunting thick bush for whites, most guys drive right by looking for a cut block. I sneak in and watch for a while, amazing how many critters are hiding 100 yards off the road. I never call , rattle or make any noise and they are right surprised when I shoot them. No fancy camo either, jeans and a quiet wool jacket. And an old fashioned 30.06 with a Bushnell 3x9. No range finders or spotting scopes , just me, my trusty rifle and 2 eyeballs.

todbartell
10-07-2017, 11:02 AM
It's easy to stay at home.

604Stalker
10-07-2017, 11:03 AM
Took me 3 years to get a buck posted a story on here when its ment to come together it will. Slow down, play the wind, and don't hunt where you dont see sign. It sounds stupid to keep hearing it but thats what works for alot of people out there.

ducktoller
10-07-2017, 11:13 AM
What species are you hunting?

What strategy? spot and stalk, still hunting, ambush?

What sign are you seeing.

If still hunting are you REALLY slowing down?

I've done a lot of wandering and seen shit all, the most promise I've had has been continuously working one very unloved BT spot I've found. Seen tons of does and buck sign but just matter of time (something I don't have right now sadly).

My goal is to keep developing that spot, the fawns I've seen come from some lucky buck.

The more I've developed that spot the more sign I see, and more does consistently, as well as a few bucks when I can't get them. I know this spot when I get more time there will be mine, and will produce.

Are you on the coast? Blacktail are notoriously hard and sensitive to the ample local pressure. If you are seeing quads maybe go elsewhere to get away from that pressure. I recall a thread from a few years back where one guy was successful just still hunting random mountains/hills away from the sea-to-sky that weren't near any logging roads.

Maybe pick one species and focus on that?

Try to enjoy the process, what drew me to wanting to develop blacktail as a target was not just hunting them but loving old growth forests and getting up high on the wet coastal mountains. Unlike going somewhere like 3-12 or 3-17 for mules/wt and coming home upset, I enjoy my time either way.

ducktoller
10-07-2017, 11:15 AM
My only buck was short with someone else.

Maybe post feelers here or on FB to see if someone will take you/let you tag along. I am self-taught so little things you may be doing that blow your cover you may not notice, that's a big thing that comes with me when I've gone with someone else.

markathome
10-07-2017, 11:18 AM
What are you calling good sign? In my book good sign is eyeballs on deer. Does, buttons, spikes, two pointers, three pointers, four pointers. If you're really struggling - go and find the ladies and wait until the rut. The boys will show.

Good sign isn't shit in the woods and a few tracks. When I head to a new area and if I don't see a deer in a day - I leave the area and start again somewhere else.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule (Blacktails) but that's a whole other thread. If you're coming up empty and targeting blacktails - drop that idea and set your sites on whitetail and mule deer - if you do that you'll increase your odds by 1000%.

Walking Buffalo
10-07-2017, 11:20 AM
Stop wearing out the boots.

Number one error for many hunters is covering too much ground.

rattling_junkie
10-07-2017, 01:09 PM
Slow down is the key can often take days to get a moose to move a few hundred yards

Really? I would find different moose to hunt then. From my experience they move too much. Here today, gone tomorrow.

Cyrus
10-07-2017, 01:13 PM
Really? I would find different moose to hunt then. From my experience they move too much. Here today, gone tomorrow.

This^ especially in rut. To the op....know the feeling.

howa1500
10-07-2017, 02:02 PM
Beginning of October is notoriously hard for deer, gotta get closer to the rut.

I go through spurts, either my freezer is overflowing, or it's empty and I'm buying half a cow...

I've gone to Williams Lake and seen 20 dead bucks from road kill on the highway, and not seen 1 in the bush...

Salty
10-07-2017, 07:10 PM
Can't seem to find the game. Hunting areas with good sign, I've tried calling, gassing, still hunting. .

You've figured out step one, knowing that they've been in the area recently. Now you need to figure out step two, figuring out how to find them before they see or hear you. Probably sounds overly simplistic but sorry, it is what it is. and as you're finding step two can be a royal bitch to overcome and can take some time.

