PDA

View Full Version : Charged by a Grizz

Rhyno
10-01-2017, 04:54 PM
A few mornings ago a friend and I were working in on a bull,we were getting close as he continued to reply to our bugles.We felt we were in a good position and about to get a look.My buddy taps me and says a cow is coming in from the opposite side of us.I look up to see 2 grizzlies at 35yards.I say “bear”, to which my bud doesn’t even flinch figuring it’s a black bear just moseying up the hill.Realizing he doesn’t understand the gravity of the situation I say “grizzly, grizzly, grizzly!”That got his attention!
I instinctively put the gun to my shoulder, safety off just in case.The cub looked like it was going to head up hill and my buddy said don’t shoot.I wasn’t going to but was uneasy with the situation.In the blink on an eye the sow locked in on us and charged.At 11 yards she was still charging hard and showed no indication that this was a bluff.She passed what I considered to be too close and pulled the trigger and half a second later my buddy did the same and dropped her.
We radioed another guy with us to head to cell range to call the CO and let us know what they wanted us to do.We flagged the brass and documented the scene with our phones.The CO interviewed us and assured us we did 100% the right thing and said we were lucky not to be hurt.
Yesterday another EK hunter was mauled by a sow, sounds like a very similar situation to my own.
Be careful out there, these things happen so fast you wouldn't believe it.

PKernohan
10-01-2017, 05:03 PM
Jeeeezzusss. Glad to hear your ok, way to keep your wits about you.

AgSilver
10-01-2017, 05:15 PM
Intense - glad you're safe and glad the COs treated it well. I've often wondered that.

Caribou_lou
10-01-2017, 05:19 PM
These days seems like hunters need to be on their toes. All the time. I was out with the bow this morning and it never leaves my mind that I may call in a bear.

Everett
10-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Was wondering if you would post the story. This is why I use TSX bullets.

btridge
10-01-2017, 05:38 PM
Glad to hear you both walked away!

Ohwildwon
10-01-2017, 05:41 PM
Wow! Great to here it all worked out!

What about the cub?

beeugle
10-01-2017, 05:44 PM
happening more and more in the kootenays...

rocksteady
10-01-2017, 05:53 PM
Not a rare occurrence in the EK since they nixed the fall g bear hunt

rocksteady
10-01-2017, 05:56 PM
I heard Jake got mauled by a g bear near Fernie Friday. Lucky to be alive

Rhyno
10-01-2017, 06:02 PM

For sure, I saw some pictures of his leg. We figured 3 more bounds of that sow and we were in the same boat.

Dash
10-01-2017, 06:03 PM
Holy crap.. that's insane. Glad you guys are ok!

REMINGTON JIM
10-01-2017, 06:13 PM
Jesus thats TOO close ! :shock: Glad you pulled the trigger and are both safe and here to talk about it ! ;) too many bears out there in my opinion and gonna get worst too ! jmo RJ

rocksteady
10-01-2017, 06:21 PM
For sure, I saw some pictures of his leg. We figured 3 more bounds of that sow and we were in the same boat.

My worst nightmare... I will go down shooting

Deer_Slayer
10-01-2017, 06:43 PM
Glad you're both ok. Unfortunately this will become more common with the NDP in gov't. Of course they will blame the hunter, or say the bears were just being bears. Me thinks our hunting days are coming to an end in this country. Liberal snowflakes are forcing their agenda around the world and hunting is high on their list of No No's. I would not put it past them, that they were out lighting forest fires so they can blame global warming, and of course...put an end to hunting, which has now begun.

Hammerhead
10-01-2017, 06:47 PM
Too close of a call for sure and glad to hear you both came out unscathed. Was the bear closer to your buddy or you when you spotted it? Scary shit
HH

Rattler
10-01-2017, 07:11 PM
Glad to hear you weren't mauled. 10 yards is really close. Did both of you hit that bear? Good shooting under that pressure.
Not uncommon in EK as I have had a similar situation bow hunting, but was lucky she ran the other way. Have to have your head on a swivel when calling for elk and moose!

