PDA

View Full Version : wall tent stove jack ---> side vs roof?

Andrewh
09-26-2017, 09:20 AM
The way I see it, a roof location makes more sense as you get a greater draft and the stove pipe is more supported.

thoughts?

fuzzy
09-26-2017, 09:44 AM
I like to put a tarp over my wall tent. Eventually will get a porch/fly combo. I would say put it in the front sidewall or back wall this way the stove pipe doesn't interfere the tarp. As far as draft for the stove I have 3' vertical, 3 feet horizontal heading out the jack and another 3' vertical once outside I have no problems with smoke or burning. I run a 5' tall heat shield and have my stove right to the back and turned sideways for more interior space. It's also super easy to build a telescoping support with a couple of thumb screws and use a large hose clamp or band clamp to secure everything. Have fun with your wall tent!

cmac
09-26-2017, 09:44 AM
I have always used a side vent for my stove. Never had any issues, draws fine and dont have creasote running onto the stove jack. If you figure out a stove pipe support begore you leave home you are all set.

wideopenthrottle
09-26-2017, 10:22 AM
plus that pipe running sideways throws off heat

BCBRAD
09-26-2017, 10:39 AM
Coastal folk like to have the pipe out the side, a lot like the pipe on the back wall as well.

Interior folks, like me, like the pipe out the roof in the front left corner....right corner if your left handed.

Tarping the canvas tent ,I think , is a hold over when canvas was loosely weaved which caused drips when raining, thus the tarp and side exhaust.

With the newer tight weave (think thread count here) those are now problems of the past.

The two canvas tents we have are 10.5 oz per square yard 'tight weave', they do not drip at all in heavy rain or snow, the pipe goes straight up and off the stove through the roof. Decent dry wood does not cause creosote dripping all over.

So, whether it is up the roof or out the wall, depends on the weave and cultural differences. That said, I've seen some engineering masterpieces to arrange the pipe out the wall.

wideopenthrottle
09-26-2017, 10:57 AM
we only use tarp sometimes with a second tarp as a fly..the canvass is long gone years ago...

whitlers
09-26-2017, 12:12 PM
We use an insulated tarp over the wall tent so we side vent. Works fine.

fuzzy
09-26-2017, 12:13 PM
I use a tarp for a few reasons. I find the tarp helps with any snow load, it protects the canvas from staining of falling leaves, uv degradation as well as moisture control and retains a bit of heat. My tent is about 8 years old, has 60 nights of use and is in great shape. Everyone's uses and expectations are different but from what I've seen of Andrew H on here he seems to be a "do it once, do it right" kinda guy when it comes to outfitting himself.

Citori54
09-26-2017, 12:16 PM
We have the stove pipe through the roof in the front corner. We use an insulating tarp with a 2' x 2' hole cut in it to accommodate the stove pipe.

Ubertuber
09-26-2017, 05:59 PM
Mine goes out the side. Draft and support have never been an issue.

Good2bCanadian
09-26-2017, 06:47 PM
Front corner, out the side. 12x14 tent.

markomoose
09-26-2017, 08:47 PM
Out the back/middle of tent /No issues

Elkchaser
09-26-2017, 08:55 PM
Mine runs out back wall. Only challenge encountered years ago was spiking the back wall base far enough from stove to avoid stove damage but not too far to avoid any creosote drips.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
09-27-2017, 07:41 PM
I have to be the odd ball here. My home made stove Chimney comes out the bottom at or below ground level.

fuzzy
09-27-2017, 10:05 PM
The odd man out needs to give some details.... please.

Rkodama
09-27-2017, 11:14 PM
The company I bought my tent from made me a custom vinyl tarp with a fireproof hole in it. This lets me put mine through the roof and have a fly... simpler set-up for me... I like it.

