PDA

View Full Version : Leading Media Story: Famous Bear Shot By BC Hunter - Calgary

Kami
09-27-2017, 04:09 PM
I happen to be in Alberta this week. Just watched Global News Calgary, tonite.
More bad publicity for The hunting community. It was the leading story tonight.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3772535/famously-curious-bear-148-killed-by-hunter-in-b-c/

Although at first glance in the attached link, I don't see mention of a BC hunter shooting the bear, they did state so on the live TV news feed.

gunpower
09-27-2017, 04:49 PM
If it was taken legally , so what. There is a lot more grizzlies around that what most people think !!

Ohwildwon
09-27-2017, 06:28 PM
So now we know Y2Y is anti hunting

Brez
09-27-2017, 06:44 PM
So if it "was a good-natured bear that demanded respect and didn’t push boundaries and you could live beside and thrive around", why was it relocated to an area near a hunting season?

scoutlt1
09-27-2017, 07:23 PM
"A good-natured bear that demanded respect and didn't push boundaries". Really??? What exactly is a "good natured bear"???? Ridiculous.

Anthropomorphism of animals has it's benefits, but is the scourge of hunters...

one-shot-wonder
09-27-2017, 08:27 PM
On the positive side.... no more funds being wasted relocating a high-maintenance bear, in fact besides being a sow this is exactly the type of harvest society should be open to. Bears with no fear of humans have a death wish, one way or another. The fact that the COS or RCMP didn't have to destroy the bear and it was taken legally by a gratified hunter, is a success all around. Global can eat a d!ck

S.W.A.T.
09-27-2017, 08:28 PM
I hope it gets a full mount and evertime the guy walks buy he gives it a "high five"

Kami
09-27-2017, 09:35 PM
I see this as more sensationalism that hurts hunting and all gun owners in Canada. Why was it mentioned in the article about not knowing if the sow was pregnant or not? This is implying to the anti hunters that maybe the bear was! We have no proof but maybe it was pregnant! To me this is like saying the bear was shot legally by a hunter. It is unknown if the hunter has several grizzly bear rugs in his residence. It's leading the reader along.

shottyshooter
09-28-2017, 01:09 AM
I see this as more sensationalism that hurts hunting and all gun owners in Canada. Why was it mentioned in the article about not knowing if the sow was pregnant or not? This is implying to the anti hunters that maybe the bear was! We have no proof but maybe it was pregnant! To me this is like saying the bear was shot legally by a hunter. It is unknown if the hunter has several grizzly bear rugs in his residence. It's leading the reader along.

Yes - definitely leads people to an emotional response even if they weren't on that train of thought already. The implied hunters "killing mothers & babies" just in case the cute little (nuisance) bear wasn't directing the readers thoughts already.

gcreek
09-28-2017, 05:30 AM
Awwwwwwwww

boxhitch
09-28-2017, 05:38 AM
Would only be worse reporting if the pest had actually been named, like Leo

Anthropomorphism of animals has it's benefits............name one ?

Twobucks
09-28-2017, 06:03 AM
Problem is, it did have a name - Bear 148. Being a bear that spent a lot of time around the two busiest mountain towns in Alberta there are hundreds of thousands of people who feel like they know that bear. The reason she got so many chances was because she was a 6year old female and coming into breeding age.

I'm just surprised that an outfitter would allow a client to shoot a collared bear - it could only lead to big headaches. Hunters would do well to get out in front of this kind of story.

boxhitch
09-28-2017, 07:11 AM
Was 148 released with a collar?

Good report there on Global Calgary from Kim Titchener of Bear Safety
No slamming hunters, just the facts about 'we don't have a bear problem, we have a people problem".

mooze
09-28-2017, 08:49 AM
And the bear just wanted home to Banff, you know! Relocated to the Kakwa, shot in McBride, on the beeline to the safety of the national parks.....

LYKTOHUNT
09-28-2017, 12:32 PM
"A good-natured bear that demanded respect and didn't push boundaries". Really??? What exactly is a "good natured bear"???? Ridiculous.

Anthropomorphism of animals has it's benefits, but is the scourge of hunters...

You know, something like Whinny The POO

Ohwildwon
09-28-2017, 11:19 PM
Now on Global , BC...

https://globalnews.ca/news/3774860/hunter-that-killed-bear-148-in-b-c-knew-she-was-wearing-a-tracking-collar/

Total anti hunting piece here..

bearvalley
09-28-2017, 11:50 PM
Bear 148 is going to be pimped in both BC and Alberta by the same groups that are out to seal their agenda on grizzly hunting.
The sad reality is that 148's death certificate was made out when she was relocated.
Human habituated bears aren't a real good fit in the backcountry and it's probably a damn good thing she never got the chance to have cubs and put some persons life in jeprody due to a human/protective sow bear situation.

DarekG
09-29-2017, 08:59 AM
Wow, the article really says it all, but twists it so emotion overcomes logic.

Famously curious Bear 148 killed by hunter in B.C.

Oh look, a cuddly fuzzy wuzzy curious bear. Maybe we should go hug it?

Bear 148 was translocated to a location 500 kilometres north of Canmore in July after a week of daily human encounters.

A week of daily human encounters. This isn't concerning at all.

It was hoped the bear would settle in to the area, make a new home and have her cubs there.

You know whats better than a Grizzly bear that is not afraid of humans? A Grizzly sow with newborn cubs that is not afraid of humans. I mean, that's not a dangerous situation at all!

Bear 148 was captured multiple times before her translocation, and made a name for herself within the Bow Valley for her hundreds of encounters with humans.

Hundreds of human encounters. Neat.

former superintendent at Banff National Park Kevin Van Tighem joins Global Calgary to discuss why grizzly bear 148 seems to have no fear of humans.

There is a reason they kept relocating the bear, that reason is because it would only end badly for someone in the near future.