PDA

View Full Version : 7-11 any bull moose LEH

Travisimo
10-04-2017, 01:28 PM
Hey HBC, I'm a new hunter, struggling with some decision making, so I'm looking for a bit of insight. I'm a newish hunter, been getting into it for about 5 years now, so far have taken a blacktail and a mule deer. Went moose hunting unsuccessfully last November, but I really know very little about moose hunting.

I got a shared any bull draw for 7-11 sep 10 - Nov 5. We were planning to take a couple weeks to hunt, but family issues have taken up a my holiday time, two of the group got a Bison draw and are doing that instead. Life happens, what can you do. I'm headed back to school in Nanaimo for 2nd year electrical October 16.

However, I do have 4 days free October 20-23. I could leave right after school on the 19th, get on the 3:20 ferry, and start driving (Google tells me it's 10 hours or so) drive through the night or sleep in the back of the truck somewhere. Hunt Friday /Saturday /Sunday and return Monday.

Should I do it? It's a huge amount of effort for 3 days of hunting, and I haven't been to the area. The logical part of me says don't bother, stay home and hunt deer, the other part of me says screw it, it's an adventure, it might be awhile before I get another draw.

Any insight into the area, or advice for a beginner is much appreciated.

I have a couple friends without draws who might be able to join me, I don't think I would do this alone.

10-04-2017, 01:37 PM
Screw it, its an adventure!
I have no new info on the area, I di hunt 7-11 for a number of years 15-20 years ago...... im just posting to motivate you to go is all!
I drove from Victoria to PG with a buddy to look at a boat,, which he didn't buy and drove home all in one long go......

pnbrock
10-04-2017, 01:49 PM
Giver don't be held back.

Leaseman
10-04-2017, 02:46 PM
Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

tyyota
10-04-2017, 03:57 PM
As long as you can find some like minded comrades to take along, I'd say 3 days hunting beats 0 days hunting!

todbartell
10-04-2017, 04:25 PM
do it, adventure awaits. A lot of guys do well in the GOS any bull season in region6 during Oct20-26. Bulls will be recovering from the rut, focusing on groceries. Try finding small pockets of browse in overlooked back corners of cut blocks. Some cow calling can still be effective too

quadrakid
10-04-2017, 05:39 PM
Your young,road trip and chance at a moose,no brainer.

monasheemountainman
10-04-2017, 05:44 PM
Yup no question do it! You never know when you'll get another moose draw

Asco
10-04-2017, 05:49 PM
I'm a bit of a maniac like that... driving all night, sleeping in the truck and hunting hard for 2 days. That being said, if I had 4-5 days I would consider it. And I got a bull there last year. And I know the area.
its a real tough one to find a moose in. Lots of pressure from hunters. I hate to be the party pooper, but I'd put your real odds ( I'm assuming you're not an amazing moose caller, being a new hunter; no offence) at less than 5%. Really not trying to offend, but if you're going to go, get skilled experienced help who knows the area.

If if you do go, good luck, it can just happen!

monasheemountainman
10-04-2017, 05:55 PM
Boooo you suck^^^ watch a YouTube video on calling and you will have it down in one night.

Travisimo
10-04-2017, 06:08 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement. If I do go, I'll have to make sure I bring back some pictures so everyone can experience it vicariously.

As long as you can find some like minded comrades to take along, I'd say 3 days hunting beats 0 days hunting!

I'm definitely going hunting. Question is whether I'm going deer hunting near home, or trying for a moose. If I get lucky and get a deer between now and then, I'll be much more inclined to go for the Hail Mary to Moose Country

Asco
10-04-2017, 06:53 PM
Whatever. I take it all back. Just go hunt. That's what I'd do, who cares about the odds.
I just spent 5 days deer hunting in a place with no deer. Go have fun.

S.W.A.T.
10-04-2017, 07:03 PM
Good area. Not much for access but might not be much traffic either

two-feet
10-04-2017, 08:07 PM
The moose start moving to lower elevation come the snows in late oct early nov, it can concentrate the moose into different areas. It can be a good time to find them.

Sitkaspruce
10-04-2017, 08:27 PM
Can't kill a moose at home and your freezer does not fill up magically!!

if you don't go, you will regret it. Your trip is just not about hunting: it is about exploring, learning and enjoying the outdoors. Each time you go, you learn a little more, and just not about hunting, the area or moose, but also about yourself.

Go and have fun, you might not get a draw for a few years....or maybe never if this dam Gov gets it's way!!!

Good luck and do post up your experience!!

Cheers

SS

RackStar
10-04-2017, 08:28 PM
I've gone a far ways to a brand new area I've never been before, saw a bull on day 2, bull down day 3.

Go get your moose..

Leaseman
10-05-2017, 07:25 AM
19 of the 20+ moose I have shoot have been from 7-11.....wish I had that draw! Would take two days (probably) to fill it, maybe three.....:cool:

Travisimo
10-14-2017, 05:09 PM
Alright, follow up question I guess. I imagine (from what I've been reading elsewhere on the forum) that the rut will be winding down by October 20, so calling will not be as effective. What would be a good strategy? Should I sit down in a good looking area and call, hoping for an energetic bull, or would it be smarter to hike around and try to find them?

monasheemountainman
10-14-2017, 05:20 PM
Id cover ground look for sign, and wouldnt rule out calling.

10-14-2017, 06:24 PM
Smaller bulls will respond from mid September to the end of october... depending.... yes calling would still be viable on the 20

todbartell
10-14-2017, 09:36 PM
I'd cover ground and look for fresh sign and be in those area during first light. Bulls likely to be in little pockets of browse that are tucked away from pressure from the roads and trails

ROY-alty33
10-15-2017, 06:08 AM
Do it or me and the 1200 other people that missed out will be very upset!!!

MVhunter
07-17-2019, 09:39 PM
New to hunting and regulations. If you get moose LEH bull only can you shoot any bull, or I have to refer to BC regs? Thanks..

Boner
07-17-2019, 10:03 PM
New to hunting and regulations. If you get moose LEH bull only can you shoot any bull, or I have to refer to BC regs? Thanks..

Any bull moose for the management unit that the LEH is for.

MVhunter
07-17-2019, 11:03 PM
Thanks Boner !

S.W.A.T.
07-18-2019, 09:02 AM
Just found out a friend from our group got this draw as well. Let the scouting begin

Liveforthehunt
07-18-2019, 09:42 AM
I'm a bit of a maniac like that... driving all night, sleeping in the truck and hunting hard for 2 days. That being said, if I had 4-5 days I would consider it. And I got a bull there last year. And I know the area.
its a real tough one to find a moose in. Lots of pressure from hunters. I hate to be the party pooper, but I'd put your real odds ( I'm assuming you're not an amazing moose caller, being a new hunter; no offence) at less than 5%. Really not trying to offend, but if you're going to go, get skilled experienced help who knows the area.

If if you do go, good luck, it can just happen!

Hmm that's pretty negative sir ... what do you think you are some" super guide" ? Maybe the kid can call better than you . Go up there kid and prove this guy wrong ! I have called many of bull moose in and shot 11 at my ripe young age of 31 a moose will come to a chainsaw at the peak they get into a transient state and are not the smartest of animals.. pm me and I will do everything I can to help,!

tyreguy
07-18-2019, 11:07 AM
2017 Thread brought back to life

Ron.C
07-18-2019, 11:32 AM
Go go go. Ive known more than a few people who made short trips due to various reasons and were successful.