HarryToolips
10-01-2017, 07:25 PM
Jesus thats TOO close ! :shock: Glad you pulled the trigger and are both safe and here to talk about it ! ;) too many bears out there in my opinion and gonna get worst too ! jmo RJ
Exactly what I was going to say...number one thing is you and your bud are ok....and great shooting under a pressure situation....did you free hand aim, or through the scope? I would imagine at that distance you would have free aimed?

Rhyno
10-01-2017, 07:31 PM
Too close of a call for sure and glad to hear you both came out unscathed. Was the bear closer to your buddy or you when you spotted it? Scary shit
HH

We were both then exact same distance, he was just a step or 2 down hill. I was on the same trail it was and assume I was target number 1.

monasheemountainman
10-01-2017, 07:32 PM
Exactly what I was going to say...number one thing is you and your bud are ok....and great shooting under a pressure situation....did you free hand aim, or through the scope? I would imagine at that distance you would have free aimed?

They pointed, shot, then realized they shit themselves! Hey Ryno that about right? Glad you guys are ok holy f"$k that would get the blood moving

Rhyno
10-01-2017, 07:33 PM
Glad to hear you weren't mauled. 10 yards is really close. Did both of you hit that bear?

I am 100% sure we both hit it but it dropped at my buddies shot. I didn't want to move it...wanted to leave the scene untouched for the CO.

gcreek
10-01-2017, 07:35 PM
A few mornings ago a friend and I were working in on a bull,we were getting close as he continued to reply to our bugles.We felt we were in a good position and about to get a look.My buddy taps me and says a cow is coming in from the opposite side of us.I look up to see 2 grizzlies at 35yards.I say “bear”, to which my bud doesn’t even flinch figuring it’s a black bear just moseying up the hill.Realizing he doesn’t understand the gravity of the situation I say “grizzly, grizzly, grizzly!”That got his attention!
I instinctively put the gun to my shoulder, safety off just in case.The cub looked like it was going to head up hill and my buddy said don’t shoot.I wasn’t going to but was uneasy with the situation.In the blink on an eye the sow locked in on us and charged.At 11 yards she was still charging hard and showed no indication that this was a bluff.She passed what I considered to be too close and pulled the trigger and half a second later my buddy did the same and dropped her.
We radioed another guy with us to head to cell range to call the CO and let us know what they wanted us to do.We flagged the brass and documented the scene with our phones.The CO interviewed us and assured us we did 100% the right thing and said we were lucky not to be hurt.
Yesterday another EK hunter was mauled by a sow, sounds like a very similar situation to my own.

Well done. If more did like you these events wouldn't be happening so often.

Rhyno
10-01-2017, 07:36 PM

They pointed, shot, then realized they shit themselves! Hey Ryno that about right? Glad you guys are ok holy f"$k that would get the blood moving

We we both were looking through our scopes, but it was pretty instinctive....there was zero time to think.

Rhyno
10-01-2017, 07:39 PM
Glad to hear you weren't mauled. 10 yards is really close. Did both of you hit that bear? Good shooting under that pressure.
Not uncommon in EK as I have had a similar situation bow hunting, but was lucky she ran the other way. Have to have your head on a swivel when calling for elk and moose!

You left out the fact you have also been mauled before!

scoutlt1
10-01-2017, 07:40 PM
Good job on you guys keeping your heads up and sh*t together!!

Glad everyone made it out ok!

mpotzold
10-01-2017, 08:02 PM

Guns save the day again! Yes -You guys did the right thing & congrats on your accuracy & control when confronted by an animal that wanted to kill you.
Yes the charge is very fast. Was charged from 40 yards or so by a grizz & one has about 3 to 4 seconds to load aim & fire.

monasheemountainman
10-01-2017, 08:09 PM
I remember that story!! Crazy stuff be safe out there all

Bugle M In
10-01-2017, 08:26 PM
Well done. If more did like you these events wouldn't be happening so often.

100% with you!!!.....i'm not waiting to see if turns into a bluff charge any longer!

Timbow
10-01-2017, 08:29 PM
Wow, what an event to experience. Glad to hear it went well. Great idea on flagging the location on the brass to help reenact the ordeal.

