PDA

View Full Version : 7 day any bull season, 6-1 to 6-15,

Leveraction
09-25-2017, 09:25 PM
okay, I'm gonna go way out here and see how thick or thin the ice is.
I've been in Alberta most of my adult life, now I'm in the Vancouver area, living here 19 months now and this fall is my first hunting season in BC.
I'm a construction site Superintendent and the economy is good here for my line of work.
I have hunted 36 years now and have taken my fair share of game.
come October 18th, mid afternoon, I will be heading up to Prince George and by that time will have decided where I'm going for opening morning October 20th.
I shoot a Savage model 99 lever action .308 ( hence my name ), this gun was given to me by my dad on my 17th
I just picked up a Marlin 45-70 as a just in case.
I'm picking up a quad in Kamloops and will be on my way.

when it comes to moose hunting, I have a condition called " first bull syndrome " ....... self explanatory
I've always bought a black bear tag, and have seen some nice bears, never wanted to or needed to take the shoot, but this year I am thinking of trying bear sausages.

I have one question, is the terrain ( cut lines ) quadable ?
have a truck box tent just bought on line and looking forward to a week off

S.W.A.T.
09-26-2017, 05:23 AM
Won't find much for cut lines in 6. You will be looking for cut blocks. It's been covered through lots of threads the difficulties in hunting in region 6, especially during open season. I commend the effort but it is going to be one of the most frustrating hunts you may go on. Limited road access with many people hunting.

139grainsofhell
09-26-2017, 06:00 AM
Last time I hunted 6-1 was 10 years ago open season got out of truck to piss six different trucks pass d from the rear and 8 from the front thought I was still in Vancouver saw one cow and calf in the week I was there. Haven't had an leh for 15 yrs so haven't been back since

Wild one
09-26-2017, 07:50 AM
Lots of threads on here lately about southern 6 moose season search the threads and you will see the trend in comments

My opinions go to 7b and count points it's better odds of success. I live in 6 and my moose hunting will be in 7b that should say something

longfin
09-26-2017, 08:02 AM
Been hunting 6-9 for ten years now. Moose per year for our camp of 4 guys.Very,very busy.Best spots I've found have been quad only. Be in your zone in the dark. Hunt for 2-3 hrs. Scout, sleep or fish until last hour, repeat. Lots of great country. Good luck

BCBRAD
09-26-2017, 08:13 AM
I hunt region 6 during the open big bull week, when I'm tagless.

The OP's choice of rifles/cartridges may limit success. There are many 'cuts' that can require a very long shot, easily out to 500 yards.....alternatively you can get one a spitting distance as well.

Anyway, the limitation is having to pass on an animal because of distance and tools used.

A good range finder and a scope that can be dialed to the known distance will increase your odds.......you don't need a magnum, a 30-06 will do.

Wild one
09-26-2017, 08:33 AM
Not many times I have seen the need for 500yard shots but our hunting style is probably very different

Amphibious
09-26-2017, 09:49 AM
I juat came back from 3 weeks flying in 6-21. Its wide open now for any bull and they are everywhere.... if you have a team of horses or a float plane. Anything near the main roads are smothered in hunters.

the one week any-bull season in Reg 6, in my experience, is a road hunting, blue tarp mega camp goat rodeo. Not my first choice.

BCBRAD
09-26-2017, 10:50 AM
Not many times I have seen the need for 500yard shots but our hunting style is probably very different

If you see a shooter standing in a large cut and the animal is 500 yards out, with the tools described by the OP, that would constitute a pass for me.

With the proper tools and practice the long shot is very certain.

BTW my average shot on moose is 150 yards, shortest 50' longest 425 yards.

Bigdoggdon
09-27-2017, 02:47 AM
Ive hunted Region 6 for almost 30 years. you used to see 10-12 moose a day and take you pick of the bulls. Now you lucky if you see 5 moose in the whole week. Basically unless you have a float plane to hit an isolated lake, a team of pack horses, or you want to spend 3 days hiking in and a week packing out your moose you're not gonna get far enough away from a road to actually see any game. The mountain pine beetle epidemic has led to whole valleys of wintering timber being logged out instead of small cut blocks in staggered areas. With all the new roads put in to log out the pine beetle the wolf population has exploded and expanded into area that they haven't been before with lots of open ground for them to run the moose down. Couple that with a segment of the population that goes out in the winter to wipe out cows and calves on the road and its not hard to see why the moose numbers have completely crashed.

BCBRAD
09-27-2017, 07:25 AM
Ive hunted Region 6 for almost 30 years. you used to see 10-12 moose a day and take you pick of the bulls. Now you lucky if you see 5 moose in the whole week. Basically unless you have a float plane to hit an isolated lake, a team of pack horses, or you want to spend 3 days hiking in and a week packing out your moose you're not gonna get far enough away from a road to actually see any game. The mountain pine beetle epidemic has led to whole valleys of wintering timber being logged out instead of small cut blocks in staggered areas. With all the new roads put in to log out the pine beetle the wolf population has exploded and expanded into area that they haven't been before with lots of open ground for them to run the moose down. Couple that with a segment of the population that goes out in the winter to wipe out cows and calves on the road and its not hard to see why the moose numbers have completely crashed.

Yes, the game has changed in that area. Opportunities are not as prevalent, therefore the tactics must change....for the most part.