PDA

View Full Version : Coquitlam fowling

suburbboy
09-27-2017, 02:56 PM
As someone who lives in Coquitlam I've been doing a bit of research on hunting locally. Just something about being able to hunt at home (before they make it totally illegal). During hunting season, the area after the dyke is legal for shot only. I was wondering if getting past the dyke on foot was allowed (I've been to the area before a few times and have found a spot with foot access, just not sure about carrying a shotgun through). Also wondering if that area is a good idea in general, I've seen plenty of ducks there, know Minnekhada used to be a hunting lodge, and I know of some folks who used to hunt Goose Island. If anyone's got something to help a young newbie out that'd be awesome. If anyone else is familiar with the area and heading out when the season starts, that would be cool too.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6497&stc=1

Dano
09-30-2017, 12:14 PM
I'll offer this up for you, it's a sensitive area and you mention you see it can be made closed to shooting. About 7 years ago there was a movement by Coquitlam council to have this area closed down, Members of the BCWF and a few of us site members attended a "Town Hall" type meeting and were permitted to speak for our interests in the area.
Some very good speakers on our side with CRS, Thad, Fowl Language and Ed among the speakers from this site. That council was going to close the whole area down and because of the reasonable and factual presentations presented at the meeting the area remains open now. Some council members didn't even know about the arena where goose island was but they listened. The Mayor, Lou Sekora, and Linda Reimer being the most supporting of our group. Don't ever vote for Selena Robinson if you want any for of recreation allowed in the area other than biking and kayaking (and I'm in favor of these, just not exclusively). I believe the vote was close but water fowling was allowed to continue.
In the end the areas on the map remain open to discharge of shotguns with steel shot during waterfowl season. Shooting must be away from the dyke and not over the red areas. You must be more than 150 meters from any buildings.
Basically, shooting on the river foreshore and away from land (on the Coquitlam side of the Island you shouldn't be shooting directly towards the dyke on the Minnikada side, just up and down the river and over the island). Can you do this and retrieve your birds? Do you have a boat or dog to recover any ducks in the water? This area is a sensitive hunting area and there's lots of dyke walkers and members of the "Friends of Debouville Slough" (FDS) out and about. The FDS were vocal of the area being closed to hunting and I'm sure they would report any incident they see as breaking any of the criteria set out by council.
Anyone hunting this area should be very aware of how fortunate we are it remains open and do their best to ensure they follow all criteria set out by the bylaw and do whatever they can to keep it open.
I feel that hunters in all areas of the Pitt River should transport their guns in cases when walking on the dykes to the hunting spots so that if they encounter any non hunters the non hunters will be less uncomfortable. You don't have to do this but the public is much more receptive of hunters and in general will be more accepting of you being in the area. Shooting from the dykes in these areas is forbidden so casing the gun makes it easier to carry and ensures anyone won't be tempted to make a decision that could lead to the area being shut down.
You also need a retrieval plan. "I shot a duck and it fell in the water and floated away", isn't responsible and will get a phone call or email to council, the local paper or ministry. If you don't have a retriever you need a boat of some kind. The water drops off near shore and it's a tidal area. If I hunt certain areas here I have a boat and my retrievers because at times birds sail off and I call my dogs back and use the boat to recover birds.
Follow the rules, if you observe non-hunting public in the area consider them in any decision you make regarding shooting. Be aware of houses in the area when and where you set up. Pass on long shots, the birds are hard to recover if you drop one way out on the water because of water flow and tides.

As someone who lives in Coquitlam I've been doing a bit of research on hunting locally. Just something about being able to hunt at home (before they make it totally illegal). During hunting season, the area after the dyke is legal for shot only. I was wondering if getting past the dyke on foot was allowed (I've been to the area before a few times and have found a spot with foot access, just not sure about carrying a shotgun through). Also wondering if that area is a good idea in general, I've seen plenty of ducks there, know Minnekhada used to be a hunting lodge, and I know of some folks who used to hunt Goose Island. If anyone's got something to help a young newbie out that'd be awesome. If anyone else is familiar with the area and heading out when the season starts, that would be cool too.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6497&stc=1

suburbboy
10-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Thanks so much for the reply Dano,

I had heard of that council meeting and will never vote for Selina Robinson in my life, I looked into it and some of her statements were ludicrous.

I would definitely be transporting my shotgun in a case, since I have an over-under, would putting it in my hunting pack be suitable (or is that "concealment").

I know that the trail off the road (the one that curves shortly after the gravel road turns right) leads to the end of the dyke past which it appears to be legal hunting, however this seems too close to a trail that's used by walkers, are there any other foot access points?

I have a canoe and an inflatable boat (both paddle not motor) that I was thinking of using, and I know someone who uses a fishing rod with a large treble hook to retrieve from his boat, does that seem suitable or do I really need to reconsider hunting past the dykes at Addington point until my boating is a little more advanced?

Thanks so much for the info

Dano
10-01-2017, 01:28 PM
I'll send you a pm.