Pinewood
10-01-2017, 08:32 PM
Glad to hear you guys are safe and sound. I'll be hunting out that way next week. Better keep on my toes.

ghost_trees
10-01-2017, 08:56 PM
What caliber rifles were you two packing? Excuse my ignorance as I've never been elk hunting but are the grizzlies attracted to your elk calling, or is it just bad luck. Seems like the majority of grizzly attacks involve elk hunting.

Just trying to put my mind at easy when I head into 4-37 for goats...

Weatherby Fan
10-01-2017, 09:16 PM
“A few years back my nephew and brother had a boar charge them, my nephew 16 at the time shot the bear in the head which was in a full charge and dropped it at 9 yards, we walked the bears tracks back and it was bedded in a depression in the ground 20 yards away, he was watching the trail where the elk would walk up a timbered Ridge to their bedding area, I’m assuming as soon as the bear seen movement he charged.
My nephew was lucky to catch the bear charging out of the corner of his eye and shot it from his hip !”

Way to keep it together and drop the bear, and even better your both ok.

markomoose
10-01-2017, 09:17 PM
Holy Hell Man.Enjoy your posts especially when your still here.Keep it going!Your partner is your bestest friend!! Cheers Mark

Rattler
10-01-2017, 09:23 PM

Yes, I was referring to calling in Gbears while calling for elk. Being mauled was scary and we were extremely lucky to survive without any major injuries. It has taken years to get comfortable tent camping. Again glad you and your partner are okay

HarryToolips
10-01-2017, 09:46 PM
We we both were looking through our scopes, but it was pretty instinctive....there was zero time to think.
Wow......I was charged by a black bear once, and had to aim free hand and nailed him, that's impressive staying with your target so close with a scope..

10-01-2017, 10:30 PM
Great to hear you and Buddy are OK Rhyno , holy crap them are some scary times that can happen real FAST. Brings back things I'd rather forget.

Rhyno
10-02-2017, 06:21 AM
What caliber rifles were you two packing? Excuse my ignorance as I've never been elk hunting but are the grizzlies attracted to your elk calling, or is it just bad luck. Seems like the majority of grizzly attacks involve elk hunting.

Just trying to put my mind at easy when I head into 4-37 for goats...

7 mag and 30/06, and yes it is believed the elk were responding the our calls.

Brew
10-02-2017, 07:47 AM
Glad you guys are ok and no one got hurt. When I got my wilderness carry permit to carry a hand gun for work I was told 25metres was your safe zone. If a threatening animal comes into that zone you have every right to shoot. Obviously it needs to show signs of aggression.

cptnoblivious
10-02-2017, 08:40 AM
Well done. It's these situations that are making me happy to go hunting with a buddy.

Xenomorph
10-02-2017, 08:51 AM
Glad to hear you guys are safe. Well done.

BStrachan
10-02-2017, 11:08 AM
Glad to hear you are okay. Must have been a scary situation for sure!

James52
10-02-2017, 11:42 AM
Glad you guys are ok.

Goose
10-02-2017, 12:17 PM
Jeez, way to keep your head on a swivel and your wits about you!

J_T
10-02-2017, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the honesty in sharing the story. And also the respectful way in which you dealt with the situation and shared it.

IronNoggin
10-02-2017, 12:28 PM
Spooky! Brings back a few disconcerting memories here as well.

Good on you both for keeping level heads under extreme pressure, and doing what had to be done! http://bigshotsbc.ca/images/smilies/Pozitive.gif
Damn Happy to read that neither of you were injured!!
And pleased to hear of the CO's stance in the matter as well.

Cheers Gentlemen! I will toast to your health this very eve.
Nog

Stone Sheep Steve
10-02-2017, 02:11 PM
Crazy!!

Glad you are both safe and thanks for sharing your experience and the way you handled the situation.

SSS

MOOSE MILK
10-02-2017, 03:45 PM
We are going to see more and more incidents like this in the future. With less and less hunting of griz their population will increase and they will loose the fear of man it has taken thousands of years to establish. We are already seeing more grizzly/human conflicts than we have in the past 100 years.

