PDA

View Full Version : Non-hunter target shooting

ribber
09-28-2017, 01:15 PM
A few days ago, a non-hunter asked me if he needed a hunting license to carry a firearm into the bush, ie. forestry roads, to go to a gravel pit and do some target shooing there, during hunting season.and I couldn't give him answer, any thoughts, ? thanks,ribber

Gateholio
09-28-2017, 01:16 PM
No, but he should take steps to not be identified as hunting by a CO

Drillbit
09-28-2017, 01:40 PM
In the FAC days you needed either a hunting licence or permit.

They did away with the permits with the PAL system. All he needs is a PAL

VFX_man
09-28-2017, 01:41 PM
A few days ago, a non-hunter asked me if he needed a hunting license to carry a firearm into the bush, ie. forestry roads, to go to a gravel pit and do some target shooing there, during hunting season.and I couldn't give him answer, any thoughts, ? thanks,ribber

It would be worth mentioning to him that it might not be taken kindly to by any nearby hunters . . .

Had some Ahole-r-people doing something near me a couple of years ago while I was hunting. Go to the range out of courtesy please.

my 2 cents

ve7iuq
09-28-2017, 01:41 PM
No, but he should take steps to not be identified as hunting by a CO

I think it is easier now, than it was. Like they would have to prove that you were actually hunting, because it is legal to carry a NR rifle almost any place, including most two lane, paved secondary roads and in most cases the rifle can be loaded.

Ryo
09-28-2017, 01:45 PM
A good measure to take in that situation (aside from packing targets and leaving knives and game bags at home) is to keep your rifles in the trunk, trigger lock on - even though it is not a legal requirement. when you've got your target set up, fire away. Drive out of the bush with the rifle locked up again.

rimfire
09-28-2017, 01:50 PM
A good measure to take in that situation (aside from packing targets and leaving knives and game bags at home) is to keep your rifles in the trunk, trigger lock on - even though it is not a legal requirement. when you've got your target set up, fire away. Drive out of the bush with the rifle locked up again.

In addition to what Ryo said, do not use trees as a backstop. There have been some incidences of metal being found in marketable timber and causing injuries in the sawmills. I heard a rumor from someone at our gun club that CO's were ticketing anyone that shot into a tree during target practice but that is largely anecdotal.

Drillbit
09-28-2017, 02:44 PM
In addition to what Ryo said, do not use trees as a backstop. There have been some incidences of metal being found in marketable timber and causing injuries in the sawmills. I heard a rumor from someone at our gun club that CO's were ticketing anyone that shot into a tree during target practice but that is largely anecdotal.

I highly doubt that, but anything is possible.

The mills I know have metal detectors. As well lead is pretty soft.

I've cut through 1/2" steel rods on a table saw by accident (hidden in a laminated hardwood table top) with no problems, so I'm guessing a mill saw blade would cut through a bullet like butter if it made it through the metal detectors.

Rupert Retired
09-28-2017, 02:48 PM
All he needs is his PAL. That is a Federal Licence that we all need. To go hunting, we need a hunting licence. To go target shooting, all we need is a PAL.

wideopenthrottle
09-28-2017, 02:53 PM

I've cut through 1/2" steel rods on a table saw by accident (hidden in a laminated hardwood table top) with no problems, so I'm guessing a mill saw blade would cut through a bullet like butter if it made it through the metal detectors.

the nails used to affix them to the tree are more dangerous

rimfire
09-28-2017, 04:00 PM

Like I said, anecdotal. Back in the 80's a guy died in California from a likely tree spike in a log he was cutting. I've heard they make a mess of chainsaw blades too.

Asco
09-28-2017, 04:36 PM
Last October the 2nd in the bush in Moose country.... we were calling one in and...
some jackass starts blasting away at 8am. Horrifying. Tell your bud to be considerate.

boxhitch
09-28-2017, 05:27 PM
Scary how many gun owners don't know the rules of transport or storage or ownership

Blue_Heron
09-28-2017, 05:58 PM
It would be worth mentioning to him that it might not be taken kindly to by any nearby hunters . . .
Oh yeah, that's for sure.
Been driving once down an old spur road in Coquihala area (more scouting than hunting), closer to intersection with a main FSR heard a couple of shotgun shots. And what do ya think we saw when got to the intersection? A bunch of guys setting up for clay\target shooting, aiming towards the very branch road we were driving down! I think there was the whole family, an older gentleman, 2-3 young guys, a girl in her late teens or early twenties.
That was pretty unpleasant encounter.

Iron Glove
09-28-2017, 06:01 PM
I'm with the "it's legal but be prepared to convince the CO that you were not hunting" crowd.
Ditch the camo, your skinner, the game bag and anything that could point towards you hunting to help eliminate problems.
Also agree with the respecting hunters opinion, try to avoid them.
Around here there are a couple of "quarries" that are used as de facto ranges. One is reasonably away from areas frequented by hunters, the other is right in the middle of a popular hunting area - use the one that is not frequented.

rimfire
09-29-2017, 08:58 AM
Scary how many gun owners don't know the rules of transport or storage or ownership

It doesn't help that the laws are written so vaguely that they can be interpreted in the broadest sense of the words.

ribber
09-29-2017, 04:30 PM
Thanks Guys, I knew I could count on you, ribber