PDA

View Full Version : Solo Hunting

KimberKid
10-02-2017, 08:48 PM
What's it like? Haven't hunted solo but curious as to what the community thinks of it. I am potentially going on a Sheep/Goat hunt solo next year, and I am wondering if I should even attempt this if I am alone. What are some problems that you face solo that you don't have when your with a partner? Whats it like overall? Would anyone recommend it or is with a partner/group the only way to do it?

KK

nazarow
10-02-2017, 08:55 PM
It's all in your head. Humans are social animals and being alone you have to be in the right mindset. After the first few trips alone it gets a lot easier. Others will probably say do a couple trips overnight on your own to give yourself and idea of what it takes and how you feel. Can't beat being out in the wilderness one way or another and being alone, you're only limited to your own capabilities.

Throwaway
10-02-2017, 09:04 PM
Wouldn't recommend goat/sheep as your first solo hunt... maybe your second.

Amphibious
10-02-2017, 09:06 PM
Virtually all my hunting is solo, Goats, Bear, Deer.... It's all about internal motivation and risk mitigation. Much different experience to go it alone.

emerson
10-02-2017, 09:08 PM
The margin of error is a lot thinner when you are by yourself.

HarryToolips
10-02-2017, 09:14 PM
Wouldn't recommend goat/sheep as your first solo hunt... maybe your second.
I agree....I do lots of my hunting solo, but it's usually for deer/black bear/moose in November..even elk in September I'm always wary with the calling in bears....if your going to do it solo for sheep or goat, I'd make sure your bushcraft skills are good, such as orienteering with a compass etc, and have you ever packed dead weight on your back?? Try a deer first if you haven't...

brian
10-02-2017, 09:20 PM
Why not do some solo day hunts and couple overnighters closer to home? You can work out your gear issues and figure out whether devoting serious time out there alone is something you want to do.

scoutlt1
10-02-2017, 09:22 PM
Over 30 years ago I hunted with someone. Hiked alone, but didn't hunt alone.
I have always enjoyed going solo since, and have hunted for over 20 years that way unless one of my sons was with me.

Going it alone requires a ton of preparation, but, in my opinion is simply the best.

skibum
10-03-2017, 08:59 AM
I would not, not do a hunt because no one wanted partner up for it - do it solo.

Took me a couple trips to get a feel for the bush at night by myself, at first a field mouse sounded like something crashing through the bush. I would do a couple solo overnighters as test runs to make sure you are comfortable with your gear

But after a couple days by myself hiking in the bush, I do find myself calling around to see if anybody even wants to do a road hunt.

ForestWalker10
10-03-2017, 09:02 AM
I only hunt solo. No hunting friends help that but honestly, i dont want any. Being alone is the best.

Ourea
10-03-2017, 09:59 AM
The comfort from hunting with a partner is good for most.
For serious/experienced guys, like ForestWalker10 said, being alone is best.
You are way more in tune with your environment, no distractions, 100% focused.

In addition to being way more focused you quickly learn you are 100% accountable.
With that understanding your gear becomes dialed......as do you.

Linksman313
10-03-2017, 10:18 AM
Virtually all my hunting is solo, Goats, Bear, Deer.... It's all about internal motivation and risk mitigation. Much different experience to go it alone.
Hunted this way my entire life, although things are different now with all the mouths to feed, the risk mitigation is higher, but with multiple freezers empty, so is the internal motivation or some may call it desperation lols. Start small and work your way up.

BCHunterFSJ
10-03-2017, 10:20 AM
Do it! My first solo sheep hunt was a real eye opener. I learned lots about mountain hunting, but mostly about myself...

However I had done some solo hunts for moose, deer and bear previously.
Probably a good idea to get some experience before tackling the mountains. When I first did it around 1990 (my God, that's like 27 years ago...) there were
no SPOTS etc. Today I would definitely carry one!

SaintSix
10-03-2017, 10:50 AM
I just got back from a Solo hunt in the mountains where I harvested a Caribou. There are pros and cons to solo hunts such as, solo you have to carry more weight, not only gear that you and a partner could share like tent or stove or spotter but also when it comes time to drag out a kill. if you get in trouble there's no one there to help, lots of people including myself like to think I can bandage up any wounds and carry on, but reality being if I fall unconscious I'm f**ked. so I do try to take less risks when alone and I carry a Inreach. but on the positive side you always get to be the shooter :) no coin toss to see who gets to go first. You get to decide where your going and at your own pace. Theres no worrying about someone else because they were under prepared and didn't bring the right gear.