Bugle M In
10-02-2017, 04:13 PM
I have had 2 grizz encounters while elk calling, but both times, I don't feel I was being stalked, but rather out of
curiosity.
I did have 1 cougar who was stalking me, and got close...real close, within 8 yards or so (thought it was a white tail)
He froze, but stood there for a minute or 2, sizing up the situation.
Had he made any crouch or slight forward, I was going to fire.
Honestly, had it been a Grizzly at that distance, I ain't waiting.....period.
What scares me is what the OP said, both him and his partner fired, but the bear only dropped with his partners shot.
Not sure if the OP would have been able to have fired a 2nd shot??? (if alone).
I sit alone (partner sits away from me), and I know I shoot good, but, that doesn't guarantee I would drop a bear
at charge....that is always the concern in the back of my mind.
Once again, GBears need to be "re-educated", and we need an Fall LEH (I think a gbear hunt here or there during fall hunting can be handled and sustained).
Glad to hear you both are alright, but it will definitely change how you hunt in the future for sure, you'll never lose that from being in the back of your mind when out there....I know my experiences have left me "looking over my shoulder"
a lot more, my ears are now at "full alert"....and those "naps by the tree are over" when hunting elk.
These incidents as others have said are happening more and are probably going to get worse.
I also suspect we will see more "shot the Grizz in self defense" also on this forum in the future.
I also think my "safety zone" is going to be increased now, after reading a few of these stories that are always popping up.
Glad you boys are okay, and thanks for telling the rest of us.....we should be aware of these things.

mpotzold
10-02-2017, 05:38 PM

Jake Blackmore of Cranbrook hunter attacked by grizz sow.
https://www.thefreepress.ca/news/cranbrook-man-fights-off-grizzly-attack/

Spy
10-02-2017, 05:52 PM
Wow glad you guys are here to write about it....

123.brewski
10-02-2017, 06:12 PM
Glad to hear you were quick to react to the situation, and got through it safe and sound. My father had a huge boar griz get spooked by something earlier this season, and run by him at 10 meters! He said he had his gun on it the whole time, but could tell it wasn't focussed on him. I don't think I could have waited to be sure. Moving that fast, it wouldn't take long for it to be on you , should it notice your there. Sounds like the lucky ones get time for a shot, the unlucky ones don't, and I don't like the sound of that outcome

J_T
10-02-2017, 06:13 PM
https://www.thefreepress.ca/news/cranbrook-man-fights-off-grizzly-attack/ Old news for locals.

Wentrot
10-02-2017, 06:21 PM
Old news for locals.

Okay.......?

Rhyno
10-02-2017, 06:28 PM

Old news for locals.

Okay.......?

He can start his own thread:)

J_T
10-02-2017, 07:14 PM
He can start his own thread:) Precisely my point.

Salty
10-02-2017, 07:55 PM
Glad you're still with us Rhyno you guys sure handled that right. Crazy..

northof49
10-02-2017, 11:41 PM
Good it worked out well for you guys...and good shooting. Have had G's come in on me 3 times calling elk. Gotta be careful.

Chopper
10-03-2017, 12:40 AM
I have a feeling you guys were lucky you had two shooters ...

troutseeker
10-03-2017, 04:49 AM
Congrats on dropping that bear before she could get to you! Good shooting.

mpotzold
10-04-2017, 11:06 AM

Latest

The sow will be allowed to hibernate since, get this: she was defending her berries, this is her first aggressive act this year meaning she’s not a threat to people!:shock: I guess it’s three strikes –she’s out applies here.
http://www.timescolonist.com/news/b-c/conservation-officers-say-b-c-grizzly-not-a-threat-despite-tussle-with-hunter-1.23055346

Too bad the bullet did not connect.:-(Probably had a scope on his rifle.

J_T
10-05-2017, 03:28 AM
Hey Ryan. In light of the new policies that are developing for Grizzly bear, did you have any discussion with the CO about what would now happen with that bear? Did you stick around and assist the CO with an extraction?

LBM
10-05-2017, 05:19 AM
Hey Ryan. In light of the new policies that are developing for Grizzly bear, did you have any discussion with the CO about what would now happen with that bear? Did you stick around and assist the CO with an extraction?