Try not to let it get you down just keep at it and keep it enjoyable. Don't put a bunch of pressure on yourself be positive and enjoy the day. You've already figured out step one that's a success right there. Keep looking for that sign when you find real fresh tracks and hopefully poo concentrate on the area. Don't go walking all through it spooking anything off, find a vantage point and wait and watch.

russm
10-07-2017, 07:19 PM
I got my first buck on the second day of my first hunt, after that I didn't get anything other than grouse for the next 5 seasons or so, started figuring out a new area and saw more and more every year, last year I saw more bucks in one day than every other season combined (lots of does), at the end of the day after pounding my back on the quad and hiking all day I got my first mule deer buck 2 km from the truck just off the road, it gets frustrating but you never know when your luck will change.

S.W.A.T.
10-07-2017, 07:30 PM

Not in the rut they can stay put for a long period of time food allowing.

No reason to leave a safe place

Ramshot
10-07-2017, 07:49 PM
It's easy to stay at home.

Yes, stay at home and drink beer and watch wildtv😉

Cyrus
10-07-2017, 08:04 PM
Yes, stay at home and drink beer and watch wildtv😉

And watch how hunting really isn't...unless it's on private land...as in any deer hunt or in Jim shockeys moose area...$$$.

Wild one
10-07-2017, 08:24 PM
You don't need a quad don't need to hike stupid far just stop hunting in crowded places

Lots of pockets that go unhunted just stop thinking like the masses

thick
10-07-2017, 09:07 PM
If you've worn out a few pairs of boots in 3 seasons it's time to sloowwwww down or buy better quality boots. Next time you go out, wear more clothes than normal to the point you are HOT. Then make a conscious effort not to sweat. It forces you to slow down. You'll be amazed at the critters that start popping up outta nowhere. Once you start getting into good sign, Pump the brakes! Go 10 yards, glass, glass, wait, glass and then go 10 more yards. Patience is king....

The Hermit
10-07-2017, 09:17 PM
Get a killing machine. AKA treestand

Jagermeister
10-07-2017, 09:39 PM
Stop wearing out the boots.

Number one error for many hunters is covering too much ground.
Heed the above.
If you are seeing fresh sign in a particular area, your best bet would be to erect a blind, man-made or natural and then sit quietly and see what goes by. You will be surprised. Try not to fall asleep because that is when the critters will take advantage of you and saunter by.

ryanb
10-07-2017, 10:06 PM
The wolves are eating all the game, the grizzlies we can't hunt anymore are eating all the game, the natives are shooting all the game, the quad hunters are shooting all the game, etc etc etc. How many times have you read this on this site? Usually from people who can't put game on the ground. Stop making excuses and get out there and hunt til you get it done.

Mosin
10-07-2017, 10:33 PM
I never use my Rhino to hunt, pain in the ass to load it and haul it around in the trailer.
I have good sucsess hunting thick bush for whites, most guys drive right by looking for a cut block. I sneak in and watch for a while, amazing how many critters are hiding 100 yards off the road. I never call , rattle or make any noise and they are right surprised when I shoot them. No fancy camo either, jeans and a quiet wool jacket. And an old fashioned 30.06 with a Bushnell 3x9. No range finders or spotting scopes , just me, my trusty rifle and 2 eyeballs.

I like it!!!!

twoSevenO
10-07-2017, 10:46 PM
The wolves are eating all the game, the grizzlies we can't hunt anymore are eating all the game, the natives are shooting all the game, the quad hunters are shooting all the game, etc etc etc. How many times have you read this on this site? Usually from people who can't put game on the ground. Stop making excuses and get out there and hunt til you get it done.

Excuses are easy to come up with. There are a lot of people who do the same thing over and over and over with the same results and never change things to improve their success.

Step 1 ... does your area have game you want to hunt? Have you seen them or others carrying game out? Have your trail cams seen game?

