PDA

View Full Version : Cariboo Moose Closures

Goose
10-06-2017, 09:07 PM
Just going to leave this here:

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/hunting

Hunting closures will help protect moose in the CaribooTwo areas of the Cariboo Region severely impacted by wildfires this summer will be closed to moose hunting for the October 15-31 and November 1-15 seasons.
Zones A and C of management unit 5-13 in the Cariboo contain high quality moose habitat that was severely affected by the Chilcotin Plateau Fire. In addition, the area is important to First Nations for sustenance hunting.
Closure of these zones applies to all licensed hunting, including resident and guided hunters. The moose hunting closure announced today is for an area immediately north of Highway 20 and west of Williams Lake and Quesnel. The closure was recommended by ministry biologists. It comes on the heels of a ban on motor vehicles for the purpose of licensed hunting within the Chilcotin Plateau and Hanceville-Riske Creek area last week.
These measures are first steps to mitigate wildlife vulnerability to hunters as a result of increased access and sight lines following the burning of major tracts of forest this past summer.
The areas impacted by today’s hunting ban will be assessed over the winter to determine what levels of sustainable hunting opportunity will be available in the coming years.
For Zones A, B and C of Management Unit 5-13 please click here to see Map (http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/hunting/limited-entry-hunting/zone-maps/region-5/moose_5-13_a_b_c.pdf).
Quote from Doug Donaldson, Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development:
“This has been an unprecedented wildfire season, with parts the Cariboo particularly hard hit. With moose populations already declining in this management zone, we need to take steps now to protect wildlife and ensure healthy moose populations in the future.”

rocksteady
10-07-2017, 07:18 AM
Oh boy.. that sucks

rocksteady
10-07-2017, 11:28 AM
So, reading between the lines, not trying to stir the pot it says "licensed hunters"...

FN do not need a licence, and this is a honey hole for their sustenance moose so are they still going to be harvesting???

two-feet
10-07-2017, 12:12 PM
Yes they will. Dont worry, mostly cows.

rocksteady
10-07-2017, 12:31 PM
Yes they will. Dont worry, mostly cows.

No worry? But mainly cows?

How is that gonna sustain the population?

If I read fisher-dude and goat guys posts correctly harvesting males does not decrease the population if ungulates but harvesting of females does..

I got a concern about that

Goose
10-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Two-feet was being sarcastic (correct me if im wrong TF), yes, these areas are exclusive to only indian hunters. and they have no restrictions on what they are allowed to shoot (or that is what i take from reading this and the regs). please correct me if im wrong here guys. cheers

tinhorse
10-07-2017, 02:23 PM
You have to be able to read sarcasm also.........

No worry? But mainly cows?

How is that gonna sustain the population?

If I read fisher-dude and goat guys posts correctly harvesting males does not decrease the population if ungulates but harvesting of females does..

I got a concern about that

rocksteady
10-07-2017, 03:49 PM
You have to be able to read sarcasm also.........

Sorry... my bad for not reading between the lines.

Keta1969
10-07-2017, 04:24 PM
No matter how you read it, it's bad news. Will be hard to get it open again. Was there any rational reason for the closure ie. Very high harvest rate in the early draw or the govt just caving in to 1st nations?

krispykritters
10-10-2017, 04:51 AM
yes i also had a draw for 513A. FN hunting is a problem as they kill everything that moves...

northernguy
10-10-2017, 06:40 AM
The maps are unreadable! They look like a psycho was turned loose with box of felt markers and given a heavy hit of acid! How hard is it to produce readable, effective maps:roll:

gcreek
10-10-2017, 07:25 AM
The maps are unreadable! They look like a psycho was turned loose with box of felt markers and given a heavy hit of acid! How hard is it to produce readable, effective maps:roll:

The producers do work for Government...........

northernguy
10-10-2017, 08:33 AM
The producers do work for Government...........

Not sure if I would use the term "work for"
Maybe "employed by" is more accurate?
The term "work" implies that something gets done :lol:!

rocksteady
10-11-2017, 12:31 PM
Not sure if I would use the term "work for"
Maybe "employed by" is more accurate?
The term "work" implies that something gets done :lol:!

I take exception to this stupid comment... there are plenty of good people within government busting their butts to do the right thing..

I get so sick and tired of union (lazy useless pos) vs private sector (hard working salt of the earth) yada yada yada...

It's not the organization that s screwed as a whole, it is certain individuals regardless of association and affilitaion that cause the bad rep.
Stop the "profiling"... you sound like Trump saying all Mexicans are murderers and rapists...

Move on..

303savage
10-11-2017, 12:48 PM
The maps are unreadable! They look like a psycho was turned loose with box of felt markers and given a heavy hit of acid!