The Hermit
09-28-2017, 12:26 AM
I recommend putting the stove jack out the back wall. Placement is 1/3 the way in from the wall. I also put a single zipper door in the back wall that is 1/3 the way in from the other wall. Lots of stove pipe inside the tent as the jack is up quite high. The door allows you to put the wood inside without dragging it all the way through the tent cutting down on the mess. Also the second egress makes late night exits handy for the guys on that end of the tent. Lots of my customers love this set up.

shafty85
09-03-2018, 04:28 PM
Just ordered a tent from Deluxe wall tents - we'll be going out the side wall front left corner (when looking at the door). Beau convinced me it was the way to go. We'll be tarping as it will primarily be used for sled-accessed skiing and we'll want to shed snow load as much as possible (island snow = wet and heavy). It's not uncommon to even have snow followed by rain followed by snow - definitely want the tarp to help the snow slide off. Plus, deluxe wall tents provides an exterior stove support so that solves that issue that has been brought up.

IslandWanderer
09-03-2018, 04:36 PM
I got my tent this summer, so have yet to use it. Chimney out the roof though.

shafty85
09-03-2018, 04:49 PM
I got my tent this summer, so have yet to use it. Chimney out the roof though.

Who'd you get yours through? Why did you choose through the roof?

tomahawk
09-03-2018, 07:29 PM
I had a roof hole front left for 30 years, now have a side hole front left going into the second season. Already prefer the side hole. Couple reasons why. First I now can put a full tarp on the roof and in lower then minus - 20 temps we layer several tarps to create some insulation to help keep the tent warm through the night. Second is that the un-tarped area near the pipe on the roof vent on an older canvas tent will leak in time on to the stove and firewood supply.

trebreklaw
09-04-2018, 07:33 PM
50 yrs of wall tent experience. Tried various locations but the last 25 it has been smack dab in the middle of roof.
14 x16 tent allows for 4 people and we all get the same heat. Also use a fly tarp with a cut out around pipe. After a week of steady rain most tents will drip.

Downwindtracker2
09-04-2018, 08:14 PM
Mess stays in the corner. Stove pipe is used so creosote drains into the stove, but you'll still get staining. I don't know if there is an answer.

kootenaycarver
09-04-2018, 08:50 PM
Through the roof, front left corner. Heavy Poly tarp with a snug opening for stove pipe. Stove draws well, never had any water issues.

jjsachmoe
09-04-2018, 09:08 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7090&stc=1My hunting partner and I did this to solve the problem of support on the stove pipe on our through the back wall . Pipe screws right into the support. Works awesome and allows the use of a full tarp.

shafty85
09-04-2018, 09:45 PM
^^^ That is AWESOME. Unfortunately, in a 10x12 I don't have room to run it out the back wall (not wide enough) but when we have kids and upsize the tent I can see that happening. I gotta figure out if I can rig something similar off the corner at the porch!

moosecamp
09-04-2018, 10:33 PM
Ive had both, through the wall and through the roof. Just bought a new wall tent and went back to the through wall. Don't want to be cutting anymore holes in $60.00 tarps. No more tarps shifting in winds and melting against the stove pipe when though the roof.

Ubertuber
09-05-2018, 12:37 PM
Yup, through the wall. Drafting has never been an issue. I use a large beach umbrella screw to hold the pipe support post. Works like a charm.

shafty85
10-24-2018, 06:43 PM
Been out in the wall tent twice wince we bought it and have found the side wall to work well so far. Set it up in Tofino in a downpour and we stayed dry inside (once we dug a trench to divert water from flowing over the ground into the tent) and had zero issue with water or creosote running down the stove pipe into the tent. Right now I'm using 5 sections of 5" pipe but I'm thinking of eliminating 3 of them and replacing with a nesting pipe after the second elbow so as to maintain/increase the height above the ridge and create more room inside the stove for storage during transportation and when not in use.

(for some reason it won't let me upload a photo of the setup)

Brno22F
10-25-2018, 01:05 PM
I have always used a side vent for my stove. Never had any issues, draws fine and dont have creasote running onto the stove jack. If you figure out a stove pipe support begore you leave home you are all set.

For exterior stove pipe support we use 3 green alder or aspen poles in a tee pee configuration with a bit of haywire to hold them together. works great and no extra gear to pack.

wideopenthrottle
10-25-2018, 01:15 PM
http://westernoutdoors.ca/thread/237/wall-tents?page=1&scrollTo=3220
this is what we do

Good2bCanadian
10-25-2018, 03:10 PM
For exterior stove pipe support we use 3 green alder or aspen poles in a tee pee configuration with a bit of haywire to hold them together. works great and no extra gear to pack.

We do the same.