Some say you should practice your fire skills or shelter skills and map & compass if you want to go solo. I think anyone going out in the woods should be practicing these basic skills regardless how many people you go out with. If your partner is the only one who knows how to read a map and something happens to him your kinda screwed aren't you? which seems to be more common with people my age ( 30 ) and younger. If your not efficient in these skills, there are tons of youtube videos or even courses you can take. your life is worth it. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions

Squamch
10-03-2017, 10:59 AM
I like hunting solo because it's 100% my program. Wanna go look over there? Do it!
Wanna slack off and eat a hot lunch? Have at er.
Wanna wake up an extra hour early? What you need to do is wake up, an hour early.

However...I like sharing those moments with someone too. There is no bond like that with a good hunting partner, and it sure is nice to have someone to talk to on day 3. Plus, help packing out, and even packing in, is nice too.

Chrispryn
10-03-2017, 04:43 PM
Solo is the way to go.

As awesome as it is to share the experience with a good mate there is something special about doing it solo. No one to blame but yourself.

Good luck.

walks with deer
10-03-2017, 05:07 PM
Well solo means less liabilitys..lots of guys can be a liability..i go with my dad Nd my son and some freinds..but 90percent of my hunting these days is solo.
Hence most my pictures are of the animal and nobody in it..or a picture of the animal with me at home at the truck or in the truck..

Ron.C
10-03-2017, 05:52 PM
I've done a handful of solo elk trips, two solo backpack goat hunts and a solo Griz Hunt(brought my dog with me on the griz hunt).

I really enjoy being in an isolated area and hunting by myself but like others have said, the companionship is also good at times, especially when you are having a hard go of it. And last year I had a surprise encounter with a Griz while crossing a creek in an avalanche slide while packing out from my goat spot. Wasn't a fun time to be alone

Weatherby Fan
10-03-2017, 05:57 PM
I hunt a lot by myself, I enjoy the peacefulness of it, but yeh as others have said maybe go on a Cpl short weekend trips or overnighters to get your gear sorted out and your needs food wise for a day

two-feet
10-03-2017, 06:09 PM
I like to go hunting with a partner, but this means share camp and go our own ways for the day. Then you get to be self reliant, and slurp booze with a buddy at days end.

two-feet
10-03-2017, 06:11 PM
I like to go hunting with a partner, but this means share camp and go our own ways for the day. Then you get to be self reliant, and slurp booze with a buddy at days end.

I usually hunt moose, and foot access only. So a partner can be handy.

ducktoller
10-03-2017, 08:08 PM
Mostly hunt solo mainly because I started hunting as an adult, very few friends that hunt, let alone time's we can go at the same time.

I mostly prefer it in the day, but on grueling hikes a partner can push you. Daytime is all fine and dandy but nights can be pretty boring.
I wouldn't have much fun being alone in a tent in bad weather for a full day/night in the mountains either.

IslandWanderer
10-03-2017, 08:22 PM
I hunted solo for years in Alberta. Maybe it was just me, but walking around in the bush alone felt strange. I enjoyed it, but sometimes worried about injuring myself and getting stuck somewhere. Decades ago, someone I really respect told me that it’s important to have memories that are truly just your own. Hunting solo will provide you with that.

Ourea
10-03-2017, 08:26 PM
Mostly hunt solo mainly because I started hunting as an adult, very few friends that hunt, let alone time's we can go at the same time.

I mostly prefer it in the day, but on grueling hikes a partner can push you. Daytime is all fine and dandy but nights can be pretty boring.
I wouldn't have much fun being alone in a tent in bad weather for a full day/night in the mountains either.

Personally, I dont mind when the shit rolls in, got a great ultralight camp setup.
A little pack chair under a tarp set just right.....tent beside.....fire....sleet coming down....cup of hot Glava.
Heaven if you ask me.

I enjoy the solitude when camped back for MD solo.
It's just you and your thoughts.
We don't get enough of that these days.

finaddict
10-03-2017, 09:28 PM
I find as I get older I am hunting alone more often. I really enjoy the hunts with my son and we usually split up for morning and afternoon hunts and come back to camp for lunch and dinner. But as he gets older and his commitments expand to fill his life, he has less time for the old man ( so it should be). I really like the days out in the wilderness by myself, but find the campfire are a location for social activity and a campfire alone is ......well......lonely.

shortrange
10-03-2017, 10:21 PM
I like hunting with my buddies, especially if it is a long drive to the hunting ground, but I prefer to go solo. I work with people all day and it is nice to just get away and be alone with my thoughts. When I hunt alone I am also free from distractions and really in the moment. I need some alone time. It's good for the soul.

Asco
10-03-2017, 10:29 PM
I've become a way better hunter going alone. More aware and more responsible when you don't have another guy there. Seems like my brain works better