Definatly the poorest map I've seen.

cyalatte
10-11-2017, 01:00 PM
This decision is so political and not based on science. This is a sample of the discussion in the war room:

"Ok, we're got the FN pressing us to close down the moose hunt in the Cariboo. Let's see...we have allocation of tags given to FN and Resident LEH...hmmm...should we remove the tiny portion of the overall allocation given to resident LEH or remove the 60% allocation of tags given to the FN. Ok, let's take away the tiny resident LEH and not address any FN allocation. They told us we're not hunting any of these areas, we'll take their word on that so we don't have to get anybodies back up...and hey, let's also forget about the fact of non-reported FN harvesting which has been confirmed by the chief himself. This looks like the easiest course of action."

Really...could it not be more political than this? Sickening. Government, listen to the science and the good people with the boots on the ground to make an informed and fair decision. Take a stand and hold everyone accountable.

Bugle M In
10-11-2017, 01:15 PM
This decision is so political and not based on science. This is a sample of the discussion in the war room:

"Ok, we're got the FN pressing us to close down the moose hunt in the Cariboo. Let's see...we have allocation of tags given to FN and Resident LEH...hmmm...should we remove the tiny portion of the overall allocation given to resident LEH or remove the 60% allocation of tags given to the FN. Ok, let's take away the tiny resident LEH and not address any FN allocation. They told us we're not hunting any of these areas, we'll take their word on that so we don't have to get anybodies back up...and hey, let's also forget about the fact of non-reported FN harvesting which has been confirmed by the chief himself. This looks like the easiest course of action."

Really...could it not be more political than this? Sickening. Government, listen to the science and the good people with the boots on the ground to make an informed and fair decision. Take a stand and hold everyone accountable.

Should probably be telling the BCWF to not waste any time, money or resources to "growing the moose populations"
up there....
Help the moose come back to only help the FN hunt them in the end.
Then the chief comes back and says "see, limiting licensed hunter helped"!
Instead, don't add assistance to that region, let the moose dwindle to nothing, and then we have "our science" to show
who is at fault.
Pretty negative comment I know...but....it's about the only thing left to do.
Take the money, and efforts, and apply elsewhere, where resident hunters can still hunt......for now.

REMINGTON JIM
10-11-2017, 01:21 PM
what FN's want FN's GET ! :icon_frow Better get used to it only as its only gonna get worse ! jmo RJ

StuBrown
10-11-2017, 01:54 PM
This is just moose only correct? My 13 year old daughters have mule draws in 5-13. We were hoping to make a trip down there in November to see if we could get their first big game animal.

Bugle M In
10-11-2017, 02:17 PM
what FN's want FN's GET ! :icon_frow Better get used to it only as its only gonna get worse ! jmo RJ

Nope....
Is it only going to get worse....yup.
But I am not going to get used to it....
I accept that just about every time I come on here, there is "more news" and "more needs" by one user group in this
province.
But, I won't get used to it....if I do, it means "I accept it".....which I don't.
Expecting it and Accepting it are different.
And if I accept it....it will never change.
By the time my daughter is my age, by "accepting it/getting used to it", I "expect" she will be an "Anti Hunter",
on a "crusade" to abolish "all hunting", even by FN, as she will have lost her right to hunt by then.
Many have forgotten just how good it was.
Lots here only know about "LEH Hunts", they never new what it was like.
All these rules put in place, to help wildlife come back...yet never happened.
Now, you can't go here with that, cause you ain't the same skin color.
Or, you showed up to late.
For some, they are surprised to have learned that one could hunt Elk around Lytton at one time.
Well....until a few individuals from one user group blasted the hell out of them, and had it shut down.
What did they get...a ban from the band, but that's it.....
No jail time....instead, you would see a few of them around Cache Creek blasting anything that moved.
Hard to get used to that...or accept that....IMO

northernguy
10-11-2017, 02:24 PM
I take exception to this stupid comment... there are plenty of good people within government busting their butts to do the right thing..

I get so sick and tired of union (lazy useless pos) vs private sector (hard working salt of the earth) yada yada yada...

It's not the organization that s screwed as a whole, it is certain individuals regardless of association and affilitaion that cause the bad rep.
Stop the "profiling"... you sound like Trump saying all Mexicans are murderers and rapists...

Move on..

Relax. I work for the Federal Govt. It's a common joke in my office when our work load gets really heavy.

rocksteady
10-11-2017, 02:43 PM
Relax. I work for the Federal Govt. It's a common joke in my office when our work load gets really heavy.

So if anyone should know better than to post thus crap, it should be you..

If it was meant as a joke... it ain't funny to anyone who takes pride in their work/job.. it was an insult

northernguy
10-11-2017, 02:48 PM
So if anyone should know better than to post thus crap, it should be you..

I won't rise to your bait...