PDA

View Full Version : Northern Moose Rut Status

ElliotMoose
09-26-2017, 01:43 PM
After no successful local draws this year my brothers and I are headed north for our moose hunt this Thursday. I know the weather has been a little off so I'm wondering what guys are seeing as far as rut activity. We would have rather left a week ago but due to work we had to push it back. We will be hunting the Chetwynd/HH/FSJ portion of the province. Has it peaked? I'm seeing warm weather in that neck of the woods the next few days, have the mornings been cool? Hopefully I'll have something to post up when I return.

Cheers

squamishhunter
09-26-2017, 03:33 PM
Only seen a few cows this year so far, none with bulls hanging around. Very quiet, rut is awhile off. Although they are calling for snow Sunday haha

Guess I should add this was Labor Day weekend

kitnayakwa77
09-26-2017, 04:02 PM
got a big bull on Sept 14. Rutting hard, came to grunts and was beating up bushes.

Skull Hunter
09-26-2017, 06:24 PM
Called in a non-legal bull moose on Saturday in the area you're going too.

gcreek
09-26-2017, 08:28 PM
All 12 of them between here and the Fraser are grunting tonight. Should be easy calling up north.

f350ps
09-26-2017, 08:32 PM
All 12 of them between here and the Fraser are grunting tonight. Should be easy calling up north.
So there was 13 before your gut shooting pals got theirs? Just curious, as you seem to have a finger on the pulse! :) K

gcreek
09-26-2017, 08:49 PM
So there was 13 before your gut shooting pals got theirs? Just curious, as you seem to have a finger on the pulse! :) K

13 IS an unlucky number!!!

two-feet
09-26-2017, 09:13 PM
Should be good hunting now. Might be less action during the day when its warm. Last 2 years i have shot bulls on sept 27. Wish i was headed north again this year

ElliotMoose
09-26-2017, 10:36 PM
Perfect. I'll be my throwing out my sleaziest cow calls come this Friday. Haven't been out once yet this year due to local fires, the bans and then work. Game on!!!

Caribou_lou
09-26-2017, 10:44 PM
Same time every year. Same show. Warm at the moment. A cold calm morning helps with calling them in. Should be one soon here!

Ltbullken
09-27-2017, 08:53 AM
Rut is on. Weather will affect behaviour but the rut is on. If you're in a spot rife with moose sign, do some calling early morning and late afternoon. If it's warm and clear during the day, scout for sign, nap, and return for late afternoon/evening hunt. The moose will move around more early AM and late PM if its warm and clear. The weather doesn't affect 'when the rut starts', just level of activity. I'm heading out on Fri AM for our Moose LEH up north! =D

Stresd
09-27-2017, 01:48 PM
I'm heading out on Fri AM for our Moose LEH up north! =D

Same here. 4am on the road to Fort St James. Camp setup by 7, relaxing around the fire with a beer in hand. (provided all stars are aligned);)