Also curious as to what happened with the cub or discussion about it.

wideopenthrottle
10-05-2017, 07:22 AM
very glad you are ok......I missed where this happened...was it on the bull river?

10-05-2017, 07:54 AM
holy shit Ryan, im glad your ok and I am glad the CO though it was a good shoot.
I think about that every time I call moose.... I guess you know you can act fast and correct under extreme pressure now hey?

DeepJeep
10-05-2017, 08:37 AM
holy smokess... I would shit my pants.
Glad you made out ok and are here to talk about it. wow!

Rhyno
10-05-2017, 12:35 PM

Jim
There was no recovery mission. The CO decided that the cub would be back with the sow, based on the fact it was acting so aggressive he said he would have to shoot if it came at us.
Why was there no recovery? The CO’s are under funded and stretched thin, he was the only one on and had 5 other things to do, including looking for an injured boar grizz that was hit by a train and still alive.

He put a great deal of time debating his options and asked many questions about the cub’s size, age and behaviour. It was not a rehab candidate,so the options were to kill it or hope it learned enough from mom to give it a chance.This was a senior CO and I fully supported his thought process and decision.

In all likelihood another bear was on the carcass in short order.

If there is any debate to be had on this subject please do so in another thread.

Thanks,

Ryan

Rhyno
10-05-2017, 12:36 PM
very glad you are ok......I missed where this happened...was it on the bull river?

In the spot I hunt elk, would you prefer UTM or Lat Long?:wink:

J_T
10-05-2017, 12:52 PM
Jim
There was no recovery mission. The CO decided that the cub would be back with the sow, based on the fact it was acting so aggressive he said he would have to shoot if it came at us.
Why was there no recovery? The CO’s are under funded and stretched thin, he was the only one on and had 5 other things to do, including looking for an injured boar grizz that was hit by a train and still alive.

He put a great deal of time debating his options and asked many questions about the cub’s size, age and behaviour. It was not a rehab candidate,so the options were to kill it or hope it learned enough from mom to give it a chance.This was a senior CO and I fully supported his thought process and decision.

In all likelihood another bear was on the carcass in short order.

If there is any debate to be had on this subject please do so in another thread.

Thanks,

Ryan Thanks. You've answered my question.

wideopenthrottle
10-05-2017, 12:52 PM
In the spot I hunt elk, would you prefer UTM or Lat Long?:wink:
I thought bull river might be general enough so as to not give away your elk spot...I have hunted there lots and had numerous problems with gbears there..one took a deer from our camp (meat pole was a little too far away) and we set up a trail camera at the new meat pole right next to camp ....we videoed it skulking around our meat pole every night after that...all the videos start with the bear coming onto camera then the dog barking, then one of us yelling at the dog to quiet down then my buddy firing off the camp shotgun and the bear running off camera....I was hoping to hear that the camp raiding ******* might be dead....

Bugle M In
10-05-2017, 01:16 PM
I thought bull river might be general enough so as to not give away your elk spot...I have hunted there lots and had numerous problems with gbears there..one took a deer from our camp (meat pole was a little too far away) and we set up a trail camera at the new meat pole right next to camp ....we videoed it skulking around our meat pole every night after that...all the videos start with the bear coming onto camera then the dog barking, then one of us yelling at the dog to quiet down then my buddy firing off the camp shotgun and the bear running off camera....I was hoping to hear that the camp raiding ******* might be dead....

That's the main reason to have a "Fall" LEH Grizz Tags....IMO.
But then again, there isn't going to be a season in the near future at all.
Imagine the "s*** show" then.
Those bears definitely are going to need some "re-educating"....(you can fill in the rest)

srupp
10-05-2017, 03:19 PM
Hmmm great reactions..well done..glad your not physically harmed..the underwear can be replaced.
Cheers
Steven

Rhyno
10-05-2017, 04:36 PM

Sorry, I was just being cheeky....yes the Bull is most certainly a general area, but this did not occur there.