Step 2 .... if youre seeing others carry game out ask questions or don't hunt there

Step 3 ... get trail cams. I just got into the trail cam game this year and wish I'd done it years ago. It does so much scouting for you it's ridiculous

Boner
10-08-2017, 07:06 AM
Can't seem to find the game. Hunting areas with good sign, I've tried calling, gassing, still hunting. After three years and a few worn out boots I can't seem to even find something let alone shoot it and fill the freezer. It's seems like every truck coming home has antlers mounted to the atv. I start to feel like the quad hunters are pushing game back further than I can hike. Unfortunately spending thousands on a quad is not an option for me. It seems like hunting is becoming more suited for the boys with all the toys.

I use mine for game retrieval. Never to hunt or look for game with. I know quite a few of my friends do the same.

Maybe you should give it up and try some other hobby that the boys with all the toys aren't in to. I heard Pokemon Go is fun.

horshur
10-08-2017, 08:52 AM
How many days of the year are you in the field? Success will come when you are spending the time year round and filling what you have seen away whether in your memory or in a notebook. If you do not have the experience not much is left but to depend on luck...there is a good chance you already know a fair bit if you give it a thought like possibly where not to hunt. Just by statistics the 40 hunter days per deer is probably bang on..spend 40 field days your success will be inevitable.

DarekG
10-08-2017, 09:09 AM
Went out every single weekend in September and came out completely empty handed, same with my dad, I was beginning to think with the strange weather and fires that this year would be a pretty shit season.

Now come October, a bit of wind and rain, I got a buck last weekend and my dad got one this morning with me.
If there's anything I learned about being successful with hunting (though I'm still a novice for sure), is that you just have to keep going.

Then again, it all depends how picky you are. I'm hunting for meat.

Drewtini
10-08-2017, 09:23 AM
I'm onto year 3 going deerless and had similar frustrations at the end of last year. I spent more time on the range to build better confidence, checked more summer spots to see what was happening, and now I also carry my .22 for grouse. They're tasty and dead easy to butcher.

Use glass, eyes, and ears more than your feet, try counting to ten between footsteps - every step is a new window on the world, and a new window for the world to see you.

And don't let the hecklers get at ya, it seems that some hunters want to protect some super exclusive club that they think the world hates, while doing their best to alienate the new people who would bring another voice to the team.

#HUNTINGincapsoneverythread

The Hermit
10-08-2017, 09:46 AM
I'm onto year 3 going deerless and had similar frustrations at the end of last year. I spent more time on the range to build better confidence, checked more summer spots to see what was happening, and now I also carry my .22 for grouse. They're tasty and dead easy to butcher.

Use glass, eyes, and ears more than your feet, try counting to ten between footsteps - every step is a new window on the world, and a new window for the world to see you.

And don't let the hecklers get at ya, it seems that some hunters want to protect some super exclusive club that they think the world hates, while doing their best to alienate the new people who would bring another voice to the team.

#HUNTINGincapsoneverythread

Good post, that is what I was about to say only you said it much nicer than I would have. Ha

I have a friend that has been hunting elk for twenty+ years with his bow without killing a bull. He is one of the best hunters I know. Moral of the story is: the more you hunt the more you learn, and killing takes about a second or two out of the entire experience.

twoSevenO
10-08-2017, 12:15 PM
From someone who went a few seasons deer less and learned from his mistakes..... there ain't no point in hunting an area that has no deer!

If you're not seeing deer and your trail cams aren't picking up deer you gotta move on! I don't care how nice the area looks or how easy it is to hike in. If there's no game you're not gonna get a deer in there.

If you ARE seeing deer then you might just be doing something wrong.

Ohwildwon
10-08-2017, 04:08 PM
Anyone wearing out boots trying to hunt deer need a set of these!

ACME Deer Hunting Trainers. They weigh in @ 10lbs... :-P

In other words, best make like a tree!..

http://i.imgur.com/FJlBh3O.jpg (https://imgur.com/FJlBh3O)

Rupert Retired
10-08-2017, 05:44 PM
Don't get disheartened. I think all of us old-timers have went through the same early years experience. Hang in there, keep frequenting the spots you have seen all the sign, learn about your quarry (ie best day times, rutting times, feeding habits etc). The big archilles heel in all of our prey is, they gotta eat! (well, and they gotta breed as well of course, a bigger archilles heel if the season stays open through the rut). So, this is a big enough tip to get you a look at something, for sure. Oh, and make sure you can hit something when it does show up! I used to joke with my wife, after a full season of hunting and seeing nothing, that all I needed was two bullets, the first one would either kill the animal or I would miss, in which case the second one was for me!!

Quince
10-08-2017, 05:58 PM
Used my quad once so far this year.... got nothing.
punched moose tag and wt tag walking....

KBC
10-08-2017, 10:01 PM
I'm in a similar spot. This is my third year and still no success bigger than a grouse. I'm not sure how much longer my wife will keep letting me out without rubbing it in...hahaha

Stay positive and learn every time you get out.

This morning I was out in a new spot (they are all new so far) and found what I thought would be a likely travel corridor and slowly snuck in. 20 minutes later 2 does were 15 yards from me. Sure they weren't legal for me to shoot but at least I'm starting to get close to them.

Keep at it.

BRrooster
10-09-2017, 08:44 AM
Walk little , look lots. Build a ground blind . Movement is probably the biggest thing that gives hunters away. Sit for awhile and watch for movement, and you will be
amazed at what you will see. Of course scent is a biggy too. In your blind have something behind you that breaks up you image, like a bush or something, and like
I said keep movement to a minimum.
Have fun out there. Its great to watch game animals that don't even know you are there. Great way to learn more about them too.

Andy83
10-09-2017, 08:55 AM
I haven't shot a Mule deer since 2012, been 2 years since I got a whitetail. I shot one grouse last year and didn't fill my moose leh. I get out because I enjoy going out, shooting something is a bonus. Keep at it if you like doing it.

deer nut
10-09-2017, 09:27 AM
Better to forget the ATV, hunt harder, hunt deeper, get out earlier and stay out later, move slowly and don't give up!

Rattler
10-09-2017, 09:34 AM
Get away from roads and pressure and you will see more game. Move less and glass more. Find sign and try to pattern movements. If you can find major game trails where animals are moving from feeding to bedding suggest sitting on these with wind in your favour.
Hunting in snow: cover ground until you find sign. Try rattling to bring bucks to you. Keep at it, be patient and you will be successful.

Darksith
10-09-2017, 10:57 AM
What, where when why?

These are all important factors in success. What are you hunting, where are you hunting, when are you hunting and why aren't you being successful. Ask youself these questions and fix it. I have been on 6 elk hunts now, 4 in the EK and 2 in 7B. We have harvested 1 cow with an LEH. This year was my first hearing an elk bugle, my first communicating with a bull elk, and my first time looking up and seeing antlers sticking up over the bushes. Not my first successful bull hunt though as we setup wrong for the terrain, but we did learn a lot and had a ton of fun doing it.

Some of the things I have learned and am working on fixing are the "when"...going to hunt in the rut from now on, I keep saying that every year but for whatever reason it doesn't seem to happen, the "where" well I avoid 7B because it is such a gong show, but maybe I shouldn't on my next elk hunt, I do love the EK and have a pretty good area. We saw over 30 elk, several bulls that either were 5x5 or we couldn't get a count on and Im not really interested in harvesting a rag horn bull, so probably off to the EK again next elk adventure, but the "when" will change and the "where" will also change slightly as I believe I understand "where" to find the vocal elk in my area now as well.

Elk are fricken smart, and you can get lucky or you can get skilled. I feel like my 40+ days of elk hunting are teaching me a lot, and sure it sucks coming home with nothing but thats hunting. Ive spent a lot of time learning and eventually it will pay off to where I start coming home successful on more hunts than not.

Thats just my story about struggles, deer are easy, moose are easy if you can hunt in the right places at the right times. My struggles aren't the same as someoene elses, but we all have them. Keep it up, enjoy the hunt, never give up and have no regrets

HarryToolips
10-09-2017, 01:07 PM
I haven't shot a Mule deer since 2012, been 2 years since I got a whitetail. I shot one grouse last year and didn't fill my moose leh. I get out because I enjoy going out, shooting something is a bonus. Keep at it if you like doing it.
This is the additude right here, keep at it OP....the last several posts take note..