gutpile
10-06-2017, 01:42 AM
did you take any pictures of the bear ? how close was the bear when you took your shot ?
would the Co let you keep the bear ? how was your underware after that ? did you need to through them
away ? :D

bigben
10-06-2017, 09:10 AM
First off all glad your okay just want to put my thoughts into this we as hunters are out there doing the thing we love and that is pursuing elk we are armed with new calls and scent that we use to pursue these animals we are going into the bush we are fully aware that these grizzly bears exist out there and they are doing what a bear does they are forging for food to get ready for the winter especially a sow with cubs so Yes indeed they are part of the ecosystem and they are definitely real I seen 9 grizzlies in a basin 20 years ago i hunted them in the regions in the kootenays and one spring I seen 22 different bears in that management unit that i was hunting twenty minutes away from my home ii lived in the kootenays all my life I also experienced the terror of being charged by three grizzlies a sow and two cubs and managed to escape with my underwear intact so if your coming here to hunt anywhere the elk valley the south country bull river white swan be fully aware that they are out there my one good advise to everyone is buy a can of bear spray and know how to use it it could save your life and what ever the situation presents in this case two hunters were lucky enough to escape harm and be careful out there BOUNO FORTUNA

wideopenthrottle
10-06-2017, 09:45 AM
one question that just occurred to me is, did you (being the first shooter) actually get another bullet tubed before it was down...I cant imagine getting a spray bomb deployed anywhere near as quick as firing the gun you have at the ready...

j270wsm
10-06-2017, 07:45 PM
First off all glad your okay just want to put my thoughts into this we as hunters are out there doing the thing we love and that is pursuing elk we are armed with new calls and scent that we use to pursue these animals we are going into the bush we are fully aware that these grizzly bears exist out there and they are doing what a bear does they are forging for food to get ready for the winter especially a sow with cubs so Yes indeed they are part of the ecosystem and they are definitely real I seen 9 grizzlies in a basin 20 years ago i hunted them in the regions in the kootenays and one spring I seen 22 different bears in that management unit that i was hunting twenty minutes away from my home ii lived in the kootenays all my life I also experienced the terror of being charged by three grizzlies a sow and two cubs and managed to escape with my underwear intact so if your coming here to hunt anywhere the elk valley the south country bull river white swan be fully aware that they are out there my one good advise to everyone is buy a can of bear spray and know how to use it it could save your life and what ever the situation presents in this case two hunters were lucky enough to escape harm and be careful out there BOUNO FORTUNA

Lots of good points. Punctuation would make easier to read though.....just saying

mpotzold
10-06-2017, 09:25 PM

I beg to differ! My one good advice to hunters:biggrin:- forget about the bear spray-practice, practice & become proficient at using your gun at close range in case of a do or die bear scenario.

IMO Bear spray while hunting =false sense of security. Don’t rely on it if charged by a bear. Use your gun if bear crosses the comfort zone of say 15 to 20 yards while charging.
I have no doubt that the spray may ward off a curious bear that is slowly circling & approaching you or your camp. Wasp spray may also work.

Here’s only 3 of the many, many examples where bear spray proved to be totally useless.

1)Last year Montana hunter Todd Orr got severely mauled 2x while elk scouting despite using bear spray at the appropriate moment
I gave her a full charge of bear spray at about 25 feet. Her momentum carried her right through the orange mist and on me.
"I sprayed the shit out of her with bear spray,"
…..gave the charging bear a full charge of spray in the face…. she blew through the cloud of spray..

2)Deer hunters empty cans of bear spray into grizzly sow’s face which had no effect & had to rely on a bullet to the head to save themselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dry7aDm6ws

3)Julia Gerlach, a 27 year old forestry worker was attacked by a black bear in 2005 not that far away from the Liard Hot Springs 1997 bear attack incident.
Her co-worker’s gun saved the day.
She emptied a can of bear spray at the attacking bruin, but it didn't even slow the animal down.
"The can of bear spray emptied so quickly, even though it was a big can. I took the can and banged him on the nose, because I remembered that bears have very sensitive noses," she said with a chuckle.

And spray is supposed to stop a determined bear. GIVE ME A BREAK!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AdDLhPwpp4

climber250
10-06-2017, 09:35 PM

Puctuations? No? Too difficult?

It is difficult to read your message.